PDA

View Full Version : 2" lift questions and insurance

boggy2006
26th November 2010, 08:26 PM
hi,
my GQ is bog standard at the moment, but I'm consindering a 2" lift. Is there anything else I need to do apart from fitting 2" longer spings and shocks? eg. brake pipe extension etc?

Do I need an engineering report once done, or does it depend on what my insurance company asks for? On that note, does anyone have a modified vehicle insured with Budget and are they likely to accept the mods?

As for wheels, it's got standard 265/70/R16 on 16x8 alloys at the moment, but from past experience, I know muddies are the way to go (lookin' at 33"), but I do a lot of k's to work so need road tyres the rest of the time. Same questions above about insurance and muddies, also how do I handle swapping between 2 sets of wheels with the insurance company? Just tell them I use both sets?

Thanks for any advice.

DX grunt
27th November 2010, 02:44 PM
G'day Boggy.

Welcome to the forum. I would personally ask the authorities in your state coz I know nothing about that sort of stuff and rules change quite often.

One question may lead to another, to another, ect.

Now that you've asked the question on here, I'm sure you'll get help, anyway.

Take care out there.
Ross
DX grunt

YNOT
27th November 2010, 03:04 PM
For 2 inch lift all you need is springs, shocks and steering damper. Also a good idea to get a wheel alignment afterwards to check if you need castor correction.

Most insurance companies and state transport departments will accept a 2 inch lift as being safe and legal without the need for an engineers report, but ask your insurance company before you do the lift.

Most people get away with 2" lift and 33" tyres (tread pattern does not matter as long as they have legal tread depth), but again ask your local authorities and insurance company for clarification. If they say maximum 2" lift then technically you are not covered with the lift and tyres. Keep the 33" tyres for off road use only and if anything happens while you have the tyres on swap back to standard tyres before having the damage assessed.

Tony

MudRunnerTD
28th November 2010, 02:00 AM
Hey Boggy, i note that you are in West Melbourne mate. A 2" lift is legal in Victoria without any inspection and you can legally go 2" above placard with your tyre size also.

Most insurance companies will also be happy with a 2" body lift as well. So 2" suspension, 2" Body and 2" tyres and your on a winner.

If you get hassled by the insurance find another insurance company, there are plenty that will cover you with these few mods not a problem.

As to telling them about the tyre swap?? Dont bother mate, they aren't interested. Insure it with the most expensive tyres on it cause that is the cover you need.

On a side note, if your GQ is actually a Maverick ask them to give you agreed value or even market value on a Patrol and not a Maverick cause the Red Book values a Maverick about $3k less than an Identical Patrol???? Go Figure? :1087: :1062:

Silver
19th February 2011, 03:30 AM
good info re the Mav and insurance as mine bears the blue oval. Will check on Monday

Bigrig
19th February 2011, 08:14 AM
good info re the Mav and insurance as mine bears the blue oval. Will check on Monday

Hey mate - qld is governed by transport dept's vehicle modifications guides. PM me if you want a copy and I'll email it through - 2" lift and 33" tyres wouldn't even raise an eyebrow and even bigger is still officially "legal" so long as it was installed by a licensed fitter/mechanic, meets ADR regulations (which it has to in order to be sold in Oz - not including eScab stuff that's imported potentially though) and that it meets "sound engineering practices". I'm insured with AAMI and they have all the mods listed.

Silver
20th February 2011, 03:19 AM
Mine was with AAMI, and wife's car and house still is, but they hurt my feelings a couple of years ago by telling me that the Mighty Mav is too old for them :-(

It was the agreed value issue that caught my eye. If a nissan badge is worth more than a ford, I guess any remaining longreach utes must have good insurance payout potential (ok, just kidding)