PDA

View Full Version : Studding 89 gq

Rach89GQ
23rd November 2010, 11:11 AM
HI GUYS.
IM FROM N.S.W AND I HAVE A 1989 NISSAN GQ PATROL 4.2 LITRE PETROL CARBY WITH A REALLY BAD STUDDER

i have ran out of things to check to try and fix the problem, my tacho is now going crazy when driving and idling it doesnt do it always just some times, it has a bad studder to the point it kicks back and sometimes back fires i have changed the leads, spark pugs, checked the points, timing, got the head done a few months ago cos it was leaking and warped, i also checked the valves when the head was off. the car use to run fine before with a tiny studder which i got told it was normal for GQ's, it started to studder bad under load going up hill but now it does it going down hill and on the flats.

has any one come across a problem like this before??????? or can any one help me ???????

Thanks heaps Rach89GQ :frown:

patch697
23rd November 2010, 12:21 PM
Welcome to the forum mate.

It sound to me an ignition problem, Have you checked the distributor itself? I f the distributor is warn in the shaft or bush it can coarse something called spark chatter which can be attributed to the symptoms you are experiencing.

Another thing to check is the coil & the voltage at the coil. If either of these things are in fault it could give you a weak spark at the plug & can also coarse problems similar to yours.

Voltage should read as follows:

At crank ~ 12 volts

At run ~ 9 volts

Taco's came be problematic in ignition systems if thay are in fault as well & as yours is playing up this is something to keep in mind.

The condenser may also need replacing as this can coarse a weak spark as well.

As you would already know this is a process of elimination & I hope the things I have suggested may help.

P.s. Please post an into in the introductions section & tell us a bit about yourself & your 4x4... Cheers

YNOT
23rd November 2010, 12:26 PM
Welcome to the forum Rach.

Check this thread;

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?299-Information-on-TB42s-extended-rotor-button&highlight=distributor

Tony

patch697
23rd November 2010, 12:36 PM
Welcome to the forum Rach.

Check this thread;

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?299-Information-on-TB42s-extended-rotor-button&highlight=distributor

Tony

Thanks Tony I plum forgot all about this & its my post...lol

Woof
23rd November 2010, 08:40 PM
Hi Rach, can you post an intro up here for all of us to see mate, an intro is always good before asking questions: http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/forumdisplay.php?2-Introductions

YNOT
23rd November 2010, 09:40 PM
Thanks Tony I plum forgot all about this & its my post...lol

You're funny!!!

Tony

AB
23rd November 2010, 09:44 PM
That is pretty funny Pauly as you did a great write up about it with pictures and all...lol

Don't worry, I have a memory like a fish too!

wildgu6
24th November 2010, 11:10 PM
HI GUYS.
IM FROM N.S.W AND I HAVE A 1989 NISSAN GQ PATROL 4.2 LITRE PETROL CARBY WITH A REALLY BAD STUDDER

i have ran out of things to check to try and fix the problem, my tacho is now going crazy when driving and idling it doesnt do it always just some times, it has a bad studder to the point it kicks back and sometimes back fires i have changed the leads, spark pugs, checked the points, timing, got the head done a few months ago cos it was leaking and warped, i also checked the valves when the head was off. the car use to run fine before with a tiny studder which i got told it was normal for GQ's, it started to studder bad under load going up hill but now it does it going down hill and on the flats.

Hey Rach,
Tony and Paul are usually around the mark with most prob's.
Heres a couple more suggestions you might be able to try,
Get the coil checked, Rotor button, Dizzy cap,
Replace the points with Electronic ignition (petronix kits are around $130)
Had a mate with similar prob's and apart from what you have already done, this is what else he checked.
The Electronic ignition was what fixed his prob, runs sweet now.
Hope this helps get you motoring along again.

Cheers Pete.

Rach89GQ
25th November 2010, 08:49 PM
Hey pete , i replaced the coil already changed the rotor button and dizzy cap when i changed everything else, where could i get a petronix kit from???

you guys are all awesome and a great help thanks heaps for the tips

patch697
26th November 2010, 11:56 AM
Hey pete , i replaced the coil already changed the rotor button and dizzy cap when i changed everything else, where could i get a petronix kit from???

you guys are all awesome and a great help thanks heaps for the tips

Did you replace your rotor with an extended one or just the std type?

The Pertronics kit is only an electronic spark replacement unit, it is not a High energy ignition (HEI) system. Have a chat with the ppl in the above post by Tony for some more info as thay do all sorts of systems for Patrols & although more expensive the HEI is the best way to go for sure.

wildgu6
26th November 2010, 06:59 PM
Hey Rach, not to sure up that part of the world but heres a website you can check out, that may help.
http://www.proquip.com.au/ProductPages/Pertronix/Pertronix.html
Hope it helps Rach. Good luck chicky.

Cheers Pete.

wildgu6
29th November 2010, 11:07 PM
Hey Rach, how you doing with your prob'
Just a quicky, do you have a balast resistor on the Trol ???
If you do and it is cracked of faulty it can give you the same symtoms.

Again Good luck Rach, Hope you are getting somewhere with it.

Cheers Pete.

Rach89GQ
30th November 2010, 08:28 PM
hey pete

prob is still there for now, have just replaced the the dizzy i have also ordered a extended rotor button from melb so that should be here is a few days. the trol does have a balast resistor and i have checked its not cracked or damaged. thanks for the reply and tip.....

thanks Rach

:smiley_thumbs_up:

Rach89GQ
1st December 2010, 09:23 PM
:( Replaced the rotor button today with the extend rotor from melb she drives alot smoother BUT she still has a tiny studder mmmmm......... going crazy now :icon_bonk: i dont know what the next step is.... kinda thinking its the mixture now...... just want to say thanks guys for all your help and knowledge

Finly Owner
1st December 2010, 10:25 PM
Do you have an electric fuel pump? Is your mechical pump working fine?

Rach89GQ
2nd December 2010, 09:02 PM
i have a brand new mechanical fuel pump that i replaced four months ago