PDA

View Full Version : Stopping water getting through snorkel

AB
7th December 2012, 10:52 AM
I'm getting a lot of water coming through the top of the 4" snorkel if the car is parked downhill in the rain.

Looking for any ideas on how to stop this?

I'm happy to go buy a proper pre filter device but not sure on what way to go...

I don't like these...
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/12/10.jpg

I like the look of the cone pre filter but I don't want to restrict air either?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/honda2nr4life/snorkle/IMG_0027.jpg

I really just need to make something to stop water coming in.

One idea is to take the rubber elbow at the end off and put on a custom made outer pipe so air sucks from underneath....Not sure of issues with this????

A simple idea would just to make up a little shelter at the end of the elbow to stop water coming in...

Id rather just buy something thats properly made to suit a 4" pipe....LMAO....Either coming out on 45 following the A pillar at the end of the stainless pipe or something small to run horizontal after the end of the elbow.

Any ideas and suggestions?

taslucas
7th December 2012, 11:41 AM
Dammit Andy, I questioned if rain would get in to that type of set up when I started making mine and was assured that it wouldn't...... BY YOU!!
An idea I thought of would be to cut the end of the elbow at an angle so it ended up having a veranda. Hard to explain, I'll try to put up a pic soon

Tap, crackle, pop

AB
7th December 2012, 11:45 AM
Ive never had water in it until I parked it on a severe down hill for 10 minutes and now im paranoid...lol

Something like this would work but not as ugly....smaller little set up more cylindrical would look ok.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/12/11.jpg

AB
7th December 2012, 11:47 AM
Dammit Andy, I questioned if rain would get in to that type of set up when I started making mine and was assured that it wouldn't...... BY YOU!!
An idea I thought of would be to cut the end of the elbow at an angle so it ended up having a veranda. Hard to explain, I'll try to put up a pic soon

Tap, crackle, pop

I know exactly what you mean, I was going to build a veranda but cutting the rubber would be easier....

taslucas
7th December 2012, 11:59 AM
Yeah I thought to myself, it rains good here and I couldn't see how rain wouldn't get in. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/12/12.jpg

Tap, crackle, pop

taslucas
7th December 2012, 12:00 PM
Maybe that would be enough? It would certainly help

Tap, crackle, pop

AB
7th December 2012, 12:57 PM
Good idea mate, my only concern by cutting the rubber on angle would be how close the cut is to the bottom of the rubber.

If cut close to where the elbow bends then you have a down hill angle straight away asking for water to come down thats all.

I dont have much horizontal rubber length on the elbow of mine.

rkinsey
7th December 2012, 12:57 PM
What if you used a 90 - 130 deg elbow on the end of the pipe so that the opening would be more or less pointing down at the roof? No need to cut anything then.

Cheers,

Rob

AB
7th December 2012, 12:59 PM
Can you get 130's?.....That would be better too, so the opening is facing downwards more.

taslucas
7th December 2012, 01:01 PM
Mine would hit the roof with a 90 or more bend. And the stainless is already cut so I can't lengthen that.

Tap, crackle, pop

taslucas
7th December 2012, 01:03 PM
Good idea mate, my only concern by cutting the rubber on angle would be how close the cut is to the bottom of the rubber.

If cut close to where the elbow bends then you have a down hill angle straight away asking for water to come down thats all.

I dont have much horizontal rubber length on the elbow of mine.

But at the same time it removes the piece that catches the rain..... Rain falls, lands on the inside bottom section of the elbow then it's channeled into the snorkel

Tap, crackle, pop

AB
7th December 2012, 01:05 PM
I'm getting my degrees mixed up...lol

Below is the 45....So a 90 would proobably work good as it will be arcing downwards. Mine will be close but probably enough room I think.

Might go for a drive and pick one up and try it out!!!

taslucas
7th December 2012, 01:06 PM
It's the same principle as the forward facing store brought one's. If they didn't have an angle on them then they would catch a heap more water

Tap, crackle, pop

taslucas
7th December 2012, 01:07 PM
Looks like your 45 is sitting on the roof. A 90 would probably be pushing against the roof

Tap, crackle, pop

rkinsey
7th December 2012, 01:07 PM
Can you get 130's?.....That would be better too, so the opening is facing downwards more.

I dint know AB. I thought you got these from a truck parts store in Melbourne? Maybe they might have them?

AB
7th December 2012, 01:08 PM
Wish my car was here....LMAO

rkinsey
7th December 2012, 01:17 PM
If you were to cut the existing piece of elbow, dont cut it on the angle.

Looking at a side on profile, start a horisontal cut say 2cm from the top of the pipe elbow and in paralell with teh top of the pip[e elbow and cut about 3 cms and then turn the cut 90 deg and cut down until you come to about 1 cm in front of the joint at the bottom of the pipe.

Somthing like that might work?

taslucas
7th December 2012, 01:19 PM
Yeah that would probably work

Tap, crackle, pop

AB
7th December 2012, 02:04 PM
Just got back from the truck parts shop. 90 degree bend would work perfectly but I'll check tonight with how close it will be to the gutter.

rkinsey
7th December 2012, 02:24 PM
AB. Can you PM me the name of the truck parts store please? I am going to make my own snorkel next year but cant find anyone in Sydney that sells these items.

Cheers,

Rob

AB
7th December 2012, 02:34 PM
Here you go mate...

http://www.whitepages.com.au/business-listing/truck-bits-aust-pty-ltd-1152708/kilsyth-south-vic

rkinsey
7th December 2012, 03:29 PM
Cheers AB. Thanks for that

Sir Roofy
7th December 2012, 03:41 PM
Well well well what did i say last year on this subject ???

AB
7th December 2012, 03:44 PM
Well well well what did i say last year on this subject ???

Your living in the past Roofy, It's time to move on...LMAO....yeah yeah yeah....lol

Sir Roofy
7th December 2012, 04:03 PM
your living in the past roofy, it's time to move on...lmao....yeah yeah yeah....lol

im learning andy but i dont get water in my engine either lmao