PDA

View Full Version : what is my 1992 GQ?

boggy2006
20th November 2010, 10:00 PM
hi,

well, it was advertised as an ST, but I'm not so sure. It doesn't have a locking rear diff and only has cloth seats. Everything is electric though and it has the detachable sway bars. Could it still be an ST and how could I find out? There is a model number on the chassis plate, could this be decoded to work it out?

Thanks

Bigrig
20th November 2010, 10:41 PM
Hey mate - search on the VIN number breakdown on the forum - it's in here and will give you a good start on what you are looking for based on the letters. To be honest, I didn't know the ST had a locker and thought it did have cloth seats - the Ti has the lockers and leather all round ... happy to be wrong, but I have a Ti (92) and don't have the lockers - I think they started by default in 93 - others on the forum will know more though. Godd luck.

boggy2006
20th November 2010, 11:27 PM
oops, got myself confused already, it was advetised as a Ti, not the ST. Will see if I can search the VIN, thanks.

YNOT
20th November 2010, 11:32 PM
TI should have leathers seats, gear knob and steering wheel, chrome mirrors and rear bumpers. Most TI's had factory rear locker but it could have been removed.

Tony

NissanGQ4.2
21st November 2010, 02:01 PM
TI should have leathers seats, gear knob and steering wheel, chrome mirrors and rear bumpers. Most TI's had factory rear locker but it could have been removed.

Tony

I wish my TI came with the factory locker :(, no chrome mirrors on this TI :)

Bigrig
21st November 2010, 09:47 PM
I wish my TI came with the factory locker :(, no chrome mirrors on this TI :)

Me neither old mate ... :(

Bigrig
21st November 2010, 09:48 PM
Have to say, I'm actually OK at not having chrome mirrors though ...

XLR8
21st November 2010, 10:51 PM
Prior to the late 92/early 93 introduction of the Series II, there were no RX, ST or Ti codings but people commonly refer to these codings to describe earlier spec levels. The early top of range models had velour trim rather than std cloth, with electric windows and chrome 1/4 mirrors (pretty sure leather was not available until the Series II models). The ST equivilent had winding windows cloth trim and 1/4 mirrors in black. The povo pack had cloth trim, door mounted mirrors. From what I have seen, prior to 93, swaybar disconnect and factory difflock were options available on all models so what is available now is what was specified by the original purchaser. I could be wrong, but to my knowledge, the only fully optioned models built in Australia prior to the ST/Ti codings was the high roof models

Happy to be corrected if this info is wrong

JimboGQ
25th November 2010, 09:07 PM
Just out of curiousity did the lower level trols come out with 2 tone paint jobs or was it the higher spec only?

boggy2006
25th November 2010, 09:33 PM
not sure, my ST or TI (whichever it is) has a 2 tone paint job.

NIZZBITS
26th November 2010, 05:13 PM
I am not 100% sure it will work on an early GQ but if you shoot me a PM (or E-mail) with your VIN and or that model type I might be able to check further for you. I cna try once I get your info and see if it works.

Lambroast
1st January 2011, 10:12 PM
Hi all,

My 92 GQ is a Ti. I have velour seats and a stabilizer bar disconnect handle to the left of the steering wheel. Not sure about lockers tho. Can't recall anything relating to them.
Hope this helps.

Simon

Macgyver
10th January 2011, 10:55 PM
i've got the same confusion, velour interior (including roof lining) and full electrics.

the evil twin
11th January 2011, 12:08 AM
Welcome to the joys of GQ model discrepancies and variations especially around 92 to 95 when equipment levels and "models" came and went...DX, RX, ST, TI
Supposedly the TI was Leather Interior standard but there are heaps of TI badged vehicles with cloth
Supposedly the TI had the 3 spoke mags but again there were ST's with them
Supposedly the TI had the Nissan CD player and the lower models only had the Cassette Deck
Supposedly the TI had the sway bar disconnects but I know many of the ST's had them as well
Factory Lockers I have only seen on TI but were they standard or option so maybe no Lockers may not mean it isn't a TI and also that just means I may not have encountered an ST with them
The ST's and TI's all had electric windows and mirrors, the RX mirrors only and the DX missed out

Other than if it has Leather it is def a TI I gave up trying to suss out the rest ages ago...

YNOT
11th January 2011, 12:15 AM
RX didn't get electric windows.

Tony

the evil twin
11th January 2011, 12:34 AM
RX didn't get electric windows.

Tony

Ooops you are dead right... my bad

Should read The ST's and TI's all had electric windows and mirrors, the RX mirrors only and the DX missed out

MudRunnerTD
11th January 2011, 12:40 AM
My GQ is 1992 FORD MAVERICK in a previous life. If i call it a Nissan my insurance and the red book reckons its worth more??? Go figure?

The MAV came with electric windows but no electric mirrors, it came with door mounted manual mirrors. No Sway bar disconnect.

Carpet and Velour trim.

After market (Ford Fitted) Aircon.

And the mighty Nissan TD42

Nothing a full set of Nissan badges and a paint job didn't fix :eck05:

:bananarock:

boggy2006
11th January 2011, 08:41 AM
ah, that plot thickens!

Mine's got velour seats (not cloth), but a vinyl headlining. Electric mirrors, but not chrome. Sway bar disconnect and LSD, but not a locker. Electric windows all round.

stets
11th January 2011, 06:17 PM
mine is an 89 gq

cloth seats, had carpet. black mirrors, electric arial, windy windows, sway bar disconnect and rear locker.