PDA

View Full Version : New Clutch time. Who's dunnit in their garage? TALLAROOK TOOK MY CLUTCH TOO!!!

mudski
10th December 2012, 08:03 AM
As some of you may have read. Tallarook took my clutch too. Had a ball yesty but on the way home it just didn't feel right and luckily 20mins from home it decided to start slipping. CLutch engaging right at the end of the travel and she revs her guts out in 3rd or 4th gear.
Got to a mate house, let it cool down, and its drivable now but she's on here last legs.
So. Thinking I will NOT go the dual mass setup,but a solid flywheel steup. 4 terrain seem the go and they are close by to by too so thats easy. I did the clutch in my old MK shorty years back and I remember what a PITA it was to do.
Any suggestions, tips etc etc. I have two garage jacks, 4 jack stands, tools and beer. Anything else? BTW I will be doing this at night after work as I need to work during the day...

Cheers.

boots
10th December 2012, 04:23 PM
I have a gearbox jack stand and dummy input shaft that you are more than welcome to lend mate . As for helping hand , its a mad house at work ATM so sorry about that . poor timing with end of year and all .

Bloodyaussie
10th December 2012, 04:34 PM
I have a gearbox jack stand and dummy input shaft that you are more than welcome to lend mate . As for helping hand , its a mad house at work ATM so sorry about that . poor timing with end of year and all .

Thats exactly what you said when I did mine.......he he!!!!!

Hey Mark also forgot to mention you need to lift your rig up high also... I used my spare set of 33's and that was still not high enough??

boots
10th December 2012, 04:45 PM
Thats exactly what you said when I did mine.......he he!!!!!

Hey Mark also forgot to mention you need to lift your rig up high also... I used my spare set of 33's and that was still not high enough??

And you believed me ... ha ha . cruel arent I . anyhoo shoosh you , mudski doesnt know me that well .

Bloodyaussie
10th December 2012, 06:14 PM
Spoke to Mark and he thinks he can get away without your trans trolley Chris??

I will drop over the Engine crane Tomorrow evening and my spare trolley jack to help out.

Mark is going to burning the candle at both ends and I will try and help where I can???????

He has opted for the Conversion... has anyone had experience with this ????

Sir Roofy
10th December 2012, 06:42 PM
spoke to mark and he thinks he can get away without your trans trolley chris??

I will drop over the engine crane tomorrow evening and my spare trolley jack to help out.

Mark is going to burning the candle at both ends and i will try and help where i can???????

He has opted for the conversion... Has anyone had experience with this ????

to what?????????????????????????/

threedogs
10th December 2012, 06:46 PM
I'm can,t help but happy to sit drink beer and point a few times LOL

mudski
10th December 2012, 06:56 PM
to what?????????????????????????/

Solid Flywheel roofy instead of the Dual Mas POS. The clutch in it has only done around 80k ago. Albeit new, they put back in the original kit and they are notorious for only lasting around the 80k.
As for lifting the car up high, I have four axle stands I'll use. I don't need to pull the gearbox right out from the car, only enough to remove the clutch and flywheel. Plus it will be a good buffer if the car decides to come of the stands.
Yes I will be burning the candle at both ends as I'm stil lknackered from yesty, I have to work during the day and will be sleeping under the troll at night with a spanner in my hand. I'm gonna get started tonight, very soon actually, preping the area, removing all the ancillaries, (big word for me!!!), getting ready for the remove and refit on Wednesday night. Wanted to do Tuesday night but my mate will be out. So I'll leave it a night. Ordered my kit from Clutch Industries, consists of Solid flywheel, clutch kit, spigot and thrust bearing and alignment tool. http://clutchindustries.com.au/range/4terrainclutch.html Decided to spend the extra on the 4terrain kit.
The wife will pickup the kit Wednesday. Now if anyone wants to help out, you are more than welcome, beer will be provided. Not VB though sorry. :)

mudski
10th December 2012, 06:57 PM
I'm can,t help but happy to sit drink beer and point a few times LOL

I heard about you and your drinking speed. More than welcome.

threedogs
10th December 2012, 07:05 PM
They are just stories from the old days when I was a professional. slowed down now a bit.

Sir Roofy
10th December 2012, 07:12 PM
they are just stories from the old days when i was a professional. Slowed down now a bit.

have,nt we all getting slower every week

mudski
10th December 2012, 07:22 PM

Hey where do you live mate? I might need the gearbox jack. I'm planning on using BA's crane and just drop it on the ground, change all bits over and pull it back up. But as we all know. Nothing ever goes to plan. So, BA. You may be getting some late night calls :) Either that or I will just think, feck it, and drink beer instead. Or drink beer aswell as the clutch.

choppie
11th December 2012, 01:30 AM
They are just stories from the old days when I was a professional. slowed down now a bit.

To skulling from what I hear LMFAO.

mudski
12th December 2012, 05:06 PM
So no-ones actually dunnit? While I have done an MK troll, 5 speed, SD33T, I am assuming its much the same. Think I might do the rear tail shaft uni's while its out too. They're a bit notchy. Problem with that it I don't think my vice is big enough to get them out. Might just put it back in and do it later...Its happening tonight ladies. I can't believe how bloody heavy the flywheel is too! That will be fun getting that on.
Anyhoo. I'm off to sweat my guts out.

Bloodyaussie
12th December 2012, 05:48 PM
Told you its bloody heavy work... not technically hard just bloody heavy and awkward.

Alitis007
12th December 2012, 06:11 PM
Last diesel 4b i did, i did at work was on the floor and i pulled the motor out it was faster IMO plus you need HEAPS of clearance to tilt the box in the tunnel to line it up when you refit the box in. I installed a clutch in a petrol 80 series and pulled the box out instead of the motor, you don't want to know what colorful vocabulary i was using.

So pull the motor out should b faster a d easier too!

mudski
12th December 2012, 11:08 PM
Well its out! I wouldn't want to be removing the motor to do this. Way too many things to disconnect there.
Tomorrow night is putting the new flywheel and clutch in and attempt to put the gearbox back in. I really hope I never need to do this again.

Alitis007
13th December 2012, 08:46 AM
Thats fair enough then, are you going to replace the rear main seal while the box is out??

mudski
13th December 2012, 05:13 PM
Thats fair enough then, are you going to replace the rear main seal while the box is out??

Nup it aint leaking. Don't fix it if it ain't broke. Knowing my luck, I replace the rear main and it will leak. Rear gearbox seal is just starting to weep. Apart from clutch dust, it's very clean in the bell housing. Rear uni's are notchy. Meh! Next time. I'm busting to give her a good clean after Sunday's sticky bog pit me and BA went through. I now have concrete on my front rotors...

threedogs
13th December 2012, 07:03 PM
When will you all learn no good can come from flogging through bog holes. I think this gearbox assy is out of a small truck from the nissan range in Europe. I'd be changing any seals etc while its out, Shite you must be sweating like ten men by now, bloody humid as

mudski
13th December 2012, 07:23 PM
Hehe, wasn't too bad last night. Many beers were had to keep us cool and we had a fan blowing air on us directly under the troll. So lying on the cool(ish) concrete with a beer in one hand, a spanner in the other and a fan on us wasn't too bad.
Now the joy begins. To reverse last nights episode, but keep the beer flowing.
Holy crap! Only six beers left in the Engel. Ah well .Anyhow I thought I'd just share of this little tool I pickup up from Supercheap.
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Rockwell-Impact-Wrench-12v.aspx?pid=287228&menuFrom=80208#Description
Absolutely amazing to get super tight nuts and bolts undone. No skinned knuckles yay! Does wheel nuts up bloody tight too...Something like 450nm by memory.

threedogs
13th December 2012, 07:45 PM
So What now we grade clutch replacements in cans drunk, GU clutch is a 36 can job
Those tools are great have an 18 volt job real easy changing wheels now Good find, Just
hope its not Supercrap

growler2058
13th December 2012, 08:00 PM
Got me something similar with a mag subscription bloody gold
Perfect for getting diff/gbox drain and filler plugs out also

Bloodyaussie
13th December 2012, 09:02 PM
Yeah I was a good boy when I did my clutch and only cracked a beer when I was nearing the end of a nights work... something about having 200kg above me while half pissed just did not add up but Mark puts beer on his cornflakes so he will be fine.

Rossco
13th December 2012, 09:27 PM
When will you all learn no good can come from flogging through bog holes. I think this gearbox assy is out of a small truck from the nissan range in Europe. I'd be changing any seals etc while its out, Shite you must be sweating like ten men by now, bloody humid as

Quite true, however it is often hard or impossible to resist.

If I were you MudSki I'd be sealing the clutch so it doese't get any crap in it again, especially seeing as it's brand spankers. Make sure the rubber boot on the shift fork is fully sealed at both ends with silicone and also silicone in the little drain plug at the bottom of the bell housing. This is to let out any oil that weeps past the seals so it's a good idea to periodically check this say every oil change then seal it up again.

mudski
14th December 2012, 08:01 AM
Well it was a horror night last night. We gave up at 1am. Just couldn't get the bugger to push that little bit more in. By the end I had no energy left as I was basically bench pressing the front of the gearbox to try and line it up while my mate was try to move it forward. So I just called in the big guns, Jonanthan, AKA BA, he's gonna give me a hand tonight. Also that Supercheap impact gun I bought, I would still be trying to undo the flywheel bolts If I didn't have this thing. It's got two years warranty as it's copping a good flogging now so if it die's, meh! Go get another...

Alitis007
14th December 2012, 09:59 AM
I'll give u a lil trade secret bud, select a gear before you go to fit the box and turn the crank shaft while your pushing the box in!! And thats why i said take the motor out its a lot safer and easier to line up the input shaft.

I dont know if you remember a couple of years ago a young apprentice in mill park lakes was doing a clutch on his car and the car fell on him?? So try not to rock the trol too much while your trying to install the box and most times gentle nudges get you further then brute force!!

threedogs
14th December 2012, 10:26 AM
Sounds like great advice 007 I'm sure if a troll fell off the ramps it would leave a mark., requiring a couple of bandaids

Alitis007
14th December 2012, 11:47 AM
Sounds like great advice 007 I'm sure if a troll fell off the ramps it would leave a mark., requiring a couple of bandaids

Don't forget the sticky tape!!

Bloodyaussie
14th December 2012, 12:07 PM
Its on the spare wheels so will not fall off!!!

mudski
14th December 2012, 02:04 PM
I'm almost tempted to cut out the section of floor which is stopping the gearbox from sliding in easy. Then just making up a plate and sealing it and screwing it back down. Quite frustrating it is but it will get there eventually...Got me buggered why this section of the floor isn't like this in the first place. As the car would be going by now if it was.

Bloodyaussie
14th December 2012, 03:57 PM
I'm almost tempted to cut out the section of floor which is stopping the gearbox from sliding in easy. Then just making up a plate and sealing it and screwing it back down. Quite frustrating it is but it will get there eventually...Got me buggered why this section of the floor isn't like this in the first place. As the car would be going by now if it was.

You would not be the first to do that.... it is more common than you think!!!

Dont do it though..

Alitis007
14th December 2012, 05:51 PM

Try lifting the front of the motor so the back angles down it might give u better clearance to slide it in and tighten the bolts aswell

Alitis007
14th December 2012, 05:52 PM
Its on the spare wheels so will not fall off!!!

Still BE CAREFUL !!!

Bloodyaussie
14th December 2012, 09:24 PM
I cant wait for him to post but it is in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was a joyous occasion with much hugging and farting???!!!!

mudski
14th December 2012, 10:54 PM
I cant wait for him to post but it is in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was a joyous occasion with much hugging and farting???!!!!

Yes it was joyous. Your farts weren't though... After the floor copped a beating and BA on his back with his legs spread pushing the box forward with his feet it just popped in. I think we spent more time drinking some beers, farting and talking crap than what it did to put the box in.

Sir Roofy
15th December 2012, 06:53 AM
RIGHTO NOW THAT ITS IN STAY OUT OF UNESESARY MUD HOLES UNLESS YOU HAVE A 6'' LIFT AND 33s NAH JUST STAY UOT OF THE BOG

boots
15th December 2012, 06:01 PM
BA on his back with his legs spread pushing the box forward with his feet it just popped in. What the ... . Takes me back to reading those erotic stories at the back of the people magazine . Stop this at once , its a family forum .

threedogs
15th December 2012, 06:08 PM
X 2 with Boots, image I had was just wrong, you're not supposed to see things like that at any age.
time to drop a med and chill for the evening , BA really, you tsk tsk.
So is it fair to say its up and running with only one bolt left over???

Bloodyaussie
15th December 2012, 06:09 PM
Chris you knob....... Mark is having a good one at the moment, he beat he daughter and broke her arm so I would come round and put the rest of his car back together!!!! he he !!!!

mudski
15th December 2012, 11:33 PM
Yes, my daughter decided to play Nitro Circus on her scooter today while I just lay down under the troll to finish off everything and next thing I hear her wailing like a screaming banshee. I run out and she's lying on the footpath with a grazed shoulder and a little chunk taken from her right hand. Then I realise she's screaming about her left arm. Anyhow, a trip to the Austin, she's broken her arm. They plaster her forearm up and we come home.
But, its all finished now apart from putting in the centre console and removing the spare wheels, used as jack stands, from underneath the rear wheels. I need to give it a good wash sometime tomorrow, inside and out.
A BIG thankyou to BA for lending me his crane and helping out last night...

mudski
16th December 2012, 09:35 PM
O.k took her out for a quick spin. I though with the heavy duty 4Terrain clutch it would have been heavier. Bloody hell its really light, and quiet too. I have to bash the floor back in though as where we pushed it in it has moved the foot rest too close to the clutch pedal. Plus I need to put the front sway bar back on as it drove like this :driving2:
Nosed dived into every corner...

boots
16th December 2012, 11:02 PM
Sorry to hear about your daughters broken arm Mark . If it aint one thing thing its another .Q- did you stick with the original dual mass flywheel ?

mudski
17th December 2012, 05:29 PM
Well it actually already had a solid flywheel in it. When i bought the car they said the clutch had been done at some time.