PDA

View Full Version : DIY: Scan, calibrate and import a Rooftop Map for use in Hema/Memory Map software

Drewboyaus
11th January 2013, 04:11 PM
Hi All,
After plenty of buggering around, I've managed to sort out how to scan and import my Rooftop's paper maps into the Memory Map application and Hema Navigator on my iPad. So for all of you folks using those applications and who have never tried importing your own map, here comes my step by step guide on how to do it.
There is precious little information on how to do this out there on the interwebs so hopefully it can save someone else the aggro :furious: it has caused me because there are some tricks to it that aren't documented anywhere.
I also plan on undertaking a similar process for importing and calibrating into Maps n Trax, but first things first.........

Drewboyaus
11th January 2013, 04:37 PM
Before you can do anything, you're gonna need a paper copy of a Rooftop's map, IMO simply the best maps of the Victorian High Country tracks and historic sites all in one. I bought a new copy of the one I wanted because my existing one is, shall we say, well used and I didn't want the electronic quality compromised.

1. A new paper Rooftop's Map
2. Somebody with a jolly big scanner. I used Officeworks. it cost me about $2 to scan an A1 size original map.
3. A USB drive to put your scan on.
4. A copy of IrfanView; http://www.irfanview.com/
5. A windows PC (mine is XP Pro so cant speak for anything else)
6. A copy of Memory Map Navigator for the PC and $50 to activate the "Import 3rd party maps" option (will also activate this option on your iPad too); http://memory-map.com.au/memory-map-support/memory-map-downloads.html
7. An iPad (or stand alone GPS device but I cant confirm the importation process for one of those).
6. HEMA maps or Memory Map application on your iPhone/iPad.

I think that's about it....

Drewboyaus
11th January 2013, 05:38 PM
Ok, so hopefully you have the stuff you need.....and I didn't forget anything!

1. Take your USB and your paper map to an Officeworks that has a large format scanner. Anywhere else with a large format scanner will do too and some of the printing places (Minuteman etc.) may be a bit better for giving you more scanning options (which would eliminate one step). Officeworks worked for me though, so we'll stick with that.
2. Request your scan. Ideally you want it as an 8-bit TIFF file. The Officeworks I went to could only do a 24-bit version. This is a higher colour resolution than what is needed (8-bit), but that's ok, we'll fix that shortly......
3. Make sure you're near a BCF or something because the scan can take a little while......go for a browse! LOL
4. I hope you've installed IrfranView 'cause we're going to need that now..........
5. Plug in your USB stick and navigate to it using Windows Explorer. Locate your image and change the file name to one that represents the map you're creating.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24340

6. Open IrfranView, go to the "File" tab and open your recently renamed image. A tip is to disable the preview checkbox, otherwise you will wait a minute or so as it generates a preview image from what is a very large file.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24341

7. Now we want to reduce the overall image colour resolution as I mentioned earlier. We need to reduce this from the scanned image's 24-bit colour back to 8-bit..... Go to the "Image" tab and select reduce colour depth. From the next text box, you want to select "256 colours" and leave everything else as is.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24342
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24343

8. Save your reduced image as a TIFF type file to a DIFFERENT location, somewhere you know where to find it. I created a Rooftop maps folder on my desktop and saved it in there so I knew where to find it later, and so I didn't mess with my original scan in case I needed it again later too.......which I did! (but hopefully by following this you wont!).

That's it for this step, more to come soon.......

Drewboyaus
11th January 2013, 11:28 PM
Ok, this is where I got tripped up a few times and hopefully the lessons I learned will save someone else the serious aggravation it gave me.........
From this point forward I will use Memory Map (MM) to describe both it and the Hema Navigator software because they are one in the same.
The thing to get your head around is that Memory Map uses longitude and latitude by default to calibrate maps whereas the Rooftop's maps use a UTM grid (instant clash). Memory Map WILL do UTM data for map calibration BUT none of this is documented AT ALL in the Memory Map help file. You have to know by ESP that there is a setting buried in the various tabs to turn the feature on, let alone realise that MM uses a slightly different format to the UTM data you will find on most Australian maps!
Anyhoo, on we go......

1. Open the copy of Memory Map for PC you downloaded and installed earlier.......

2. You will also need to hit the MM website and create a user account. You will need this anyway if you want to download and purchase any other maps;
http://memory-map.com.au/memory-map-support/license-management.html

3. You will need to go to the next link to purchase (or activate your 5 day trial) the license to import 3rd party and scanned maps into MM. This is where your $50 goes.....
If you have trouble with the license activation and it can be a bit cumbersome, let me know and I'll post some info on it but I want to stay on mission for now......
http://w2.memory-map.com/cgi-bin/licuser.cgi?buydealer=1&feature=0x10000c6

4. From within MM, click "Maps", "Refresh Map List", and Add the folder containing the image file you created with IrfranView. When you have chosen the folder, clicked OK and the list is refreshed you should see your map image in the list. Highlight it and click the "Edit" button. From here you can add some data, its not critical for now, but I like to add the scale and map edition as a minimum. Click OK to finish and then double click on the name of your image file in the map list. This will open the image in Memory Map.

5. From within MM, go to the "Mode" tab because we want to change the position format from Long/Lat to UTM Grid. This is one of the bits that drove me nuts because nowhere in the help file does it suggest you might need to do this.....(slaps forehead). We need to select UTM Grid on WGS84 as per the image below.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24360

6. Open the help file in MM and look through the index for Scan Maps, select it and display. Read well. Some elements we have already done. Essentially following the instructions will get you to the end successfully but only if you do it together with my notes below.

Reference Points:
Easy as pie with Rooftops as they have grid lines you can line up to get it spot on. The Rooftop's grid lines are spaced at 1km so though not all the grid lines are marked, you can use some basic maths to count up and down from known positions to get the Northing and Easting points for each of the three references you need.
Don't panic, its not as tricky as it looks identifying the reference points.
Pick your three points and write them down (also mark them on your paper map so you don't forget where they were). From the Rooftops map you will get a four digit number for the Easting (grid numbers along the top) and a four digit number for the Northing (grid numbers down the side). For example; at your chosen reference the Easting might be 0439 and the Northing might be 5820, write them down like that for now because were going to mess around with them again shortly.

Calibration
You should have your three reference points chosen and marked on your paper map and the Easting and Northing references written down for each one.
Go to the "Map" tab and select the "calibration" option. A dialogue box will open. For each of your three points you will need to scroll around the map, pick out the location, click the cross hair on that location and enter the Easting and Northing coordinates you wrote down....what they don't tell you in the instructions is that this UTM information needs to be presented in a particular way.
Most maps in Australia have the area I was calibrating around Walhalla located in region 55H, in Memory Map this was somewhere between here and New Zealand!!!!!....it had me stuffed. It was only while looking around the basemap of Australia in the general vicinity of where I was hoping to be, I noticed in the bottom right hand corner of the map, MM had the region as 55S. If you look at the pic below, notice where the pointer is and in the bottom right corner the grid reference format. This was the clue I needed to work out the format MM needed for it's location data.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24362

I'll continue shortly........

Drewboyaus
12th January 2013, 12:15 AM
Well, that's annoying. Just looking at my image posted above, the cursor didn't show up in my screen print....D-Oh......I hope you get the idea anyway!

So now the calibration detail. In the image below you can see the location I selected for one of my reference points and the text box where that UTM coordinate detail gets added. Note the format of the UTM detail in the upper left. On the upper right, you can see two boxes, these are the image coordinates to which the real world UTM data will be attached (explained as best I can).

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24365

So if we go back to those original UTM coordinate example shown in the reference point selection (Easting 0439, Northing 5820), the correct format to be entered in the calibration would be:
55S 439000E 5820000N
You need to enter each set of coordinates of YOUR 3 chosen reference points. For each one, enter the UTM data in the above format and then click the "save point" button.

NOTE: I found sometimes when I went to click the "save point" button it would do something random to my carefully entered coordinates and I would have to edit the UTM data. Just keep an eye out for that.

Boundary
You need to set a boundary for your map and the help file is fine with this, except don't be looking for the route you mark at the boundary to turn red when completed. It will turn dark blue. I also needs to be completed in one continuous piece, not segments.

Other than that, if you follow the instructions you should now have all the missing info you need to import your own scanned map quite easily.
I don't imagine once you have the scan completed it will take much more than an hour to do the calibration and import each map.

Drewboyaus
12th January 2013, 12:28 AM
The Memory Map help file is quite straightforward on how to import your newly created and calibrated map into the iPad.
Follow that and you should in no time be enjoying the best maps of the Victorian High Country for 4WDing on your iPad with a moving map and all the features of your HEMA navigator.
The same principals would apply to scanning any of your favourite paper maps.

If enough people have dramas with the importation/export to iPad I will flesh this bit out but I think it's already covered in the manual.

I hope everyone has followed what's been going on through this thread and it makes some sense. Please post any questions you have and I'll do my best to guide you through.
Happy Trails!
Drew.

Ducer
19th January 2013, 10:09 PM
Legend! Started looking into this about 6months ago and gave up.

When I get a spare moment, I'll give it a go. I'll give it a go using vicmap 1:50 topo's.

Drewboyaus
20th January 2013, 09:09 AM
Good luck with it mate. Let me know if you need any help.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AB
20th January 2013, 09:10 AM
Nicely explained mate, will get back to this one soon!!!!

stevogq
20th January 2013, 09:45 AM
Excellent write up drew two thumbs up
Sent from my RM-821_apac_australia_new_zealand_218 using Board Express

Ducer
20th January 2013, 11:53 AM
Good luck with it mate. Let me know if you need any help.....

Will do. Cheers :biggrin:

Ducer
24th January 2013, 09:25 PM
Hiya Dreeboyaus (dba?),

I thought it might be best to post here rather than PM. I guess that way everyone can see.

Thanks heaps for the instructions... so far, so good (fingers crossed)

I have got up to the point where I have calibrated and put a boundary around the map (see pic) and I am ready to import/export.

What I am a little confused about is:
- Am I importing or exporting?
- Is the ipad considered a pda and therefore I should be plugging it into the pc to transfer?

For some reason I had a feeling that it would be done through their server.

If you could please clarify this a little further, t'would be ACE!!! :biggrin:

Cheers, Dave

Drewboyaus
24th January 2013, 11:22 PM
Ok, so you import it into your iPad through iTunes.
1. Plug the iPad into your PC.
2. Once iTunes has initially synced to the iPad, go to the apps tab for your iPad.
3. Scroll down to the bottom of that page to the "file sharing" window.
4. Click on Hema Maps or Memory Map (whichever you are using)
5. Click the "add" button
6. Now you need to browse to the location of your MM qct file. The directory structure will be something like: (laptop username)/Application Data (may be a hidden directory)/Memory-Map/qct
7. Select the qct file that corresponds the the name you gave your TIF file.
8. You should be done
9. Open up MM on the iPad and check the available maps at the location where you expect it to be and hopefully you're all good.
If you have any dramas let me know but I'm off to the Vic meet up at Woods Point over the weekend so won't be able to help out 'till I get back.
Good luck with it.
Cheers,
Drew.

Tap this.........

Stropp
25th January 2013, 03:34 PM
good work mate.

Ducer
25th January 2013, 09:09 PM
Thanks heaps Drew. Will give it a go over the weekend.

Have a good trip away

Ducer
27th January 2013, 06:36 PM
Works perfectly!! Thanks again Drew :)

The maps sync exactly to the previous routes that I have tracked in the past few years.

I have calibrated 14 maps, pretty much most of the high country. By any chance do you know if you can view all of the maps at the same time as opposed to one at a time? i.e - make one massive topo map so that you wouldn't have to flick between the files whilst driving

I'm going to have a look over the next couple of nights and see if I can't figure it out

cheers, Dave

Edit- nevermind, found my answer. Well, I think i haveMM forum (http://www.memory-map.co.uk/supportforum/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=4417&p=14186&hilit=Imported+maps+iPad#p14186)

A bit silly IMO. After navigating for years, i am not sure why people wouldn't want this feature available and if they didn't like it, maybe MM could organise it so that it can be turned off and on. Anyhoos, I'm going to bump their thread and see what happens.

Cheers Dave

Drewboyaus
28th January 2013, 05:47 PM
Good to hear you sorted it mate.
Got to test out my scans on the Woods Point trip this weekend and they worked a treat.
My navi was able to help guide the convoy with the Rooftops maps from about 6 cars back.

Tap this.........

custardchuckar
1st April 2013, 09:00 PM
Hi there guys,

Thanks for all of the useful info, athough I am having trouble getting the maps to show up on the Ipad.
I,m guessing because i can't get the Ipad registered. Is there a trick to do this, nowhere in the app does is give you the option to licence the ipad as one of the 2 mobile devices you get when paying your 50$. I have imported the maps on the Ipad via Itunes but they wont show up on the Ipad. I have reset the app like suggested but doesnt seem to work. Has anyone else run into this issue?
PS, I already had all of the Rooftops maps in Digital format (ozi) as I purchased the CD's some years ago before, It is possible to convert them with a bit of mucking around. Got them all working On the MM PC version ok but just not on the Ipad.
Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Cheers

Drewboyaus
2nd April 2013, 08:40 AM
Find a location that is covered by your maps. You should be able to choose to view your imported map at that location.
As I remember when I did this it automatically did checked online and did the registration.
Check the more maps tab and "All maps on device" too
Have you opened up the map shop on the iPad?

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....

Drewboyaus
2nd April 2013, 08:45 AM
BTW, please head over to the intro section, say G'day and tell us a bit about your ride.

custardchuckar
5th April 2013, 05:25 PM
Hi drewboyaus,
I have got to the bottom of the IPad issue, The software package is not correct when it states that all files that work for the PC will work on the Ipad.
The Ipad will only look at .qct files with a few different data files where as the PC version will aaccept a range of different image and text files.
To fix the issue i have converted all image files to .qct using .jpr as the data file and all is working fine.
So now we have all 44 Rooftop series maps on the Ipad and all calibration files were imported from ozi,s .map format.
Thanks for your help
Cheers

Drewboyaus
5th April 2013, 07:02 PM
Glad to hear it.
I did wonder if the file type was an issue. In some instances Memory Map will only read certain types of Ozi Explorer files (the older ones) but you seem to have sorted it.
Good job!
Cheers,
Drew.

mudski
26th April 2013, 10:58 PM
Would this work with Android? Haven't got a tablet yet but am looking...

Bloody good tutorial too Drew.

Drewboyaus
28th April 2013, 08:03 AM
Yes mate, should work exactly the same. Only difference might be the import process to get the maps from your PC to the tablet.
Cheers

Cuppa
17th November 2013, 08:42 PM
OK, either I’m being particularly dumb or the Hema setup on the iPad to get more maps (i.e..non DIY) doesn’t work. Any advice welcome.

It seems that the DIY scanning/importing etc as detailed by Drew is dependant upon running Windows. If you are a Mac user like me the only option is to use emulation software to run windows on the Mac. That is something this little black duck aint about to do. Soooo.... it would seem that instead of DIY, the only option is to pay for & download additional maps from Hem. I have to say that I find it quite bizarre, not to say irritating, that a Windows machine is required to put a scanned map onto an Apple iPad!

So in the Hema app I click on ‘more maps’. A box comes up with options ‘Digital Map Shop’, ‘All Maps on this device’, & ‘Sort’. Good thinks I, i can just click on Digital Map Shop to be able to browse what other maps are available, but no, when I do this all I get is a list of maps which came with the initial purchase of the app. I had expected, for example, to be able to get a map of say, Melbourne, so I could use the app to navigate my way around the city. Or a selection of larger scale maps for any selected area of the country.

Am I correct that the only maps available from the Digital Map Shop through the app are those Hema ones already supplied or is there any way of obtaining others?
Is there any way of obtaining the map files that have been scanned for importation into the app without contravening copyright?
I’d be happy to pay for maps if I can get them into my app.

Cuppa

Clunk
17th November 2013, 08:52 PM
OK, either I’m being particularly dumb or the Hema setup on the iPad to get more maps (i.e..non DIY) doesn’t work. Any advice welcome.

It seems that the DIY scanning/importing etc as detailed by Drew is dependant upon running Windows. If you are a Mac user like me the only option is to use emulation software to run windows on the Mac. That is something this little black duck aint about to do. Soooo.... it would seem that instead of DIY, the only option is to pay for & download additional maps from Hem. I have to say that I find it quite bizarre, not to say irritating, that a Windows machine is required to put a scanned map onto an Apple iPad!

So in the Hema app I click on ‘more maps’. A box comes up with options ‘Digital Map Shop’, ‘All Maps on this device’, & ‘Sort’. Good thinks I, i can just click on Digital Map Shop to be able to browse what other maps are available, but no, when I do this all I get is a list of maps which came with the initial purchase of the app. I had expected, for example, to be able to get a map of say, Melbourne, so I could use the app to navigate my way around the city. Or a selection of larger scale maps for any selected area of the country.

Am I correct that the only maps available from the Digital Map Shop through the app are those Hema ones already supplied or is there any way of obtaining others?
Is there any way of obtaining the map files that have been scanned for importation into the app without contravening copyright?
I’d be happy to pay for maps if I can get them into my app.

Cuppa

Toss your ipad in the bin

Drewboyaus
17th November 2013, 09:48 PM

The iPad ain't the problem.....the mac is.
My iPad works superbly. So much so that I'll be buying another. I'm no apple fanboy but I can't speak highly enough about its ease of use. I have been a PC and network tinkerer for 2 decades but I deliberately bought the iPad as an appliance, much like a tv or microwave and it fulfils it brief as a web appliance as it should.

Anyway.

Hmmm cuppa, that is a curious predicament. It is an odd situation that there is no mac program. I didn't even realise that. Have you emailed the publisher about what to do?
You should just go to the map shop via the app and it will bring up a list of maps to buy. Not sure why it isn't doing that for you. I'm not in a position to grab my iPad at the moment. If it hasn't been sorted by tomorrow morning I will fire mine up when I get home and check it out.
What maps do you want mate? Can you get them scanned? I could convert them for you if you put them in my Dropbox account.

Cuppa
17th November 2013, 09:50 PM
:

Ok ........ So should I take advice from a purple hippo? hmmmm decisions decisions! :eck05:

Clunk
17th November 2013, 11:25 PM
:

Ok ........ So should I take advice from a purple hippo? hmmmm decisions decisions! :eck05:

You know the purple arse slapping hippo is make sense!!!!! Oh and don't listen to Drew he knows nothing nadda zip!!!! Lol

Cuppa
18th November 2013, 09:46 AM
You know the purple arse slapping hippo is make sense!!!!! Oh and don't listen to Drew he knows nothing nadda zip!!!! Lol

Well that assists my decision no end! Since when did purple hippos have their arses at the front? :)

BigRAWesty
18th November 2013, 10:09 AM
Well that assists my decision no end! Since when did purple hippos have their arses at the front? :)

Riding the wave.. Lol

That is a weird one cuppa for sure. Are you able to run the program On the Mac, download your maps and import them to the pad??
Seems weird the 2 Apple products are harder to use than the cp and pad..

I'd be contacting the app owners first and see if you have missed something??

Cuppa
18th November 2013, 12:42 PM
That is a weird one cuppa for sure. Are you able to run the program On the Mac, download your maps and import them to the pad??
Seems weird the 2 Apple products are harder to use than the cp and pad..

I'd be contacting the app owners first and see if you have missed something??

From the Memory Map web site http://memory-map.com.au/faqs/questions/4/Can+I+use+this+software+with+a+Mac%3F

Can I use this software with a Mac?
Memory-Map is not designed to run on Mac operating systems but we have seen it running perfectly on a Mac running emulation/crossover software. It works the Mac way, like other Mac applications

The official line is that we do not support the Mac operating systems and you should test functionality with any emulation/crossover software and Memory-Map software using the free demo and test it to your satisfaction before you buy. Any ongoing support is only made available in a PC context.

However, we can say that we have heard from many happy Mac users who are very pleased with Memory-Map and are enjoying full functionality on their Mac X system. Most of them are using VMWare Fusion or Parallels to facilitate this.

Will Memory-Map ever develop it's software for a Mac? - maybe one day. We'd all like to see a Mac version but the harsh reality of return on investment means it's not a priority right now.

So if I were to run some emulation software on my Mac, like ‘Parallels’ or ‘VM Fusionware’ I could then purchase Windows, install it on my Mac & use it to run the software that Drew refers to.
If I wanted to run Windows I would have bought a PC. Buying the emulation software, plus Windows, plus the calibration software could get a bit exxy even if I wanted to. Basically I am a bit less than impressed with Hema over this. I do like the iPad app, & you do get the full suite of Hema maps covering the whole country, including all their 4wd maps, but it is not made clear prior to purchase that if you have an Apple computer it is not straightforward to scan in other maps to use on your Apple iPad.

Cuppa

Drewboyaus
18th November 2013, 01:32 PM
Cuppa, I'm inclined to agree that is pretty crap. I didnt even give the Mac situation a second thought because it didnt apply to me. It is curious too that they dont suppport Mac but supported iOS before Android.......weird.
I've just gone into the iPad to play with the digital map shop and it is a bit confusing to sort out how it works. Again, it seems the best way is to use the free software to download the maps and then transfer to the device but that doesn't help those running Mac.
I'll have to frig around with it some more.......

Cuppa
18th November 2013, 08:00 PM
OK, so whilst it is not possible for Mac owners to scan & import maps without running emulation software & Windows on their machines, I have found that it is possible to import a limited number of maps into the Hema app , but whilst easy enough to do, the process is a little clunky. Mac owners need to purchase ‘packages’ rather than individual maps & those available can be seen here (“http://memory-map.com.au/digital-maps/digital-map-shop-dms/digital-map-shop-dms-download-packaged-maps-android-ipad.html”). NOTE however that folk who have purchased the Hema app you will already have the full suite of Hema’s Topo maps & 4wd maps. Basically that seems to just leave the street maps (US$18 per state) & the Westprint Outback Tracks map. As I said, pretty limited.

I had a bit of a look at the Westprint outback tracks map, but it didn’t seem to offer much, if anything over the Hema maps which came with the app. If anyone has ’spent time’ with both maps I would appreciate any comments as to whether you think there is any good reason to add the Westprint to the existing Hema maps (including their 4wd ones).

I did download & buy the Victorian Street maps & will likely get those for other states in due course.

Process for Mac Owners
Register at Memory Map http://memory-map.com.au/memory-map-support/license-management.html
Download the map you want http://memory-map.com.au/digital-maps/digital-map-shop-dms/digital-map-shop-dms-download-packaged-maps-android-ipad.html

From http://memory-map.com.au/map_downloads/Getting%20started%20with%20Packaged%20Downloads.pd f
Mac users – Map Packs are zipped up and can be downloaded to the Mac, extracted and copied to your iPhone/iPad as below. You do not need to run the PC app.

Connect the iPhone/iPad to the PC and open iTunes. In iTunes, select your device on the left.
At the top of the screen, select the Apps tab
Scroll down the page and look for the File Sharing section
Select the Memory‐Map app (or HEMA app) so it is highlighted.
Select the Add button on the bottom right of that section
Browse to the extracted Pack folder and select the map files. You cannot select folders, only files.
Select Open, you should see the files copy to the Memory‐Map (or HEMA)Documents section and/or see the progress bar at the top of the screen indicating a large file is being copied.
Repeat this till you have all the maps from the packaged folders copied over. Disconnect the iPhone/iPad from the PC and open the Memory‐Map app.
To get the full listing of maps, select the Map List icon (bottom left), More Maps (top right), All Maps on Device.
When you copy a map to the Apple device as described above, it is automatically put on Demo. (which lasts for 10 days)
Once you have decided you want to buy the package return to http://memory-map.com.au/memory-map-support/license-management.html , sign into your account, with credit card ready & click on ‘Buy Licences’.
The packages you have copied onto your ipad will be listed & you can then pay for them.
An email receipt for payment arrives a short time later.

Note. If you have copied more than one package to your iPad, but have decided that you don’t wish to buy them all, before following the above method of paying for what you want to keep, in iTunes with iPad connected to your Mac, select those that you don’t want to keep & delete them. That way you will only get the ‘invoice’ for what you want to keep.

For Mac owners with the Memory Map app on their iPad, the process is much the same, just read Memory Map i place of Hema. They are the same. Only reason I can see for choosing the Hema app over the Memory Map app is that it works out a bit cheaper to get the full Australia Hema map package. (Topo & 4WD).

Cuppa

Drewboyaus
18th November 2013, 08:11 PM
There is also the VicTopo maps which are based on government survey data at 1:25k so pretty detailed. I have that pack to compliment my Rooftops maps

Cuppa
18th November 2013, 08:34 PM
Is that this one Drew, or is 25k more detailed than this? This is one of the 4wd maps which came with the Hema app, but at this scale they only cover certain areas. Do the ones you are talking about cover the whole state?

Drewboyaus
18th November 2013, 09:27 PM
Nah mate, this is an example:

Cuppa
19th November 2013, 08:51 AM
Nah mate, this is an example:

Aha, that looks good. However at $100 per state (& WA, NT & SA not available) I think I’ll wait until I think I need them. For regular 4wd’ing in the areas covered I reckon they’d be a real boon. Actually to be honest I had expected to get maps like that when buying the Hema 4wd app, not to have to pay a considerable amount more than the original purchase to get them as add ons. The 3D view looks like it could be quite worthwhile. Can’t help feeling a bit irritated by the fact that as well as a cost of $400 on top of the cost of the app, that for that money a great deal of what you get is a duplicate of what came with the app.
Like I said, I like the app, but the way the whole thing is marketed leaves a lot to be desired IMHO.

Cuppa

FNQGU
29th December 2013, 12:11 PM
I did wonder if the file type was an issue. In some instances Memory Map will only read certain types of Ozi Explorer files (the older ones) but you seem to have sorted it.
Good job!
Cheers,
Drew.

Drew, like Cuppa, I run a Mac and have an iPad that runs the Hema App. I also have all the 100K and 50K topos for Qld on CD from when I was running OziExplorer for quite a number of years at work, along with all my old track files from Ozi.

Are you thinking that it might be possible to import the Ozi calibrated topos onto the Hema App via iTunes? Would be bloody great if I can do that.

How about the old track files? I can't remember what format they are in (whatever Ozi uses), but there is a gold mine of old info there I would love to load back onto the iPad and Hema if it was possible.

Drewboyaus
29th December 2013, 06:52 PM
Ben,
There is a complication with your combination of Mac and iPad as Cuppa found in that the software you need to use to calibrate your maps into the format Hema (MemoryMap) uses is only available for PC. If you can work around this then yes, you should be able to import your maps.

FNQGU
31st December 2013, 09:23 PM
Ok, thanks. I thought you were saying that the Ozi calibration may have allowed a straight import. My bad, I follow the rest.

Drewboyaus
31st December 2013, 09:30 PM
I'm fairly sure there is a way of doing a straight conversion of (the earlier) oziexplorer file types to MemoryMap format. In theory then you could pay for the import license from the Memory Map website and import to the iPad from iTunes, bypassing the Windows software issue. Haven't tried that but it might be an avenue to have a crack at

FNQGU
31st December 2013, 09:36 PM
My Ozi files are all from around 2004-2007. No idea if that classes as "earlier version" or not. I might have a bit of a play with it though.

Drewboyaus
31st December 2013, 09:39 PM
I think there are some conversion tools around for the oz2f (?) format.

Winnie
19th March 2014, 07:06 PM
I have just succesfully scanned, calibrated and imported two Rooftops maps to my iPad using this guide. Great write up Drew, I got stuck once but read through again and sorted it out. First one took about 2 hours, second took 15 minutes.

DSPIES
14th May 2014, 05:34 PM
Drew, this is the thread that keeps on giving.
thanks for the write up!

BigRAWesty
14th May 2014, 09:15 PM
A scab question.
Can maps etc be uploaded using the "trial version" and then still used after your 30 days??

Drewboyaus
14th May 2014, 09:49 PM
A scab question.
Can maps etc be uploaded using the "trial version" and then still used after your 30 days??

Umm, no. But one of the best things about it is the ability to make your own maps.

BigRAWesty
14th May 2014, 10:02 PM
Umm, no. But one of the best things about it is the ability to make your own maps.

So mm is what you used to track our foot prints in the high country??

Drewboyaus
14th May 2014, 10:07 PM
So mm is what you used to track our foot prints in the high country??

Yes mate. I am very happy with how it works. Costs a little bit to get set up but does everything I would ever really need in a mapping app. A couple of minor niggles but I use it all the time. I also have MudMap (as a second opinion) and rarely use it.

Rossco
19th July 2015, 12:38 PM
Thank you so much Drew, just finished scanning and uploading a heap of Rooftop maps to my tablet. Awesome write up would have been very lost without it. First map took about 2 hours of friggin round, the rest were heaps quicker.

A few things I encountered were, firstly Officeworks would not scan due to copyright, so ended up using Snap Printing who happy to do them. Also noticed it was doing random things with the waypoints - it kept changing when it saved one. Worked out that I was missing a number at the end so Eastings and Northings had to be 7 digits long Eg. 55S 5320000E 5911000N. It seems weird that Memory Map uses UTM zone 55S instead of 55H which all other maps use for that region. That would have taken me for ever to work out if ever, sure that would have driven you very crazy Drew, but thanks it has saved a lot of time. Also found loading was very easy being Android, just had to copy and paste the files straight into the Memory Map folder on the tablet which works fine.

Have tested a couple in the bush and they work very well, its so good having quality Rooftops maps with reliable track and other info and knowing where you are. Still good to have the paper maps too tho.

Drewboyaus
27th July 2015, 10:41 PM
Yeah Rosco, it's weird how some places will scan them no problems and yet others get their knickers in a twist about copyright. The officeworks near me do it no probs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cjb
20th August 2015, 02:00 PM
Have to say great thread Drew. I am new to the memory maps and only found it because I wanted to see if I could scan some maps and use them on my tablet GPS.

Has anyone done this with an Android?
I am using a Samsung tablet and pc using the trial version.
I have followed your steps on the PC Drew(Legend) but having issue putting it onto my phone.
I have calibrated it and put the route border around it but for some reason when I put the files on my phone in the folder the map wont show up in the " more maps" tab. if I go into the folder and click the .qct file it shows up but wont track with the GPS
I think I have followed all Drews steps?

In the folder I have .mmo, .gpx, .qct.txt, .qct, .jpr, .tif files

The MMo and GPX are only small files and exported them through the PC.

Cheers

Cheers

Winnie
20th August 2015, 02:23 PM
Have to say great thread Drew. I am new to the memory maps and only found it because I wanted to see if I could scan some maps and use them on my tablet GPS.

I have followed your steps on the PC Drew(Legend) but having issue putting it onto my phone.
I have calibrated it and put the route border around it but for some reason when I put the files on my phone in the folder the map wont show up in the " more maps" tab. if I go into the folder and click the .qct file it shows up but wont track with the GPS

Cheers

Cheers

Hey mate, Rossco has them on his Android tablet with no dramas so hopefully he might be able to help you.

Rossco
20th August 2015, 07:14 PM

Cheers

Cheers
Hi mate Yeah i have scanned maps on my samsung tablet with mm . When you say phone are you putting them on both tablet & phone or just tablet? Not sure how many devices you can have with a licence. Did they calibrate correctly, it did take me a bit of stuffing around to get it right, was missing a digit out of the eastings & northings and it was doing funny stuff. Does it show the correcet location of the cursor reative to the map in the bottom toolbar when you move the mouse on the pc? On the tablet once you press "all maps on device" then "map types" is the "tiff" box checked? Good luck these things can be bloody frustrating (for me anyway!!)

cjb
20th August 2015, 08:23 PM
Hey Rossco

I got it working with the calibration e,n are right i just cant get the first three digits to change.
I enter 50K and it reverts to 50N which puts the map perfectly above where i want. Except its just off the north east coast of Malaysia. :)

Rossco
20th August 2015, 08:42 PM
Ahh. . . Yeah memory maps UTM zoneing is a litte weird for some reason. Where are you, or the maps you are putting on? The maps for most of Vic (eastern vic) are zone 55H but memory map works when set at 55S. Try getting up the hema base map on the pc then pointing the cursor in the vicinity of the maps and check what the UTM zone (first 2 numbers & letter) is, then use to calibrate. . . Hopefully that's works! !

Rossco
20th August 2015, 08:52 PM
Also check eastings & northings are 7 digits each. I was using 6 and it kept changing to something different when i saved point. Took a bit to work out & was very annoying! !

cjb
21st August 2015, 09:27 AM
Thanks Rossco

Threw my hands in the air last night.
I will have a crack tonight with your tip.

Cheers

Rossco
21st August 2015, 10:59 AM
Thanks Rossco

Threw my hands in the air last night.
I will have a crack tonight with your tip.

Cheers
Yeah fair enough, sometimes it's best to walk away from these things and come back with a fresh head. . . It can drive you very crazy!! Hopefully it works soon. . .

cjb
23rd August 2015, 06:45 PM
Finally worked it out on Friday night.
Have to two digit Easting and Northing in save set point then high light the XXs XXXXXXE XXXXXXXN that shows up and put the ones you want in then save set point again,
Had to do this for each of the three before i moved on to the next one. If i did all three points then tried to change then it wigged out.

Great thread

Thanks for the help

cjb
23rd August 2015, 10:55 PM
My next question
How do i change Miles to Km on the app?
When tracking on the Samsung tab 4 its defults to miles.

Cheers

Rossco
24th August 2015, 07:13 AM
Sweet, glad you got it working. Yeah mm's bloody good but does seem a bit idiosyncratic just to get it set up, once it's going it's all good.

Top right on tablet should be a menu then settings then units. Should change elevation to merers too.

BSRT.Beast
4th September 2015, 02:52 PM
read this thread a few times ...... it all seems to much like hard work lol

why don't we build a data base of sharing map files.

some of them would be great addition to the mud maps 2 app.

Rossco
4th September 2015, 07:51 PM
read this thread a few times ...... it all seems to much like hard work lol

why don't we build a data base of sharing map files.

some of them would be great addition to the mud maps 2 app.
It is a bit of work but, copyright would be illegal and morally too in my opinion especially for the small map companies like rooftops. It's pretty much just the one guy who maps and field checks everything, that's why there's so much detail and info on his maps. I don't think it would be right to distribute free maps for everyone given the work that goes in.

Maybe I'm being old fashioned but you seem to appreciate things it a bit more after a bit of work has been put in. I'm sure people are pirating maps but don't think we should encourage it here.

BSRT.Beast
5th September 2015, 05:14 PM
It is a bit of work but, copyright would be illegal and morally too in my opinion especially for the small map companies like rooftops. It's pretty much just the one guy who maps and field checks everything, that's why there's so much detail and info on his maps. I don't think it would be right to distribute free maps for everyone given the work that goes in.

Maybe I'm being old fashioned but you seem to appreciate things it a bit more after a bit of work has been put in. I'm sure people are pirating maps but don't think we should encourage it here.

i understand what your saying and i agree fully. I already have a load of rooftops paper maps as do a lot of people.
It was just an idea since they don't do digital maps for which i would gladly pay for if they did.
I just don't have the patience to do it myself.

mudski
6th September 2015, 09:14 AM

You can email those maps to me when your done Rossco. Lol. [emoji1]

Rossco
6th September 2015, 03:35 PM
i understand what your saying and i agree fully. I already have a load of rooftops paper maps as do a lot of people.
It was just an idea since they don't do digital maps for which i would gladly pay for if they did.
I just don't have the patience to do it myself.
Yeah fair enough. It's a shame they don't produce digital maps there'd certainly be a very good market for it. Not a bad idea but still not sure how you'd get around the legalities & technicalities tho. It is kind rewarding doing them yourself or you could just pay someone to do the hard yards if you can find someone who's happy to do them! !

Winnie
6th September 2015, 03:58 PM
Apparently he used to do digital maps but then had big trouble with people pirating them and removed them from the market.

BSRT.Beast
6th September 2015, 07:50 PM
Been in contact with a guy who supplies the maps for a donation...... only problem is the format and i don't wish to waste my money
Here's the email ...................

Dear Colin...

yes.. I just ask for a donation.. as it cost me a fair bit to set up..

34 of the latest maps

I have them saved and calibrated for Ozi explorer.. in OZF4 format.... and also have them in jpeg and tiff calibrated for Ozi... so if you ever also require just an image to calibrate or print... they are i nthe right format

I only ask $50 which inc. postage and USB stik..

if interested just email me your address... I can email details for direct debit... or just email or ring through your c/card

BSRT.Beast
7th September 2015, 04:26 PM
Ok didn't go with the above option. A friend sent me a copy but I've since found out that because they are in OZF4 format they are useless for the ipad.

So I'm going to give up and stop running around in circles.

AB
8th November 2015, 07:53 PM
Finally got around to doing this, cheers drew, perfect instructions mate!

All working Winnie, needed the software update!

Rossco
25th March 2016, 11:30 PM
Just put another map onto my collection and forgot how much a bloody nightmare memory map can be at times. Bloody awsome once it's working but can be very temperamental and idiosyncratic, it's certainly worth it in the end tho ☺ . . .

AB
26th March 2016, 09:49 AM
Just put another map onto my collection and forgot how much a bloody nightmare memory map can be at times. Bloody awsome once it's working but can be very temperamental and idiosyncratic, it's certainly worth it in the end tho ? . . . Which one is that?

Rossco
26th March 2016, 10:50 AM
Omeo - Corryong - Threadbo, Rooftops of course. Looking forward to doing a bit of exploring around there next week. ☺

matfew
26th March 2016, 11:57 AM
I found ozi's old program to convert files to ozf2. You can find a program to convert ozf4 to tiff then use the older program to convert tiff to ozf2. Done it myself a lil while ago. Took some googling to find the old version as ozi don't have it on their website. Managed to find it on some Russian website. Good ol good translate was enough to download it.

mudski
26th March 2016, 12:54 PM
Just put another map onto my collection and forgot how much a bloody nightmare memory map can be at times. Bloody awsome once it's working but can be very temperamental and idiosyncratic, it's certainly worth it in the end tho ☺ . . .
Ive got the entire 2015 Hema map pack for OZ for Memory Map mate. All in the right format too. If you want it i can load it onto a usb for you mate. About 900mb worth. Plus i think i have the IOS one too. I downloaded this by mistake. Its about 1.5gb.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

jay see
26th March 2016, 07:53 PM
Ive got the entire 2015 Hema map pack for OZ for Memory Map mate. All in the right format too. If you want it i can load it onto a usb for you mate. About 900mb worth. Plus i think i have the IOS one too. I downloaded this by mistake. Its about 1.5gb.

Any chance of extending that offer to a time poor member?

mudski
26th March 2016, 08:04 PM
Any chance of extending that offer to a time poor member?
No problem John.

jay see
26th March 2016, 08:07 PM
No problem John.

Thanks mate, now to find time to get down there. Lol. Will work something out.

Bloodyaussie
26th March 2016, 08:36 PM
If i gave someone jims ipad mini could you load all this crap onto it.?

Might be a cuddle in it for ya!!

Rossco
26th March 2016, 08:46 PM

Sounds good ☺. I've got the hema explorer but is not the best in the bush, good for touring tho.
Just love rooftop maps for the bush has got so much local knowledge & info. . .

Winnie
26th March 2016, 08:52 PM
Sounds good ☺. I've got the hema explorer but is not the best in the bush, good for touring tho.
Yeah you just can't beat the rooftop maps!

mudski
26th March 2016, 09:41 PM
So the Hema maps are like the rooftops arent they?

AB
7th November 2016, 03:50 PM
@mb

pjhsv
28th January 2018, 01:42 PM
So the Hema maps are like the rooftops arent they?

Old thread, I know - but the sort of discussion that happens regularly.

I have the Hema Great Desert Tracks and the Vic High Country maps. They're similar to Rooftop's, but Rooftop's cover a much smaller area with every track listed and named. Hema are a little better to larger areas, but will still get you by.

Comparing Bright-Mansifeld Adventure Map and the Hema High Country, I prefer... both :)

Tomm0
16th June 2020, 09:13 AM
Old thread, I know - but the sort of discussion that happens regularly.

I have the Hema Great Desert Tracks and the Vic High Country maps. They're similar to Rooftop's, but Rooftop's cover a much smaller area with every track listed and named. Hema are a little better to larger areas, but will still get you by.

Comparing Bright-Mansifeld Adventure Map and the Hema High Country, I prefer... both :)

I'm not quite sure why people are using Memory-map over Oziexplorer? Ozi seems to be cheaper and the free version does more.

And I'd say have a look at Getlost Maps these days, and compare them to rooftops and hema. They're free, so you could have both if you want.

Gump
9th February 2021, 09:25 PM
This post was really useful. I followed all the steps, including copying them to the file sharing location via iTunes. But...., the map I scanned and calibrated doesn't appear as an option in the Hema App, either in "Maps at View" or "Maps Everywhere".
I've attached a screen shot of the iTunes file sharing screen hoping that might highlight what I'm doing wrong. I had synced after copying the file to the file sharing location on my iPad.
Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Rossco
10th February 2021, 07:39 AM
Hey mate wouldn't have a clue in regards to ipad or ios but are you using Memory Maps on device. Will need to pay the circa $50.00 fe to import own maps too. .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Gump
14th February 2021, 09:31 PM
Sorted Rossco, I was wrongly copying the tiff file to the Hema file sharing folder on my iPad not the qct file. Copied the qct file over and all is good.

mudski
26th May 2023, 06:48 PM
Trying to work this out, but I'm pure nuff nuff when it comes to this. Its seriously doing my head in. But I'll get there one day I guess.
Couple of Q's.
I notice a scan of mine is not square, its a bit skewiff! Will this matter, Can I just fix it myself? Or do I need to get it rescanned?
Plus When I go to create a new route to do the boundary, the option is greyed out. I have 7 days still on the demo...

Cheers.