PDA

View Full Version : Driver training

lorrieandjas
8th January 2013, 05:45 PM
Hi all - been a lot of posts that extol the virtues of driver training - but just wondering who has done what sort of training in their time? I personally have done basic and recovery but skipped the specialty ones. Is this worth a poll?

Jas

Sir Roofy
8th January 2013, 06:03 PM
Well basic training has been in issue here from time to time
i myself did basic traing to obtain a permit to drive around the old
s.e.c mines here in vic,but thats it the rest ive learnt as i go,it still comes
down to common sence ,if i think its tosteep up or down i wont do it
and if it looks like id roll going sideways look for another way
but living in the country we have an advantage over city folks
basic training is the best thing to hit 4x4ing and should be more
access to it but at a reasonalbe price ,ive noticed of late that some 4x4 clubs
offer this for free wich of course is an excellen t idea
but as a forum i think it would be unwise to take this on board
let the 4x4 clubs and training facilities look after this

lorrieandjas
8th January 2013, 06:06 PM
Well basic training has been in issue here from time to time
i myself did basic traing to obtain a permit to drive around the old
s.e.c mines here in vic,but thats it the rest ive learnt as i go,it still comes
down to common sence ,if i think its tosteep up or down i wont do it
and if it looks like id roll going sideways look for another way
but living in the country we have an advantage over city folks
basic training is the best thing to hit 4x4ing and should be more
access to it but at a reasonalbe price ,ive noticed of late that some 4x4 clubs
offer this for free wich of course is an excellen t idea
but as a forum i think it would be unwise to take this on board
let the 4x4 clubs and training facilities look after this

Hey Roofy - sorry - wasn't thinking the forum should offer training - was more just curious who had done what type of training!

Jas

pearcey
8th January 2013, 06:32 PM
Have done advanced cert.
As I do a lot of remote travel and camping I think the more knowledge the better.
But with every thing in life it`s 90% common sense but then there are those situations which you need help with and these courses can help here. The number of tourist that get stranded each year should make it clear that knowledge is good.I`m not knocking tourists,but the hire company's for not giving tourists any basic knowledge of our country and the operation of their vehicles. Over 20 years of out back travel I`ve lost count of the no of people we have helped and most would not have needed help if they had a little basic training

Sir Roofy
8th January 2013, 07:40 PM
Hey jas
maybe i miss read your post as well but as pearcey says
these courses are needed to help the tourists to under stand the harshness of our country
a simple thing as airing down in the sand or some rough stuff just might help
save a disarster

threedogs
8th January 2013, 08:29 PM
have done s few courses. including first aid. and chain saw.I''ve
have also done advanced. it all very helpful. everyone should do the basic
just so you know how your 4x4 works. Did instructors as well, like
Roofy though if I dont think its worth going up/down I wont. why should I dent my 4x4 to impress someone
not my scene, I just want to get there set up and drink and prepare a meal

AB
8th January 2013, 08:33 PM
Feel free to put up a poll mate, would be interesting to see.

Ive never had any formal training myself just bought up with the old man living and breathing 4wding and touring around Australia and learnt from him and my older brother however.....Some old fashioned traits learnt have and can be your worse enemy.....

How times of changed from practical to health and safety!

Just the other day we got called out to help a local landscape delivery truck get out of a bog and a family member just threw the chain over the tow ball for a light pull....tiss tiss...Was good to tell the old dog off though...LMAO

BillsGU
8th January 2013, 08:38 PM
I am an off road driver trainer and have conducted many professional courses as well as numerous club driver training courses. In my opinion the vast majority of people only need to do the basic course. This gives them enough knowledge to be aware of the terrain they are driving in and to make informed decisions. The rest then comes with practice and experience. The only other training I would recommend is advanced recovery. Of course everyone that goes into a remote area should do at least level 2 first aid.

growler2058
8th January 2013, 09:18 PM
I did Loveday hahahahahahahaha learnt pretty quick :)

Kev223
10th January 2013, 03:33 PM
Im new to the 4x4 world my first thing im going to do is join a local club and do the basic coarse.

lorrieandjas
10th January 2013, 03:35 PM
Feel free to put up a poll mate, would be interesting to see.

Ive never had any formal training myself just bought up with the old man living and breathing 4wding and touring around Australia and learnt from him and my older brother however.....Some old fashioned traits learnt have and can be your worse enemy.....

How times of changed from practical to health and safety!

Just the other day we got called out to help a local landscape delivery truck get out of a bog and a family member just threw the chain over the tow ball for a light pull....tiss tiss...Was good to tell the old dog off though...LMAO

Hey AB - do polls still work like you're sticky in the polls section? Send you the details?

Jas

AB
10th January 2013, 03:38 PM
You might not be able to add a poll once it has been posted, send me what you want mate and I'll add it to the post.

AB
10th January 2013, 03:39 PM
Or you can start a whole new thread and a poll to that one, either way....

Bob
10th January 2013, 03:43 PM
I was taught to drive by my Father in a Willeys Jeep at the age of Six.
Obtained my Drivers Licence the day I turned 18 and now have a Heavy Vehicle Drivers Licence.
No formal training other than experience. As Roofy says a lot is Common Sense.
Have driven over most of the High Country without any issues but the same as Roofy I will not attempt anything that I a not confident of Handling.
Having said that I believe that 4WD Courses would be beneficial for those without any experience and perhaps also an old Dog like myself.
If I had $1 for every K that I have driven in my Life I would be a very rich man.

BillsGU
10th January 2013, 03:49 PM
Im new to the 4x4 world my first thing im going to do is join a local club and do the basic coarse.

Great idea Kev. And club training is usually free, which when you look at the cost of driver training - it means in reality your first couple of years as a club member are free.

lorrieandjas
10th January 2013, 03:54 PM
Or you can start a whole new thread and a poll to that one, either way....

Hi AB - thanks for that. Created a new thread with poll to save you mucking around:

Four Wheel Driving Training Poll (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?17433-Four-Wheel-Drive-Driver-Training)

Jas

Morton
4th February 2013, 11:02 PM
I did both basic & advanced then joined a club to get the experience, I have learnt alot & still learning, highly recommend it to anyone, still in a club & have never regretted it for a minute