PDA

View Full Version : Tracking - Two Way SOS

Coldcomfort
13th December 2012, 06:41 PM
A while ago there was a thread that related to a coiuple of young blokes that perished in a very remote location.

http://www.inreachdelorme.com/

This is another possibility/option to being safe in remote places.

NissanGQ4.2
13th December 2012, 06:56 PM
I have moved your thread under - The Great Outdoors - Survival In The Outback as I feel it is better to be here rather than in the general thread.

I have also renamed the thread title to suit better

Good find mate

Cheers

Toddie

threedogs
13th December 2012, 07:15 PM
I've heard of these, very similar to EPIRB ,but you press one button says all ok. press 2nd button says we're stuck but can get going again, 3rd says something like injured not life theatenening but will require assistance. If it will save a life great, every remote area traveller should have one.

Coldcomfort
13th December 2012, 07:22 PM
This device will synch with your smart phone and allow you to send detailed text messages via sattelite.... Not cheap, but if you are in a mountain of bother, whats a few dollars. The device you are talking about (I think) is the spot location device.

Coldcomfort
13th December 2012, 07:23 PM
I have moved your thread under - The Great Outdoors - Survival In The Outback as I feel it is better to be here rather than in the general thread.

I have also renamed the thread title to suit better

Good find mate

Cheers

Toddie

Thanks mate.........

NissanGQ4.2
13th December 2012, 07:26 PM
Thanks mate.........

No worries, will look at your link better a bit later on, quick glance it looks like a great product that every 4wdriver should have..... a new member is pushing my buttons and not in a good way so spending some quality forum time, merging and deleting his posts! *L*

the evil twin
13th December 2012, 08:02 PM
Hmmm... interesting bit of kit. Very expensive service charges tho, $20 per month (or more) 50 cents per text (or more) and a charge for track points.

Looks like it is essentially a combined EPIRB and tethered SMS Sat Modem sorta.

SPOT would still be my weapon of choice and a Sat Phone if you want two way comms but I can def see why it would be good for some people.

NissanGQ4.2
13th December 2012, 08:16 PM
Hmmm... interesting bit of kit. Very expensive service charges tho, $20 per month (or more) 50 cents per text (or more) and a charge for track points.

Looks like it is essentially a combined EPIRB and tethered SMS Sat Modem sorta.

SPOT would still be my weapon of choice and a Sat Phone if you want two way comms but I can def see why it would be good for some people.

Sorry mate I have never hear of SPOT are you referring to this mob http://www.findmespot.net.au/

Cheers

Toddie

the evil twin
13th December 2012, 08:24 PM
Sorry mate I have never hear of SPOT are you referring to this mob http://www.findmespot.net.au/

Cheers

Toddie

Yep, they use them by the thousands in the Mines here in W.A.

In the remote areas every individual and also every vehicle has on for the drillers, ssurveyors, exploration guys etc.

For us dudes, The Dogman has one he got a few yaers ago... they work gangbusters eh Doggy

NissanGQ4.2
13th December 2012, 08:27 PM
Yep, they use them by the thousands in the Mines here in W.A.

In the remote areas every individual and also every vehicle has on for the drillers, ssurveyors, exploration guys etc.

For us dudes, The Dogman has one he got a few yaers ago... they work gangbusters eh Doggy

Thanks mate, will have a read of that site as well :)

the evil twin
13th December 2012, 08:33 PM
Both SPOT and Inreach are similar pricing for the gear.
Inreach has more features but is approx double the service charges and not sure how good the mapping is for outside the USA.

I must add that I am basing the above comments on current knowledge of the SPOT's but only the web info of Inreach as I have never seen one in the flesh.

Coldcomfort
13th December 2012, 11:09 PM
http://www.wired.com/reviews/2012/10/satellite-messengers/all/

Some more info.....

Coldcomfort
14th December 2012, 09:11 AM
I have a spot tracker at the moment. I have had it for about 3 years. I use it when I head out on long motor cycle rides. And I mean long rides. My last long ride was Broome to Bowen in 49 hours. My wife thinks that I am insane, as do most others, so she likes the way she can watch my real time (Close enough) progess. It is also good so she can tell how far from home I am and she can get some beer into the fridge. The limitation on this device is the lack of detail in any mayday message. A possible scenario might be if you are outback of beyond and your young kid gets a snake bight. You can push the 911 button on the spot and your lat/long will be recorded and passed to the appropriate emergency services. Some one will be despatched to investigate but they might not have any specific snake bight anti veneen (SP?) But with this device you could send an emergency signal with a message like "Snake bight, 10 year old child, brown snake" or something with dteails of your emergency. That could be a life saver in its own right.....