PDA

View Full Version : Duel Battery System (DBS)

matty_3977
13th December 2012, 04:18 PM
Hey guys I'm thinking about a DBS for the pooey and I seem to be hitting a bit of a snag,
the old girl is a tb42 duel fuel so the condenser is right in the spot for an underbonnet DBS.

I'm thinking about putting it in the back but I'm not sure how to go about it.

I have seen battery boxes and the like on ebay that come with isolators and stuff like that, but I wanted to see if anybody else has this kind of system (in car) and how they went about it so I can get some ideas or modify them for my own needs.
any help would be awesome.

oh and money is really tight so the cheaper the better for now.

Thanks guys and gals.

Drewboyaus
13th December 2012, 04:44 PM
The theory is the same as if it were under the bonnet.
Mount the isolator (redarc, piranha, etc) under the bonnet and wire to the main battery as per instructions.
Wire to the second battery in the boot as per instructons using appropriate gauge cable for the voltage drop.
Given you'll be mounting in the boot, prolly want to fuse both battery connections...particularly the link to the back.
Wire your accessories off the aux battery as you choose......
That's the short version! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

threedogs
13th December 2012, 04:51 PM
X 2 with above the Redarc is compact and should fit anywhere, Make sure you use a completly seal battery or you might find, you or the Troll falling off the perch

the evil twin
13th December 2012, 08:19 PM
Hiya Cobber,

Exact same truck as one I had for several years.

I put my 2nd battery behind the drivers side rear passenger seat. It sat beautifully in the well and was secured down with a strap in an after market (Supercrap) battery box.

Because of the back seat rake or the matching heights when the seat is folded it doesn't interfere with your load space very much.

The Redarc (or any VSR for that matter) should be as close as is reasonable to the cranker battery, not the Aux, so mine was attached to the drivers guard and the single positive cable run down and along the inside of the chassis rail.
If you lift the silver kick strip on the floor sill you will see an existing hole (well there was on my '94) that you can use to introduce that positive into the cabin and connect to the batttery via a resetteing C/B or Fusible link.
Because the Battery is in the cabin I reccomend you fuse it.
The earth can be connected to any decent Bolt in the vicinity

matty_3977
15th December 2012, 08:54 AM
Thanks guys,

Ripping advice i will definitely be giving it a red hot crack.

will keep posted on how i go

Drewboyaus
15th December 2012, 10:10 AM
Oh, and liberal use of split conduit to protect any wiring you're doing.
Takes an extra 10 minutes and can save a multitude of probs down the track, including a burnt out truck.
As with anything in this caper as I've discovered in the last couple of years, do it once and do it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk