PDA

View Full Version : For sale......I think :)

Lambroast
7th December 2012, 12:45 PM
Hi all,

We've just added another little ratbag to the family, so are needing some more space. That means new vehicle.. :) Just bought a newy as the Missus mazda 3 is too small. Bit of a shame really as it's been an awesome little buzzbox.... Now in 'discussions' about which vehicle needs to go - 2004 mazda 3 or my 92 GQ Ti. Looks like it may be the patrol :( and I'll end up driving the mazda.. Thrill city...

So I'm trying to put a realistic value on it and would appreciate any comments you may have. Specs as follows:

Pro's:

1992 GQ Ti - Velour interior
Petrol/Gas 42TBE injected.
HID headlights
Mickey Thompson ATZ 285/70 16's on Ti original 3 spoke alloys. Tyres have done about 4k tops - Brand new !
Auto trans and torque converter rebuilt 3yrs ago, and serviced 1 month ago. Done about 10k since the rebuild.
Just ticked over 350k.
Larger Diesel alternator fitted.
Dual batteries.
Rear drawers with false floor.
Rear dickie seats in storage in the shed.
Spare CV/bearing kit - Not required, just got it from a bloke who sold his GQ.

Cons:

Drivers door trim giving me the shits. needs a little TLC. I've just replaced the window winder regulator and can't get the trim to stay on :( fat finger syndrome...
Passenger window not working. Fault is in the master window winder control box. I have spare motor and a complete master switch assy. It's slightly different to the one in situ, all it needs is the switch changing over.
Small dent in the drivers rear quarter panel right at the bottom. Happened when the previous tyre delaminated at highway speed. Probably not worth fixing.

Thats about it.

Any feedback is good feedback... Or if you're keen for a look (I live in Perth) drop me a PM :)

Cheers
Simon

threedogs
7th December 2012, 01:07 PM
My 2 cents worth is sell the Mazda 3 only as I think you"LL get more money than if you sold the Ti.
With the Ti you'll have a safe 4x4 to take the new one around in, who takes a Mazda 3, 4x4ing anyway way tooooooo looooow IMO
You'll still be able to 4x4 on the odd weekend, no brainer for me, you want some $$$$$$$ sell the Mazda 3

wildgu6
7th December 2012, 02:24 PM
No brained for me too, Mazda is too small, get rid of it. As for $$$$s life goes on.

Tappn the App Beers on Tap

Lonicus
7th December 2012, 02:51 PM
Definitely more money in the Mazda.

Just sing zoom, zoom, zoom while you're in the Patrol and have the best of both :)

Winnie
7th December 2012, 03:07 PM
I'd give you $40 for the GQ. Realistically that's all it's worth... That's what you tell the missus anyway!

DIAL-A-TAP

Lambroast
7th December 2012, 04:07 PM
Lol.. Turns out they're worth about the same..

Sir Roofy
7th December 2012, 04:14 PM
my 2 cents worth is sell the mazda 3 only as i think you"ll get more money than if you sold the ti.
With the ti you'll have a safe 4x4 to take the new one around in, who takes a mazda 3, 4x4ing anyway way tooooooo looooow imo
you'll still be able to 4x4 on the odd weekend, no brainer for me, you want some $$$$$$$ sell the mazda 3

im with threedogs mate sell the mazda you,l regret it later,more room goanywhere all round purpose
vehicle yea,sell the mazda

Lambroast
9th December 2012, 12:41 AM
Yeah looks like the Mazda is gettin the boot. Yay the patrol stays :) .... Missus isn't overly happy about that, buy hey, she's gonna be driving the new beast !

Anyone heard anything about these new Hyundai IX35's ? Tossing up between one of those in turbo diesel and a mazda CX5 petrol. Both really nice cars. Having mucho difficulty in deciding which one :(

Clunk
9th December 2012, 12:49 AM
replace the Mazda with a Mazda I say.......... never been keen on the Hyundais, build quality isnt crash hot and I've not seen an older one that doesnt have a nice blue smoke trail coming out of the exhaust

Lambroast
9th December 2012, 01:03 AM
I can't fault either vehicle for build quality. Five years ago I wouldn't have considered a Hyundai, but nowadays they seem to have come a long way. 5yr unlimited km warranty and 5 yrs roadside assist. 3yrs capped price servicing. Not too shabby. Drives really well. Goes like a cut snake !
Dammit.....

Clunk
9th December 2012, 02:18 AM
I must admit I havent taken a close look at the new breed, so am definitiley basing by previous comment on how they were and not how they maybe now................ value for money I guess is the key

Lonicus
9th December 2012, 06:48 AM
By all reports Hyundai have improved a lot over the last few years but I don't know that I'd put them on equal pegging with Mazda just yet.

If all else is equal between the two cars, consider resale value. Don't under estimate the value of the badge on the front of the car, a lot of people still won't even look at a Hyundai. No matter how good they might be now, they still carry the stigma of their cheap and cheerful heritage.

belzi82
10th December 2012, 08:01 AM
Our work vehicles are hyundais and they are great until u reach a hill

Lambroast
10th December 2012, 11:23 AM
Our work vehicles are hyundais and they are great until u reach a hill

Petrol or diesel mate? The diesels I drove had plenty of oomph..

Diesel-Mate
10th December 2012, 08:04 PM
Sell the Mazda as they are a cheaply made car and won't last, same goes to most new cars, very poorly made these days. I would go a Toyota Camry for a run about (1998 - 2005). They are good for over 500000kms and have a large supply of parts. For one in good condition with low kms you wouldn't need to spend over 8k. Don't fall for the 'brand new' car trap.

belzi82
11th December 2012, 07:12 PM
Petrol or diesel mate? The diesels I drove had plenty of oomph..

both!! Most are petrol, a few diesel.

Lambroast
12th December 2012, 02:05 PM
both!! Most are petrol, a few diesel.

So you think the Diesel is gutless ? Not sure I agree with you there mate ! I thought it had plenty of zoom ! Definitely more so than the petty mazda...
Didn't bother test driving the petrol IX35 for that reason.

Alitis007
12th December 2012, 06:56 PM
I wouldn't go near a hyundai!! I was speaking to a tow truck driver and i asked him what car is the least towed and his reply was Mazda 2, 3 and 6 or any of there new fleet apart from the Rx8. The CX 7 is thirsty but runs the same 2.4ltr turbo as the MPS3 but with 20kw less, the CX5 are apparently not bad but if i was looking at a small soft roader and brand new i would be going straight to Nissan and buying an X- Trail Ti for around the 40k mark.

healy
13th December 2012, 11:44 AM
Hyundai and Kia are the two good places to throw your money away don't touch them at all and that's what I've been told by multiple mechanics old models and new are rubbish

GreenGQ
16th December 2012, 11:34 PM
Buy the ix35 in diesel, don't worry about the naysayers on here who's brothers mate knows a guy who went out with a girl who's dad had a Hyundai that broke down so they must be all crap, if that was the case patrols would be crap too, all cars have problems, but Hyundai have come a helluva long way in recent years, I wouldn't hesitate if its what I wanted, and really, who buys a car for resale value, you buy it to enjoy it, if everyone worried about resale value there would be no new car market.

Clunk
17th December 2012, 12:00 AM
Buy the ix35 in diesel, don't worry about the naysayers on here who's brothers mate knows a guy who went out with a girl who's dad had a Hyundai that broke down so they must be all crap, if that was the case patrols would be crap too, all cars have problems, but Hyundai have come a helluva long way in recent years, I wouldn't hesitate idiots what I wanted, and really, who buys a car for resale value, you buy it to enjoy it, if everyone worried about resale value there would be no new car market.

I'm guessing you have one then?

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

GreenGQ
17th December 2012, 12:24 AM
I'm guessing you have one then?

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

Nope, I don't have one, I have the GQ and a Fairlane.
My point is that Hyundais and Kias are the Mazda Toyota and Nissan of years gone by, if we all stuck to 'what we know' we'd all still be driving a Ford or Holden.
5 years or so ago I would never have even thought of buying a Korean made car, but as I said, they've come a long way and if I were I the market for a smallish car I'd be looking at the Koreans :)

Clunk
17th December 2012, 01:48 AM
Nope, I don't have one, I have the GQ and a Fairlane.
My point is that Hyundais and Kias are the Mazda Toyota and Nissan of years gone by, if we all stuck to 'what we know' we'd all still be driving a Ford or Holden.
5 years or so ago I would never have even thought of buying a Korean made car, but as I said, they've come a long way and if I were I the market for a smallish car I'd be looking at the Koreans :)

I'll look at them but won't buy them.......... not until they start holding their value better

Lambroast
17th December 2012, 10:48 AM
I'll look at them but won't buy them.......... not until they start holding their value better

Resale value ? On a new car ? It's not like these things are collectors item so I'm really not taking that into consideration much :)
Looking at the resale of the Mazda 3, at 8 years old I will be lucky to get 8k for it. Not bad considering it cost near 30k when new Lol....

Still a difficult decision to make.

Mazda - Good reputation. Had a brilliant run with the current one. Looking at a midspec petrol model for about the same $ as top spec Diesel Hyundai. Costly services. No capping.

Hyundai - Getting a decent reputation. Many of this model around already, it's 3yrs into its model life. Spoken to a few random owners at servo's etc, all seem happy with the car. Capped service costs for 3 yrs, 5r unlimited km warranty...

Missus is leaning towards the Hyundai, and I guess that matters as she will be driving it mostly.... I'm just trying to come to terms with coughing up the $$. Could spend half the $ on a 2-3 yr old car and still do the same job :) But she don't see it that way.... :(

Decisions decisions.........

Alitis007
17th December 2012, 10:53 AM
Buy the ix35 in diesel, don't worry about the naysayers on here who's brothers mate knows a guy who went out with a girl who's dad had a Hyundai that broke down so they must be all crap, if that was the case patrols would be crap too, all cars have problems, but Hyundai have come a helluva long way in recent years, I wouldn't hesitate if its what I wanted, and really, who buys a car for resale value, you buy it to enjoy it, if everyone worried about resale value there would be no new car market.

You must be in the automotive repair business yeh?? I have worked on many of these cars and others and the short story of things, australia has the harshest climate in the world IMO because we can go from 30 degrees to 15 in the same day and cars that are not made by engineers that understand this cant handle it here an break down and wear a lot faster and prematurely. Personally i will only buy cars that are made in japan of from aus anything else isn't worth it!

Alitis007
17th December 2012, 10:59 AM
Resale value ? On a new car ? It's not like these things are collectors item so I'm really not taking that into consideration much :)
Looking at the resale of the Mazda 3, at 8 years old I will be lucky to get 8k for it. Not bad considering it cost near 30k when new Lol....

Still a difficult decision to make.

Mazda - Good reputation. Had a brilliant run with the current one. Looking at a midspec petrol model for about the same $ as top spec Diesel Hyundai. Costly services. No capping.

Hyundai - Getting a decent reputation. Many of this model around already, it's 3yrs into its model life. Spoken to a few random owners at servo's etc, all seem happy with the car. Capped service costs for 3 yrs, 5r unlimited km warranty...

Missus is leaning towards the Hyundai, and I guess that matters as she will be driving it mostly.... I'm just trying to come to terms with coughing up the $$. Could spend half the $ on a 2-3 yr old car and still do the same job :) But she don't see it that way.... :(

Decisions decisions.........

If their SUV's are anything like a iLoad 20,000km blown engine for no apparent reason serviced and maintained as recommended and with a indicator problem that not even Hyundai can find because they don't have flasher cans i would steer clear of them, but each to their own as long as your happy with your decision then the rest is bulldust and doesn't matter.

nickpeacock36
17th December 2012, 12:38 PM
I had a little i30 hire car while i was working in Perth. I thought it was a great little car (cruise and a great sound system)and pulled fine up all the hills i pointed it at. I would defo (if we were in the market) have a look at the Hyundai range

belzi82
17th December 2012, 10:57 PM
Colleagues said the diesel's were great for about the first 10,000 and then become sluggish

lorrieandjas
18th December 2012, 12:00 AM
Hmmm - this is gone past the Holden/Ford or Toymota/Nissan debate. If anyone was reading this forum in line for a new fourbie then there wouldn't be a 3.0L Di diesel sold from 2003 to 2007! You get what you pay for (generally) but the Hyundai's have come a long way. As has Daihatsu's, Mitsumbishis. Think of Ssang Yong and others. I think for every poor experience there is a great one! Yeah - there are inherent issues in a lot of cars - think Ford AU1 series Falcons and mid 90's Jags - but for the money, what you want it for, and what you are happy with is the key. Good to listen to advice but sometimes the "urban legend" is all too prevalent!

But now all that said - just by another Patrol (as long as it's not a 3.0L turbe diesel DI circa 2003 - just jokes!)

Jas

Clunk
18th December 2012, 12:37 AM
Buy a bitsamissin delica, plenty of room for growth then lol

Alitis007
18th December 2012, 03:02 PM
Buy a bitsamissin delica, plenty of room for growth then lol

Hahaha, even worse!!

KL570
18th December 2012, 04:15 PM
last I checked... neither could get lockers...

buy another gq!!

Lambroast
20th December 2012, 12:26 PM
last I checked... neither could get lockers...

buy another gq!!

IX35 has a locker.. :) probably not quite in the
Same league as a 'Lokka' !

Anywayz.. Decision made. Going with the IX35.

Thanks for all your input:)

If anyone's interested in an '04 Mazda 3 gimme a shout! :):);)

Simon..

KL570
20th December 2012, 12:37 PM
I'll give you 60 bucks and a slab of dirty thirty vb

Lambroast
20th December 2012, 01:50 PM
I'll give you 60 bucks and a slab of dirty thirty vb

Lol! Tell im he's dreamin...

CPOCSM
26th January 2014, 10:37 AM
IX35 has a locker.. :) probably not quite in the
Same league as a 'Lokka' !

Anywayz.. Decision made. Going with the IX35.

Thanks for all your input:)

If anyone's interested in an '04 Mazda 3 gimme a shout! :):);)

Simon..

Glad you saw reason lambroast. I own a highlander in diesel turbo and has more torque than the current patrol. Granted it is a soft roader but has plenty of room, good on fuel, will tackle a beach no problems and is infinitely more comfortable. The current 3.0 ST has 118kw and 380nm torque compared to the Hyundai 2.0 135kw and 395nm. And all wheel drive with all the bells and whistles. The only thing that needed fixing was the brake switch which was a recall from Hyundai and the seal in the moon roof, again a Hyundai fix. Resale isn't as good as the nissan but honestly you are saving in fuel and consumables due to it being one litre less in capacity but only has a 60 litre tank so long treks need a jerry or 2.

Now the wife's car as I am going retro with a 1993 gq TI. I have been banished from driving the Hyundai as the wife loves it after initially poo pooing it. Done Frazer island three times and driven all over outback qld with nothing more than a flat tyre in mt isa. Servicing is nothing expensive and always know what I am up for when it hits the shop for servicing. The knockers obviously haven't driven one and hills are not an issue with the auto box.

Enjoy it and will be upgrading to the Santa Fe next year.

Lambroast
26th February 2014, 12:06 AM
1 year down. First service done in Jan. Almost 18k on the clock and not a single problem :)
Went with the highlander as well. 2l turbo diesel leaves my GQ for dust...
No plans to take it off road-got a patrol for that :)

No regrets at all :)