PDA

View Full Version : Patrol, gq, gu, td42 or td42t

Dales300exc
6th January 2013, 06:22 PM
Well, I just joined as the search for cars is killing me. Ive gone from late model rangers and hiluxs back to earlier patrols. I drive a 97 gq 4.2 efi and its a great car except for range.

Im looking at a 91 mav td42 tuesday.

I want something that doesnt have a zillion ks on it, if its turbo, great, if its not i have the ability to do it myself.

Budget up to around 27k.

Anything to offer considered but it needs to be clean and mostly straight with 300,000k being tops.

In victoria is preffered and closer to eastern suburbs the better but will travel.

Cheers all!!

growler2058
6th January 2013, 06:44 PM
Gday mate welcome aboard jump over to the intros and say Gday something we ask all members to do cheers

macca86
6th January 2013, 06:53 PM
27 g should get a great set up gu all the bells and whistles might get a td42 with higher. Km like 300ish but that's only just run in. You could also get a crd zd30 despite the bad press any zd30 after 03 and especially crd over di you are on to a winner. You'll also get great fuel and rego costs over a td42. Or you could buy a mint gq with all the bells and whistles and another comp car one for 27g

Winnie
6th January 2013, 06:55 PM
Mate with a budget of 27k you could have just about any GQ on the face of the earth

macca86
6th January 2013, 06:56 PM
Also be a sport and head to the introduction page and introduce yourself

Dales300exc
6th January 2013, 07:32 PM
Just did the intro.

I realise there are a fair few options and I said gq, gu because a lot of people with gu's want drug money for their 4.2s. The gq I'm looking at Tuesday he wants 10k and its pretty much a bog stock 92 gq with a diesel and 265,000. I can spend up to 27k, but if i can get a cheaper gq then I'd be happy, I love my car its just a pain in the arse with no range between fuel stops.

I'm a diesel mechanic by trade and my concern with all late model stuff is the pedantic fuel system and expensive repair costs. EGR is stupid, and cause more bad then good, injectors are expensive, fuel pumps are expensive. You can just about fix a td42 with a hammer and a stick. I will fix everything my self, so the labour side of late model stuff breaking on me is no concern, but when parts cost is almost more than the vehicle its not really worth it haha.

growler2058
6th January 2013, 07:38 PM
Not sure that there were too many factory GQ td42t, however to install a turbo on a td42 is a relatively easy job

Dales300exc
6th January 2013, 07:41 PM
Yeh pretty sure the only turbo 4.2 in GQs were a dealer option. The td42t was referring to GU :)

If I can find a relatively clean GQ its cheaper than converting mine and can rob all my goodies of the petrol GQ.

Turboing it is easy I'll just do it in the garage, but it's also an extra cost to consider when buying one.

macca86
6th January 2013, 08:46 PM
I would find a gu they do show up at the right price even a NA td42 gu would be the go. Just a bit more modern mire comfort. If you're a diesel mechanic you've saved the labour costs maybe have a look and test drive a few

Dales300exc
6th January 2013, 09:18 PM
Yeh I'm in no rush. The only other benefit of a gq is I can take all my gear off my patrol now.

growler2058
6th January 2013, 09:19 PM
Suspension components are interchangeable