PDA

View Full Version : pros and cons of 4.8 petrol and 3.0l CRD

93patrol
15th December 2012, 03:34 AM
Ok patrol gods i am looking at upgrading my old ute to a family wagon and am quite keen on the newer models i would like to here from the owners of both of these engine owners for the pros and cons of each one other than fuel economy.. my bus runs at 17-20L/100km so any improvement is great but i need the towing capacity as i do alot of country driving long distance and sand driving...(to fishing spots) with a camper trailer and i want something that will get me through the soft stuff..

i have researched as much as i can fuel economy wise i know the 4.8 is heavy around town but get between 12-13l/100km on open road and the 3L is better than that but 180kw vs 115kw meh

any feed back would be great

sorry if this is abit hard to understand first shift of nights for the weekend and it is 1am

cheers Shane

MEGOMONSTER
15th December 2012, 05:24 AM
My 3L only get 13l per 100 when towing my boat down Hume , but I'm relentless 120 all the way. Except that one big hill where temp get to 600 and must back off.

93patrol
15th December 2012, 06:03 AM
do you get on the beach much monster?? whats it like in the real soft stuff or the mud?

threedogs
15th December 2012, 06:29 AM
I'm went diesel auto this time, great on fuel same as above, you'll get a higher tow rating on the 3lt manual and the 4.2 ltrs models
up to 06 but you'll be paying top dollar for these vehicles, If I had my time over again I'd go a 4.2 t/d wagon and convert to auto

93patrol
15th December 2012, 06:43 AM
yeah i would prefer a 4.2turbo but im not gonna pay $30+ for a 4b thats done over 200k i am going to keep it along time i ve have my 93 ute for 8 years now and put 120k (its done 300k now)on it mostly towing the work trailer around but i am no longer in my trade and i can fit most of my tools if i need them into a wagon. Plus i m converting the work trailer into a camper trailer so i can take the family and they can sleep in comfort.. i am happy to have a beverage or 2 and kick out the swag but the minister for war and finance is bit more in to the comfort side of things..

what are the 3l like i keep hearing they like to break.. My bro had the STR Navara with the 3l it had only done 80k and blew the turbo and cracked a piston.. he had a timer and gauges on it thats more the reason i am leaning on the 4.8 i guess dont know if i can trust the diesel.

we do have a pretty good zd30 builder in bunbury though GTS engineering they seem to be well spoken about but some forums i used to haunt like perth4x4

Maxhead
15th December 2012, 06:57 AM
If you are considering the 4.8 then expect fuel economy in the 30l/100 in sand/4x4 . I have never heard of a 4.8 running 13l/100 any where but happy to be proven wrong. You should expect around 18-20l/100
The CRD will pull your camper no problems but economy seems to vary a little between vehicles. I get around 12.5l/100 with 33's and a bit of weight on the vehicle. Towing close to 3T I was getting 19l/100.

The 4.8 would be great vehicle but for me the fuel economy would be a killer.

93patrol
15th December 2012, 07:19 AM
i have a mate the has a 2002 4.5lt and he can get around 600km on one tank no reserve tank when we went up to coral bay last year cruise control on 110 i thought that was pretty good considering i was towing my brother 5.5m ally boat and was lucky to get 400-450km out of my 4.2d with 85lt tank sitting on 90km/h that was flat out

93patrol
15th December 2012, 07:19 AM
but this feed back is great please keep it coming

nissannewby
15th December 2012, 10:42 AM
The best thing you could do is go and drive one of each. As you will be purhcasing one you will be wanting the car that performs how you like it to. Some blokes are happy to deal with the 4.8's fuel usage because its a ball tearer of a motor. The diesels with the right mods are as reliable as most others but not as good as the 4.2.

threedogs
15th December 2012, 12:37 PM
Petrols have heaps of power for towing, combine that with a gas system maybe a radiator upgrade for towing.
Can you see yourself sitting in a dualfuel Ti Patrol cruising down the hwy, that may be your weapon of choice.

Agronaught
15th December 2012, 01:18 PM
17-20 is closer to the mark for the 4.8. A little more on LPG, well thats what i get with a newly rebuilt engine and a mixer LPG.

GQ TANK
15th December 2012, 02:46 PM
We where running the 4.8 at work and now switched to the 3ltd

If fuel is not an issue - then 4.8. (work paid for the fuel)

For drivabilty - and car type pick up and go 4.8. Somer of my techs turn off over drive on the 3lTD's - to get better response.
For braking - 4.8 - we took the first 3ltd back to nissan complaining about the lack of braking abilty - spongy

Both vehicle are great off road, when I done a work paid 4wd course - we had a 4.8 patrol & a 100s deisel cruiser. On step hills the patrol wanted to run of a bit. On climbs - there was way more power & grunt from the 4.8 patrol

Personally - if I could afford a new truck, & the fuel - it would be the 4.8

James_R
15th December 2012, 03:04 PM
I have a 4.8 and as mentioned above it's an absolute ball tearer of a donk. It puts out the same kilowatts as the old 5.0L Holden V8, and propells that 3 Tonne of truck as if It's nothing. That's one big plus of a 4.8. Following on from that you will never have any dramas getting over dunes on sand with one of these girls. They go hard and have the fuel usage to show it, however.

I do a lot of city driving with mine (i.e. 10 minutes to work and back) I get about 650km-700km out of both the main and sub most weeks, highway driving about 750km-800km.

I'm lucky enough that at the moment me and the better half can afford to pay for the juice for her but when the time for mini-me's come along I daresay we'll be looking at getting a 2012 GU Diesel. I certainly wouldn't be getting the big 6 if you're after economy but for balls, you can't go past a TB48E.

BigMav
15th December 2012, 06:57 PM
What sort of size gas tank can you fit to the 4.8L? Do you need to remove the subtank or anything else? Would the clearance suffer from a gas tank?

Agronaught
15th December 2012, 07:06 PM
I have a 115L lpg tank and no notable clearance issues. This replaced the main tank leaving the 35L sub tank for petrol, which im planning on upgrading to a 78L for more range.

Cant say for sure how long a tank of lpg goes, still working that out After the new engine and lpg converter replacement.

lhurley
17th December 2012, 09:03 PM
If you want economy you cant go past a diesel. My dual fuel 4.5 goes pretty good, but its a costly beast. Fortunately i have gas but its still expensive. It really comes down to what you want to use the car for, and what you want out of it. Turing/towing, go the diesel. Leaving everyone in you dust at the lights, well dont own a patrol, but go the 4.8.

I have heard of a saying that i like, "You're never late in a 4.8"

Agronaught
17th December 2012, 10:48 PM
The 4.8 is a *lot* of fun to drive... Although i sometimes cant tell which one is the fuel gauge and which is the speedo... I think the speedo is the slower of the two!

happygu
19th December 2012, 06:38 AM
I have the 3L CRD, and I think it is great on fuel, enough power with standard tyres, and quite liveable.........crap feeling in the brakes compared to the 4.8, and not as much mumbo.

To try and put it in perspective, I drove both the 4.5 Petrol and 4.8 Petrol, and I think that the 3L CRD outperforms the 4.5 Petrol, but is definitely outdone by the 4.8.

Everyone will most propbably agree that once you start modifying your car and adding weight in accessories, that you will need to modify the Diesel for extra power via an exhaust and/or chip....I haven't done it yet ( and I run 33 inch MTZ's with loads of accessories which suck a bit of power out ), after 4 years of owning the CRD, but I will end up doing it at some stage after Christmas and will then comment on the improvements....

To put that in perspective though, you have people asking "how do I get more power out of my 4.8 Petrol?"......I think that whatever you have, you get used to it, and then you want more.

93patrol
19th December 2012, 12:02 PM
Yep very true on the power talk I had a Yamaha R1. Slow car , quick bike but now I am just after a nicer wagon. What are the 04 3Lt like are they the dodgy ones still or did they change. I pop up a car that I am looking at see what you think. I still have to get final clearance from the minister for war and finance first before I go ahead and spend money. Isn't it always the way

93patrol
19th December 2012, 12:04 PM
this is one of the 4bys i have my eye on, what do you guys reckon

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=SSE-AD-833518&Cr=1

oncedisturbed
19th December 2012, 12:08 PM
i also have a 2009 4.8L and averages 20L/100km and with a 145L long range tank averages 600kms, I do not have a sub tank "yet". Would better economy be nice, Yes but it helps if you need to put the boot in and get out of the way in an emergency

very thristy motor but a lot of power behind it. Make sure you look after the motor as a new 1 is approx $13,500 to replace (just found that part out)

93patrol
19th December 2012, 12:13 PM
I guess that's the payoff horsepower vs economy. Would be nice to have both though really. I will have to keep looking around and take both for a drive and see which one appeals to me. Thanks again guys you've all good info for me to think on

gaddy
19th December 2012, 03:35 PM
For what its worth I have not long brought a 4.2 gu111 I know you say about the price but if you shop around they are there . ours was mid $30s but that was fully fitted out and only 180 000 km .electric everything and leather to boot,bar rack lift exhaust only needs a awning , and i fitted a snorkel I brought it for the towing capabilities . and it does a top job pulling a 16 ft jayco on the beaches , as well as 3.2t of boat at other times , and by all accounts should last for a long time to come i can not comment on fuel use , as I am not into that , fill it when it needs it , after owning petrol cruisers and luxes anything is cheep to run,

Gaddy

Agronaught
19th December 2012, 04:56 PM
Nah, i picked up a new 4.8 motor installed for 8K... Although i may have been lucky.

happygu
19th December 2012, 10:22 PM
Yep very true on the power talk I had a Yamaha R1. Slow car , quick bike but now I am just after a nicer wagon. What are the 04 3Lt like are they the dodgy ones still or did they change. I pop up a car that I am looking at see what you think. I still have to get final clearance from the minister for war and finance first before I go ahead and spend money. Isn't it always the way

Hey 93Patrol,

The 04 models are getting into the safer range, the later the better.....Having said that my old 03 model is still getting around no issues and it is well over 200,000 klms now, last I heard it was around 236,000.

Someone that works with me has a 2001 model 3 L, never warms it up - just gets in and drives it, and it is rarely serviced...that thing is now over 300,000klms with no issues either.

Mic

93patrol
20th December 2012, 10:37 AM
Thanks happygu , this one has a new motor done by Nissan I don't know the full story apparently they stuffed the first one but I think I might have missed the boat on it as well. Oh well I am sure there's more around the corner

93patrol
28th December 2012, 05:50 PM
well my plans for a new wagon have been put on hold apparently a new bathroom is needed more than a new car, i said we could shower out the back under the hose but that got me a night in the swag in the backyard. oh well see what happens next year, thanks everyone for your replies it was a great help

florussem
24th February 2013, 02:43 PM
Hello 93 I presently own a TB 48 by default, bit of a story really. I am really suprised how good this engine is. I just took our van (2.9t) for a trip and the engine was smooth and easy. Without the van it very quiet and well enough power, BUT the fuel consumption is 17l/100 around the city. I am looking at putting in a 6.6l duramax engine but this may not fit with your budget, a bit more expensive than the 4.2D. Just for interest sake I had a toyota with a 24 valve turbo diesel engine to pull our van and this averaged 19 - 20l/100 on the open road.