PDA

View Full Version : GU - Installing Outback Draw System

PMC
6th December 2012, 03:21 PM
G'day Trendsetters,

Here is the latest mods that i have just completed on the Patrol. I have just installed an Outback drawer system to the Patrol.

Before installing the new Outback storage drawer system, first you have to turn the cargo barrier rear floor straps upside down, so that the frame sits evenly on the floor.

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u434/RLI1/Latest%20photos/IMG_1305.jpg

I then placed an outdoors table to help assist me with loading the frame into the back of the Patrol. Or get a mate to help you lift the fame into the Patrol

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u434/RLI1/Latest%20photos/IMG_1309.jpg

With the frame in place, mark and drill 10 bolt holes and tighten the frame to the floor.

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u434/RLI1/Latest%20photos/IMG_1317.jpg

Make sure you use a level when tightening up the bolts. By doing this you help eliminate the drawers from binding or being difficult to open or close. If you over tighten one end you risk causing the drawer rail to become uneven.

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u434/RLI1/Latest%20photos/IMG_1320.jpg
http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u434/RLI1/Latest%20photos/IMG_1321.jpg

With the frame in place, now you can fit the side panels and bottom drawer locking plate.

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u434/RLI1/Latest%20photos/IMG_1318.jpg
http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u434/RLI1/Latest%20photos/IMG_1319.jpg

Now slide the drawers into place. Remember to fit the 4 anti roll back spring latch locking tabs.

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u434/RLI1/Latest%20photos/IMG_1322.jpg

Note, that all the parts are labeled with make it any easy install, saving you over $300.00 by fitting it yourself!

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u434/RLI1/Latest%20photos/IMG_1308.jpg
http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u434/RLI1/Latest%20photos/IMG_1307.jpg

I then fitted my ARB fridge slide to the top panel.

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u434/RLI1/Latest%20photos/IMG_1324.jpg

Ye-haa baby, she is all fitted!

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u434/RLI1/Latest%20photos/IMG_1343.jpg

Regards,

RLI

NissanGQ4.2
13th December 2012, 09:47 PM
Hi mate, have copied this from your members ride thread into the DIY sectection as it could be beneficial 2 anyone else that may be installing one of there draws into a GU

Great write up

Cheers

Toddie

wildgu6
13th December 2012, 10:43 PM
Nice little step by step DIY Paul, very understanding and looks so easy. Well done and the drawers look a treat.
Good work mate.

You saved a few $$$ by DIY, but if you dont mind me asking, what did the drawer system itself set you bak ???

Cheers Pete

Stropp
13th December 2012, 11:36 PM
Good info mate, thanks for taking the time to do that.

PMC
14th December 2012, 09:18 PM
Nice little step by step DIY Paul, very understanding and looks so easy. Well done and the drawers look a treat.
Good work mate.

You saved a few $$$ by DIY, but if you dont mind me asking, what did the drawer system itself set you bak ???

Cheers Pete

G'day Pete,

I picked them up from e-bay. Unwanted prize. I paid $1,000.00 for them. I think i might have saved around $950.00 for what ARB charge for them.

Regards,

RLI

PMC
14th December 2012, 09:24 PM
Hi mate, have copied this from your members ride thread into the DIY sectection as it could be beneficial 2 anyone else that may be installing one of there draws into a GU

Great write up

Cheers

Toddie

G'day Toddie,

Not a problem mate!

We are here to help one another and the folks on this great forum have certainly helped me.

PS, its the least i can do!

Regards,

RLI

PMC
14th December 2012, 09:26 PM
Good info mate, thanks for taking the time to do that.

Not a problem Stropp!

Regards,

RLI

wildgu6
14th December 2012, 11:03 PM
G'day Pete,

I picked them up from e-bay. Unwanted prize. I paid $1,000.00 for them. I think i might have saved around $950.00 for what ARB charge for them.

Regards,

RLI

Nice one mate, good buy. Pays to keep an eye out.

lorrieandjas
14th December 2012, 11:10 PM
Looks good mate. That'll be handy for the 'tip!

Jas

PMC
15th December 2012, 01:04 PM
Looks good mate. That'll be handy for the 'tip!

Jas

G'day Jas!

That's exactly the reason i bought them!

Regards,

RLI

Kast
4th February 2013, 02:34 AM
Nice work RLI and thanks for sharing.

I noticed your excellent purchase didn't have a slide so you put one on top. I've seen a set that have the inbuilt slide on the RHS. Knowing what you know from the install, do you think the assembly of the draws would permit a swap of the slide side?

I realise it might be a stretch but you seemed bloody handy and I reckon you'd have a worthy opinion.

Cheers,

ST

MEGOMONSTER
4th February 2013, 05:49 AM
Nice job, looks pretty str8 forward when your doing it. Great looking set if drawers too.

oncedisturbed
4th February 2013, 11:15 AM

I noticed your excellent purchase didn't have a slide so you put one on top. I've seen a set that have the inbuilt slide on the RHS. Knowing what you know from the install, do you think the assembly of the draws would permit a swap of the slide side?

I realise it might be a stretch but you seemed bloody handy and I reckon you'd have a worthy opinion.

Cheers,

ST

Kast, I have an outback set that I had the fridge slide put on the LHS and makes it very easy

Kast
9th February 2013, 08:50 PM
Legend. Thanks oncedistrubed, now all I have to do is find a set! I saw onefor sale that had a slide on the RHS (why I don't know) but as usual you snooze and lose!

Knorf
17th February 2013, 12:59 PM
My outback drawers has the built in slide on the RHS, ie behind driver. It was explained to me like this at the time; The slide wont work on the LHS if you only open the left hand barn door, as the door is too small, so you have to open both doors. If you have to open both doors then the slide may as well be on any side. If you want to access something else in the rear other than the fridge, to get something out, or put something in, then it is handy to just open the left door and do it, cant be done if fridge is on LHS.

Saying that, my fridge lives on the RHS but can cause some issues with the rear door table I have, which I use to cook on or prepare on if on short stops. Can be sorted by removing things from the fridge first of course but something to keep in mind.

Overall, I think I prefer my setup to the alternate side.

Kast
17th February 2013, 07:31 PM
My outback drawers has the built in slide on the RHS, ie behind driver. It was explained to me like this at the time; The slide wont work on the LHS if you only open the left hand barn door, as the door is too small, so you have to open both doors. If you have to open both doors then the slide may as well be on any side. If you want to access something else in the rear other than the fridge, to get something out, or put something in, then it is handy to just open the left door and do it, cant be done if fridge is on LHS.

Saying that, my fridge lives on the RHS but can cause some issues with the rear door table I have, which I use to cook on or prepare on if on short stops. Can be sorted by removing things from the fridge first of course but something to keep in mind.

Overall, I think I prefer my setup to the alternate side.

Thanks Knorf, it's good to know the logic for a RHS install. We were thinking LHS because we can still get into the fridge with only the LH door open, but that's only good for the stuff in the top of the fridge. Of course that's not using the slide, and yes you most certainly need both doors open if you want to pull the fridge out.

Each to his own I suppose but I appreciate the info. Cheers.

TMC
13th March 2013, 11:29 AM
Hey just a quick question.
Do these "proper" drawer systems incorporate the Child restraints??

TMC
13th March 2013, 11:30 AM
Man I love those latches on those drawers hey. Look the goods

Shukes
14th April 2013, 12:32 PM
Wow looks great. how have they held up? Any gotcha's?

Dirk Diggler
14th April 2013, 12:50 PM

Good question! I am keen to know if the child restraints are still accessible

TMC
15th April 2013, 09:18 AM
After reading up more about it. I believe it doesn't matter. You can just get a bar, that incoperated the existing mounts near the cargo barrier and use that as a anchor point.
I believe there are actual people that do this.

PMC
15th April 2013, 12:14 PM

Cheers,

ST

G'day kast,

Sorry for taking so long to respond to your inquiry. The answer is yes you can swap which side you wish to have to slide. It is just a matter of unbolting the small bolts on both panels and then swap them around.

Regards,

RLI

PMC
15th April 2013, 12:18 PM

G'day TMC,

My system has three changeable restraint points.

Regards,

RLI

PMC
15th April 2013, 12:20 PM
Wow looks great. how have they held up? Any gotcha's?

G'day shukes,

So far so good, i have not had any problems at all the with drawers!

Regards,

RLI

PMC
15th April 2013, 12:24 PM
Good question! I am keen to know if the child restraints are still accessible

G'day Dirk Diggler,

As previously advised, my system has three changeable restraint points.

Regards,

RLI

PMC
15th April 2013, 12:26 PM
After reading up more about it. I believe it doesn't matter. You can just get a bar, that incoperated the existing mounts near the cargo barrier and use that as a anchor point.

G'day TMC,

It is so easy to install anchor points either to the drawer system or the cargo barrier!

Regards,

RLI

megatexture
15th April 2013, 07:10 PM
I've got an 80 ltr and keep it on the right, though not on a slide but due to its size it wouldn't slide out the small door only so if i had a slide I'd still put it on the right for faster access to other items.

NP99
15th April 2013, 07:17 PM
G'day Pete,

Regards,

RLI

I never get to those eBay bargains :)

firm351
16th June 2013, 12:13 AM

TMC,

The bar you might be thinking of is called a CRA Bar. In a GU it mounts to the body on either side of the cargo area where the small square pop out panels are which would be just behind the cargo barrier if one was fitted. I have just priced one up with three anchor point so we can have three child restraint across the second row of seats. Comes in at $400 fitted which comes with a vehicle modification plate for the extra restraint anchor point.

Paul.

FNQGU
23rd June 2013, 02:14 PM
RLI, you said you drilled 10 bolt holes, as per the frame requirements. Did you have any dramas getting the nuts on from beneath the vehicle? Were any of the cargo area bolt points able to be used?

Apologies if your pictures show this, I'm o/s at the moment and for some reason the pics won't load...

BenK

Kast
20th July 2013, 03:27 AM
Guys, installed my OB drawers a few weeks ago. Used existing holes on the front and drilled only at the rear. So four mounts all up. Can't fathom 10 holes as the frame spans between them. Did a trip to karijini, coral bay. Including the buggered and corrugated track to yardie ck. Not a problem at all. I've got a gu iv.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Kast
20th July 2013, 08:46 PM
I should add I put shims on the spans between the bolted anchor points so they'll stay true.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Bikerider
29th December 2013, 06:20 PM
Thanks Mate very helpful Cheers :Yahoo!:

BigRAWesty
1st January 2016, 02:02 PM
Ok I'm digging this one up..
Has anyone with an outback setup fitted the child restraints "aftermarket"?
My unit has all the holes just not the threaded brackets..
Have read they charge $30 each bracket... surely not!!

threedogs
1st January 2016, 02:35 PM
Surely you could whip one up thats stronger and looks the part.

Winnie
1st January 2016, 02:39 PM
Surely you could whip one up thats stronger and looks the part.
Outback's has been through all the testing and is rated

threedogs
1st January 2016, 02:58 PM
yeah Gary does very good work, he started off making door pockets for his mates 4x4s
$30 for a rated bracket priceless