PDA

View Full Version : GQ Auto trans cooler oil flow & mystery item

jetski657
11th December 2012, 08:35 AM
Gday,

Just picked up a 91 GQ TD42 auto and am fitting a new trans oil cooler. The original cooler inside the radiator core has been bypassed and an aftermarket cooler has been fitted at some stage. I am replacing this as the cooler is only rather small and the rubber hoses are as hard as stone.

I noticed that in one of the hoses going to the cooler there is a black plastic thing about the size of a stubbie holder with a hose fitting at either end. There is a flow direction arrow on it but im buggered if I know what it is? A backflow prevention valve maye? Didnt snap any photos sorry.

I have been through my manual but cannot find it anywhere, ditto with google.

In my rush i didnt note which direction the flow was before removing it, can someone shed some light on which is the in and out fitting on the trans?

Also, as my radiator trans cooler is bypassed, should I fit 2 oil coolers or do you think 1 would do the trick? The one I have is approx the length of a piece of A4 paper but a bit narrower.

I will be using the car to tow my boat which is approx 1 tonne. Im in tassie so ambient temps not to hot...

Cheers guy's
Jezz

threedogs
11th December 2012, 02:42 PM
I would only be guessing but would take the black stuuby thing as an inline filter of some desciption. Thinking one cooler heaps if you put heaps in front you may restrict air flow to the radiator and aircon, could also fit a 9" fan to it as well if temps get too high.