PDA

View Full Version : What Sat phone to buy???

grubkenbel
14th December 2012, 01:07 PM
I'm looking at getting a Sat phone what are the best on the market and priced best these days?

WYLD333
14th December 2012, 02:53 PM
Hey mate we use these a fair bit for work when we go away, id be looking at only iridium but thats me, how much you wana spend?
From memory the ones we use are aorund the 2k mark

lorrieandjas
14th December 2012, 07:12 PM
Mate - Iridium are the go. Never had an issue with them.

Jas

NissanGQ4.2
14th December 2012, 07:24 PM
Hi mate,

I have changed your thread title and moved your thread into the "The Great Outdoors" - "Navigation and Communication" Section

As this category is better suited to your question

Cheers

Todd

commsman
20th March 2013, 03:47 PM
I only recommend Iridium. Signal is great, n major droup outs generally. The conversation (or the system) utilises handover techniques (like mobile phones) where the conversation gets handed over from one sat to another as a satellite goes over the horizon and there are some very good call plans available for all different sorts of use. I use Iridium (sold off an Australian plan) extensively in PNG and works well.

I've also used the old Globalstar (changed their name to something else now) which is plagued with problems of deafness on the satellites. It also doesn't support handover so you only get a couple of minutes of conversation if you get a signal at all.

Thyura make reasonable units, but I'm not sure what the Aussie coverage is like.

Whatever you buy, remember the handset is designed for a specific network so there is no chopping and changing between networks like you can do with Telstra, Optus, Vodafone etc. so it is an expensive mistake if you buy a handset that doesn't work and have to go and buy another handset later on. Do your reasearch early and know what sort of coverage you will need and you will get.

Remember also the phone needs to be able to see the satellite in the sky (a long way up) so the phone isn't going to work inside the car very well, if at all, unless you have a proper antenna connection outside of the car. It also wont work in areas like deep canyons where there is limited vision of the sky or in heavily wooded areas which blocks the coverage of the sky. Sat phones really are line of sight. If you (or the phone) can't see the sky clearly because something is in the way then it isn't going to work properly.

Slayer29369
31st March 2013, 11:03 AM
Go the Inmarsat isatpro, can get prepaid or plan, works around the world and does not change sats mid conversation. I've used mine in places iridium phones won't connect. Much cheaper to buy and same style handset as a mobile. We have used them in the Middle East and Asia without any issues and without roaming costs.

TPC
31st March 2013, 12:04 PM
I have used Thyura, Globalstar and Iridium with work and the best phone for you can depend on what you will be using it for.

The Thyura and Immarsat phones use geostationary satellites, this means you have to be facing the direction of the satellites to make calls without dropouts and using them in close to hill faces and large structures can block the satellite, I have found this to be a problem using them for work as i need to be able to make a call at any time.
If you are only using the phone for recreation and checking in while on a trip this would probably be ok, they also tend to be cheaper and more compact.

The Iridium phones use a constellation of satellites which means they are always going to get coverage if they have a view of the sky.
One problem they have is the delay in the voice going through, this can cause a lot of confusion for people not used to using them, especially when ringing home to speak to the missus as she will finish talking and hear nothing and start talking again instead of waiting for the delay for my voice to come through.

The Globalstar system used to work the best as it had no delay, unfortunately most of their satellites failed several years ago. They have been launching new satellites but not sure if they have the service running properly again yet.

threedogs
31st March 2013, 12:30 PM
Hiring may be an option instead of outright purchase depending on your needs
I would go Iridium