PDA

View Full Version : Torque converter strange fault

Alitis007
26th December 2012, 10:02 PM
Hi all, i have a 99 Ti with a 4.5 auto.

Last week i picked up my truck from the panel beaters and as i took off 1st to 2nd gear changed with a kick like it had a shift kit and when i took it on the highway the converter wouldn't go into lockup while i was accelerating, BUT if i set the cruse control at any speed over 80 the converter locks up!
I think it could have a suss TPS because i couldn't get a proper reading off it when i was trying to re adjust it for harsh gear change but that wont explain why it only locks up while the car is driving on cruse control.
Has any one else come across this??
Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers!!

Alitis007
27th December 2012, 02:16 PM
Hi all, i'm having some strange dramas with my auto in my 99 4.5 auto after last monday i picked up my trol from the panel beaters it started shifting like it had a shift kit and the torque converter wasn't locking up at 100k's but if i used the cruse control it locks up. Has any one come across this fault before??? Oh and i just scanned the ECU and got code 21 turbine sensor in the auto DTC

Alitis007
28th December 2012, 08:19 PM
Any one around melbourne have a good TPS I can try ?? This time of year is hard to find a wrecker thats open.

NissanGQ4.2
28th December 2012, 09:46 PM
Hi mate, have moved you new post into your old one as they are the same problems.

nissannewby
28th December 2012, 10:19 PM
Was any welding performed on the car while it was at the panel beaters? What extent did the panel beaters have the car disassembled to? It sounds like a wiring issue, all earths are good etc.

Bigrig
29th December 2012, 11:32 AM
Was any welding performed on the car while it was at the panel beaters? What extent did the panel beaters have the car disassembled to? It sounds like a wiring issue, all earths are good etc.

I'm on the same train of thought as Matty (I think). If welding was done without disconnecting the battery it "may" have shorted out the lockup solenoid or worse ...

Yendor
29th December 2012, 03:48 PM
Hi all, i have a 99 Ti with a 4.5 auto.

Last week i picked up my truck from the panel beaters and as i took off 1st to 2nd gear changed with a kick like it had a shift kit and when i took it on the highway the converter wouldn't go into lockup while i was accelerating, BUT if i set the cruse control at any speed over 80 the converter locks up!
I think it could have a suss TPS because i couldn't get a proper reading off it when i was trying to re adjust it for harsh gear change but that wont explain why it only locks up while the car is driving on cruse control.
Has any one else come across this??
Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers!!

I think you are on the right track.

If it was a problem with the TCM or lock up solenoid then it wouldn't lock up when the cruise was engaged either.

I not sure why it is still locking up when cruise control is engaged, it might have something to do with communication between the cruise control module and TCM???

Is it possible the TPS has water in it? I would check the wire harness for damage running to the TPS and check the main earths.

Also try disconnecting the battery for an hour.

Alitis007
29th December 2012, 04:11 PM
Hi mate, have moved you new post into your old one as they are the same problems.

Thanks mate i couldn't find it when i looked for it yesterday cheers.

Alitis007
29th December 2012, 04:14 PM

All that was stripped was the bonnet, nudge bar and front bumper, it had only light damage.

Alitis007
29th December 2012, 04:15 PM
I'm on the same train of thought as Matty (I think). If welding was done without disconnecting the battery it "may" have shorted out the lockup solenoid or worse ...

It locks up in CRUSE CONTROL.

Alitis007
29th December 2012, 04:25 PM
I think you are on the right track.

If it was a problem with the TCM or lock up solenoid then it wouldn't lock up when the cruise was engaged either.

I not sure why it is still locking up when cruise control is engaged, it might have something to do with communication between the cruise control module and TCM???

Is it possible the TPS has water in it? I would check the wire harness for damage running to the TPS and check the main earths.

Also try disconnecting the battery for an hour.

Yesterday i scanned the TCM and found in the DTC code 21. Turbine sensor, i cleared it and re scanned it to day and got the same code today. I have searched high and low to find what the turbine sensor is in the auto but cant seem to have any luck. I am also about to try putting the old cruse switch back in to see if the auto returns back to normal, as far as water in the TPS that was the first thing i looked for but it was clean and there wasn't any signs of water, dirt or corrosion on the terminals.

Its a big pain and is frustrating the heck out of me because if i cant solve these issues before the 6th of jan i will have to cancel my holiday reservations because i dont want to risk a 7 hr drive and have the auto pack up somewhere between melbourne and eden NSW. Some times i think cars have a mind of their own and know the best time to start playing up!!

NissanGQ4.2
29th December 2012, 04:37 PM
i will look into it again 2night when back on lappy, but from the quick search last night there is no error code 21. Have u tested the speed sensor???

NissanGQ4.2
29th December 2012, 04:48 PM
Could you also PM me your VIN Number.

Alitis007
29th December 2012, 05:30 PM
i will look into it again 2night when back on lappy, but from the quick search last night there is no error code 21. Have u tested the speed sensor???

Not yet my speedo is out tho and my wheels are originals too i'll look into that aswell. I'll pm you in a min

Yendor
29th December 2012, 05:30 PM
Sorry I don't know what DTC 21 is either.

The turbine sensor is also known as the revolution sensor, so how's your ATF level and condition?

NissanGQ4.2
29th December 2012, 05:34 PM
Not yet my speedo is out tho and my wheels are originals too i'll look into that aswell. I'll pm you in a min

What have you compared your speedo 2, GPS, Mates patrol...etc????

Alitis007
29th December 2012, 05:54 PM
Could you also PM me your VIN Number.

Pm sent. Heres a pic off my scanner 23828

Alitis007
29th December 2012, 05:56 PM
What have you compared your speedo 2, GPS, Mates patrol...etc????

I had my alpine head unit and tom tom gps working at the same time and i went thru one of these check ur speed things too

Yendor
29th December 2012, 06:49 PM
You could try flashing the codes as per the workshop manual, see what that brings up.

NissanGQ4.2
29th December 2012, 07:02 PM
You could try flashing the codes as per the workshop manual, see what that brings up.

x2 with Rodney, I'm no GU man so Rodney could probably help you more so but I would do as he suggested and going through and flashing the codes as per the workshop manual.

Just got your PM as well, so will look into it some more later 2night when the kids are in bed.

Alitis007
29th December 2012, 07:22 PM
Thanks guys i'll give it a crack and thanks alot for all your help

NissanGQ4.2
29th December 2012, 08:57 PM
I have been over and over the GU manual in the AT and EC Section for the TB45E and still can't for the life of me find reference to code 21 being turbine sensor.

Correct me if I'm wrong guys but this is what I get "IGN SIGNAL-PRIMARY" (DTC 21)

Alitis007
29th December 2012, 09:45 PM
I have been over and over the GU manual in the AT and EC Section for the TB45E and still can't for the life of me find reference to code 21 being turbine sensor.

Correct me if I'm wrong guys but this is what I get "IGN SIGNAL-PRIMARY" (DTC 21)

Thats more then what i found, but if that is in the engine ECU i get 55. System normal when i check it.
Tomorrow i will do a manual test and count the pulses of the power button, and i might manually go thru all the sensors with an ohm meter and volt meter and check resistance's and voltages of every component that has to do with accelerating, shifting and cruising circuit, i'm gona have fun!!

Yendor
29th December 2012, 09:46 PM
I couldn't find it either.

I think if he flashes out the code it will just come up as the revolution sensor.

NissanGQ4.2
31st December 2012, 11:10 AM
Any update on this mate?

Alitis007
31st December 2012, 05:43 PM
Not yet sorry been busy organizing NYE party, but my new years resolution is to fix my fault !!

Alitis007
2nd January 2013, 06:47 PM
Just did a self diagnostic test and i flashed out " All circuits that can be confirmed by self-diagnosis are ok" 10 flashes that are the same

Alitis007
2nd January 2013, 06:48 PM
Back to the drawing board i guess :(

Alitis007
2nd January 2013, 06:55 PM
Actually i need to go out in a lil bit and will need to do about 40 mins of driving i will try it again then

NissanGQ4.2
2nd January 2013, 07:30 PM
Back to the drawing board i guess :(

Does this mean you are still getting the error 21. Turbine Sensor still, or just the TC is not locking up............... or both

Alitis007
2nd January 2013, 08:19 PM
Does this mean you are still getting the error 21. Turbine Sensor still, or just the TC is not locking up............... or both

It means that at the time of the last test according to the TCM its all A OK i'm going for a drive now i'll re test it in a hr

Alitis007
2nd January 2013, 09:26 PM
EUREKA!! Lol finally found the fault!! Thanks to Yendor for your help and NissanGQ4.2 for your patients and help with this, some how i need to shout you two a few drinks!!

Now to resolve the fault which is "THROTTLE (ACCELERATOR) POSITION SENSOR" [ATTACH]23940[/ATTACH
Cheers George.

NissanGQ4.2
2nd January 2013, 10:53 PM
In your other thread you said the 10 flashes were the same????

I don't think I help, just confused you....... I'm good at doing that *L*

Alitis007
3rd January 2013, 01:37 AM
In your other thread you said the 10 flashes were the same????

I don't think I help, just confused you....... I'm good at doing that *L*

Dont worry mate i only look confused haha, first time i flashed the codes first flash of the power button23946 is 2 second that tells you thats the start of a new sequence then 10 quick flashes meaning system ok, after i drove about 43 km which took me about 35mins on the highway, i flashed it again and got 3rd flash out of the 10 stayed on for half a second and the other 7 were fast which means the TPS. BUT i re checked the resistance ; closed throttle .5 k ohms, wide open throttle .3k ohms and on paper closed is spot on but open is .1k ohms lower then spec but i have to re check it to make sure it goes to those ohms at a steady pace . I re flashed the codes and got system ok coz the TCM erases the DTC after each time you self test it which is a major pain in the back side. I started going through the AT section and i found that the neutral/ park inhibitor switch controls : overdrive, AT check or TPS. In the morning i will check resistances of its circuits and adjust to suit and go for another drive. I am amazed at how economy changes from a 300rpm increase sucks heaps more fuel for eg locked up in overdrive @ 100km/h - 1850rpm to now not locking up 100km/h 2200rpm about 80 km less to a tank.

NissanGQ4.2
3rd January 2013, 08:00 AM
Good luck, hope its an easy fix

Alitis007
7th January 2013, 02:12 PM
Just an update, just bought a 2nd hand TPS for $80 which beats $250 ex japan at trade price through nissan!! I'll install it soon for the next update.24216

Alitis007
8th January 2013, 02:49 AM
Problem solved !! TPS replaced and everything is back to normal. A big thanks to every one for helping!!!

NissanGQ4.2
8th January 2013, 09:22 PM
Problem solved !! TPS replaced and everything is back to normal. A big thanks to every one for helping!!!

Good news mate, If you don't mind can you post up cost of TPS and Part number if you know it

Cheers

Toddie

taslucas
9th January 2013, 07:10 AM
Just an update, just bought a 2nd hand TPS for $80 which beats $250 ex japan at trade price through nissan!! I'll install it soon for the next update.24216

Good news mate, If you don't mind can you post up cost of TPS and Part number if you know it

Cheers

Toddie

Cost is there
Not sure about the part number.

Tap, crackle, pop

Alitis007
9th January 2013, 03:36 PM
Cash no receipt + trade price 2nd hand TPS$80
After market trade price from a cold call phone call $120 because my supplier of EFI parts is on holidays
Genuine Nissan trade price $255 including GST, RRP$280 something I think cant remember right now2428024281
I set it to .55kohms closed throttle at normal operating temperature. I
Just drove 7hours from melbourne to eden NSW , so far so good with a little more power can sit on 100 - 110km/h no dramas now up hills.

Yendor
9th January 2013, 03:52 PM
That's great news that you got it sorted.

The panel beaters must of got water in your old one, it's too much of a coincidence for it to only start playing up after you picked the vehicle up.

Alitis007
9th January 2013, 09:57 PM
Thanks mate, it was playing up a little before with the funny shifting but my cousin is the spray painter and i was talking to the detailer n i think he washed the car before he polished it. I had a diesel bonnet fitted with a scoop so now water goes onto that part of the engine after i wash the car and while i drive thru rain and i have done both and like i said so far so good. But i think it could have had something to do with the heat of the oven?? Don't know but i hope it doesn't come back any time soon!!

soulburner2000
30th March 2013, 02:18 PM
Oh my god, you guys have just given me the answer to my similar issue - can't thank this forum enough! Awesome, thanks people