PDA

View Full Version : How good is Nissan in Mackay?

Dark 1
26th November 2010, 07:38 PM
Took my 99 td42 gu into local dealer for 160 000klm major service last week. Asked them to adjust the tappets & find an annoying knocking noise in the front end. Not to hard right?
Well $1500 later i pick the car up, they tell me the noise in the front end is the radius arm bushes & the castor bushes [$ 750 approx]. As i drive off the engine still sounds noisy, i ring up next day to book in for bushes & ask them to revisit the tappet issue.
After a further $725 Work was "done" today.
1. according to them the engine noise is low idle speed! They said i need to get it dyno tuned to adjust the idle. I explained to them that it was mechanical injection not electronic so shouldn't you just pop the bonnet & adjust the idle screw , der!
2. They replaced the bushes & what do ya know the noise is still there. They say "oh maybe it's the panhard rod or tie rod ends I don't really know." So when i get home i crawl under my car & find a loose drag link arm & steering damper.

Now i'm no mechanic but my question is HOW GOOD IS NISSAN MACKAY ?:icon_bonk:

Kelvin

NissanGQ4.2
26th November 2010, 07:43 PM
Ouch, that's gotta hurt the hip pocket, shame you can't send them a bit for not fixing what they were asked to fix, should of told them to take out everything they had done as it didn't fix the problem and not pay them anymore than the service

Dark 1
26th November 2010, 08:32 PM
Ouch, that's gotta hurt the hip pocket, shame you can't send them a bit for not fixing what they were asked to fix, should of told them to take out everything they had done as it didn't fix the problem and not pay them anymore than the service

No ,i think posting something like this & warning others will hurt them more than my hip pocket.
Thats not really the end of the problems with there customer service , i didn't mention how i'd rung them 5 times to book the car in for the repairs & the only person to ring me back was a lady doing a customer service servey. Also they were supposed to change the front brake pads, but "oh no you never asked for that" my reply "i asked to do all the work intailed in the quote" reply " sorry we'll have to rebook it again" my reply " i don't think so" .

Woof
26th November 2010, 08:36 PM
Just my opinion, but I would be going back to them tomorrow morning and ask to speak to the service manager and if you got no satisfaction from him ask to speak to the Dealer principal, I would not be letting them get away with ripping you off Kelvin.
If you do go and speak to them try and remain calm, don't do what I have done in the past (and still do sometimes)............it gets results but these days you cannot threaten anyone.
All the best with it mate, maybe just let them know that you are a member of a national Patrol website but don't tell them which one.
Good publicity gets around but bad publicity gets around faster and can ruin a business.

beansathome
26th November 2010, 09:45 PM
i think u can report car repair shops that do unfair repairs that really did not need to be done.
same as if they do unorterised repairs and try 2 charge u for it u can tell them 2 return the car to how it was if they cant u drive away with free repairs.

i did it with some shocks they threw them out b4 i got there and i asked for the proof of that i said yes and they couldnt prduce it so i said return the car to how it was and they couldent because the old shockes were already gone so i got free shocks all round.\

u can get your own back with the ripoff car places u just gota go about it in the right way being firm but not going off and being prersistant u will become so anoing thay will start doing what u want and asking for the next person up will usualy get u there faster. if u are really getting nowhere and u are really being ripped off go to the department of fair traiding they will investergate if its something thats not right and also act as a mediator.

my 2c

RustyNails
26th November 2010, 10:34 PM
Understand the frustration and how you want to name and shame but just be careful because even if they are in the wrong (and I would not be surprised if they were having had similar experiences at other dealers) their lawyers will make sure you run out of money before they do.
Just trying to look after you little brother.

Bigrig
26th November 2010, 10:42 PM
Hopefully you can sort it yourself mate - but if you need a bit of assistance around the consumer watchdog and the ACCC I can definitely offer you some assistance free of charge ... you have the right as a consumer to an itemised (invoice and/or statement) of every piece of work performed against the billable charge. Literally they can't just put down things like "review problem - 4 hours" ... they have to break it down and you do have both consumer code of conduct and associated federal/state legislation on your side. Understood fully that some people back off in these situations, and Doggy hit the nail on the head - calm (the three C's - Calm, Consistent and Confident) ...

All the best with it mate, but if you are stewing it over the weekend and decide to take a bit of action, feel free to PM me ...

Dark 1
26th November 2010, 11:08 PM
Understand the frustration and how you want to name and shame but just be careful because even if they are in the wrong (and I would not be surprised if they were having had similar experiences at other dealers) their lawyers will make sure you run out of money before they do.
Just trying to look after you little brother.

Have only stated facts [that i have receipts to back up], and merely asked the question How good are they ? I don't think lawyers could attack that.

Dark 1
26th November 2010, 11:19 PM
Hopefully you can sort it yourself mate - but if you need a bit of assistance around the consumer watchdog and the ACCC I can definitely offer you some assistance free of charge ... you have the right as a consumer to an itemised (invoice and/or statement) of every piece of work performed against the billable charge. Literally they can't just put down things like "review problem - 4 hours" ... they have to break it down and you do have both consumer code of conduct and associated federal/state legislation on your side. Understood fully that some people back off in these situations, and Doggy hit the nail on the head - calm (the three C's - Calm, Consistent and Confident) ...

All the best with it mate, but if you are stewing it over the weekend and decide to take a bit of action, feel free to PM me ...

Thanks mate but i don't intend on any Accc action as i'm not stating that didn't do the work as charged. I have checked all as was in the itemized account and agree that siad work was completed. Merely saying not done to my satisfaction as the problem i originally requested be found & payed to repair has not been done. And there reply is "it could be ...... i don't know". Anyone would think i owned a space ship not a vehicle they sell & are supposed to be able to repair.
None the less "I Will Find the Problem" myself & repair.

kelvin.

Finly Owner
27th November 2010, 12:27 AM
Problem I believe with any make dealership is , if the computer can't tell them what's wrong, they can't fix it. The brain isn't trained to think for itself. The eyes are only for spotting birds waling past and rich fools we can rip.

My 5 cents worth.

YNOT
27th November 2010, 01:01 AM
It all depends who is working on your car and how good the workshop is run. I was a dealership mechanic for 16 years and I noticed there was 2 sorts of mechanics, lube techs who specialize in servicing but can't be bothered with anything more complicated, and proper technicians (formally known as A-grade mechanics), who can do diagnosis work, even when the computer can't tell them where the fault is. I was a technician.
A properly run workshop will either give a job like yours to a proper tech from the start or get a lubey to do the service and a tech to do the rest. From what you have described I think a lubey was given the whole job. It also sounds like your workshops administration left a lot to be desired.

Tony

Bigrig
27th November 2010, 01:01 AM
Thanks mate but i don't intend on any Accc action as i'm not stating that didn't do the work as charged. I have checked all as was in the itemized account and agree that siad work was completed. Merely saying not done to my satisfaction as the problem i originally requested be found & payed to repair has not been done. And there reply is "it could be ...... i don't know". Anyone would think i owned a space ship not a vehicle they sell & are supposed to be able to repair.
None the less "I Will Find the Problem" myself & repair.

kelvin.

Too easy mate - feel your frustration and hence the reason I haven't had any of my 3 patrols (and a pathfinder) serviced through any Nissan dealerships ... all the best with sorting it and well done for standing tall about the whole saga ... most on the forum aren't used to this level of seriousness from me!!! It's stops right now!! lolol

Bigrig
27th November 2010, 01:02 AM
Problem I believe with any make dealership is , if the computer can't tell them what's wrong, they can't fix it. The brain isn't trained to think for itself. The eyes are only for spotting birds waling past and rich fools we can rip.

My 5 cents worth.

Agreed, agreed, agreed ... and these are the first young fellas to tell everyone they are a mechanic!!

Bigrig
27th November 2010, 01:05 AM
It all depends who is working on your car and how good the workshop is run. I was a dealership mechanic for 16 years and I noticed there was 2 sorts of mechanics, lube techs who specialize in servicing but can't be bothered with anything more complicated, and proper technicians (formally known as A-grade mechanics), who can do diagnosis work, even when the computer can't tell them where the fault is. I was a technician.
A properly run workshop will either give a job like yours to a proper tech from the start or get a lubey to do the service and a tech to do the rest. From what you have described I think a lubey was given the whole job. It also sounds like your workshops administration left a lot to be desired.

Tony

What do you reckon the percentage is these days for the lube techs compared to proper technicians/mechanics like yourself Tony?? Seems to be an all too common problem when you google it on the net - don't doubt your creds for one second old mate, but these service centres now (IMHO) are going the cheap option and relying on kids to pick faults using all the gadgetry/computer units and use limited common sense and technical know-how.

YNOT
27th November 2010, 01:47 AM
From my own experience about 1 in 5. In a workshop of 20, 4 proper techs to do diagnosis work.

Tony

Spoons
27th November 2010, 09:25 AM
I had a similar problem (with a local mechanic) when my Rodeo diesel wouldn't start (it did sometimes but mostly not). He tried various things over about three visits and charged me every time. I thought I would give the local "diesel mechanic" a go. He tried four times (and charged me every time). His last fix was to put a high pressure in line electric pump just before the fuel filter (cost $600). The diesel knock was unbelievable. After one drive to work I took the pump out and threw it on the bench in the shed. He also had a local auto electrician install a manual switch for the glow plugs (even after I said I never used the glow function) which is hanging out of the dash by it's wires. He also cut the alarm module off because it had broken the bracket (another job I never quite got around to). He felt the alarm was stopping the motor from starting, even after I said it had no connection to the engine (I installed it mainly to use the central locking function). This was over a period of about six months. Eventually I tracked down the problem. It was the fuel cut off solenoid sticking shut. Took it back to the original mechanic (who was servicing the Patrol) and spoke to him about it. He agreed that this would cause the problem and replaced the solenoid. Voila, problem fixed. Except that, on startup, the motor would idle but not rev, even with my foot flat to the floor. This lasted about two to three minutes until the motor got a little warmth in it. It still would not rev normally unless the rev's were kept above 1,000 RPM or so.

All up, about $2,000 and the motor is still sluggish from idle, but at least it starts every time. Needless to say, I bag the crap out of the "diesel mechanic" around town and the original mechanic has been given the flick after that little episode and work done on the Patrol that I was not satisfied with. Being a small town it doesn't take long before word get's around. If they want to take me to task, bring it on. I have the receipts to prove what was done and can substantiate my claims.

pauljud
27th November 2010, 09:43 PM
Hi Kelvin,
I had something happen to my GU on a Cape York trip, ....cut a long story short....... had it shipped back to Cairns, asked the Nissan dealer in Cairns to repair, replace and fix on insurance claim, got the assessor to view the vehicle for clarification of damage and repair, he gave the ok to go ahead with work. (Now this took all of one week to arrange,look at, confirm and agree and then the assessor gave the Nissan rep a list of what would need to be done to my vehicle)
Once the rep saw the list of works to be done as approved by the assessor and ok'd by my insurance he said, won't be able to do any work for 4 weeks. (Hell, it was going to take 6 weeks just to get a new computer board from Japan to help fix the problem. BUT what this really told me was that they, (the dealership) are not too interested in the repairs side of the business so I immediately went to another provider on the recommendation of the assessor. (Who got stuck into the job right away - I might add, and this pleased me no end)
The moral of my story is that I too will walk away from the Nissan dealerships and try to locate a good mechanic that wants to fix my car in the future or do exactly what you're doing and fix it myself. Of course its places and friends like these here on the forum that you can glean information, advice and tips to "DIY".
By the way did that get rid of the noise after you fixed the drag link and the steering damper?

Paulie

Dark 1
28th November 2010, 09:19 PM
Hi all,
Well to date have not had time to fix as yet. It is really only an annoying noise & i don't believe to be detrimental although i do want it sorted. After some conversations with friends i have been recommended a local small mechanic so will most likely see him for any further major works.

Big Thanks for all the well wishes & hopefully will see you all oneday "around the tracks"

Woof
28th November 2010, 09:49 PM
All the best with your new mechanic mate, I have got to find myself a new one as well.......they are few and far between.

nissafari patregal
4th December 2010, 12:03 PM
give grittners in prossie a bell. jacklin are pointless at best and thats my nice version. bar that a set of car ramps and an assistant (assistants beauty levels irrelevant, just strength needed) to rock the car while you look from underneath can tell a lot. these things ain't quite swiss watches, and the suspension is simple to the point of agricultural so diagnosis is often simple. where in town are ya?

Dark 1
4th December 2010, 05:03 PM
The knocking problem is sorted YeeHa! Ended up being the bolts that tie the extended link pins to the sway bar. The washes were in the wrong spot meaning that as the sway bar loaded up it slightly bent the washer which loosened the bolt ,making the knock. Simply had to remove bolt replace washer with thicker item & slip extra washer between bush & sway bar. Problem sorted.
Was really hard to find [bit of sarcasm there] , mate & i were talking this morning & got under car had a fiddle with the drag links & sway bar links . The moment we touched the link pins it made the noise that's been annoying me for 8 months. You would think that a service agent would do exactly that wouldn't you.
None the less problem is fixed & i will install new brake pads next week so all is good & if nothing else i now know never to go to nissan in mackay for any work nor spare parts.

Thanks to all who replied & read this thread,
Kelvin.

Pete's GU3
4th December 2010, 06:21 PM
problem i believe with any make dealership is , if the computer can't tell them what's wrong, they can't fix it. The brain isn't trained to think for itself. The eyes are only for spotting birds waling past and rich fools we can rip.

My 5 cents worth.

here here !

Woof
4th December 2010, 08:03 PM
Great news there Kelvin, must feel good finding the issue and fixing it yourself mate:bigthumbup:

Bigrig
4th December 2010, 10:27 PM
Top job mate - persistence has paid off!!!!!

Dark 1
5th December 2010, 12:13 AM
Yeh guys is good to finally get the issue sorted, even thinking of going for a job as a mechanic. Can't be any worse than the guys working on my car previously.

Kelvin.