PDA

View Full Version : Hema on the Ipad -iOS6

Cuppa
21st December 2012, 05:09 PM
Has anyone had direct experience of the latest Hema navigator for ipad? I read somewhere here that the maps were a bit 'jumpy' in the first iOS6 version, but also read somewhere today that this has now been fixed??

I'm also keen to know how well this app functions as an everyday navigator, as well as in off road situations. Like is it useful in the city? How does it compare to the likes of Garmin, TomTom & Igo?

Any thoughts?

Cuppa

Drewboyaus
21st December 2012, 08:27 PM
I'm setting up my my truck with an iPad holder. I planned to use Mudmap but was having trouble deciding over that and the Hema software....
I already have tomtom on my iphone and that works well as a general navigator around town.
As I understand it Mudmap does turn by turn around town.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oncedisturbed
21st December 2012, 10:15 PM
HEMA very jumpy on ios6. I have both HEMA and MUDMaps and MM is by far the better app.

MM does turn by turn as well and there are more map options than HEMA from the online purchases in the map store.

Tap, Tap Taparoo

Drewboyaus
24th December 2012, 04:54 PM
What are the High Country maps like?
I've read a few comments that they're not that great...

Stropp
24th December 2012, 07:15 PM
I was told to use memory maps which is available free from the I store.

Drewboyaus
24th December 2012, 07:48 PM
You can use the Hema maps with Memory Map too, which I guess gives the best of both.....
I might combine running MudMap and Memory Map....pretty much would cover everything....

MudRunnerTD
21st February 2013, 12:21 AM
Bump!!

Looking for some actual experience with Hema maps guys? oncedisturbed have you got the latest version?

Where is my money best spent? Is there a jail break for any of these? Looking for some direction for my iPad guys

Cheers MR

Clunk
21st February 2013, 12:22 AM
Good luck MR ;)

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

megatexture
21st February 2013, 12:41 AM
I'm using memory map and still learning the in's and outs but its been great so far

MudRunnerTD
21st February 2013, 12:51 AM
How much was it Mega and what about the cost of the maps? Just trying to figure out how much money I need to spend?

megatexture
21st February 2013, 01:05 AM
I was lucky enough to get a copy of maps ( Hema, ubd and many mining lease maps) off my wife's uncle but you can buy the app for like 7$ and it comes with 3 aus wide maps ,
then upload maps you have or memory map disk can be bought online
http://memory-map.com.au/digital-maps/topographic-maps-australia.html
If you want full aus wide maps Hema on memory map app would be the go as it would get costly to get all areas on memory map maps

megatexture
21st February 2013, 01:13 AM
Apparently the app is free now.

BigRAWesty
21st February 2013, 01:28 AM
A small side note, I found an app called my tracks on the android market a while back.. it tracks your trip and records things like time, distance, average speed, max speed, altitude etc.
My phone has a built in GPS, so not sire if it'll work via data from towers?? Also not sure on availability to apple??
Could someone have a quick look?

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Clunk
21st February 2013, 01:37 AM
A small side note, I found an app called my tracks on the android market a while back.. it tracks your trip and records things like time, distance, average speed, max speed, altitude etc.
My phone has a built in GPS, so not sire if it'll work via data from towers?? Also not sure on availability to apple??
Could someone have a quick look?

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

pretty sure My Tracks is a Google thing

Drewboyaus
21st February 2013, 06:58 AM
MR,
I was running the Hema product (which is memory map) on the Woods Point weekend. I had scanned and uploaded the relevant Rooftops maps of the area.
It worked a treat. Kept all my tracks of the weekend too. I had it set up on my iPad and fixed to the dash with a Ram mount. I have both Mud Maps and the Hema app and reckon the Hema app is better for the way in which I use it.
I've also done a DIY guide on here explaining how to scan and calibrate a map into the Hema/Memory Map app.
I ended up buying the Hema app because it had the touring maps all included, I figured it just save mucking around.

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....

Drewboyaus
21st February 2013, 07:15 AM
I'll add, the ability to scan in your own maps is the winner in my book.
I know on the Woods Point trip, we had much clearer mapping (using my scanned maps) than those with "out of the box" GPS units and the Rooftops maps are the best around the high country.

MudRunnerTD
21st February 2013, 09:48 AM
Thansk Drew, i remember your thread about scanning maps but did not have an ipad at the time so took little interest. i will have to review that thread if i start scanning maps for sure.

How much did the Hema App cost you and did it come with the full Hema catalog of maps? or do you buy as required?

I have a heap of maps already on Ozi Explorer and also NissHead sent me a heap on disk. can i use these into MudMap and or Hema?

MudRunnerTD
21st February 2013, 10:01 AM
and drew have you got your RAM mount bolted to the floor? did it move around much? did it get in the way of changing gears?

Drewboyaus
21st February 2013, 10:16 AM
From memory the app cost me $130 or so with the full range if Hema maps.
If you already have OE maps and others, you can import those most of those into Hema/Memory Map (they are the same base software, with Hema you are paying for the included maps).
There is one particular OE format that is difficult to import but I think it's a later version. If you do a quick google search for Memory Map Oziexplorer conversion, you should get a bunch of results.
If you have those maps, it comes down to if you can be bothered spending the time to convert and import them as to whether you go for Hema or Memory Map (IMHO). Be aware that even though the Memory map PC and IPad App may be free, to import and calibrate maps you will need to pay an extra $50 (same with Hema).

and drew have you got your RAM mount bolted to the floor? did it move around much? did it get in the way of changing gears?

Nah, I figured it would bounce around too much (kinda like a pendulum). I've screwed mine into a blank switch area in the dash facia and it stands up well (have a look in the above pic), even on those corrugations coming into Woods Point.
I can take a few more pics if you need.....
Cheers,
Drew.

MudRunnerTD
21st February 2013, 10:27 AM
Nah, I figured it would bounce around too much (kinda like a pendulum). I've screwed mine into a blank switch area in the dash facia and it stands up well (have a look in the above pic), even on those corrugations coming into Woods Point.
I can take a few more pics if you need.....
Cheers,
Drew.

Yep a few more pics of how you have connected the mount would be great. i have just done an ebay search and there are plenty of options. seriously thinking of a floor mount job on a HD flex mount like this RAM-Strong-Passenger-Seat-Stand-Mount-Holder-for-Apple-iPad-1-2-3- (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RAM-Strong-Passenger-Seat-Stand-Mount-Holder-for-Apple-iPad-1-2-3-10-Tablets-/190800429949?pt=US_Tablet_eReader_Mounts_Stands_Ho lders&hash=item2c6c97837d&_uhb=1#ht_8427wt_1161)

Cuppa
21st February 2013, 11:03 AM
Yep, me too, more detail pics of your mounting would be great, Ta.

Cuppa

BigRAWesty
21st February 2013, 03:22 PM
pretty sure My Tracks is a Google thing

Yes you are correct, it overlays google maps. Which I think are quite good. But yet to them in very remote areas.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

oncedisturbed
21st February 2013, 04:15 PM
Ran the latest update a few days ago, still a pain in the butt to use and still find it very clunky

MudRunnerTD
21st February 2013, 05:00 PM
So looking in iTunes and on the net there seems a division between Hema and MudMap and i have also had a quick look at Trax n Maps.

The Mudmap looks good. Hema looks great but i am very weary about how many more maps i would need to buy! "In App" purchases dont really turn me on! once committed they have me bay the nuts. Is there more maps in the standard MudMap app than Hema?

rottodiver
21st February 2013, 05:43 PM
I am now using mudmaps on the ipad mini( and it downloaded to iPhone 5).... I have found it so easy to use especially changing between maps, even when on the road.... Really happy with it... I have had one question with it and I posted the pm to mudmaps on here last week and he never replied, so a little disappointed with that but overall very happy with it,,

Scotty

megatexture
21st February 2013, 06:01 PM
Yes you are correct, it overlays google maps. Which I think are quite good. But yet to them in very remote areas.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

I also use this app and is great at places like glasshouse when it records where you have been and you can see on the satellite images where your going, it will work out in remote areas but the map needs data to view.
Only annoying thing is you can't merge tracks, well not that I've found

Drewboyaus
21st February 2013, 06:27 PM
I don't like the maps in Mud Map and you can't import your own. Though I own it, I rarely use it.
As far as the smooth operation of Hema Maps.....absolutely no problem for me.
Daz, were do you want to use it?

MudRunnerTD
21st February 2013, 06:52 PM
I don't like the maps in Mud Map and you can't import your own. Though I own it, I rarely use it.
As far as the smooth operation of Hema Maps.....absolutely no problem for me.
Daz, were do you want to use it?

Everywhere. i am looking for a permanent Platform to develop my iPad as my primary GPS of hardcore and outback Australia Wide.

Drewboyaus
21st February 2013, 08:02 PM
Everywhere. i am looking for a permanent Platform to develop my iPad as my primary GPS of hardcore and outback Australia Wide.

For that purpose I reckon the Hema app is better as the maps are better add the ability (for an extra 50bucks) to import your own maps and that was the choice I SHOULD have made first (when I bought MudMap).
The ONLY thing I wish the Hema app has that MudMap does is the ability to have search and guided navigation to a particular track. That said, for me it is a nice to have rather than a must have.
And as I made the wrong choice (in my view anyway) and got MudMap first I have that function now if I really need it....

Winnie
21st February 2013, 08:20 PM
So you would say Hema is better for if you have no plans to add your own maps?
I bought the cheap iPad with no GPS dammit, at Woods Point AB told me you can buy a little GPS receiver for them on eBay but I can't find any?

MudRunnerTD
21st February 2013, 08:24 PM
I bought the cheap iPad with no GPS dammit, at Woods Point AB told me you can buy a little GPS receiver for them on eBay but I can't find any?

If you have a 3G phone Winnie then you can connect to it via Bluetooth and use the GPS receiver from your phone. You can also get a Bluetooth HPS antenna but you end up having to power bloody everything mate.

Winnie
21st February 2013, 08:26 PM
Phone thing sounds like a winner then, thanks for that Darren, gonna try it out right now.

oncedisturbed
21st February 2013, 09:10 PM
the unit AB is referring to is made by Bad Elf, good little units.

If you are looking at not importing maps then I believe the MUDMaps are definetly the better set up and has heaps of maps included plus extras in app purchases. To include your own maps, go with HEMA / Memory Maps.

MUDMaps far out weighs HEMA in updates as they are fairly regular unlike HEMA every few years and they have an expectation that after a "few updates" - users are "required to re-purchase" the app so it is upto date, MUDMaps do not place that expection on on users, the only on-going cost to user's is if you purchase the basic $3 version and subscribe for turn-by-turn etc of when you wish to purchase further maps.

So far I have all the maps that HEMA offer on MUDMaps and get turn by turn etc. It would be good if / when MUDMaps allow 3rd party maps but I have no idea if it will ever be on the cards to be incorporated.

I forget which member tried to pm MUDMaps here but if they wanted to send me a pm, I will try help out where I can or I will get in contact with Li or Tom for them.

Lieney
21st February 2013, 09:34 PM
A fellow I went through the Simpson with last year had an Ipad in his Rig.
Can't remember what program he used, but I am sure it was a download.
The background was the exact map, including the tracks, keys, signs etc and everything you should get when heading there.
The pointer moved as a normal GPS does.
Although it didn't give you distance from and to, it had lots of other information and GREAT detail I have not seem on another GPS system.
Although I only briefly looked at a Hema once several years ago.

BigRAWesty
21st February 2013, 09:48 PM

I have a blue tooth GPS unit, garmen I think it is. It needs a 12v power supply but also have the ability to take batteries and be independent. Bought it for $40 but was more an impulse buy. Pm if your interested for that price.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

MudRunnerTD
21st February 2013, 10:00 PM
See now I'm torn! Damn!

drew and OD your both solid. I am leaning towards Hema but i predict a whole "do you want fries with that" kind of experience coming??? Forever buying upgrades and new maps?

so Drew you spent $150 for the App, another $50 to "unlock it" so you can upload maps? Then pay per map to upload and bought their bundle of maps? Is that right? How much was the bundle? It looks like another $150? Hema maps are crisp and sharp to view which I like.

And OD Mudmaps run a different map? Is it nice and sharp? Wll I be able to upload new maps in the future do you think? I am looking for Rooftop quality maps in detail and crispness when zoomed in? Will I get that?

Anyone got Rooftop maps on an iPad!

Drewboyaus
21st February 2013, 10:01 PM
With a lot of my driving being in the high country, none of the maps that come with either Hema or MudMaps are to the level of detail I want. Both are missing tracks I know are there and have driven so I wanted to be able to import the maps I trusted.
Personally, I thought the included maps with the Hema app were better than those with MudMaps. The AusToppo (MudMaps) is ok for navigation, but terrible for planning in my opinion because its a PITA to zoom out and scan ahead.......maybe I haven't worked out how best to do it.......
It's a bit of a shame you can't try before you buy to see which you prefer 'cause I reckon it's a bit like tyres.....different strokes for different folks......
If you're up Essendon way some time, you can drop in and I'll show you both on the iPad.
I'm in Geelong sometimes (got a major client down there) but not for another couple of weeks.

Drewboyaus
21st February 2013, 10:12 PM
I'm in the process of putting all my rooftops maps on iPad. I've done about 4 so far.
My outlay on the Hema was $129 for the app, with ALL the available Hema maps included.....no need to download any more.
I then paid another $50 to be able to import my own maps. I wanted this because even though the Hema maps are ok for the high country, like you I think the Rooftops ones are the best as they have the track notes and historical stuff included.
I don't anticipate needing any other maps or updates for quite a while. If I want a specific detailed map for a new area, say the Grampians, my plan is to buy the paper one I like and scan it in and calibrate.....I always like to keep the paper with me as a backup.
There are also lots of Oziexplorer maps that could be imported too.
That is the biggest limitation of the MudMap app, the lack of import ability...

Drewboyaus
21st February 2013, 10:15 PM
One more thing, MudMap uses the Gregory's maps for their touring maps against the Hema maps. I reckon it's a no contest with the Hema ones being much better and easier to read.....

Drewboyaus
21st February 2013, 10:17 PM
And no, I have no association with Hema! LOL.
Just someone who owns and who has used both.

oncedisturbed
21st February 2013, 10:23 PM
See now I'm torn! Damn!

drew and OD your both solid. I am leaning towards Hema but i predict a whole "do you want fries with that" kind of experience coming??? Forever buying upgrades and new maps?

so Drew you spent $150 for the App, another $50 to "unlock it" so you can upload maps? Then pay per map to upload and bought their bundle of maps? Is that right? How much was the bundle? It looks like another $150? Hema maps are crisp and sharp to view which I like.

And OD Mudmaps run a different map? Is it nice and sharp? Wll I be able to upload new maps in the future do you think? I am looking for Rooftop quality maps in detail and crispness when zoomed in? Will I get that?

Anyone got Rooftop maps on an iPad!

Here is all the maps available at the moment for MUDMaps - http://www.mud-maps.com/map-store/australia#offset=0

This is complete list of all included features - https://itunes.apple.com/app/id399729850

I am hoping that in the not too distant future, 3rd party maps will be allowed as so far only 3rd party track logs are able to be uploaded. The VMS maps are very similar to the HEMA maps BUT not quite as crisp. They have all High Country, NATGEO maps and many others

It is designed to be an all in one app and it is getting pretty close to it, 3rd party maps will be a HUGE bonus when / if available

Drewboyaus
21st February 2013, 10:35 PM
OD, I think you only get the AusToppo and base maps with MudMap. Is that correct?
There are lots of other maps you can download from the online shop and I've bought and downloaded some of the VicToppo ones so I can flip between the two apps, Hema running Rooftops and MudMap running VicToppo

trekster
21st February 2013, 10:35 PM
The maps in hema are nothing to sneeze at, thats for sure. So far I have no 1:25k maps, the best I have is 1:250k, which is lame for doing anything other then driving on the highway, I need to play with it and see if I can import some 1:25k babies onto it, if I can then it will be worth the effort!

Cheers.

Dinger
21st February 2013, 10:37 PM
I have a iPad two with Hema and have had no troubles it is easy to import tracks as a gpx file. I have an emprum Ultimate GPS from amazon.plugs into the charge pot of the iPad. The cable to charge it charges the iPad whilst plugged in to a USB port(whilst driving). Convenient to keep you on the go all day. No flat iPad

Drewboyaus
21st February 2013, 10:38 PM
The maps in hema are nothing to sneeze at, thats for sure. So far I have no 1:25k maps, the best I have is 1:250k, which is lame for doing anything other then driving on the highway, I need to play with it and see if I can import some 1:25k babies onto it, if I can then it will be worth the effort!

Cheers.

Treckster, yes you can. You can either buy them or import your own.....you can read my guide on how to scan and calibrate your own....

Drewboyaus
21st February 2013, 10:43 PM
I'll put up some more pics of my mount too but it was dark by the time I got home tonight.....

oncedisturbed
21st February 2013, 11:42 PM
You get smarttopo, back country, westprint, Melway & google standard. I also have VMS and NatMap packs.

I also have HEMA for the areas of WA that isn't covered and also IgoPrimo and will switch between the 3 as required

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Stropp
22nd February 2013, 12:38 AM
OD I have hema on my ipad now, I will need some tutoring if you get a spare bit of time! Please

oncedisturbed
22nd February 2013, 01:04 AM
Stropp, no probs at all. I still need to get that disc down to you as well. If I get a chance will try and call in tomorrow

Never underestimate the power of the Tap.

Stropp
23rd February 2013, 02:29 AM
Thanks mate

Stropp, no probs at all. I still need to get that disc down to you as well. If I get a chance will try and call in tomorrow

Never underestimate the power of the Tap.

Drewboyaus
25th February 2013, 07:59 PM
So Darren, which way did you jump?

MudRunnerTD
25th February 2013, 08:55 PM
So Darren, which way did you.

I have installed Hema at this stage but am still playing with it. Looks good so far. It's no Rooftop Map app which would be awesome! But so far so good.

AB
25th February 2013, 09:07 PM
Rooftop app would be awesome!!!

Drewboyaus
25th February 2013, 09:17 PM
Daz, I have some of my Rooftops maps scanned. If you have an original I could share my electronic version with you (not a huge fan of IP theft)......
Let me know which one(s) you'd like to have a look at....

threedogs
25th February 2013, 09:51 PM
Memory maps are on my VMS unit and my elcheapo double din in dash I do everything unit. think its i-go
I'm also toying with the idea of mounting a "TABLET" if thats the term in the faux glovebox padding on
passenger side of 04 GU, so person in jump seat can operate.

MudRunnerTD
28th December 2013, 10:39 AM
Adding here for future searching

Saw this link elsewhere and thought it would be helpful here

hema-4wd-maps-app---what-ipad-models-does-the-hema-4wd-australia-app-run-on (http://hema.helpserve.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/61/0/hema-4wd-maps-app---what-ipad-models-does-the-hema-4wd-australia-app-run-on)