PDA

View Full Version : GU patrol st wagon 4.2 litre turbo diesel

reddeer04
22nd June 2010, 11:18 PM
Hello can anyone tell me litres the sub tank and main tank holds in the GU 4.2 ltr patrol wagon turbo diesel.????????????

Also what fuel economy would i expect get from the GU 4.2 litre turbo diesel wagon im a moderate driver.???????????

Pootrol
23rd June 2010, 02:57 AM
I think the Main tank holds 90 litres and the Sub tank holds 30. As for the economy, I can't really help you there as I suffer from a heavy right boot.

GU89
23rd June 2010, 09:10 AM
95l main and 30l sub. I get about 14l per 100k but mine is far from standard so I wouldn't be using it as a comparison. Sandard probably closer to 11l

Sharpy
23rd June 2010, 11:22 AM
Yep, mine gets around 11 and is pretty stock.

Timbo
23rd June 2010, 02:50 PM
Hmm.. maybe I over calculated my 2.8's economy. Now im just depressed that mine is bad lol.
In fairness, it's probably changed now. The figures I tool is when I was driving 40km's to work through the hills. Kind of stuff the economy up going up and down hills all week.

Now im only driving 7km's to work a day.. a tank seems to last for a month!

MudRunnerTD
15th July 2010, 12:28 AM
95l main and 30l sub. I get about 14l per 100k but mine is far from standard so I wouldn't be using it as a comparison. Sandard probably closer to 11l

Yep, mine gets around 11 and is pretty stock.

Wow guys!! so your getting somewhere around 850kms to 1100kms out of a main and sub tank?? suggesting using 120lts before filling?

Is that right?

Wow i am getting consistently just over 700kms for the 2 tanks making me around the 17lts per 100kms and pretty heavy by comparison.

That is in a GU IV TD42Ti with 120,000kms on the clock... Damn! i have got to get mine on a Dyno and see if i can sort it out a bit.

DX grunt
15th July 2010, 01:25 AM
Wow guys!! so your getting somewhere around 850kms to 1100kms out of a main and sub tank?? suggesting using 120lts before filling?

Is that right?

Wow i am getting consistently just over 700kms for the 2 tanks making me around the 17lts per 100kms and pretty heavy by comparison.

That is in a GU IV TD42Ti with 120,000kms on the clock... Damn! i have got to get mine on a Dyno and see if i can sort it out a bit.

I'm pretty sure mine's a 90lt mains and 75lt sub. I've worked out fuel consumption once, and with the pod on the back of my ute, 1 got 16lts/100k. I know it costs more than $200 to fill both tanks from near empty. Where I am, diesel is about $1.40/lt atm.

I read somewhere it's best to get three fuel consumption readings and go by the average of the 3. Don't know how true this is.

Ross

patch697
15th July 2010, 01:46 AM
I read somewhere it's best to get three fuel consumption readings and go by the average of the 3. Don't know how true this is.

Ross

x2 I pretty sure it suggests to use this method in the hand book (I think) to calibrated the fuel usage meter.

Cheers
Paul

DX grunt
15th July 2010, 09:46 AM
Hello can anyone tell me litres the sub tank and main tank holds in the GU 4.2 ltr patrol wagon turbo diesel.????????????

Also what fuel economy would i expect get from the GU 4.2 litre turbo diesel wagon im a moderate driver.???????????

Great thread reddeer04.

It's been bugging me about why my fuel consumption is a bit high. I'm a moderate driver, not quite bordering on grandpa status. I'm thinking it's the heavy pod on the back, and driving into the headwinds is causing drag coz the pod sticks out more than the cab? I dunno. I've got standard (cheesecutters) tyres. I'm thinking along the lines of... the more mods a truck has, the heavier it gets, including 33's/muddies on highways. I use my truck as a daily driver and mostly on the highways. I dunno. It's got me stuffed?

Any other thoughts?

Ross

Woof
31st July 2010, 09:05 PM
Hey Ross, don't complain about 16L/100kms, I only get about 19L/100kms, but I know why.:1087:

Nev
8th August 2010, 02:32 PM
I've kept track of my fuel consumption in my wagon since I got it nearly 3 years ago. Average including city driving and off road work has been just over 14L/100km. Running 12 psi boost, dynoed, 33's, 2" lift and weighing in around 2.9t or more all the time and often towing a 1t camper.

DX grunt
8th August 2010, 03:18 PM
Hey Ross, don't complain about 16L/100kms, I only get about 19L/100kms, but I know why.:1087:

OK, I won't complain. Taking into account the weight of the pod, I have about 5cm sticking out each side and the bit on top, past the cab, 2 spare tyres, all the recovery gear in storage underneath (that I forget's there), dual fuel tanks & 30lts of water, I guess 16l/100km sounds about right.

My truck hates headwinds, bigtime.

patch697
9th August 2010, 12:14 PM
My truck hates headwinds, bigtime.

So does mine & its only got 3ich.... windy days can be a worry as well...

alarna_mae
19th June 2011, 08:42 PM
We havnt been 4wding yet. Owned our baby for 12 months now and all the drives weve taken it been 95 litre tank 30 litre sub. Approx $200 to fill and at 90km p/h we get just 630km before we hit empty. Im not sure if we should push the speed up?
Were heading to torquay in 3 weeks and still deciding weather to take the ever expensive patrol or the baby our x-trail. We dont plan to go 4wding but the space in the patrol is the upside for the kids.
we dont have much extra. just bull bars and roof racks. well be taking a car load of tent and camping crap on the roof and inside. NOt sure should I be getting more distance wise? Be great if somebody could get me back. thanks guys (and chicks)

Cuppa
19th June 2011, 10:58 PM
I'm pretty sure mine's a 90lt mains and 75lt sub. I've worked out fuel consumption once, and with the pod on the back of my ute, 1 got 16lts/100k. I know it costs more than $200 to fill both tanks from near empty. Where I am, diesel is about $1.40/lt atm.

Ross

I'm getting about the same consumption, with similar driving style, to you Ross. I was pretty disappointed. My bus (Nissan Civilian) at 5 tonnes & with only the 3.3litre 4 cyl motor normally aspirated gets about the same (albeit rather more slowly). Having filled the both tanks in the Patrol I am looking for a fill when i get to around 1100 kms. Probably if I pushed it I might get 1150kms?

Cuppa

teleman
20th June 2011, 07:19 PM
G'day Rossco,

Maybe your setup creates a lot of drag but aerodynamically you're not that much different to a wagon, so not sure why you're getting 16L/100k. The cheesecutters should be an advantage too when it comes to fuel consumption.

I keep account of all fuel usage and mileage, but it's been a while since I sat down and calculated my fuel consumption. But from memory it was roughly 14L/100k and I drive pretty conservatively. I don't rev it up past uptimum torque (just over 2000rmp) very often as there's no point with the 4.2. If you're taking it up to 3000rmp between gear changes then you're burning fuel needlessly.

Hi all. My GU II wagon gets around 900kms to the 2 tanks. Its a 3ltr TD but i thought id post up anyway to see and hear some comparisons.
Interesting quote from Plasnart, the 4.2 seems to get going a bit easier than the 3ltr, despite having less torque. I guess its a displasment thing and i have
noticed that i need to be more conscious of the power band. the 3ltr definitely can not handle gear changes at 2000 rpm or lower. Im allways up at 3000. (no higher)
My man tank is 95ltr and sub is 30ltr.

saz64
26th June 2011, 09:59 PM
Hi guys i've know a friend who's 4.2 diesel ute gets 7.2/100km. the trick is in a couple of things, advance your timing, tyre press,fuel and oil additives and don't go over the 100k's. does the same road and fills at the same servo.

Dark 1
26th June 2011, 10:09 PM
Hi guys i've know a friend who's 4.2 diesel ute gets 7.2/100km. the trick is in a couple of things, advance your timing, tyre press,fuel and oil additives and don't go over the 100k's. does the same road and fills at the same servo.

Holy i reckon your friend should write a book on the tricks he knows ! I've spent thousands on my 4.2 & can't even break into the 15's let alone 7. I've not met a 4.2 owner yet that can even get close to the 12lt that nissan quote, maybe your friend needs to check his calculator.

saz64
26th June 2011, 10:21 PM
Holy i reckon your friend should write a book on the tricks he knows ! I've spent thousands on my 4.2 & can't even break into the 15's let alone 7. I've not met a 4.2 owner yet that can even get close to the 12lt that nissan quote, maybe your friend needs to check his calculator.

well he's a diesel mechanic and he know's his stuff but i think the secret is in the oil additives he uses and there's one additive i've used in my engine and trans and got results

Dark 1
26th June 2011, 10:28 PM
well he's a diesel mechanic and he know's his stuff but i think the secret is in the oil additives he uses and there's one additive i've used in my engine and trans and got results

Diesel mechanic or not i reckon he could make millions if he let out his secrets.