PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel offset by about 15 degrees?

lorrieandjas
13th January 2013, 07:53 PM
Hey guys - just had new Mickey Thompsons put on last week - went from 31" to 33" tyres and I've found the steering wheel now sits to the left at about 15 degrees on a straight line. Had a wheel alignment when the tyres were fitted - but I seem to recall if the steering wheel isn't centred there's an issue with alignment. Not lifted yet - going to do that in a week or so - what's your thoughts on why this happens?

Jas

pearcey
13th January 2013, 08:17 PM
G`day Jas
I think that they did a bit of a slack job on your wheel alignment as they should centralize the wheel before doing the toe in adjustment
Then if on the road test they find its not correct they should readjust until it`s correct

threedogs
13th January 2013, 08:19 PM
X 2 just slack, lazy, forgetfull, pick one

lorrieandjas
13th January 2013, 08:23 PM
Thanks guys - that's what I thought but wanted confirmation. About to lift it so will get another alignment after that. That should sort it? Will go to a different place - can't be bothered going back.......

Jas

threedogs
13th January 2013, 10:04 PM
Fair enough to, if they cant get it right the first time bye bye.
I stick to one shop so they know how I drive etc where I go all these things make for a good shop
they have all my history, better than going here for this and there for that

BigRAWesty
13th January 2013, 10:12 PM
Hopefully the lift doesn't make it worse..
The tyre fitters have just been lazy, but when lifting, the only 2 ways of getting a straight wheel again is either pop they wheel off and reset it in the shaft or fork out for adjustable panhard rods..
But plenty of pics once completed.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

russ81
13th January 2013, 11:45 PM
They may have run out of adjustment on your drag link if that's the case the solution is to get an adjustable drag link.
Some places will bill you for an alignment and not even bother to do one. If that's the case or they have been half arsed then I would be pissed.

Edited: only half my post came through and reworded.

Sent while temporally motionless

Clunk
13th January 2013, 11:49 PM
Unless you have replaced the drag link with an adjustable one you will have issues with your steering wheel being off centre,

In short, solution is to get an adjustable drag link.

Sent while temporally motionless

Wouldn't that have only been an issue if a suspension lift was fitted?
Or foes having a larger diameter tyre do the same thing?
Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

megatexture
14th January 2013, 12:09 AM
Drag link would be for a lift tyres won't affect the steering geometry just raise it up off the road

Clunk
14th January 2013, 12:11 AM
Drag link would be for a lift tyres won't affect the steering geometry just raise it up off the road

Thanks mega, that's what I thought.

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

lorrieandjas
14th January 2013, 10:19 AM
Hey guys - just to clarify - I haven't done the lift yet. I simply replaced the stock alloys and tyres with 285/75/R16s. I would have thought that there would be no need for an adjustable drag link? I think the issue is that the alignment has been done poorly - and they either haven't centred the wheel or they haven't adjusted the tie rod ends correctly? This is a 4 month old car with only 5000kms on the clock......

Jas

megatexture
14th January 2013, 08:16 PM
Yea they got the apprentice to have a go on your car id take it back mainly to waste there time but you don't need an adjustable draglink. not sure what lift you will require one but I've got 2" and mines slightly out but not worth the extra coin .

Drewboyaus
14th January 2013, 09:02 PM
Hey Threedogs,
You're up my side of town, where do you take your rig for maintenance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

happygu
14th January 2013, 10:05 PM
Sure it isn't the camber of the raod...there isn't much that you can adjust with standard suspension components.

Gabe
26th April 2013, 04:44 PM
Mine has a 3" lift and the steering wheel was straight until i did the adjustable panhard rods yesterday, any ideas or should i just take the wheel off and re-centre it?

MudRunnerTD
26th April 2013, 07:15 PM
Mine has a 3" lift and the steering wheel was straight until i did the adjustable panhard rods yesterday, any ideas or should i just take the wheel off and re-centre it?

Yours will need an adjustable Drag Link for sure.

mudski
29th April 2013, 08:56 PM
Yours will need an adjustable Drag Link for sure.
Yep. Just been through all this. ended up getting the new drag link an got a Tough Dog RTC dampener while I was at it. Took a whole 30 minutes to remove and fit the lot. Now my steering wheel is off ever so slightly the other way :animierte-smilies-f Too much adjustment... I fix it another day...

GUtsy ute
29th April 2013, 09:08 PM
Yep. Just been through all this. ended up getting the new drag link an got a Tough Dog RTC dampener while I was at it. Took a whole 30 minutes to remove and fit the lot. Now my steering wheel is off ever so slightly the other way :animierte-smilies-f Too much adjustment... I fix it another day...

Only way to do it, as the only adjustment on a standard Patrol set up is toe in-toe out.

healy
29th April 2013, 09:10 PM

whats the thickness of the draglink and where from

mudski
29th April 2013, 09:24 PM
whats the thickness of the draglink and where from
Dunno what thickness mate. Got it from RooDogs though. Its not the super thick one, what ever size that is but its thicker than the stock drag link so its better already. Even the guy at the shop told me not to bother with the thickest one they had their. 38mm sounds familiar. Unless your doing super tough comp stuff there is no need for it he told me. Not happy how the dampener connects to the drag link though. Kinda poor effort on their behalf I reckon.

MudRunnerTD
29th April 2013, 10:04 PM
Dunno what thickness mate. Got it from RooDogs though. Its not the super thick one, what ever size that is but its thicker than the stock drag link so its better already. Even the guy at the shop told me not to bother with the thickest one they had their. 38mm sounds familiar. Unless your doing super tough comp stuff there is no need for it he told me. Not happy how the dampener connects to the drag link though. Kinda poor effort on their behalf I reckon.

Hmmmmm... Not sure I agree with the advice you have received mudski? Regardless it will be better than a factory one so a legitimate upgrade for sure.

Here is my logic. The drag link is IN FRONT of the diff and is fully exposed to everything! By the time your front diff has taken a hit your tie rod is protected behind tHe diff but the drag link!! Not so! 4140 Chromoly for the drag link is the only choice. It will take a hit before the diff will and is probably the most exposed item on the car. You can sit your car on the drag link in deep ruts let alone a stump or rock in the bush.

Anyone looking for this upgrade should spend the money on the best you can buy for a drag link, spend less in the tie rod but spend the money n the drag link.

In order or priority and purchase for under chassis running gear upgrades on a GQ and GU are IMO, Drag Link, Lower Trailing arms, Tie Rod. All 4140 chromoly if you have the funds. Both my cars have these upgrades from Superiors and have never bent them never been let down with broken running gear.

mudski
29th April 2013, 10:20 PM
I suppose it depends on what you do with your Troll. While I agree that the heavier is obviously stronger, chances are I will never need the heavier arm for my use.

somersetj
14th August 2013, 08:22 PM
Is it possible to change the steering wheel alignment at home?

MudRunnerTD
14th August 2013, 08:57 PM
Is it possible to change the steering wheel alignment at home?

With an adjustable Drag Link certainly mate. Park it in the driveway wheel facing forward then adjust the drag link until the steering wheel is in the desired alignment.

RubberDuckieGQ
14th April 2014, 11:17 PM
Hi all! Searched through the forum and found this thread - I have the exact same issue.

Had a 2" lift done last week, plus steering dampener and wheel alignment, and found when I drove away that the steering wheel is off by say 15-20 degrees when driving straight.

Is this a bad thing i.e. can it put strain or pressure where there it shouldn't, and should I get it fixed asap?

Or is it just the way the steering wheel was put on?

Hoping the latter hehe

Any thoughts appreciated :)

MudRunnerTD
14th April 2014, 11:45 PM
Hi all! Searched through the forum and found this thread - I have the exact same issue.

Had a 2" lift done last week, plus steering dampener and wheel alignment, and found when I drove away that the steering wheel is off by say 15-20 degrees when driving straight.

Is this a bad thing i.e. can it put strain or pressure where there it shouldn't, and should I get it fixed asap?

Or is it just the way the steering wheel was put on?

Hoping the latter hehe

Any thoughts appreciated :)

Hi mate,

Firstly there is absolutely zero effect on your vehicle. The only reason you'd fix it is if the steering wheel gives you the sh1ts being out of whack.

This is caused by the lifted springs. As you put higher spring in the chassis lifts higher and the distance between the chassis and the diff is greater. This means the non-adjustable drag link becomes too short. The drag link connects the steering box pitman arm on the right to the swivel hub on the left side of the diff and IS the steering link. Now it's shorted and has dragged your steering box out of centre and the effect is the steering wheel needs to be adjusted.

If you have a GQ simply pop the steering wheel off and re fit in the right spot. In a GU with airbags it's a little tougher and a Drag link is the preferred method of adjustment.

Bulbous
15th April 2014, 06:42 PM
I seem to recall that when I lifted mine, the steering wheel rotated to the right. You could be incredibly lucky here since yours is rotated to the left before you lift it :D

RubberDuckieGQ
15th April 2014, 11:23 PM
Hey MudRunner, thanks a lot for explaining!

Good to know it isn't an issue - wouldn't want to drive around doing damage and we're heading to Warburton on Thurs so taking it back to the workshop before then would have been a pain.

Yep it's a GQ so might try to straighten it ourselves!

Thanks! :)

01 BEAR
16th July 2015, 09:20 AM
Good to see the experts throwing their 2 cents in on this thread.

The guys who did your alignment didn't do a "crap" job, they weren't "lazy" either, there is ONLY ONE adjustment on patrols and that is toe adjustment. It isn't even individual adjustment, its a bar that you twist in or out to adjust the toe on both wheels at the same time. you set the wheel straight and then adjust the toe as even as possible and then nip it back up. that's it, that's all you can do on them for a standard wheel alignment. Your crooked steering wheel NEEDS an adjustable drag link and that will fix your issue. Any work shop that says "just take the wheel off and re-centre it" doesn't deserve a single cent of your money for work on your car and I certainly wouldn't be taking it back to them. I have the same issue with my truck and I watched the guys do my alignment recently to be sure they did it right as I'm not it the tyre game anymore. There is no other fix than the adjustable drag link.

My knowledge comes from being a tyre fitter and wheel aligner for Beaurepaires for about 2.5 years. Be careful what advice you take off forums mate.