PDA

View Full Version : problem with brakes on camper

ozzyboy
31st December 2012, 12:41 AM
Quick run down. Travelled from rocky to brisbane, no hint of problems.
Next day driving to sydney, get to taree, and the camper brakes start jerking soon as i hit brake pedal.
Now i am back up at the entrance for a couple days, the drivers side brake locks up on camper when i on the brakes in car.
Anyone have an idea what the problem is, and how i fix it?
Also, the brake controller is on the drawer bar, and is set to second lowest level, yet still locks up.

Cheers

Ozz

Bigrig
31st December 2012, 01:17 AM
Electric brake magnet could have something stuck in it (slim, but easiest check). Drop the wheel off if you can an check the magnet - also if you can possibly get your hands on a multi meter, check your trailer plug on the back of the truck and the trailer wiring (probably do that first truth be told).

Give us a bell tomorrow morning if you need anything (information for pinouts etc).

bm0
31st December 2012, 01:18 AM
When I purchased my camper it had a controller on the draw bar also. I only had it on for a week or 2 before I got my tekonsha p3 but I had almost exactly the same thing happening, the brakes would lock up just with a slight amount of brake pressure...

Not going to help you a great deal because I did not really persist with it, as I wanted an in cab controller anyway, however once I did that the problem went away straight away, perhaps the controller is faulty as is sending too much voltage to the brakes?

scotty83
31st December 2012, 07:35 AM
Not sure about this but with my understanding of the systems even the second level maybe too high. If the system is design to be mounted in the cab it would not be allowing for the much lessened voltage drop in the short distance from the drawbar to brakes, as apposed to the cab to brakes. Hopefully An auto sparky can chime in here.

Tapped on by ScottyB

threedogs
31st December 2012, 08:06 AM
x 2 check plug at rear it could bo pinching a wire

Sir Roofy
31st December 2012, 08:30 AM
Id be looking at the wiring might be a loose connection
screw might be loose

Yendor
31st December 2012, 09:38 AM
I would start by checking the trailer wiring running from the brake controller to the LHS brake. Look for a break in the wire or a faulty connection especially near the drum backing plate (normally where the magnets are connected to the harness).

This would cause a change in the resistance of the brake circuit and possible cause the RHS brake to be applied with more force.

With a test light (not an LED one) check for power at the magnets (at the back of the drum will do). You should be able to see the test light get brighter as you turn up the level on the controller.

Also check the trailers earth, especially the LHS brake earth.

Then check the resistance of the magnets, make sure the LHS one is not open circuit. You will need to disconnect at least one of the wires from the trailer harness to do this.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Rodney