PDA

View Full Version : MDC Campers: Yey or Ney

Clay
9th January 2013, 02:00 PM
Hi Gents,

I know there has been a bit of discussion about the MDC camper trailers in other threads but i was wondering if anyone out there has actually brought one and tried it out.

I'm looking at getting my first camper as a bit of a trial to see what I like in a trailer and what improvements would be benificial so I dont want to shell out big bucks.

The MDC's appear to be pretty well put together and seem quite structual for the price.

If anyone has had any experience with these campers ( Good or Bad ) i would really appreciate your opinion

lorrieandjas
9th January 2013, 03:12 PM
Hi mate - I can't say I've owned one - always owned Johnno's but thought I would pipe in with some advice. It's a good idea to figure out a few things such as:

1. What do you want to use it for?
2. How much are you prepared to spend?
3. If you are just trialling it why not hire a couple to see what you think?
4. What sort of extras are necessities for your answer to 1.
5. Other people's feedback (which is what you are doing here)

I know I haven't answered your question directly but this should help and will lead to other questions you will ask. The difference to me is if you get an MDC and it costs you say $10k all up and then you love campertrailers and it busts and you buy another one but different manufacturer you may spend more in the long run. Not saying MDC will break - as I said never had one - but just trying to give some food for thought on a big spend.

Hope it helps and good luck with your search.

Jas

Steve4wdin
9th January 2013, 05:47 PM
A friend of mine bought one just before xmas. looks the goods. How ever, I personally would not go across AU with it. I would not do any serious 4wding / camping with a MDC or any other flat pack type camper. If you are only intending on soft roading than it will be fine.
Steve

Lewy
9th January 2013, 06:00 PM
I wouldn't touch one if you payed me!!! Just like any cheap inport crap its not worth your hard earned cash!! You would be better off saving up and getting an Australian built trailer like Lifestyle Camper Trailers or buying a 2nd hand Australian built one.... If you think that a MDC looks like its well put together pop down to Lifestyle at moss street and you will soon see how craply put together the MDC's are...

Lewy

lorrieandjas
9th January 2013, 06:16 PM
A friend of mine bought one just before xmas. looks the goods. How ever, I personally would not go across AU with it. I would not do any serious 4wding / camping with a MDC or any other flat pack type camper. If you are only intending on soft roading than it will be fine.
Steve

Hey Steve - just curious on your definition on serious 4wd'ing? Would you consider the Cape or the Desert Tracks as serious or are you meaning mud and rock-hopping? I know heaps of trailer-based campers that have done AU several times and no issues. In fact their vehicles had the issues! :)

Jas

Steve4wdin
9th January 2013, 07:16 PM
Hey Jas, I personally have a lifestyle camper, and would be confident to go any where and any terrain with it. Well build good suspension. When i say serious 4wding I mean your cape trip coming up (dam you) or desert etc. I would not trust a flat pack type trailer. Tent is a tent is a tent. The trailer has to follow the 4wd and stand up to rocks, ruts recoveries etc. they may be the tow vehicle draging your 3 tonne car backwards out of a bog on the telegraph track being pulled with another patrol. Will a cheap trailer handle that sort of punishment? As I said they are in my opinion ok for soft roading only.
Steve

DX grunt
9th January 2013, 09:00 PM
Hi Gents,

I know there has been a bit of discussion about the MDC camper trailers in other threads but i was wondering if anyone out there has actually brought one and tried it out.

I'm looking at getting my first camper as a bit of a trial to see what I like in a trailer and what improvements would be benificial so I dont want to shell out big bucks.

The MDC's appear to be pretty well put together and seem quite structual for the price.

If anyone has had any experience with these campers ( Good or Bad ) i would really appreciate your opinion

You might want to hire a camper or two to see what their like before you buy one particular brand. Just a thought.

Take care out there.

Rossco

Clay
10th January 2013, 09:11 AM
Yeah,

I was thinking about possibly hiring a camper or two as a bit of a test.

I do agree with most of you guys, obviously an australian built camper would be ideal but as funds are limited and most of the second hand campers I have seen have had a bit of a rough life I guess the appeal of knowing that everything is brand new on the MDC is a bit tempting. The other advantage of getting a new MDC is there is at least a bit of a warranty behind it. I might keep looking around and try and find that second hand deal of the century.

Thanks guys,

I appreciate your input.

cheers,

lorrieandjas
10th January 2013, 10:05 AM
Hey Jas, I personally have a lifestyle camper, and would be confident to go any where and any terrain with it. Well build good suspension. When i say serious 4wding I mean your cape trip coming up (dam you) or desert etc. I would not trust a flat pack type trailer. Tent is a tent is a tent. The trailer has to follow the 4wd and stand up to rocks, ruts recoveries etc. they may be the tow vehicle draging your 3 tonne car backwards out of a bog on the telegraph track being pulled with another patrol. Will a cheap trailer handle that sort of punishment? As I said they are in my opinion ok for soft roading only.
Steve

Hey Steve - I think I misunderstood your previous post! :) You were saying the cheapies are only good for softroading but a decent campertrailer is OK?

Jas

Steve4wdin
10th January 2013, 11:01 AM
Hey Steve - I think I misunderstood your previous post! :) You were saying the cheapies are only good for softroading but a decent campertrailer is OK?

Jas
Jas Exactly

lorrieandjas
10th January 2013, 11:09 AM
Jas Exactly

Helps when you read it properly! I like the look of the lifestyles.

Jas

macca86
10th January 2013, 11:34 AM
Maybe try msg bigrig he may still have his camper for sale or steer you in the right direction. His is a good brand well looked after

Bigrig
10th January 2013, 08:18 PM
Maybe try msg bigrig he may still have his camper for sale or steer you in the right direction. His is a good brand well looked after

Thanks Macca

Yep - got one going if you're interested .. theres a thread in the for sale section with all the photos and details ... happy to haggle!! lol

NissanGQ4.2
10th January 2013, 08:38 PM
Yeh if you have the money Bigrigs would be an great buy, If I had some extra spare $$$ I would of grabbed it for sure as I think its an absolute bargain. I came across a camping trailer the other day just down the road from me, had a look @ it , knew of the brand " Johnno's " no price on it so knocked on the door and asked........$16,000 he wanted........I nearly died. To me Bigrigs looked a lot better than the one I seen

Clay
11th January 2013, 01:41 PM
I just had a look at your camper and I'm pretty impressed, looks like a nice setup.
Unfortunately I'm not at the purchasing stage yet, just doing my research as i save up some coin.
But when I'm all set I'll give you a yell and see if its still availiable.

cheers,

Bigrig
11th January 2013, 02:11 PM
I just had a look at your camper and I'm pretty impressed, looks like a nice setup.
Unfortunately I'm not at the purchasing stage yet, just doing my research as i save up some coin.
But when I'm all set I'll give you a yell and see if its still availiable.

cheers,

Too easy old mate ...

BoojaBear
6th June 2013, 12:15 PM
I have just brought my camper. All the advice I can give is get a long to as many different shows as you can. Look at all the campers out there. Even the ones you can't afford. Write down what you liked about them and want you need in the final choice. Then you just need to work out what you can do without.
There is not a perfect camper made

threedogs
6th June 2013, 02:16 PM
Lots and lots of $$$$$$ for basically a 6x4 trailer and a tent.
Think of it that way you may buy differently

mudnut
6th June 2013, 06:35 PM
The Dingo camper we have use of was bought second hand for around $4500-$5000. The only things I can fault on it is a bit of mould on the canvas at the back, and the fact the canvas is really heavy to lift. The internal setup is simple, yet effective.