PDA

View Full Version : my camper the piece of s%#t

kevin07
31st December 2012, 11:39 AM
two days into a five week trip and my golf camper crapped itself drove to eden the first day stayed 2 nights then moved onto bairnsdale (vic) heading towards adelaide and arno bay for some snapper. so at bairnsdale wound the camper up just about up to the top and bang crash the cable broke the came down all the canvas hanging out. WTF. so im thinking what am igoing to do here i was lost,so called the local repairer he helped us get the canvas in told me its hard job not in them words though.i bought the cable off him and drove home got home 4.45am sunday morning and another trip ruined care of my golf campervan .i have organised myself a place to lift the roof tommorrow get in and pull the cupboards out and change the cable sounds simple bet a swear alot tommorrow then im driving down to geelong and keep going. the repairs to date on this piece of crap are as follows.
water pump, water tank breaking replace brakes at 1o,ooo k,s treg hitch broken,stove not working,dry bearing replaced,replaced all the cupboard and drawer locks plastic s#%t,broken entry door, repairing bed ends and never ending problems with curtains falling down and the fact my wife nearly got killed on saturday when that roof came down it was only a matter of 2 seconds in it.MORAL TO THIS STORY THIS CAMPER IS THE SAME AS THE JAYCO OUTBACK SWAN SO IF YOUR CHOOSING BETWEEN THE 2 BUY THE JAYCO AS MINE IS NOW ONLY 18 MONTHS OLD.(what a piece of crap) KEV

Lonicus
31st December 2012, 12:01 PM
Damn mate, sorry to hear about the troubles! Hopefully, once it's patched, it'll be trouble-free for the remainder of the trip.

89gqpatrol4x4
31st December 2012, 12:03 PM
sorry to hear about the trouble Kev, hopefully you've sorted all the issues now so you can enjoy your holidays.

MC97GQ
31st December 2012, 12:04 PM
Kev,

Thats a bugger mate to get that far away from home and the thing craps itself hopefully it all work out OK and you can enjoy the rest of your trip.

Try and have a Happy New Year

Mark

stevogq
31st December 2012, 12:20 PM
Sorry to here that mate :( but iv been involved in a reputable caravan business and I can say that stay away from jayco, I've seen the build quality on them and I wouldn't trust my familys safety on it.

In the end of the day you goto the smaller mobs eg: lotus caravans.

Good luck with the fix mate.

Sent from my RM-821_apac_australia_new_zealand_218 using Board Express

Bloodyaussie
31st December 2012, 12:20 PM
If you are hard up and need tools while near Melbourne mate give us a shout.... what a faarrkkk!!!!!!

Good luck with it in any case and I hope the rest of your trip goes a lot better!!!!

Also my mate is a caravan builder and if I asked him nice enough???

Drew
31st December 2012, 12:21 PM
Like wtf ? Sorry to hear about the troubles.

The one that really caught my eye was the treg hitch broke ? Seriously, our Kimberley had one and the only way that would break was to really mistreat it clearly you haven't got anywhere near that so it sounds like more of poor construction.

I miss my Kimberley :,(

kevin07
31st December 2012, 01:32 PM
thanks guys but i came home to fix it at the time as i didnt have any options at the time my brother is bringing me home a chain block ill lift the roof and see how i go thanks again kev

kevin07
31st December 2012, 01:43 PM
Sorry to here that mate :( but iv been involved in a reputable caravan business and I can say that stay away from jayco, I've seen the build quality on them and I wouldn't trust my familys safety on it.

In the end of the day you goto the smaller mobs eg: lotus caravans.

Good luck with the fix mate.

Sent from my RM-821_apac_australia_new_zealand_218 using Board Express

yeh i agree about the jayco it is dodgy build but between the 2 i think jayco backup is better as avan who sell these golfs their service is zero

wildgu6
31st December 2012, 01:53 PM
Sorry to hear about your troubles Kev, Good thing the miss's is OK too.
Dont suppose you got it from a dealer you could take it back to and threaten legal action, suing for repair costs or better still exchange for another camper.
Bloody things aren't cheap and sounds like you got plenty of issues to throw at them.

gaddy
31st December 2012, 02:03 PM
Sorry to hear about your troubles , did the whole roof come down or just one courner ? if the whole four came down it is a pretty simple fix [ well the jayco is ] it will be the main cable at the winch, if it has a front lounge pull that out to get access , the main cable goes to a square plate that has the 4 courner cables attached , useing eye bolts and 1 large one in the middle , if all 4 courners came down chances are that the nut has come off the middle eye bolt , replace this with a nyloc nut and never worry again , hope it goes well ,

Gaddy

MudRunnerTD
31st December 2012, 04:16 PM
Sorry to hear about your troubles , did the whole roof come down or just one courner ? if the whole four came down it is a pretty simple fix [ well the jayco is ] it will be the main cable at the winch, if it has a front lounge pull that out to get access , the main cable goes to a square plate that has the 4 courner cables attached , useing eye bolts and 1 large one in the middle , if all 4 courners came down chances are that the nut has come off the middle eye bolt , replace this with a nyloc nut and never worry again , hope it goes well ,

Gaddy

Good on ya Gaddy.

All the best Kev, hope you get it sorted mate

kevin07
31st December 2012, 05:44 PM
Sorry to hear about your troubles Kev, Good thing the miss's is OK too.
Dont suppose you got it from a dealer you could take it back to and threaten legal action, suing for repair costs or better still exchange for another camper.
Bloody things aren't cheap and sounds like you got plenty of issues to throw at them.

when i purchased it at the show in april 2011 when i went to pick it up they tried to give me a 2010 ex demo and the shit fight that erupted from that was huge then getting warranty on broken items took about 4 months and only got done after i actually contacted fair trading so as its out of warranty i got no chance other than what i will email him and the owner of golf. i will tell them that im goin on every forum that i can get my hands on and tell everyone whats what about there product and service that will f@%kem.kev

kevin07
31st December 2012, 05:48 PM

Gaddygaddy all four came down at once i can see that the cable has snapped goin to have ago at fixing it tommorrow,i have a new main cable with the plate and pressed. thanks kev

BoojaBear
6th June 2013, 12:01 PM
Hope all this trouble hasn't put you or. Your family off the idea of getting out there off the track

kevin07
6th June 2013, 01:55 PM
bit of a shock to see this around again there be no chance we be getting put off from touring this awesome southern land just gives me goosebumps thinking of going again to new places . I actually only got it back repaired 2 weeks ago got done a full replace and rebuild the whole pulley system. turns out the pulleys were made of brass no bearing to roll on and a steel cable to rip it to pieces how stupid is that, who designs this stuff.reminds me as well I still have write about the rest of this disaster.kev

threedogs
6th June 2013, 02:00 PM
07 it was built to a price, I'm sure plenty here buy stuff and see its weak point and over engineer it so it wont fail on the track.
Many a good idea has been thought up sitting around a camp fire, beefing up your camper included.

kevin07
7th June 2013, 01:41 AM
07 it was built to a price, I'm sure plenty here buy stuff and see its weak point and over engineer it so it wont fail on the track.
Many a good idea has been thought up sitting around a camp fire, beefing up your camper included.

brass pulleys without a bearing as well I feel sorry for the others that this is going to happen to , I know they have changed more than they want to know about and at least the maker wore the cost so in a way at least they know they are retards.