PDA

View Full Version : Maxtrax melted

Stropp
15th December 2012, 02:15 AM
Hi guys just wondering if anyone has had their maxtrax melt? Used mine once in the sand to get out and I noticed a few of the spikes have melted, have maxis mud tyres, surely they should be better than that, not like the wheels were sitting spinning, just put them under the back tyres and it felt like it came straight out?...:furious:

threedogs
15th December 2012, 06:22 AM
Ring MAXTRAXS I think they changed the material for that reason not 100% but ring maybe they'll swap it under warranty

macca
15th December 2012, 07:58 AM
Do you have a photo of the damage. For the price of those things you would want them to be in good nick for a while.

MudRunnerTD
15th December 2012, 08:34 AM
No Brainer, they will swap them over for you without question. Life Time Warranty.

Let me know if they dont???? But they WILL!!

Bloodyaussie
15th December 2012, 08:36 AM
Really life time warranty?? thats what I like to see, makes them a much more viable investment .

Stropp
15th December 2012, 10:52 AM
thanks guys i will call arb where the young fella bought them as a birthday present for me and see what happens.

threedogs
15th December 2012, 12:18 PM
This should be interesting now. IMO Hope all goes well
but nothing to do with ARB really.

Stropp
15th December 2012, 12:48 PM
yeh arb said so what, get onto maxtrax.

threedogs
15th December 2012, 01:13 PM
Figured, so nothing has happened with ARB attitude. If that was point of purchase I would expect ARB be responsible for any warranty issues of any kind.
They busted their balls to get exclusive rights for that product {I think}. Does not say much for their back up work, but hey ,they have your money. And thats what count.
Is it a Franchise or ARB outlet, as one of the members here is from head office if you need help, PM me I'll pass on his details to you.

Stropp
15th December 2012, 01:23 PM
3d i have emailed maxrtax so i await their reply thx, it was a franchise.

Rustyboner81
15th December 2012, 03:15 PM
i have seen the nubs on my mates melt a little.
just the edge where you get a little spin to bring the trax under the tyres.
we did think much of it. st that stage i was bogged in sand with no front drive, they saved the day

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

threedogs
15th December 2012, 05:25 PM
IMO Point of sale should have sorted it, once again ARB have dropped the ball, Its not up to you the customer to do any running around, point of sale
should have made a call to see if warranty will cover the "melting". done and dusted yes or no, there and then ,You the customer know where you stand.
In a polite manners its either Yes early examples melted please change over to the updated version, Shite Give me a job in costomer service its not rocket science,
Hand ball all the time hand ball Not good enough by todays standard, you listening Sam

Stropp
15th December 2012, 08:14 PM
Yeh I know but I am hoping to get the go from the horse not its ars$ so a simple email and hopefully I can get the correct info to be able to take them in to swap, it's also snapped a couple of the lugs clean off, will post some pics ,Monday when I get to work.

lorrieandjas
15th December 2012, 09:59 PM
Mate - I have had the old and new versions and never had an issue. But that said a mate of mine snapped some of the nubs off and he brought them through a reseller (campertrailer mob) who basically took them back and swapped them over no questions asked. He was happy Maxtrax would sort him out as they had done so before so no one was out of pocket and the customer (my mate) got a great experience from Maxtrax and the reseller. Long story short Maxtrax will sort you out - but the reseller in your case could have been more helpful.

Jas

Clunk
15th December 2012, 10:17 PM
I'd be going back to ARSE and take it up with them, they supplied the gear so it lays with them.

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

the evil twin
15th December 2012, 11:42 PM
Uuummmmm, melting isn't covered as far as I know. They certainly warn you against it in the user instructions.

Copy of warranty (snipped for ease of viewing)

MAXTRAX Products come with a 2 years Warranty against manufacturing defects. If the Product/s, when used in accordance with the "Instructions for use" provided with the Product/s, fails due to faulty manufacture, within 24 months from the date of the original purchase, we will replace it at no cost to you.

If the damage to the Product/s is found, upon inspection by us, to be caused by ....
failure to follow the 'Instructions for use' (such as burning or melting of the Product/s caused by spinning tyre/s;...
we will offer to replace the Product/s at your cost.

Edited comments below, cause I missed a bit cutting and pasting

I've used mine heaps now and they are still quite reasonable but I've burnt a couple of spots as well as it can be easy to break traction as they bite in but also seen others wreck 'em in one attempt by smoking it up big time.

Having said that Maxtrax seem to be, by all accounts, a great mob so certainly worth trying them for a replacement.

MudRunnerTD
16th December 2012, 12:00 AM
Thank you oH Evil Freak!.. Not sure if i posted in your congrats thread mate, well done. Always productive.

the evil twin
16th December 2012, 12:08 AM
Thank you oH Evil Freak!.. Not sure if i posted in your congrats thread mate, well done. Always productive.

Ta mate...

If I was Stropp and it was obvious they weren't abused I'd have a chat to the manuf... you never know till you ask eh and it's not as if they aren't making a quid on them.

Stropp
16th December 2012, 01:31 AM
Ta mate...

If I was Stropp and it was obvious they weren't abused I'd have a chat to the manuf... you never know till you ask eh and it's not as if they aren't making a quid on them.

Yes I have emailed them about it and await their reply.

Stropp
16th December 2012, 01:00 PM
pics attached

threedogs
16th December 2012, 01:53 PM
Seems they'll cover snapped lugs which you have ,so seems either way you'll get a new pair. Hopefully

Rustyboner81
17th December 2012, 11:25 AM
spoke to Brad at the maxtrax office
+61732605851
asked about snapped lugs, the feel is here that if its minnor damage (not going to stop them working) then it may be hard to get them warrantied.
but give it a go mate i still think your in with a chance

should just go in there with a forum shirt on and tell them there is about to be a nationwide patrol bouycot of maxtrax if they dont honor the warrenty

all tapped out

Stropp
17th December 2012, 01:25 PM
thanks mate i have emailed them so will await their reply. cheers

Stropp
17th December 2012, 02:18 PM
well teir answer is too bad low range and slow NO SPINNING the wheels or no warranty :( will never buy them again, just stick with a peice if rubber matt.

threedogs
17th December 2012, 02:24 PM
Need to get a new job as a Magazine Editor or a 4x4 shop manager, must be in the very fine print, Well we know now and can spread the word,
Stiff Chips Stropp worth a go

lorrieandjas
17th December 2012, 02:31 PM
Bugger mate - as I posted earlier they honoured a claim but they were snapped lugs not burns....... Makes me think twice about buying them again - a shame because they are a good little product!

Jas

MudRunnerTD
17th December 2012, 03:04 PM
Well Looks like we are all buying the new TREADS that are cheaper anyway..... Bad luck mate, Bad Call MAXTRAX You now Loose.

jack
17th December 2012, 03:23 PM
I was tossing up between MAXTRAX & TREDS, mind now made up. I was getting 4 for xmas, looks like the kids save some money!

Rustyboner81
17th December 2012, 03:52 PM
so maxtrax are only good if you can push them right under the tyre.(controlled conditions)......... the only way they work regularly involves melting the nubs........ rather weak for what they're design for which i low range power.

annoyed.. stuff 'em treads for me too when the time comes.

boycot..boycot..boycot.
stick that up yer tailpipe maxtrax

Cuppa
17th December 2012, 04:09 PM
Treds warranty excludes wheelspin too.

Cuppa

Stropp
17th December 2012, 04:33 PM
oops, didnt read the whole thing, there was a little bit after all the guff about the website and paper instauctions about wheelspin etc etc at the bottom of the email that says send some pics and we can see what we can do, my appologies for not reading the whole lot :( i just spat it when i saw the not covered by warranty etc etc.

lorrieandjas
17th December 2012, 04:53 PM
Hey mate - that sounds more like what my mate experienced! Hopefully they do come good! Keep us posted mate.

Jas

the evil twin
17th December 2012, 05:52 PM
Wow... take a chill pill dudes... or a deep breath and a sip on a stubby :1062:

All of these product manuf (not just Maxtrax) using similar materials void the warranty for "melting" so no point giving Maxtrax a serve and buying someone else's who has the same clauses in the warranty.

Without having a shot at anyone and not saying they didn't do the following but if you...

Spend a few minutes removing the bund that builds up around the tyres, drop the tyres another 2 to 4 PSI as that or driver error is what prob what caused the bogging, position the tracks correctly and go easy peasy and the chances of wheel spin are very much reduced and the vehicle usually pops out with suprisingly little effort.

Don't put them in front of the rear tyres and try going forward. As the vehicle 'climbs' the trax at the back the front is bogging in again.

Unless you are fully locked I strongly recommend you don't put them cross axle (1 front and 1 rear) and Yes I've seen that done on an open diff. The front track does nothing so the rear one copped the lot (E.T. shakes head and walks away). Also if you don't have a locker and put them both on the front axle you are more prone to wheel spin.

I've used mine about equally forward (in which case I put them in front of the front tyres) or reverse (and put them rear of the rear tyres) and that way you get a 'double whammy' as the other axle travels over them as well.

I also have lanyards about 3 metres long to attach to the trax and the vehicle so they drag behind once you get out. Mainly 'cause I am a lazy old coot. Great in sand but be wary of that in mud tho. I buried one almost a metre down one day and it took 10 to 15 minutes to dig out and break the suction (some of the WPC boys will remember that one at Napier Road)

Bottom line... I have no affiliation with Maxtrax so buy whatever floats your boat as any of that style self recovery gear or the more traditional waffle boards are probably equally as good but also equally as prone to melting.

Stropp
18th December 2012, 11:31 AM
no go, sent the photos and they said obviously wheel spin so a brand new set of maxtax in very secondhand condition :((, the broken pins are not broken but the mould injection points.

Winnie
18th December 2012, 11:33 AM
That seems like a bit of a product flaw... needs to be made of something else by the sounds of it if it can't cope with a little bit of wheel spin.

DIAL-A-TAP

Rustyboner81
18th December 2012, 11:38 AM
they've been out long enough, they know the products weak spot so fix it.... i will gladly pay a higher price for something that will last longer.

serviceable parts, replace the nubs with bolts that you can change out, bolts are no worse than the crap we drive over anyway.
whatever do something caz if you dont get out first pop goodbye nubs easy as that. im not talking the whole track.(just the leading edges.)

and the whole ARB attitude is crap anyway. you go in the store obviously prepared to spend good hard earned coin and im yet to have someone get of there arse and show some customer service.

threedogs
18th December 2012, 11:51 AM
Oh well we live and learn, not a big fan of jumping up and down screaming,
Never got anyone ,anywhere. A quick reply email would sort that out quick enough.
As suggested maybe a less aggressive driving style may work. Not a big fan of sand
either only as I dont think it goes well with bearings.

Stropp
18th December 2012, 12:49 PM
yeh live and learn, i thought they would be a bit more solid than that but oh well, easy does it from now on.

oncedisturbed
18th December 2012, 06:47 PM
not good to hear Stropp, that just made up my mind not to buy. Will source some hessian bags instead, always work a treat and better than carpet etc

mudski
20th December 2012, 07:54 PM
IMO Point of sale should have sorted it, once again ARB have dropped the ball, Its not up to you the customer to do any running around, point of sale
should have made a call to see if warranty will cover the "melting". done and dusted yes or no, there and then ,You the customer know where you stand.
In a polite manners its either Yes early examples melted please change over to the updated version, Shite Give me a job in costomer service its not rocket science,
Hand ball all the time hand ball Not good enough by todays standard, you listening Sam

I agree mate. I spent 18years in the transport industry dealing face to face with customers and learnt a real lot. One, never make the customer do the work for any warranty return. Two, be helpful and polite, even when the customer maybe in a bad mood or are as dumb as dog chit. When I left the industry, well, still doing it on few weekends, all the customers wanted to know if I was going to open up my own shop so they would buy from me. I made plenty of good friends over the years. I the pay wasn't so bad I probably would have stayed.
But yeah, there is no way they should fob you off like that. One of the main reasons I stay clear of ARB, their "don't giveashit" attitude. Hmm, maybe me and TD should run an ARB store. We'd clean up...Literally, all the stock would be on our own vehicles. :)

Rustyboner81
20th December 2012, 08:58 PM
I agree mate. I spent 18years in the transport industry dealing face to face with customers and learnt a real lot. One, never make the customer do the work for any warranty return. Two, be helpful and polite, even when the customer maybe in a bad mood or are as dumb as dog chit. When I left the industry, well, still doing it on few weekends, all the customers wanted to know if I was going to open up my own shop so they would buy from me. I made plenty of good friends over the years. I the pay wasn't so bad I probably would have stayed.
But yeah, there is no way they should fob you off like that. One of the main reasons I stay clear of ARB, their "don't giveashit" attitude. Hmm, maybe me and TD should run an ARB store. We'd clean up...Literally, all the stock would be on our own vehicles. :)

on the level mate

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

shaun100
26th December 2012, 10:05 AM
pics attached

These look more like melted tyre rubber rather than melted MaxTrax. Although no denying the broken lug.

Stropp
26th December 2012, 12:41 PM
They tell me the lugs are not broken but where they do the injection moulding!

Robbomaz
4th February 2013, 06:20 PM
Broke a CV with a MaxTrax - stuck in the sand, drivers side completly down, MT under the drivers front....or so I thought. Turns out the MT wasnt quite against the tyre, got the L2 'slow churn' going, truck creeps forward and bites on the MT.....*ping*:blowup:
Pulled out by my mates wife in her 80 series.........oh the humiliation!!:1092:
Bloody MaxTrax. Bloody sand. Bloody auto-lockers. Bloody 'finest crystal' CV's *mutter mutter mutter*

Rolled home from the camping trip planning solid axle coversions.....:devilred:

NP99
14th February 2013, 12:17 AM
From memory it's consumer law that the point of sale does the warranty back for you. A lot will try and make you do it!