PDA

View Full Version : Need some guidance here

outback
23rd December 2012, 05:06 PM
On my 2005 Patrol I have the standard Nissan mag rims, 17 x 8JJ, in theory, as per specs a 10mm off set. I am running basically highway tyres, which are 275/65R17 114H.

As I intent to start doing some travelling in the Flinders, Gammon and Gawler Ranges so I was wondering what tyres I should be looking at.

Also should I drop the current Nissan rims for something else?
I had considered the Sunraysia rims but not too sure about them or their performance.

I need to keep the total wheel/tyre combined diameter as current else my spedo settings will go way out. At present my spedo showing is my ground speed. Make the over all diameter smaller and it will set the spedo showing less than ground speed, not a good option.

I will still be doing a lot of highway travelling so is it worth going for the usual 2 sets of rims and tyres that is highway and off road or just keep one set and have a decent AT tyre?

This was no big issue with my old Patrol as it had standard steel split rims and less of a problem in making decisions about tyres.

Thanks

wildgu6
23rd December 2012, 05:27 PM
Hey buddy, got sunnies on my GU and BFG AT/KOs 265 75 16s, have done countless trips to Flinders and found them faultless both on black top and the rough stuff. There not too aggressive yet can handle anything I have thrown at them. Little to no road noise, Great all rounder

TAP TAP TAP MERRY XMAS TO ALL AND A SAFE NEW YEAR TO COME

Lieney
23rd December 2012, 07:10 PM
I got an '06 GU wagon and got rid of the alloys and tyres. I had a wheel nut come off that is apparently an issue with them.
I bought 6 Dynamic black 16x8" rims and mud tyres at a bargain, as the tyres were far dearer for 17" rims going 33".
I could get 33" mud tyres for 17", or 16" wheels and 33" tyres at the same price.
I got Kumho mudders that are awesome off-road, but a little noisy on road, and are wearing slightly quicker than I hoped. Having said that, a trip through the Simpson, a trip from Beachport to Robe, and off in the mud they are brilliant.
I had BFG AT's and were firmer ride, got good mileage, but were useless in mud and slop. Great all-rounder for road, sand and usually dry terrain.
16" are common and will generally be cheaper than 17" IMO

NissanGQ4.2
23rd December 2012, 07:23 PM
Why are you concerned about your speedo reading going out????

1, its not accurate to begin with
2, a gps speed reading is probable more accurate than your Patrols speedo.

Do what ever tyre size you like within the legal limits and buy or borrow a gps and compare the readings

You can always get your speedo recalibrated to suit the new tyres

taslucas
23rd December 2012, 08:08 PM
Also, smaller outside diameter wheels will make your Speedo show that you are going faster than your actual ground speed......not the other way around

Tap, crackle, pop

growler2058
23rd December 2012, 10:25 PM
IMHO sunnies and a good muddys (mtz etc) you'll want tough as side walls in some of those places you've mentioned

Tap someone who cares

MEGOMONSTER
23rd December 2012, 11:54 PM
IMHO sunnies and a good muddys (mtz etc) you'll want tough as side walls in some of those places you've mentioned

X 2 on the above.
A good set of steel rims so you can bash back into shape (if required) after you tried a ram raid on a termite mound that came outa nowhere. And good set of aggressive all terrains or just straight out muddies, as the weather out there can change just like that, it'll start raining for three days straight and change your trip dramatically or it won't, if your prepared.

outback
24th December 2012, 01:54 AM
Spedo readings:
At present my spedo is matched to my GPS units, (note plural). Initially my vehicle had a spedo reading that was about 5+ km/h slower than actual road speed, ie travelling at 100 km/h as per spedo I was doing about 105+km/h actual ground speed. Not a nice situation with the local police.

I modified this by changing the spedo gear and sensor on the gearbox. This brought the spedo back so spedo is now showing ground speed and matches with GPS units. Took a while to sort out, as the local Nissan service people had not heard about the ability to alter the gear on the sensor unit.

Wheel nuts:
As for loose wheel nuts, I have only had one case of them, all the nuts on all wheels, coming loose. That was after a Nissan service at the local Nissan dealer. That service included a wheel balance, rotation and alignment. Since then it has been all ok and so is my toque wrench.

Outcome:
So going by all above I should look at some sunnies/steel 16" and also some 33" ATs, BFG or MTZ.

OK is there an issue with Silverstone tyres?
Just asking as they are on my off road van and camper trailer and I might be able to get them cheaper, (contacts), than the BFGs or MTZs.

As for the weather I live in a place where it is as fickle as any woman in a shop sales sprint. One end of town totally wet the other dry as a bone in the desert and only 5 minutes apart. Hence the questions.

MEGOMONSTER
24th December 2012, 02:14 AM
I say just buy the best tyres you can afford. Remember, it's the only thing between you and the Tarmac. Will they be safe enough to drive your children around. If you hesitate don't buy them.

BigRAWesty
24th December 2012, 06:23 AM
What's your budget?
If its big, get 2 sets as ultimately it will be the better option. Muddied for play and roadies for every other day.

If its not that big grab a good set of AT's.
Imo you can't beat the good old desert dualers for good all rounders and you'll get 50 thou from a set on road.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

threedogs
24th December 2012, 06:49 AM
Outback ,If you have room run two sets if $$$ isn't an issue, I run Cooper ATRs on the HWY, very quiet size 285 x 16
my muddies are Mickey Thompson MTZs, 305 x 16
Either way you'll need a LT construction tyre, steer well clear of HT type tyres
I'm with the rest steel rims for bush travell, one they're repairable, and two can handle the rough stuff
As for an allround tyre have a look at the Mickey T 4 rib, great tyre

growler2058
24th December 2012, 08:15 AM
Same as above if dollars allow get two sets
I would get steel rims for remote/rough areas as you can belt them back into shape with a mash hammer if they cop a dent

Tap someone who cares

jhon
10th January 2013, 04:57 PM
According to me you have done countless trips to Flinders and found them faultless both on black top and the rough stuff but now you want to more struggle for your problem and get well part.

lorrieandjas
10th January 2013, 05:00 PM
Hi mate - I just changed my wheels and tyres from 17x8 Nissan alloys with 265/65/R17s to 16x8 with 285/75/R16s and my speedo now reads spot on! Before it was reading 102 at 110. :)

Jas

outback
29th January 2013, 02:07 PM
Hi mate - I just changed my wheels and tyres from 17x8 Nissan alloys with 265/65/R17s to 16x8 with 285/75/R16s and my speedo now reads spot on! Before it was reading 102 at 110. :)

Jas

True, but you have just altered the total tyre circumference note in attach pdf.

I just changed the sprocket in the gearbox that is attached to the sending sensor. Was a lot cheeper than a whole set of rims and tyres. What $65 vs $???????
We both have the same outcome, just cost variance for effect.

I have looked at the issue of going from the 17" to a 16" rim but since the vehicle was only issued from Nissan with 17s and no option for 16s I am stuck with the 17 unless I go through Motor Trans with specs change docs and then also the vehicle insurance. If this model/vehicle had an option of 17s or 16s no big drama.

I have looked at getting the 16s but so far wheel places will not go smaller with the rims due to this little issue.

threedogs
29th January 2013, 02:15 PM
You should be able to go from 17" to 16" no problems ,as your keeping same diameter you are allowed to up size 2" with no issues .
Growlers whats the SA stand on tyre size???? anyone???

outback
29th January 2013, 04:10 PM
It seems to be based on an off set issue. The Std Nissan rims are +10 while the Gecko rims I looked at are -13. to quote their web site "Ensure the offset of the rim is not reduced by more than 13 mm from the original rim." They argue this will change the track width, though i suspect it will not.
web site: http://www.sa.gov.au/subject/Transport%2C+travel+and+motoring/Motoring/Vehicles+and+registration/Vehicle+standards+and+modifications/Wheels+and+tyres

BigRAWesty
29th January 2013, 05:38 PM
Well it will change it as you moving the mounting point from 10mm outside of centre to inside by 13. So basically you moving your tyre out 1 inch (23mm).
Your track will be 2 inches wider total (1" either side) and I think this falls outside regulation.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

outback
29th January 2013, 07:49 PM
It fails on 2 counts: goes beyond the allowed off set measurment and also over steps the max allowed track width.
At present I have not seen any rims that fit the requirements. All of the Gecko rims,16s & 17s, have a -13 off set.
Looks like I get stuck with Nissan rims

BigRAWesty
29th January 2013, 07:57 PM
What's wrong with factory alloys.?

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

outback
29th January 2013, 08:10 PM
Getting spares other than through Nissan. I want about 2 more rims. They are like hens teeth.

MudRunnerTD
29th January 2013, 08:21 PM
It fails on 2 counts: goes beyond the allowed off set measurment and also over steps the max allowed track width.
At present I have not seen any rims that fit the requirements. All of the Gecko rims,16s & 17s, have a -13 off set.
Looks like I get stuck with Nissan rims

To be honest mate I think you are trying WAY TOO HARD. Take the academic hat off and this becomes a simple discussion.

You went to allot of trouble to alter your speedo reading. Very few, if anyone else would have bothered. Infact as stated above, as others have changed tyres to a larger rolling diameter it has altered the speedo in the same direction. The argument of the cost of your gig over a set of tyres is nill as they were buying he tyres anyway! So are you! And now your speedo will auto correction and the modification will be the stickler.!!

Most people do the speedo correction I their head mate and know that 97 =100 after calibrating their speedo reading off their GPS! You have more than 1 GPS in your car so surely the speedo correctness is irrelevant?? Surely?

I think you would be having a VERY BAD DAY if you got pinged for running 16" rim in a neg 6 to neg 13 offset with a set of 285s on them. It just seems like a No Issue to me??

Anyone and everyone that is running a 16" rim on a GUIV or later (read HEAPS of people!) have a rego and police problem! Maybe in a dogs world??

If it all gets too hard for you then just stay with the 17s and fit a 285 to the Nissan wheels. The worst that might happen is you scratch them off road.

Please check your local roads and Traffic regarding the State laws on tyre size v total combined lift before proceeding.

Kind regards

MR

outback
30th January 2013, 02:08 AM
Actually there was in reality little trouble in doing the spedo corrections. Just getting parts. A quick web search, 'nissan patrol spedo errors', came up with the answer, which was over at patrol4x4.com, thread by MarcusParcus titled "The CORRECT way to Calibrate your speedo". Also a quick look at the tech library there came up with the ref "ZD30 Y61 Reference Document" by Aksniss, which also covered the issue.

Nothing academic here at all. Besides why buy new set of tyres etc to make the change when I had just put on a new set?

Tyre changing or changing the pinion speedometer gear are but solutions to a basic problem built into the computer in the GU. It is set for a tyre diameter about 33 inches. What Nissan say you should use for tyre size does not provide that diameter. What they say to use for their 8JJx17 rim is 275/65R17 but that provides a diameter of only 31 inches. Hence the sped errors.
The on board computer sets the spedo to about 4-5 Km/h faster that actual road speed, that is the computers detected speed from the gear box. That detail comes from Nissan and cross checked by the Nissan service people here in town.

As far as the police goes I would prefer to avoid dealing with that. Enough stupid examples of ladies being book for unsecured load because that had their hand bag on the passenger front seat, not to mention defects for trivial things as no water in the wind screen washer bottle, is enough to want me to stay away from anything that may attract some over zealous police person.

I get enough hassles hauling legal loads of hay around with out providing them with additional thing to be picky about thanks.

As for worrying about scratching the nice Nissan rims, so what, they get scratched every time I drive in my paddocks.

I was looking at steel rims due to what has been suggested within this thread. If I have to use Nissan rims so what, its just a case of getting extras, though not exactly easy.

As for checking the local state regs I have and posted a link to their web site.

That link again just incase:
http://www.sa.gov.au/subject/Transport%2C+travel+and+motoring/Motoring/Vehicles+and+registration/Vehicle+standards+and+modifications/Wheels+and+tyres

So putting a 16 or 17 rim with a -13 off set puts me in the illegal situation both with respect to maximum off set change and also final track width as per that set of regulations.

As Kallen Westbrook said in his post earlier:
"Well it will change it as you moving the mounting point from 10mm outside of centre to inside by 13. So basically you moving your tyre out 1 inch (23mm).
Your track will be 2 inches wider total (1" either side) and I think this falls outside regulation."

BigRAWesty
30th January 2013, 08:19 AM
Yes unfortunately we live in the nanny state.. this whole national come together with rules was a joke, nothing changed...

There are plenty of rims that will fit your car, you just have to find them.

As for going to 16", check you have clearance between rim and rotor to make the change.. it maybe an option.

Id pop down to a few local tyre joints and get them to do the work.. tell them what your after, and the size you want and get them to come up with a few options and best price.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of