PDA

View Full Version : 42 mile crossing Coorong SA

da riverrat
29th December 2012, 10:35 AM
hi guys me and the family are heading over to the 42 mile crossing next week for a few days camping in our camper was jus wondering if anyone has been there lately. wats it like there and is there anything that i should know before we head off
Thanks and look forward to some reply

pearcey
29th December 2012, 05:23 PM
Hi Rat.
Fished the 42 about 9 months ago as we have a parks pass we camped at the designated camp site, at the time there were new toilets and a covered area with tables and benches. There was also a rain water tank
Knowing what idiots frequent the place I don`t know what condition it is in now.
I found it a great place to camp.Just be self sufficient. Plenty of camp sites.
Good fishing but be very careful driving on the beach. Unless you are very experienced do not go alone, with two vehicles it would be OK
I run 15 psi in my tyres but if I got into trouble I would go as low as 5 . getting to the beach is easy but again I would recommend 20 to 23.
Don`t let my intimidate you as its a great spot so go and enjoy. If i can find some photos I`ll post them up

pearcey
29th December 2012, 06:09 PM
A couple of shots of beach amenities and one of wild life

da riverrat
29th December 2012, 09:37 PM
Thanks mate, we're looking forward to having a look down that way.as we love the country side and coast line in SA Probably will stay at the camp grounds to be safe as i haven't had that much sand driving experience only from goolwa beach to the murray mouth a few times but we'll check it out and see how we go and we will enjoy THANKS AGAIN and loved the photos CHEERS!!
Tim and family

da riverrat
17th January 2013, 11:40 AM
Had a great time at the crossing great camping spot and fantastic peice of coast line didnt get much fishing done but watched a bloke pull in a shark will post a couple pic when I work out how to

Bloodyaussie
17th January 2013, 11:46 AM
Well done.... get those pics up mate!!!!

pearcey
17th January 2013, 05:19 PM
Great to see you had a good time , It`s good when you find a spot where you can relax and take things easy.
Looging forward to the pic`s

jack
17th January 2013, 05:24 PM
Thanks for getting back to us with details, looking forward to the pics. Have to put that on my 'to do' list.

Yabb
13th April 2013, 12:39 PM
Looking forward to heading down that way as well although I think I'll try Goolwa beach the first few times to get used to a bit of well travelled beach driving.

pearcey
13th April 2013, 03:31 PM
Yabb it`s all tyre pressures 15 to18 psi and you won`t have to many problems

BigRAWesty
13th April 2013, 03:52 PM
Best to go with at least 3 vehicles, or a winch. Recovery tracks are very useful, but don't always work down this way..

Ring the local fishing joints along the coast and get some local Intel on the beach conditions. It literally changes overnight and catches people out..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Yabb
13th April 2013, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the advice Pearcey, will definitely drop the tyre pressures.

Good advice Kallen, do those ground anchors work in the sand? We'll have at least 2 vehicles and will be looking into getting a winch, it's on the wish list!

BigRAWesty
13th April 2013, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the advice Pearcey, will definitely drop the tyre pressures.

Good advice Kallen, do those ground anchors work in the sand? We'll have at least 2 vehicles and will be looking into getting a winch, it's on the wish list!

They should.. lol

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

TPC
13th April 2013, 11:07 PM
Best to go with at least 3 vehicles, or a winch. Recovery tracks are very useful, but don't always work down this way..

Ring the local fishing joints along the coast and get some local Intel on the beach conditions. It literally changes overnight and catches people out..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Good advice, never do beach driving alone.
I have done a lot of beech driving and it always changes, especially the coorong.
Was down Salt Creek last year and had to drop the tyres down to 10psi to keep going.
Have also been down Robe on the beach with a mate and come accross several 4wd's stuck, asked if they had let their tyres down and they said they had, asked what pressure and they did not know as they did not have a guage.
When I checked their tyres they were running 35-38psi, let them down to below 20 and away they went.

If you are inexperienced with beach driving try to go first with someone who has experience.

Yabb
13th April 2013, 11:59 PM
I might head down to Aldinga first, that beach is more like a highway. I thought the Goolwa side of the Coorong would be well travelled and fairly tame.

TPC
14th April 2013, 12:08 AM
I might head down to Aldinga first, that beach is more like a highway. I thought the Goolwa side of the Coorong would be well travelled and fairly tame.
Goolwa is a good practice ground as there is always lots of vehicles there, I will be there tomorrow.