PDA

View Full Version : RLI's Cape York travelling Wilburys tour August 2013!

PMC
6th December 2012, 10:53 PM
G'day Trendsetters!

I am planning to head back to Cape York in August 2013. My family and friends and I had a ball on our last trip June/July 2011. This was my third trip and first with my family.

August 2013 is an open invitation to any of the forum members and their families to tag-a-long! If any of you are interested keep me informed!!!!!!

Over the days,weeks and months to come, i will post up various ideas, opinions, options and various travel plans. Keep tuned!

PS, travel clock in now ticking 8 months and counting!!!!! Yehaa baby!

Regards,

RLI
:sterb003:

nissannewby
6th December 2012, 11:15 PM
Im up for this, certainly keen for my first cape trip :). You can just meet me on the way through and I will continue on with whoever is in the convoy by then. Pencil it in.

wildgu6
7th December 2012, 04:56 AM
What a bloody life you guys have, envious comes to mind.
Sounds great but unfortunately it's a no for me,
Enjoy

Tappn the App Beers on Tap

Astro
7th December 2012, 08:08 AM
I loved my trip there in 2010, looking forward to going again with some family and friends, BUT
it's a shame about how much rubbish is left lying around the place

GU CAMPER
7th December 2012, 08:23 AM
I have been thinking about making a trip up to the cape next year, only done it on my motorbike before and loved every minute of it

Will definitely be watching this thread closely, I am very keen to get up there

Cheers Andy

threedogs
7th December 2012, 08:31 AM
Went in '83 a bit more"rustic" then , but if all goes to plan hope to be up the tip again late Aug early Sept 2013
What an awesome place

lorrieandjas
7th December 2012, 08:43 AM
Hey RLI. I was planning a trip up in the next 18 months so could be in. In fact most likely to be there. Interested in routes because I've got twin babies who'll be about 10 months old then. Depending on how hard-core you're going will play a part. That said already taken them on some medium level tracks and had no issues. I'll be pulling a new camper then too!

Jas

PMC
7th December 2012, 10:32 PM
Im up for this, certainly keen for my first cape trip :). You can just meet me on the way through and I will continue on with whoever is in the convoy by then. Pencil it in.

G'day mate,

You are a worry! 200 killer wasp weapon on the tele track! Ye-Haa baby go for it!

I will had you name to my mates from the Navara Asia forum! This trip has been in the making for the last 12 months! The following is the list of friends from the Navara Asia Forum! A few of the Lads also have Patrols! Case84 is taking his chev diesel GU Patrol!

2013 Cape York Traveling Wilburys tour!!!!!!!!!!!
Possible tour list:

1. Paul (RLI) & family DEFINITE!
2. Bryan (04silverSTR) DEFINITE!
3. Bryce DEFINITE!
4. Gunning1987: DEFINITE!
5. Sparra (sparra04) DEFINITE!
6. Luke (luke91) DEFINITE!
7. Scott (scottybobcat) (Possible)
8. Nathan (lunn86) (Possible)
9. Case84 DEFINITE!
10. Joshman (Possible)
11. Zanick (Possible)
12. Gonzo (Possible)
13. Jason D40 (Possible)
14. Fatboy89 (Fatts) (Possible)

Trendsetters, looks like we have got our self's a convoy, Ye-haa baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS, 8 months and counting!

Regards,

RLI

PMC
7th December 2012, 10:35 PM
Enjoy

G'day mate!

After having a life threatening health scare, i am trying to cram a lot into my life from now on!

PS, I will send you a photo with a beer in my hand to salute you from the tip!

Regards,

RLI

PMC
7th December 2012, 10:39 PM
I loved my trip there in 2010, looking forward to going again with some family and friends, BUT
it's a shame about how much rubbish is left lying around the place

G'day Astro,

You are so right mate! We witnessed the same thing on our 2011 trip! I can see why they will restrict the number of people travelling the Telegraph Track in the future due to laziness and stupidity of certain dick-brains out there!

Regards,

RLI

PMC
7th December 2012, 10:40 PM
I have been thinking about making a trip up to the cape next year, only done it on my motorbike before and loved every minute of it

Will definitely be watching this thread closely, I am very keen to get up there

Cheers Andy

G'evening Andy!

Hope you make it to our convoy!

Regards,

RLI

PMC
7th December 2012, 10:42 PM
Went in '83 a bit more"rustic" then , but if all goes to plan hope to be up the tip again late Aug early Sept 2013
What an awesome place

G'evening threedogs!

Hope to share a beer with you somewhere up on the Cape next year!

Regards,

RLI

PMC
7th December 2012, 10:51 PM
Hey RLI. I was planning a trip up in the next 18 months so could be in. In fact most likely to be there. Interested in routes because I've got twin babies who'll be about 10 months old then. Depending on how hard-core you're going will play a part. That said already taken them on some medium level tracks and had no issues. I'll be pulling a new camper then too!

Jas

G''evening Jas!

Mate, the Telegraph track is easy! You do not have to hard core to complete her. I did it with a D40 Navara with a 50mm suspension with 265x 16 tyres whilst towing a Jayco off-road camper!

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u434/RLI1/Cape%20York/IMG_0516.jpg

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u434/RLI1/Cape%20York/IMG_0355.jpg

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u434/RLI1/Cape%20York/IMG_0414.jpg

It is about having a safe fun adventure! I am not into breaking my vehicle or camper trailer. I am taking my young 10 year daughter and my father with me next year. Some of the other folks have also young children.

Looking forward to you being part of the adventure!

Regards,

RLI

lorrieandjas
8th December 2012, 12:06 AM
Hi RLI. Spoke to the missus and we're a definite. I'll be towing a Johnnos camper so add me to the list. Can't wait!

Jas

lorrieandjas
8th December 2012, 12:09 AM
Did I say I can't wait! Something I've always wanted to do so another tick on the bucket list! I'm on the Nav forum too (Jase) but haven't been there for a while since I traded the D22 for the Patrol.

Jas

jack
8th December 2012, 12:14 AM
Hi RLI,

If everything works out I'll be up there in Jul/Aug 2013, a bit earlier than your convoy. Also towing a Jayco off-road camper. Getting longer in the tooth so for me it's going to be safety first if I want to stay married (and I do). Good to hear you had no issues with towing the camper, interested to know did you take it all the way to the top or leave it in secure storage along the way? I've heard some conflicting reports about how suitable the track is for campers.

Cheers

PMC
8th December 2012, 09:12 AM
Hi RLI. Spoke to the missus and we're a definite. I'll be towing a Johnnos camper so add me to the list. Can't wait!

Jas

G'day Jas,

I will add you to the list!

PS, I will be submitting a Draft travel Itinerary for everyone to peruse over in the next couple of days!

Regards,

Paul (RLI)

PMC
8th December 2012, 09:16 AM
Did I say I can't wait! Something I've always wanted to do so another tick on the bucket list! I'm on the Nav forum too (Jase) but haven't been there for a while since I traded the D22 for the Patrol.

Jas

G'day Jas!

You will probably recognise a few of the names on the list!

Regards,

RLI

PMC
8th December 2012, 09:28 AM
Hi RLI,

If everything works out I'll be up there in Jul/Aug 2013, a bit earlier than your convoy. Also towing a Jayco off-road camper. Getting longer in the tooth so for me it's going to be safety first if I want to stay married (and I do). Good to hear you had no issues with towing the camper, interested to know did you take it all the way to the top or leave it in secure storage along the way? I've heard some conflicting reports about how suitable the track is for campers.

Cheers

G''day mate!

In the previous response to Jas, the 3 photos are of travelling on the Developmental Road and the Telegraph Track. I drove the Jayco all the way to the top and back via the Gulf Country!

This photo is taken on the Bloomfield track
http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u434/RLI1/Cape%20York/IMG_0567.jpg

At Bramwell Junction just before we started the Telegraph Track!

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u434/RLI1/Cape%20York/IMG_0555.jpg

A tele track creek crossing!

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u434/RLI1/Cape%20York/IMG_0417.jpg

Waiting at the Jardine River crossing for the ferry!

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u434/RLI1/Cape%20York/IMG_0528.jpg

The famous life time photo at the Tip!

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u434/RLI1/Cape%20York/IMG_0484.jpg

Trendsetters, looks like we have got our self's a convoy, Ye-haa baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,

RLI

nissannewby
8th December 2012, 10:44 AM
G'day mate,

You are a worry! 200 killer wasp weapon on the tele track! Ye-Haa baby go for it!

Regards,

RLI

It will be awesome :). Ill be the tec (tail end charlie) and help anyone out and possibly give them a nudge with the 200 killer wasps lol. All in all I think this will be a great trip I cant wait.

nissannewby
8th December 2012, 10:46 AM
Oh and love the pics.

PMC
8th December 2012, 08:14 PM
G'evening Trendsetters!

I am taking from the 1st August to 30th August 2013, to travel up to the Cape and back home to Coffs Harbour.

I will be looking at meeting with everyone at Port Douglas on 3rd August 2013. That allows folks travelling from Victoria and New South Wales to travel safely to Cairns.

Allow between 12 to 14 days to tour up to the Cape and back to Cairns. Allow another 3 to 4 days getting home from Cairns. Obviously, Queenslander's will need less travel time. Allow yourself minimum 22 days, perfect would be 28 days for the trip. Remember it is a once in a life time opportunity and it is about the fun, adventure, memorable moments all done is a safe and secure manner!

PS, I will be submitting a draft travel Itinerary for everyone to peruse over in the next couple of days! The itinerary can be used as a guide to suit your own personal requirements.

Regards,

RLI

PMC
8th December 2012, 08:21 PM
It will be awesome :). Ill be the tec (tail end charlie) and help anyone out and possibly give them a nudge with the 200 killer wasps lol. All in all I think this will be a great trip I cant wait.

G'day mate!

Ye-haa, bring it on baby!

Regards,

RLI

lorrieandjas
8th December 2012, 08:37 PM
G'evening Trendsetters!

I am taking from the 1st August to 30th August 2013, to travel up to the Cape and back home to Coffs Harbour.

I will be looking at meeting with everyone at Port Douglas on 3rd August 2013. That allows folks travelling from Victoria and New South Wales to travel safely to Cairns.

Allow between 12 to 14 days to tour up to the Cape and back to Cairns. Allow another 3 to 4 days getting home from Cairns. Obviously, Queenslander's will need less travel time. Allow yourself minimum 22 days, perfect would be 28 days for the trip. Remember it is a once in a life time opportunity and it is about the fun, adventure, memorable moments all done is a safe and secure manner!

PS, I will be submitting a draft travel Itinerary for everyone to peruse over in the next couple of days! The itinerary can be used as a guide to suit your own personal requirements.

Regards,

RLI

Mate. Perfect timing. My birthdays the 12th August - have I said can't wait!!?? Thanks for organising this trip.

Jas

PMC
8th December 2012, 09:16 PM
Mate. Perfect timing. My birthdays the 12th August - have I said can't wait!!?? Thanks for organising this trip.

Jas

G'evening Jas,

Now we have something special to celebrate at the tip!

Regards,

RLI

lorrieandjas
8th December 2012, 10:07 PM
Sure do! Loren (my partner) is over the moon about this trip too. Already starting the lists! We're in Brisbane so happy to convoy up with you on your way up from Coffs. We're in for a month and soooo looking forward to it. Are we there yet?! Can't wait to see the itinerary.

Jas

nissannewby
9th December 2012, 02:40 PM
Hey Jas maybe yourself and I could meet the convoy in the same spot?

PMC
9th December 2012, 04:55 PM
DRAFT PROPOSAL

Day 1 Date: 3rd August Time: Anytime.

Rendezvous location for everyone: BIG4 Port Douglas Glengarry Holiday Park, this is located only 6km on the south side of Port Douglas on the left hand side. Cost; unpowered site $34.00, powered site: $44.00. Note, this is peak season time up North! We can do all our supplies shopping at the local Coles supermarket in Port Douglas and the various other retail outlets. This is the last stop for discounted Beer & wine and soft drinks for the children. We can have slap up B/Q at the Camp kitchen area whilst the children play in the pool area. Time-out to conduct our last vehicle tweaks before we depart the next morning.

Day 2 Departure time: 8.00am

Port Douglas to Lion’s Den Hotel’ via Bloomfield Track;

We head from Port Douglas to Daintree River crossing taking in the Daintree National Park, stopping at the various look-out locations for photos. Lunch at the Thornton beach-side café. We then travel to Cape Tribulation for that famous snap of the rainforest to the sea shot. Then we head via the Bloomfield track to the Lion’s Den Hotel, visiting Wujal Wujal to see the famous Bloomfield falls. I will ring the Wujal Wujal Aboriginal Community Centre on (07) 4060-8155 for permission to visit the falls. After viewing the falls we then head from Wujal Wujal to Lion’s Den Hotel for overnight stop a few coldies at the bar followed by a good bullshit session.

Day 3 Departure time: 9.00am

Lion’s Den Hotel to Musgrove Roadhouse via Battlecamp Rd; taking in the Lakefield National Park, swimming stops at both Endeavour Falls and Isabella Falls, lunch at Old Laura home stead. Travel to Pandanus Park and do some fishing on the banks of the Normandy River. (Please remember to be Croc wise all the time Trendsetters) from there we will head to Musgrove Roadhouse and set-up camp. A good feed followed by several driving stress relive beverages, followed by another a good bullshit session.

Day 4 Departure time: 9.00am

Musgrove Roadhouse to Weipa via the PDR (Peninsular Development Road); taking in Coen and Archer River. Lunch stop at Archer River and a quick dip in the various waterholes. Continuing 150ks travel to Weipa and set up camp at the Weipa Camping Ground. Powered and unpowered sites available, good shade, brilliant fishing and you can also hire a boat here. Shit, shave, shower, shampoo followed by a good feed and copious amounts of driving stress relive beverages, followed by another good bullshit session!

Day 5 Departure time: 9.00am

Weipa to Bramwell Junction via both the PDR (Peninsular Development Road) and the Telegraph Road;
Organise a Mine and Town tour of Weipa and have lunch. Travel from Weipa to Bramwell Junction stoping at Moreton Telegraph station en route. Set-up camp, followed by a good feed and a couple of driving stress relive beverages, followed by another a good bullshit session. We will also carry-out a recce of the Old Telegraph Track by talking to Jamie from Bramwell Junction road-house and travel 2ks to check-out Palm Creek.

Day 6 Departure time: 8.00am

Bramwell Junction to the Elliot Falls camp ground via the Old Telegraph Track;
The first crossing (Palm creek) this is a pisser, steep ruttered out on entry and an absolute bog-hole on the departure side of the creek requiring snatching and winching. (I am getting a hard-on just thinking about the Tele-Track, oops sorry about that Trendsetters!) from Palm Creek the next crossing is Ducie Creek, (time for a quick wash and cool down after being knackered from the exhausting recovery session at Palm Creek.) 10 klicks later we hit Alice Creek (easy crossing) Punching and battering are way on we then arrive at the Dulhunty River time for a coffee/tea break and a swim (always been mindful of those long tailed, four legged, leather snapping suit-cases that lurk about). We then head of for Bertie Creek (here we to watch out for deep holes in the rocky bottom other-wise easy.) Continuing on, the track narrows to the famous Gunshot crossing. (My advice here is to take one of the chicken tracks. It’s not worth damaging your pride and joy) Lunch stop at the Gunshot, pull out the deck chairs and watch the number of dick-brains that engage the crossing (fun to watch.) Next is Cockatoo Creek (rocky bottom, watch-out for the large pot-holes) finally Sailor Creek (wooden bridge) late afternoon swim at the magnificent Fruit Bat Falls. If we cannot get a camp at Elliot falls camp ground about 10ks away. We will then set–up camp at Canal Creek, just another 6 ks further north.( pristine safe swimming for the children and of course the adults!) My family and I spent two days here in 2011 it was fantastic. We will set up camp on the north side bank of Canal Creek. Shit, shave, swim and shampoo followed by a good feed and copious amounts of track driving stress relive beverages, followed yet again, by another a good bullshit session. (By now we should be well and truly be getting into the swing of things! Ye-haa baby bring in on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Day 7 Departure time: 8.00am

Elliot Falls or Canal Creek camp ground to Punsand Bay Camping Resort via the Northern section of the Old Telegraph Track;
After breakfast another quick swim before heading on the Tele track, off-roading with serve bulges in our pants! The first crossing of the morning is Sam Creek (Sandy bottom, easy crossing) then followed by Mistake Creek (Steep eroded shit hole departure and can be boggy due to volume of traffic, otherwise an easy crossing) next is Cannibal Creek (steep entry and departure, we will watch out for the wash-out on departure section of the bank) Then comes Cypress Creek (we will have to be careful with our wheel placement over the old rooted/farked wooden bridge, we just spot one another across) next is Logan Creek ( a bit swampy otherwise an easy crossing) finally the granddaddy Nolan’s Broke ( in 2011 over 30 vehicle’s shit the whiskers at this crossing lounge lizards, steep drop into water, this is the deepest crossing on the Telegraph track, by the time we get here in August the water level should be low. We will have a coffee or cup of tea and watch the others cross first, we will get someone to walk it first, (Scott Thomas, looks large enough to slow down the crocs, while we all cross safely!) If it is still deep, this is where we break-out the 4x4 bra or drop sheet to put over the front of the vehicle, second low gently pushing your way through getting a bow wave going, snorkel a must have item on this crossing folks.) We then take track on the left to the Northern Bypass Road to the Jardine River crossing. Lunch time. (Please note: Do not lose your ferry ticket as it covers your permit for the area, also make sure you have cash to pay for your ticket, about $90.00 for memory. I will ring them next year to confirm the price!) We then travel the remaining 50ks to Bamaga (this was the worst section of road for corrugation’s.) One hour later arrive at Bamaga. Travel into the main street for supplies at the supermarket and the pub for coldies. We can then get fuel-up at the BP servo on the outskirts of town towards Punsand Bay Resort. After refuelling then travel another 24ks north to Punsand Bay Resort. We have made it, you off-road lounge lizards! Set-up camp, shit, shave, shower and shampoo then followed by a good feed and copious amounts of track driving stress relive beverages, followed yet again by another serious bullshit session.

Day 8 Wake-up anytime you like!

Punsand Bay Camping Resort to Cape York (the tip) yee-haa baby, you’ve don it!
Travel 9ks to the car park at the Tip (take drinks and good joggers/sandshoes for the walk up and over the rocks whilst walking to the tip, get that famous photo) pack a lunch and soak up the experience for the morning. We will then head back to camp whilst checking out the various WW2 aircraft wrecks sites scattered around the Cape. That evening shit, shave, shower and shampoo then followed by another good feed induced with copious amounts of Tip driving stress relive beverages, also followed yet again by another serious bullshit session.

Day 9 Wake-up anytime you like!

Punsand Bay Camping Resort to Thursday Island
Travel by boat to Thursday Island and do a bit of sightseeing for the day for those that want to! For others, do want ever takes your fancy. Personally, I will be fishing with my daughter! That evening continue the trend to shit, shave, shower and shampoo then followed by another good feed induced with various amounts of fishing stress relive beverages, followed by the usual daily bullshit session. (Gees, I reckon that one I lost must have been a world record bara!)

Day 10 Wake-up anytime you like!

Punsand Bay day three!
Fishing & crabbing or 4x4 track driving the various tracks or more sight-seeing! That evening, you guessed it Trendsetters, continue the trend to shit, shave, shower and shampoo then followed by another good feed induced with various amounts of fishing stories ie; the that got a way, induced by stress relive beverages, followed by the usual daily bullshit session.

Day 11 Departure time: 8.00am

Punsand Bay Camping Resort to Vrilya Point via Northern Bypass Road
Time to conduct thorough vehicle checks before we leave; i.e.
1. Check engine oil, coolant level and check for any oil leaks
2. Check font-end components and rear-end suspension components (i.e. check that all nuts are all tight.)
3. Check vehicle for any broken or loos parts (fix accordingly)
4. Check tyres and tyre pressures (especially when cold)
5. Check roofs and storage items are secured properly
This should be part of your daily routine check first thing after breakfast!
We then travel south back to Jardine River crossing, from their travel another 27ks then turn right heading west towards the coast. About 4ks in we will cross an old log bridge over Crystal Creek, morning tea brake and time to cool off and take a dip in Crystal creek. (This is another old dilapidated farked bridge.) We then travel another 23ks until we come to a junction, we turn right and head north up the beach about 8ks until we come to an old light house ship wreck. Great camping and fishing around here. We can set-up camp and cast a few lures or baits into the waters and catch dinner. A good feed and several driving stress relive beverages whilst watching the beautiful sunset, followed by the usual bullshit session.

Day 12 Wake-up anytime you-like!

Vrilya Point
Wake up to the spectacular sunrise and start fishing or just explore the region. A good feed followed by several fishing relive beverages whilst watching again the beautiful sunset, followed by the usual fishing story bullshit session.

Day 13 Departure time: 8.00am

Vrilya Point to Lockhart River via both Northern and Southern Bypass Road
Have breakfast after waking up to another spectacular sunrise, conduct vehicle checks and travel back to Northern Bypass Road and head south to Fruit Bat Falls for morning tea and another cool swim in the falls. We then travel from Fruit Bat Falls about 62ks to an intersection and turn left into the Frenchman’s road turn off; this is about 2ks north of Batavia Downs home stead. We then travel about 36ks until we come to the dreaded Pascoe River crossing, (we will take care when crossing the Pascoe River, she can be at times fast flowing and deep, This where we get Scott Thomas and Fatt’s to walk the crossing first, both steep approach and departure angles.) After crossing the Pascoe, lunch stop. We will then travel about another 16ks to the Mt Tozer look-out. Then travel to Lockhart River and set-up camp either here or travel another 20ks to Chili Beach camp ground. That evening shit, shave, shower and shampoo followed by another good feed induced with various amounts of Frenchman’s Road driving stress relive beverages, followed by, (you guessed it) another 4x4 bullshit session.

Day 14 Wake-up anytime you-like!

Chili Beach/Lockhart River
Explore the region or just fish the area which is fantastic. Relax and have a few coldies and watch the spectacular sunset. That evening the usuals shit, shave, shower and shampoo followed by another great feed with the usual Chili Beach/Lockhart River stress relive beverages, followed by, (you guessed it yet again ) another fishing bullshit session!

Day 15 Wake-up anytime you-like!

Lockhart River to Hann River Roadhouse via both the Portland and the Peninsula Development Roads
Travel 100ks via Portland Road to the Peninsula Development Road turn off, turn left and head 36ks to Archer River Roadhouse for a lunch stop. Travel 235ks from Archer River Roadhouse down the Peninsula Development Road to Hann River Roadhouse and set-up camp. After travelling the bumpy, dusty corrugated road time to shit, shave, shower and shampoo followed by another great feed forced down with numerous amounts of Peninsular Development Road 4x4 driving stress relive beverages, followed by, (you guessed it) another bullshit session.

Day 16 Departure time: 8.00am

Hann River Roadhouse to Cooktown via both the Peninsula Development Road and the Kennedy Hwy
Travel 138ks from Hann River Roadhouse to Lakeland for morning tea stop. Then travel a further 65ks to Cooktown. Set up camp at the Lion’s Den hotel. 4x4 driving stress relive beverages at the bar, followed by, (you guessed it) our final bullshit session together!

Day 17 Wake-up anytime you-like!

Travel 270ks back to Cairns either by the Bloomfield track or by the black stuff ie, the Mulligan Hwy.
I hope you enjoyed your trip!

It’s one of those once in a life time experience Trendsetters, if you see an opportunity in life like travelling on the old Telegraph track (“folks you just have to farken go for it”.) Folks, you do not need to complete any difficult stages of the track, if it is going to compromise the safety of your family or damage your vehicle!!! We will not be doing it!

There is a Cock-Head Tree outside the front of Bramwell Junction roadhouse for all those farken cock-heads and dick-brains that wrecked their vehicles on the tele-track due to stupidity. Their number plates hang of this tree as to a reminder to everyone to take it easy.

Another option folks is to set up camp at Bramwell Junction, travel the southern section of the track with just our vehicles and required recovery gear. We set off early morning allow 5 hours driving. Have lunch at Gunshot whilst watching the farken cock-heads and dick-brains damage their vehicles. Arrive mid-afternoon at Fruit-bat falls for a refreshing swim (possibly increase your family size 9 months later) it’s that sort of place.We then travel back 70ks to Bramwell Junction via Southern Bypass Road. Shit shave shampoo followed by a good feed and copious amounts of Telegraph track driving stress relive beverages, followed by a good bullshit session. (By now you should be well and truly getting into the swing of things!)

The following morning we leave around 7.00am, head back up the Southern Bypass Road to the junction which turns right into the Northern section of the Telegraph track. Set up camp at Elliot falls or Canal Creek. With just our vehicles and required recovery gear, we set of and allow 3 hours driving. Have lunch at Nolan’s Brook whilst watching the cock-heads damage their trucks. (Yehaa baby you did it!) Shit shave shampoo followed by a good feed and copious amounts of Telegraph track driving stress relive beverages, followed by another we made it bullshit session.

PS, Lounge lizards, I recommend you all to purchase the following publications to wet your appetites;

1. Cape York (An Adventure’s Guide) by Ron and Viv Moon.
2. Cape York (Atlas &Guide) by Hema maps

Pre-trip preparation!

Trendsetter’s make sure you fully service your vehicle before you leave i.e. change the engine oil, change the oil filters, change the fuel and air filters, change or check gearbox/transfer case oils, change or check front and rear diff oils, check the brake and clutch fluids, change engine coolant, water hoses and the fan belts, check the brakes and brake lines, check and repack the wheel bearings and front hubs, check and replace any wet seals. Check the exhaust and brackets, check fuel tanks, check and replace the windscreen wiper blades and fill your windscreen bottle with water. Check your battery, if it is more than 3 years old replace it. Check your vehicles lights, indicators and brake/tail lights. Check that your trailer plug is working correctly.

Suspension and tyres!

Fit quality suspension and tyres, (avoid “farking” cheap crap!) This will help elevate any potential disasters when travelling over the hundreds of kilometres of severe corrugations. (Remember what you pay is what you get when it comes to suspension and tyres.) One of the biggest problems that damage tyres on the developmental road is tyre pressures. Too low, they bag-out and get ripped to “farking” shreds on the sharp rocks that lay in the sides of the corrugations. Too high and they also get ripped to “farking” shreds by the protruding sharp rocks in the corrugations. The locals recommend around 28psi and travel around 80ks per hour. (When we head up to the Cape, we will check out the local towns and roadhouses to see all the damaged tyres that they get every year.) When it comes to tyres fit light truck tyres they are extremely tuff and more durable than there radial counter parts. Radial ATRs are too soft in the side walls and will definitely end up being “farking” corrugation bait for the developmental road.

Recovery gear and spares!

Make sure you carry the basic recovery kit with you, the minimum you will need is, snatch strap, snatch block, rated d or bow shackles, air compressor, tyre puncture repair kit and a couple of spare inner tubes, a water bra/tarp-cover (especially for those “farking” ball tearing water crossings) a shovel, high lift jack and or either an axe or a chainsaw. (If you or one of your party as a winch, this too will be great!) Don’t forget to carry spare radiator hoses, fan belts. (If you have had your major service as suggested above, the old ones now become your spares.) Take with you an assortment of nut and bolts, especially suspension type i.e. shock absorber nuts, tie rod nuts, steering arm nuts. Suspension and tyre failures were the Peninsular Development Roads main culprit’s followed thirdly by battery failure.

Daily routine maintenance!

Get into a daily routine of checking first thing in the morning, tyre pressures, wheel nuts, oil and water levels, check air filter, and check for any damage under your vehicle or any signs of fluid leaks.

Don’t forget to carry!

A quality first aid kit (especially if you have children.) Carry plenty of insect repellent and anti-itching creams. Don’t forget the camera and mobile phone chargers and spare sim cards.

Remember to be croc wise!

After all, it is those “farkers” back yard! We don’t swim in any lagoons or rivers or the ocean up on the Cape especially at night time. These farkers are nocturnal and are more active at night, and so too are the “farking” sharks!

RLI’s final Cape advice!

Remember Trendsetters to travel around 80ks per hour to help avoid damage to you, your family and most important your vehicle. Remember it’s supposed to be a life changing holiday, not a race to destroy your vehicle. (Don’t allow your number plate to be added with all those other Dick-brains on the dreaded Cock-head tree at Bramwell Junction whom “farked” their vehicle!!)

For further info on the conditions of the Telegraph Track, contact Jamie at Bramwell Junction roadhouse on (07) 4060-3230.

Please do not forget this is only a draft proposal, please advise all of us what you would like to do.

8 MONTHS AND COUNTING YE-HAA BABY HERE WE COME!

PS, No farking swearing, there will be women and children present!

Regards,

RLI

lorrieandjas
9th December 2012, 06:42 PM
Hey mate - thanks for this. Looks awesome. I'm happy to run with whatever itinerary people agree on - haven't been there before so happy to be led. Bring it on!

Jas

lorrieandjas
9th December 2012, 10:43 PM
Hey RLI - when are you leaving Coffs and how many days you taking to Port? I might tag-along if you are driving up through Brisbane? I'm flexible on dates so happy to lave Brisbane whenever you and others are on the way through. Are you taking 2 or 3 days to get to Port?

Jas

nissannewby
10th December 2012, 02:24 PM
Jas maybe yourself and I could meet them at Douglas or like you said just meet them on the way through?

lorrieandjas
10th December 2012, 03:07 PM
Jas maybe yourself and I could meet them at Douglas or like you said just meet them on the way through?

Hi mate - sounds like a plan. I was planning on that basis to leave around the 1st to head up to Port Douglas but am really flexible on the plans!

Jas

nissannewby
10th December 2012, 09:05 PM
Good stuff. I have been to douglas before it would be a good 2 days drive. Whichever way we go I cant wait.

krbrooking
10th December 2012, 10:17 PM
I have seen this up for a little while now and have avoided it purely on the Heading as this is high up on my bucket list, obviously have surcome to pressure and read it. Soooooooo wish I could come along, who know what the new year will bring. Well hope everyone has a great and safe trip.

lorrieandjas
11th December 2012, 09:39 AM
I have seen this up for a little while now and have avoided it purely on the Heading as this is high up on my bucket list, obviously have surcome to pressure and read it. Soooooooo wish I could come along, who know what the new year will bring. Well hope everyone has a great and safe trip.

Hi mate - shame if you couldn't make it! Not going to rub it in - but am well looking forward to this. Are we there yet??!! :)

Jas

PMC
12th December 2012, 02:18 PM
Hey RLI - when are you leaving Coffs and how many days you taking to Port? I might tag-along if you are driving up through Brisbane? I'm flexible on dates so happy to lave Brisbane whenever you and others are on the way through. Are you taking 2 or 3 days to get to Port?

Jas

G'day Jas,

I will be leaving early hours on the 1st, it is a 5 hour drive from home to Brisbane towing the camper trailer. If i leave at 3.00am, i will in Brisbane around 8.00am. Can RV with both you and Newby at the BP service center on the North side of Brisbane on the Bruce Hwy for Breakfast?

Regards,

RLI

nissannewby
13th December 2012, 07:10 AM
Sounds like it could be a plan :).

lorrieandjas
13th December 2012, 08:53 AM
G'day Jas,

I will be leaving early hours on the 1st, it is a 5 hour drive from home to Brisbane towing the camper trailer. If i leave at 3.00am, i will in Brisbane around 8.00am. Can RV with both you and Newby at the BP service center on the North side of Brisbane on the Bruce Hwy for Breakfast?

Regards,

RLI

Hi RLI - I am up for that and looks like nissannewby is good with that too. Sounds like a plan!

Jas

PMC
13th December 2012, 11:17 AM
Enjoy

G'day Wild98,

If i win Tatt's between now and August 2013, i will shout you the trip!

Regards,

RLI

PMC
13th December 2012, 11:30 AM
2013 Cape York Traveling Wilburys tour!!!!!!!!!!!

Possible touring list:

3. Bryce DEFINITE!
7. Case84 DEFINITE!
8. lorrieandjas DEFINITE!
9. nissannewby (200 killer wasps) DEFINITE!
10. Scott (scottybobcat) (Possible)
11. Nathan (lunn86) (Possible)
12. Joshman (Possible)
13. Zanick (Possible)
14. Gonzo (Possible)
15. Jason D40 (Possible)
16. Fatboy89 (Fatts) (Possible)

G'day folks, this trip is made up of members from both the Nissan Patrol and Navara Asia forums!

PS, 8 months and counting! Nissan convoy to the Cape, Ye-haa baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,

RLI

PMC
13th December 2012, 11:37 AM
G'day you fellow Cape York tripping Trendsetters!

Folks, i have been asked is there a cut off time frame for the Cape trip. I have decided that you folks can vote on this matter. It does not really matter to me, however, i do need numbers for booking into the Big 4 caravan park at Port Douglas, Lions den camp ground area, Punsand bay Camping Resort, and both Elliot falls and Chilli beach camp ground areas.

The earlier i can book these areas the better chance of securing a camp spot.

At present i will only use those folks who are definitely confirmed that they are going, as a number figures to be used. Those that decide to be part of the trip after Feb 2013, will have to make there own bookings.

PS, Ye-Haa baby, EIGHT MONTHS AND COUNTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Regards,

Paul (RLI)
:sterb003:

lorrieandjas
13th December 2012, 11:43 AM
Hi Paul - I think the cutoff should be Feb next year as you have indicated. Its hard enough booking a trip like this so I think that 6 months prior confirmation would help you out. I am definitely in for 4 people (one Patrol and camper). Also - happy to help out with some of the logistics if you need it.

Jas

PMC
13th December 2012, 12:06 PM
Hi Paul - I think the cutoff should be Feb next year as you have indicated. Its hard enough booking a trip like this so I think that 6 months prior confirmation would help you out. I am definitely in for 4 people (one Patrol and camper). Also - happy to help out with some of the logistics if you need it.

Jas

G'day Jas,

Thanks mate! A couple of lads from the Navara forum asked about a possible cut point. As previously stated I have decided that you folks can vote on this matter. The consensus so far is that everyone has indicated that they want a cut off time frame.

I agree with you, i think Feb 2013 is a perfect time frame. It is only the camp locations that i have indicated that need booking requirements, everywhere else is fine!

PS, Jas, the more hands the better i say, feel free to contribute in any area you see fit!

Regards,

Paul (RLI)

PMC
13th December 2012, 12:13 PM
G'day folks,

I am currently organising to book my Patrol into Diesel Central in Rockhampton for a dyno tune on the 2nd August 2013. This is on the way up to meeting you folks in Port Douglas on or around 3/4 August 2013. If there are any others out there that would like to get a dyno tune, please let me know and i will see if we can book the 2nd August just for our party.

Shawn Swaffield and the staff at Diesel Central are known as one of the best diesel tuners in the business.

Regards,

RLI

nissannewby
13th December 2012, 05:42 PM
Book me in :)

PMC
13th December 2012, 08:30 PM
Book me in :)

Done 200 killer wasps!

Regards,

RLI

PMC
13th December 2012, 08:58 PM
Scotty and Fatts, please Familiarise yourself's with the creek crossing obstacles lads!

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u434/RLI1/Cape%20York/IMG_0622.jpg

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u434/RLI1/Cape%20York/IMG_0616.jpg

No slack attitudes you two when you have to wrestle these little old 15 footers. err, i mean, 5 footers out of our way so we can all cross safely!

PS, E-BAY has a special on an training DVD on "how to wrestle croc's for your mates" I will get you both a copy for Christmas! You see, i do care about you both!

Kind regards!

RLI

lorrieandjas
13th December 2012, 09:53 PM
Loving it! Are we there yet??!!

PMC
14th December 2012, 09:00 AM
Loving it! Are we there yet??!!

Soon young Skywalker, when you will be relaxing on a Telegraph track camp spot!

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u434/RLI1/Cape%20York/IMG_0373.jpg

May the force be with you!

Regards,

RLI

lorrieandjas
14th December 2012, 09:44 AM
Nice RLI. Looking forward to it. I was thinking of creating a web-blog (to link to from here) for the trip and for the planning side as well. Got a couple of web-servers we can throw this on and synch it here so the forum gets all the pics as well! Thinking of getting the domain name www.travellingwilburys2013.com.au!

Jas

PMC
14th December 2012, 09:57 AM
Nice RLI. Looking forward to it. I was thinking of creating a web-blog (to link to from here) for the trip and for the planning side as well. Got a couple of web-servers we can throw this on and synch it here so the forum gets all the pics as well! Thinking of getting the domain name www.travellingwilburys2013.com.au!

Jas

G'day Jas,

Go for it! It sounds a fantastic idea!

Regards,

Paul (RLI)

Cuppa
14th December 2012, 10:13 AM
Wish I was in a position to join you all for this trip. Reckon it'll be fantastic. I haven't been higher than Hopevale, just above Cooktown. Loved that part of the country.
Maybe you'll get a chance to do some fishing?

Cuppa

lorrieandjas
14th December 2012, 10:32 AM
OK - domain registered - www.travellingwilburys2013.com.au. Take a couple of hours and it'll be visible. I'll poke up a landing page once it's ready and let you know.

Jas

PMC
14th December 2012, 12:16 PM
Wish I was in a position to join you all for this trip. Reckon it'll be fantastic. I haven't been higher than Hopevale, just above Cooktown. Loved that part of the country.
Maybe you'll get a chance to do some fishing?

Cuppa

G''day Cuppa,

Mate, your right when you say the fishing is fantastic, especially in and around Cooktown! Being August, the large Barra will be of the chew, however still good beach fishing and off-shore fishing!

PS, If i win Tatt's between now and August 2013. I will shout you a trip with us to the Cape mate!

Regards,

RLI

PMC
14th December 2012, 12:28 PM
OK - domain registered - www.travellingwilburys2013.com.au. Take a couple of hours and it'll be visible. I'll poke up a landing page once it's ready and let you know.

Jas

G'day mate,

Job well done! I have cut and pasted your response and added it to the Navara Asia lads. All parties are aware of both forums. We are listed under trips and touring on there website with the same title!

PS, I am not to computer literate when it comes to setting up domains! I am typically your spread sheet, word and Power-Point type person when it comes to computers!

Regards,

Paul (RLI)

lorrieandjas
14th December 2012, 06:56 PM
Hey mate. Couldn't get the page sorted but the domain is registered to us. I'll sort out a page tomorrow and let you know when it's up. Christmas beers got in the way today!!!

Jas

GU CAMPER
14th December 2012, 08:23 PM
I am 99% definite at the moment
Will no for sure whether I'm 100% definite in a couple weeks

PMC
14th December 2012, 08:29 PM
I am 99% definite at the moment
Will no for sure whether I'm 100% definite in a couple weeks

G'evening GU Camper!

Good onya mate! I hope you can join the band!

Regards,

RLI

GU CAMPER
14th December 2012, 08:39 PM
Yeah I'm planning on doing the cape and then head over to the Kimberley's and Kakadu next year
Hopefully be able to do the cape with you guys

lorrieandjas
14th December 2012, 08:45 PM
Yeah I'm planning on doing the cape and then head over to the Kimberley's and Kakadu next year
Hopefully be able to do the cape with you guys

Hey mate. Good if you could join us!

Jas

lorrieandjas
17th December 2012, 04:51 PM
Hey RLI - website is up and running. Just sent you a PM - just some unformatted pics for testing at the moment.

Jas

PMC
17th December 2012, 09:02 PM
Hey RLI - website is up and running. Just sent you a PM - just some unformatted pics for testing at the moment.

Jas

G'evening Jas,

Top job mate!

PS, I love your creativity!

Regards,

Paul (RLI)

lorrieandjas
17th December 2012, 10:06 PM
Hey mate - no worries at all - piece of you know what! Just had to upload something to the site to make sure it was all working ok. Got your PM so will set up something to accomodate. Can add email addresses too - but rli@travellingwilburys2013.com.au is a bit of a mouthful!

Jas

lorrieandjas
18th December 2012, 12:19 PM
Hey guys. Site is up now - so please let me know anything you want added or changed.

Jas

PMC
20th December 2012, 11:34 AM
Possible touring list:

3. Bryce DEFINITE!
7. Case84 DEFINITE!
10. Joshman (DEFINITE!)
11. Scott (scottybobcat) (Possible)
12. Nathan (lunn86) (Possible)
13. Jason D40 (Possible)
14. Fatboy89 (Fatts) (Possible)

G'day folks, this is the latest up-date!

The trip is made up of members from both the Nissan Patrol and Navara Asia forums!

Please note the cut off time for this trip is the end of January 2013. Anyone wishing to join this trip after that date, will have to organise there own campsite bookings.

PS, 8 months and counting! Nissan convoy to the Cape, Ye-haa baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,

RLI

lorrieandjas
20th December 2012, 11:42 AM
Hi RLI - updated the list on the website too. Saw that this morning.

Jas

PMC
20th December 2012, 02:13 PM
Hi RLI - updated the list on the website too. Saw that this morning.

Jas

G'day Jas,

Geez your efficient mate!

Lol, you will make someone a good wife!

Regards,

RLI

lorrieandjas
20th December 2012, 03:53 PM
Mate - I hope so! I can cook, clean, vacuum - oops - wrong forum! :)

Jas

GU CAMPER
20th December 2012, 05:36 PM
I will put myself down as a definite

Life and work will have to make way for the trip

CAN"T WAIT

PMC
20th December 2012, 09:28 PM
Possible touring list:

Latest up-date 20/12/12

3. Bryce DEFINITE!
7. Case84 DEFINITE!
10. Joshman (DEFINITE!)
11. GU Camper (DEFINITE!)
12. Scott (scottybobcat) (Possible)
13. Nathan (lunn86) (Possible)
14. Jason D40 (Possible)
15. Apollofish (Possible)

G'day folks, this trip is made up of members from both the Nissan Patrol and Navara Asia forums!

Please note the cut off time for this trip is the end of January 2013. Anyone wishing to join this trip after that date, will have to organise there own campsite bookings.

Regards,

RLI

PMC
21st December 2012, 02:59 PM
Latest up-date, 21/12/12

Possible touring list:

3. Bryce DEFINITE!
7. Case84 DEFINITE!
10. Joshman (DEFINITE!)
14. Jason D40 (Possible)

Trendsetters, may i suggest could all the DEFINITES PM your contact phone numbers and your state and areas from where you come from to Jas, That way Jas could put a contact list together and then PM them back to the DEFINITES. This will allow you to contact one another and formally introduce yourselves to one another! It also allows you to see who is the closet fellow Cape York participant closest to you. This might also allow you to meet up and travel from home to Cairns!

I also thought we could introduce one another's vehicle and campers together! This is my set-up that i am taking to the Cape York next year!

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u434/RLI1/RLI%20Camper-trailer/IMG_0920.jpg

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u434/RLI1/Wooli/IMG_1290.jpg

Regards,

RLI

nissannewby
21st December 2012, 08:23 PM
This will be my Rig. I have an awning to fit and will purchase some maxtrax, she will loaded with the fridge and swag etc and hopefully 200hp :D

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh493/nissannewby/5506b32d.jpg

GU CAMPER
21st December 2012, 09:06 PM
This is what I will be driving

PMC
21st December 2012, 09:14 PM
This is what I will be driving

Nice rig there GU Camper!

Regards,

RLI

PMC
21st December 2012, 09:14 PM
This will be my Rig. I have an awning to fit and will purchase some maxtrax, she will loaded with the fridge and swag etc and hopefully 200hp :D

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh493/nissannewby/5506b32d.jpg

I have always liked the look of your Patrol newby!

Regards,

Paul

GU CAMPER
21st December 2012, 10:13 PM
Nice lookin rig there newby
Can't wait to see it in the flesh

GU CAMPER
21st December 2012, 10:13 PM
Nice rig there GU Camper!

Regards,

RLI

Cheers Paul

nissannewby
21st December 2012, 10:22 PM
When I get the time and coin I would like to get one made from scratch out of sheet ally or steel and have it colour coded to the car and have something thats a little easier to remove and fit.

Yours looks the goods to GU camper. How do you like the tyres?

PMC
21st December 2012, 11:18 PM
Latest up-date! 22/12/12

Possible touring list:

3. Bryce DEFINITE!
7. Case84 DEFINITE!
10. Joshman (DEFINITE!)
14. Jason D40 (Possible)
16. Zanick (Possible)

Trendsetters, may i suggest could all the DEFINITES PM your contact phone numbers and your state and areas from where you come from to Jas, That way Jas could put a contact list together and then PM them back to the DEFINITES.

This will allow you to contact one another and formally introduce yourselves to one another! It also allows you to see who is the closet fellow Cape York participant closest to you. This might also allow you to meet up and travel from home to Cairns together!

Well Trendsetters, looks like we have got ourselves a "NISSAN CONVOY", Ye-haa baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,

RLI

stock patrol
21st December 2012, 11:43 PM
Hi all,
I'd love to put my name in the ring to join this trip but after reading all the blogs on vehicle equipment and so on I would be left at the first hard yard.
My wagon is pretty much stock apart from a smart bar up front. A fridge for p--s and a tent to feed the croc's from.

I have a lot of work to do to get it up with you guys! Will keep the cut off in mind just in case though.

Happy venturing!

PMC
21st December 2012, 11:59 PM
Hi all,
I'd love to put my name in the ring to join this trip but after reading all the blogs on vehicle equipment and so on I would be left at the first hard yard.
My wagon is pretty much stock apart from a smart bar up front. A fridge for p--s and a tent to feed the croc's from.

I have a lot of work to do to get it up with you guys! Will keep the cut off in mind just in case though.

Happy venturing!

Good onya stock patrol!

All the best for Christmas and the New-Year mate!

Regards,

RLI

stock patrol
22nd December 2012, 06:54 AM
All the best for Christmas and the New-Year too!

Steve.

PMC
22nd December 2012, 05:06 PM
Latest up-date! 22/12/12

Possible touring list:

3. Bryce DEFINITE!
7. Case84 DEFINITE!
10. Joshman (DEFINITE!)
12. Scott (scottybobcat) (DEFINITE!)
14. Jason D40 (Possible)
16. Zanick (Possible)

Please note: as off the 3ist Decemeber 2012 this will be the closing date for participation to the 2013 August Cape York tour!

The remaining (Possibles) on our tour list have until the 31st January 2013 to advise if they will be (DEFINITES!) so i can organise booking the various camp sites. Any of the remaining (Possibles) who fail to notify us by the January deadline. Are still welcome to come along. However, they will have to organise there own campsite bookings.

Trendsetters, may i suggest could all the DEFINITES PM your contact phone numbers and your state and areas from where you come from to Jas, That way Jas could put a contact list together and then PM them back to the DEFINITES.

This will allow you to contact one another and formally introduce yourselves to one another! It also allows you to see who is the closet fellow Cape York participant closest to you. This might also allow you to meet up and travel from home to Cairns together!

Well Trendsetters, looks like we have got our self's a "NISSAN" convoy, Ye-haa baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MERRY FARKING CHRISTMAS AND WISHING YOU ALL A SAFE AND PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR

Regards,

RLI

lorrieandjas
22nd December 2012, 07:07 PM
Hey guys - as RLI said - send me your mobile/contact number via PM and I'll add you to the list - definite or possible! And check out www.travellingwilburys2013.com.au in the next few weeks for recommended equipment lists, itinerary, etc. Or tune into your local nissanpatrol.com.au for more info! :)

Jas

dads tractor
29th December 2012, 01:46 AM
If you have a drama around the Mackay area am willing to help private pm for details .

MC97GQ
29th December 2012, 08:28 AM
Hey Paul,

Looks like you might all have to "break down" at Mackay and drink all dads tractor's beers.

dads tractor
29th December 2012, 11:04 AM
Hey Paul,

Looks like you might all have to "break down" at Mackay and drink all dads tractor's beers

Might have to upsize the beer fridge by the sound of that comment

lorrieandjas
29th December 2012, 02:46 PM
Sounds like a plan!!

Jas

PMC
29th December 2012, 10:26 PM
Hey Paul,

Looks like you might all have to "break down" at Mackay and drink all dads tractor's beers.

G'evening MC97GQ,

Sounds like a plan?

Regards,

Paul

PMC
29th December 2012, 10:32 PM
Sounds like a plan!!

Jas

UNBELIEVABLE JAS!

I HAVE JUST READ YOUR RESPONSE!

PS, I REPLIED TO MC97GQ RESPONSE. THEN I READ TRACTORS AND THEN YOURS! Déjŕ vu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,

RLI

PMC
29th December 2012, 10:35 PM
Hey Paul,

Looks like you might all have to "break down" at Mackay and drink all dads tractor's beers

Might have to upsize the beer fridge by the sound of that comment

G'evening mate,

Would love to catch up with fellow Patrolian's on our travels! Will contact you next year mate!

All the best for 2013!

Regards,

Paul (RLI)

PMC
29th December 2012, 10:50 PM
Latest up-date! 29/12/12!

Possible touring list:

3. Bryce DEFINITE!
7. Case84 DEFINITE!
10. Joshman (DEFINITE!)
14. Jason D40 (Possible)
16. Zanick (Possible)
17. Tony-mate of Joshman's (Possible)

Please note: as off the 3ist Decemeber 2012 this will be the closing date for participation to the 2013 August Cape York tour!

The remaining (Possibles) on our tour list have until the 31st January 2013 to advise if they will be (DEFINITES!) so i can organise booking the various camp sites. Any of the remaining (Possibles) who fail to notify us by the January deadline. Are still welcome to come along. However, they will have to organise there own campsite bookings.

Well Trendsetters, looks like we have got our self's a "NISSAN" convoy, Ye-haa baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8 months and counting!

PS, WISHING YOU ALL A SAFE AND PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,

RLI

PMC
31st December 2012, 09:48 AM
Final touring list! 31/12/2012

3. Bryce DEFINITE!
7. Case84 DEFINITE!
10. Joshman (DEFINITE!)
14. Jason D40 (Possible)
16. Zanick (Possible)
18. Luke 91 mate (Possible)
19. Nathan JG (Possible)
20. Nathan JG mate (Possible)
21. Nathan JG mate (Possible)
22. Nathan JG mate (Possible)

Folks, i received this PM from NathanJG stating the following;

“HI RLI

We have been trying to organise a trip for Sept in 2013. Unfortunately our numbers have dropped and I am currently looking at other options. At the moment we have 3, possibly 4 of us. Our Nav, a ranger and possiblt two cruiser utes. All but one of the cruiser utes have very limited 4wd experence. Just wondering if you would be happy to have us tag along with you guys or not??

Regards

Nathan”

As previously stated, this trip is your trip, and for that reason i will ask you all for input into your once in a life-time special trip. We have had a run of people coming forward requesting to be part of this trip before today's final cut-off point. A classic is Nathan JG's PM above.

For this reason our numbers have grown to 22 Vehicles. Because of the large numbers, i have decided to ask you all if you are interested into that we divide the numbers into 2 touring groups. ie 2 groups. We will know by the 31st January 2013 exactly what the group numbers will be!

We will stagger the start times of the groups by 1 day or 24 hours apart. example, group one will leave Port Douglas on the 3rd of August, Group 2 on the 4th August.

The reason for this is twofold, firstly, when we hit the developmental road, we will be travelling at intervals of between 100 to 200 meters apart from vehicle to vehicle, so that we are not all travelling in one another's dust. Secondly, should we decide to do the Telegraph track, it is easier for 9 to 11 vehicles traveling and camping-up on the track than 22. It will be impossible to get 22 vehicles parked at Fruit-bat falls.

However, both groups will finally meet up at Punsand bay resort and we can get a group photo at the Tip together!

To make this far, i have decided that the following folks will make up the 2 groups;

Group 1

3. Bryce DEFINITE!
6. Case84 DEFINITE!
7. lorrieandjas DEFINITE!
8. nissannewby (200 killer wasps) DEFINITE!
9. GU Camper (DEFINITE!)
10. Scott (scottybobcat) (DEFINITE!)

Group 2

1. Joshman (DEFINITE!)
2. Tony-mate of Joshman's (Possible)
3. Luke (luke91) DEFINITE!
4. Luke 91 mate (Possible)
5. Nathan JG (Possible)
6. Nathan JG mate (Possible)
7. Nathan JG mate (Possible)
8. Nathan JG mate (Possible)
9. Apollofish (Possible)
10. Jason D40 (Possible)
12. Zanick (Possible)

The (Possibles) and on our tour list have until the 31st January 2013 to advise if they will be (DEFINITES!) so i can organise booking the various camp sites. Any of the remaining (Possibles) who fail to notify us by the January deadline. Are still welcome to come along. However, they will have to organise there own campsite bookings.

Trendsetters, PLEASE PM your contact phone numbers and your state and areas from where you come from to Jas, That way Jas could put a contact list together and then PM them back to the DEFINITES. Folks, if you fail to help Jas you fail me! I want team players on this trip!

PS, 7 months and counting!

WISHING YOU ALL A SAFE AND PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,

RLI

Lonicus
31st December 2012, 10:03 AM
Damn mate, it's sounding more like an invasion every day. Should be an absolute ball tearer of a trip!

GU CAMPER
31st December 2012, 02:34 PM
I think splitting into groups is a great idea and needs to be done with so many cars

Happy New Year to everyone

PMC
31st December 2012, 05:16 PM
G'day Trendsetters,

By now you should have all received a PM from me with the following message;

G'day mate,

Just a follow-up on next year’s August 2013 Cape-York Trip! Could you please confirm that you are a DEFINITE! by the 31st Jan 2013. So i can start making the appropriate camp site bookings.

Disregard the following if you have already provided the info requested!

Could you also PM Jas with your contact phone numbers and your state and areas from where you come from to Jas, that way Jas could put a contact list together and then PM them back to you.

Kind regards,

Paul (RLI)

The dead line for the trip is today! After today we will not be taking anymore participants.

I would like to wish you and your families and Safe and Prosperous New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

PS, See you all in 2013 and 7 months and counting!

Regards,

Paul & family

lorrieandjas
1st January 2013, 12:17 AM
UNBELIEVABLE JAS!

I HAVE JUST READ YOUR RESPONSE!

PS, I REPLIED TO MC97GQ RESPONSE. THEN I READ TRACTORS AND THEN YOURS! Déjŕ vu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,

RLI

I hear ya. Can't wait for this trip mate! 7 months and counting every day!

Jas

lorrieandjas
1st January 2013, 01:09 AM
Hi all. Just reiterating today (yesterday) was the cutoff for the definites as Paul (RLI) is about to book accommodation along the way. Appolofish - will PM you tomorrow. - might be able to shuffle some things if you can confirm you're a definite in the next day or two.

Jas

MC97GQ
1st January 2013, 09:35 AM
Hey Guys,

Just thought I would mention there is a little confusion in your post about the cut off date, you say that it is 31st January 2013,

But you have now cut off 31st December 2012(give or take)

Just thought I would mention it

Mark

PMC
1st January 2013, 11:17 AM
Hey Guys,

Just thought I would mention there is a little confusion in your post about the cut off date, you say that it is 31st January 2013,

Mark

G'day Mark,

There was two dates and two lists of members! The first date was the official cut-off for over all participants to be part of the August 2013 trip and this was the 31st December 2012. The first list was all those members that confirmed they were (DEFINITE!)

The second date the 31st January 2013 was for all those members whom are on the second list (possible) They have until the 31st January 2013 to advise if they will be (DEFINITES!) so i can organise booking for the various camp sites. Any of the remaining (Possibles) who fail to notify us by the January deadline. Are still welcome to come along. However, they will have to organise there own campsite bookings.

Regards,

Paul (RLI)

lorrieandjas
1st January 2013, 11:29 AM
Hey Guys,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Sorry - what the 31st December 2012 cutoff was for was for new participants not already on the definites or possibles list. 31st January 2013 cutoff is for all the possibles to confirm as definites.

Jas

lorrieandjas
1st January 2013, 11:29 AM
Oops - saw Paul beat me to it!

Jas

MC97GQ
1st January 2013, 11:31 AM
Thanks Guys,

although I would love to come but cannot, I have watching this thread with interest, and got a little confused.

thanks for clearing that up.

Good luck with it all

Mark

lorrieandjas
1st January 2013, 11:34 AM
Hi Mark,

No worries - shame you can't make it but we'll keep you updated and hopefully have a load of pics in 7 months!

Jas

PMC
1st January 2013, 11:39 AM
Final touring list! 1/01/2013

2. Apollofish DEFINITE!
3. Bryan (04silverSTR) DEFINITE!
4. Bryce DEFINITE!
7. Case84 DEFINITE!
10. Joshman (DEFINITE!)
13. Gunning1987: (Possible)
14. Nathan (lunn86) (Possible)
15. Jason D40 (Possible)
16. Zanick (Possible)
18. Luke 91 mate (Possible)
19. Nathan JG (Possible)
20. Nathan JG mate (Possible)
21. Nathan JG mate (Possible)
22. Nathan JG mate (Possible)

Because of the large numbers, i have decided to have 2 touring groups. We finalise these groups by the 31st January 2013.

We will stagger the start times of the groups by 1 day or 24 hours apart. example, group one will leave Port Douglas on the 3rd of August, Group 2 on the 4th August.

The reason for this is twofold, firstly, when we hit the developmental road, we will be travelling at intervals of between 100 to 200 meters apart from vehicle to vehicle, so that we are not all travelling in one another's dust. Secondly, should we decide to do the Telegraph track, it is easier for 9 to 11 vehicles traveling and camping-up on the track than 22. It will be impossible to get 22 vehicles parked at Fruit-bat falls.

However, both groups will finally meet up at Punsand bay resort and we can get a group photo at the Tip together!

Group 1

2. Apollofish DEFINITE!
4. Bryce DEFINITE!
6. Case84 DEFINITE!
9. GU Camper (DEFINITE!)
10. Scott (scottybobcat) (DEFINITE!)

Group 2

1. Joshman (DEFINITE!)
2. Tony-mate of Joshman's (Possible)
3. Gunning1987: (Possible)
4. Luke (luke91) DEFINITE!
5. Luke 91 mate (Possible)
6. Nathan JG (Possible)
7. Nathan JG mate (Possible)
8. Nathan JG mate (Possible)
9. Nathan JG mate (Possible)
10. Jason D40 (Possible)
12. Zanick (Possible)

The (Possibles) and on our tour list have until the 31st January 2013 to advise if they will be (DEFINITES!) so i can organise booking the various camp sites. Any of the remaining (Possibles) who fail to notify us by the January deadline. Are still welcome to come along. However, they will have to organise there own campsite and accommodation bookings.

Trendsetters, PLEASE PM your contact phone numbers and your state and areas from where you come from to Jas, That way Jas could put a contact list together and then PM them back to the DEFINITES.

Regards,

RLI

matfew
1st January 2013, 11:46 AM
I wish I could make this one but we were aiming for 2014 at this stage.

Got a lil one due to arrive in april this year so she'll be a bit young for a trip like this that early.

Is a great read. I will be taking note of everything for our trip. Look forward to more updates.

PMC
1st January 2013, 12:16 PM

Got a lil one due to arrive in april this year so she'll be a bit young for a trip like this that early.

Is a great read. I will be taking note of everything for our trip. Look forward to more updates.

G'day matfew,

All the best with the birth of your new baby! I could be planning another trip in 2014. keep an eye-out!

Regards,

RLI

matfew
1st January 2013, 12:21 PM
kool could line up with us. We have about 4 or 5 cars in our crew so far. Havent planned when or how we are doing it yet but have just aimed for 2014 lol.

lorrieandjas
1st January 2013, 12:36 PM

Hi mate. I'm taking twins who'll be 11 months old! :)

Jas

PMC
1st January 2013, 12:40 PM
G'day folks!

I met with Jas and his lovely wife yesterday at our place and their two gorgeous darling 3 month old twin daughters Charlie and Sofie.

Typical Jas, show the wife my storage drawers, so he can justify why he needs them! lol good tactic that one! I am glad i did not show him the new Turbo and intercooler!

Looking forward to the Cape York trip!

Regards,

Paul

lorrieandjas
1st January 2013, 03:55 PM
Hey mate. Don't worry - I pointed out the wheels and 33"s! Now I can't let her read the forum! :) Thanks again mate for the hospitality - was great to meet up.

Jas

matfew
1st January 2013, 04:14 PM
Hi mate. I'm taking twins who'll be 11 months old! :)

Jas

Ours is due in mid April so will still be just settling in for this years trip but 2014 we should be all kitted up ready to go.

PMC
1st January 2013, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by sparra04

"Well its getting closer. I have set aside jobs to complete each month so we and the car are ready!
i am currently estimating fuel costs and distances. I have worked out what i need to get from home to Port Douglass what i need is an approx distance from port to tip and return i estimated 1300 ks each way does this sound right ??

PS, are we there yet

Sparra"

G'day Sparra,

I will post up Travel cost projections soon!

However, from Newcastle to Port Douglas is around 2609ks one way! Port Douglas to Bamaga (Cape York) 964ks one way! Total distance from your place to Cape York! 3573ks x 2 gives you your return travel of 7,146ks add another 500ks for side track visits. Total possible distance travelled for your Cape York tour trip around 7,646ks

PS, You will be saying are we there yet! lol.

Regards

Paul (RLI)

PMC
1st January 2013, 08:15 PM
Quote:

"hi paul
we will be travelling via the inland road 2360 ks (narrabri,st george,emerald ect) stopping o/nite at st george,emerald and a days break in townsville to catch up with relo's will be at port douglas lunchtime on the 3rd cabin booked.

2500 ks from port to tip and return sounds pretty right taking into consideration side tracks. I have estimated a total fuel cost of $1800 with a good safety buffer we are budgeting a total of $5000 for the entire trip."

G'evening Sparra,

That's exactly what my wife and I did on the last trip to Cape York, we had a budget for $5,000.00. We came home with $900.00.

Regards,

Paul

PMC
1st January 2013, 08:28 PM
G'evening folks,

Just a reminder to the Nissan Patrol forum folks, please check out the Navara Asia forum website for further info checks! When you enter the website, look for the Trips and Touring thread, click on it and scroll down to Cape York August 2013!

I will be also advising the Navara Asia folks to check out this thread, that way you can keep one another informed of your mods and trip planning!

All the best

Regards,

RLI

lorrieandjas
2nd January 2013, 04:36 PM
Hi guys - have PMd those who are definites or possibles on this list today with the contact list as it stands today. I will keep updating this but if anyone didn't receive this or notices any errors or wants to add details please let me know.

Jas

lorrieandjas
3rd January 2013, 09:34 AM
Hi guys - could all those on the contact list please email me their email address so I can add to the contact list? I am also setting up an email distribution list which will forward all emails to your personal email address and that we can use for group communication (easier than PMs!). The email address will be participants@travellingwilburys2013.com.au and I will let you know when it is operational as soon as I have received some addresses.

Jas

PMC
3rd January 2013, 07:51 PM
Quote:

Originally Posted by joshman on the Navara Asia forum.

"hey RLI, i just had a thought about the timing of the trip. With two or three cars the trip would be easy, especially if you've got to spend a few hours winching out of bog holes and river exits, etc.

However with 12 or more (confirmed) vehicles for this convoy, we could be stuck at some river entries for a day or more! though hopefully not. so, is it worth adding a few extra days here and there just in case"?

G'evening Joshman,

The only problem area we have is the Telegraph Track. However, the August time frame the water levels are at the lowest points. The difficulty lies how badly the entry/departure crossings are in?

Jamie at Bramwell Junction Road-house advised me last week, that May,June is the worst condition for the track, mid-July it drys out very quickly making August/September the easiest months to do the Telegraph Track!

That's why i have broke this trip into two groups. I want our people to be the first to hit the Tele-track at 7.00am respectively, before everyone else starts hitting the track between 7.30am to 11.30am.

I will have a plan''s B and C in place for everyone in the next 2 weeks!

Regards,

Paul (RLI)

PMC
4th January 2013, 11:05 PM
G'evening Folks!

Time to start preparing your Check List fundamentals between now and the 30th July! Check list will be your new friend! It is a good discipline to have at your disposal!

By now your Check Lists should resemble something like these below!

Pre-trip preparation Check List!

Trendsetter’s make sure you fully service your vehicle before you leave i.e.

change the engine oil, change the oil filters, change the fuel and air filters, change or check gearbox/transfer case oils, change or check front and rear diff oils, check the brake and clutch fluids, change engine coolant, water hoses and the fan belts, check the brakes and brake lines, check and repack the wheel bearings and front hubs, check and replace any wet seals. Check the exhaust and exhaust brackets, check fuel tanks for any leaks, check and replace the windscreen wiper blades and fill your windscreen bottle with clean water. Check your battery, if it is more than 3 years old replace it. Check your vehicles lights, indicators and brake/tail lights. Check that your trailer plug is working correctly.

Suspension and tyres Check List!

Fit quality suspension and tyres, (avoid “farking” cheap crap!) This will help elevate any potential disasters when travelling over the hundreds of kilometers of severe corrugations. (Remember what you pay is what you get when it comes to suspension and tyres.) Check all your rubber bushes, Check your shocks for any leaks or worn rubber bushes. Check sway bar connect rubber bushes. Check tie rods. Check steering damper! Make sure you have the appropriate under-body protection, especially D40 Navaras! One of the biggest problems that damage tyres on the developmental road is if they are not made from a Light truck carcus, solid side walls. Radial ATR's will fall apart very quickly up on the Cape! Too low of a tyre pressure, they bag-out and get ripped to shreds on the sharp rocks that lay in the sides of the corrugations. Too high and they also get ripped to shreds by the protruding sharp rocks in the corrugations. When it comes to tyres please fit light truck tyres they are extremely tuff and more durable than there radial counter parts. Radial ATRs are too soft in the side walls and will definitely end up being “farking” corrugation bait for the developmental road. Make sure you carry 2 spare tyres for your vehicle. ie one new one on a rim and one second hand carcus stored on your roof rack!

Recovery gear and spares Check List!

Make sure you carry the basic recovery kit with you, the minimum you will need is, snatch strap, snatch block, rated d or bow shackles, air compressor, tyre puncture repair kit and a couple of spare inner tubes, a water bra/tarp-cover (especially for those “farking” ball tearing water crossings) a long handled shovel, high lift jack and or either an axe or a chainsaw. (If you are lucky enough a winch, this is not essential as many of us have winches!) Don’t forget to carry spare radiator hoses, fan belts. (If you have had your major service as suggested above, the old ones now become your spares.) Take with you an assortment of nut and bolts, especially suspension type i.e. shock absorber nuts, tie rod nuts, steering arm nuts. Suspension and tyre failures were the Peninsular Development Roads main culprit’s followed thirdly by battery failure.

Kitchen Check List

Purchase a Vacuum sealer to helps to preserve the freshness of your foods. About $50.00 from Big W. The hand-held ECO Vacuum Sealer works with specially designed super strong ECO Vacuum Seal Bags, these bags have a Zipper Closure and Air Valve. Fantastic for food storage in your portable fridges! Carry at least two rechargeable torches! Potable chairs, crockery, knifes,forks spoons, plates and cups. Tinned foods, can opener, B/Q. Gas bottled full. Cleaning gear! Rubbish bags, toilet rolls. 20 LT bucket for washing your clothes in!

Personal hygiene Check Lists!

Soap, tooth paste, tooth brush, shampoo,Deodorant, clothes!

First aid kit Check List!

1 Emergency First Aid Book
2 Triangular Bandages 110cm x 110cm
1 Crepe Bandage 5cm
1 Crepe Bandage 7.5cm
1 Crepe Bandage 15cm
1 Heavy Crepe 10cm
2 Combine Pads 20cm x 30cm
2 Combine Pads 10cm x 10cm
1 Wound Dressing No. 14
2 Non-Adherent Pads 7.5cm x 10cm
1 Burns Sheet Small
1 Bag Adhesive Strips (Bag of 50)
8 Antiseptic Swabs
3 Alcohol Swabs
1 Bag Antiseptic Steritube (Bag of 2)
2 Eye Pads Large
4 Saline Steritube 15ml
2 Saline Steritube 30ml
1 Hypo-Allergenic Tape 2.5cm x 9m
1 Bag Safety Pins (Bag of 12)
1 Pkt Disposable Splinter Probes (Pkt of 5)
1 Stainless Steel Sharp Forceps 12.5cm
1 Stainless Steel Sharp/Blunt Scissors 12.5cm
1 Emergency Shock Blanket
1 Pkt Paracetamol Tablets (Pkt of 12)
1 Stopitch 50g
1 Notepad and Pencil
1 Bag Disposable Nitrile Gloves (Bag of 2)
1 UP Sunscreen Tube 30+ 100g
1 Disposable Resuscomask
3 Sterile Gauze Swabs 7.5cm x 7.5cm
1 Bag Disposable Towels (Bag of 3)
1 Plastic Bag Medium

ARE YOUR STARTING TO THINK CHECK LISTS!

PS, after this trip, you will be squared away!

Regards,

RLI

lorrieandjas
4th January 2013, 11:45 PM
Hey mate - great checklists. Will add to the website as well. I'm bringing along spare coils and shocks ( the stock ones pre the lift). Other things to bring. - drag chains, tools, Maxtrax or your equivalent, UHF is good, as RLI would say a faaark load of bug spray and a load of gold coins for washing (or losing at poker!).

Will put a serious list together on the www.travellingwilburys2013.com.au (http://www.travellingwilburys2013.com.au) website for reference!

Jas

PMC
5th January 2013, 07:14 AM
Hey mate - great checklists. Will add to the website as well. I'm bringing along spare coils and shocks ( the stock ones pre the lift). Other things to bring. - drag chains, tools, Maxtrax or your equivalent, UHF is good, as RLI would say a faaark load of bug spray and a load of gold coins for washing (or losing at poker!).

Will put a serious list together on the www.travellingwilburys2013.com.au (http://www.travellingwilburys2013.com.au) website for reference!

Jas

I have all the answers, there is no right /wrong answers here! Just common sense!

The idea of this Check List post, is to get you folks out-there researching the internet, 4x4 magazines, 4x4 club websites or other forums to gather ideas from other peoples Check List! Then come back here and share us your Check-List version. The purpose of this exercise is all about researching and learning to create workable Check-lists before you go away on that long trip!

Research your info "Trendsetters" and show us what you come up with in the next month. We will implement all the good "Check Lists" to our trip and make this post a sticky for the forum and its members! This in now getting you into Cape York trip mode, part of the holiday experience is the planning and preparation phases!

PS, All the best with you research and draft new "Check Lists" for us all to use! 7 MONTHS AND COUNTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,

RLI

MC97GQ
5th January 2013, 11:15 AM
Hey Paul,

Just a couple of thoughts for your checklist,

UHF Aerials, some bases are not designed for serious corrugations(highway use and small amount of off road), so it might pay for everyone to check whether their base is suitable to the task, also might pay to invest in a spare whip just in case.

Also, I don't know what communications are like in that neck of the woods, so maybe a couple of SAT phones(one for each group) just in case(heaven forbid) it turns pear shaped and you need major help.

Anyway mate, I just thought I would put these up in case they hadn't been thought of.

Mark

PMC
5th January 2013, 06:53 PM
Quote:

"My spares will include;

Upper and lower rad hoses
Full set drive belts
Full set spare shocks
Chemiweld and liquid steel and plastic repair
Full set boost hoses (i/cooler)
2 spare tyres
Fuel and air filter
Oil and coolant
Full tool kit

Are we there yet"

Good onya Sparra!

You are right on the money mate!

PS, we have Scotty for any welding requirements. lol

Regards,

RLI

PMC
6th January 2013, 10:29 PM
Quote:

Originally Posted by NathanJG

"Sorry RLI. I know I came into the group at the very last minute and I thank you for allowing us to join but after camping for the last week (have just got back) we have decided that we will have to pull out (as well as our other 3 friends) and do the trip when we had originally planned. (which was based loosley around the school hols in Sept as we have three young boys). Sorry for the inconenience and keep the great info coming. I have downloaded your planned itinary and am going to use it as a base to creat our own itinary."

G'evening Nathan,

Thanks for the heads-up mate! That is why i have given the possibles until the end of January! I am hoping to have a few more to pull the pin by the start of the trip, that way it makes it more manageable.

PS, all the best with your trip in September! You will have a ball!

Regards,

RLI

PMC
6th January 2013, 10:39 PM
Present touring list!

2. Apollofish DEFINITE!
4. Bryce DEFINITE!
9. Joshman (DEFINITE!)
10. GU Camper (DEFINITE!)
11. Scott (scottybobcat) (DEFINITE!)
12. Gunning1987: (Possible)
14. Jason D40 (Possible)
15. Zanick (Possible)
16. Tony-mate of Joshman's (Possible)
17. Luke 91 mate (Possible)

Because of the large numbers, i have decided to have 2 touring groups. We finalise these groups by the 31st January 2013.

Group 1

2. Apollofish DEFINITE!
4. Bryce DEFINITE!
6. lorrieandjas DEFINITE!
7. nissannewby (200 killer wasps) DEFINITE!
8. GU Camper (DEFINITE!)
9. Scott (scottybobcat) (DEFINITE!)

Group 2

10. Joshman (DEFINITE!)
11. Tony-mate of Joshman's (Possible)
12. Gunning1987: (Possible)
13. Luke (luke91) DEFINITE!
14. Luke 91 mate (Possible)
15. Jason D40 (Possible)
16. Nathan (lunn86) (Possible)
17. Zanick (Possible)

The (Possibles) and on our tour list have until the 31st January 2013 to advise if they will be (DEFINITES!) so i can organise booking the various camp sites. Any of the remaining (Possibles) who fail to notify us by the January deadline. Are still welcome to come along. However, they will have to organise there own campsite and accommodation bookings.

Trendsetters, PLEASE PM your contact phone numbers and your state and areas from where you come from to Jas, That way Jas could put a contact list together and then PM them back to the DEFINITES.

Regards,

RLI

lorrieandjas
7th January 2013, 02:43 PM
I have added a start of an equipment list at the following site Equipment List (http://www.travellingwilburys2013.com.au/?page_id=54). Feel free to comment or make comment on additions, deletions, etc. I have had to turn on moderation of comments because of spammers so if you do post a comment there I need to approve it before it appears. Or alternatively email the group email participants@travellingwilburys2013.com.au.

Jas

MC97GQ
7th January 2013, 03:33 PM
Hey Jas,

You may need to check the above link mate it's not working for me,

Mark

lorrieandjas
7th January 2013, 03:38 PM
Hey Jas,

You may need to check the above link mate it's not working for me,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for that mate! Had a double http:// in the link! Thanks for picking it up and letting me know.

Jas

PMC
14th January 2013, 02:10 PM
G'day Trendsetters,

For all the participants for this years Cape York trip in August, grab a copy of this months 4wd action magazine No 193 "Do The Simmo or Cape on any Budget"! Great write up for touring up to the Cape! Great budget ideas, modification how much fuel to carry and finally river crossing info.

Regards,

RLI

lorrieandjas
15th January 2013, 09:38 AM
Hi guys - contact list has been updated as follows:

GROUP 1
Forum Handle (Primary Contact)
RLI (Paul)
Apollofish (Jack)
04silverSTR (Bryan)
Bryce (Bryce)
sparra04 (Ian)
lorrieandjas/Jase (Jason)
nissannewby (Mat)
GU CAMPER (Andy)
scottybobcat (Scott)

GROUP 2
Joshman (Josh)
Joshman Friend (Tony)
Gunning987 (Not provided)
Luke91 (Luke)
Friend of Luke91 (Luke)
Jason-D40 (Jason)
Jason-D40 (Allan)
Jason-D40 (Friend)
lunn86 (Nathan)
Zanick (James)

Please note that those in green have confirmed as DEFINITIES and those in red are POSSIBLES. Please remember that you have until the end of this month to confirm as a DEFINITE if you are still a POSSIBLE to join in the group bookings, etc.

Jas

PMC
20th January 2013, 09:24 PM
G'evening Trendsetters,

I found this info on the CAPE-YORK-AUSTRALIA.COM website. For those of you that like to good reading research material!

Visit Cape York Destination Guide

This complete, 300-pages Visit Cape York Destination Guide is all you ever need to successfully complete your trip and enjoy it.

In the early stages of planning you needed the FREE Cape York Travel Pocket Guide.

It got you started with things like when to visit Cape York, how to get here and get around, what kind of accommodation you would like to look at or whether you'd prefer FREE camping; what is there to see and do, how much time to plan for the trip, and roughly what it will cost you.

It gave you a good idea about it all, and helped you to make the big decisions, but it had no bigger detail which you need in the next planning stage.

The Full Visit Cape York Destination Guide has all the detail you ever need.

With 300 pages it is SIX TIMES the size of the pocket guide, and more than two thirds of the book are destination pages.

This 300-Page Visit Cape York Destination Guide Contains;

* Destination pages with full detail about what there is to see and do, how long time you are likely spend in a place, and practical information with opening hours, addresses and phone numbers of the local tourist information centre, bank and post office, medical centre, pharmacy and closest hospital, grocery shop, pub and bottle shop, RACQ and car mechanics...

* Each place, big or small, also has a list of camping, accommodation and tour operators including fishing, croc spotting, scenic flights, and trips to the Great Barrier Reef and Torres Strait Islands - all with details on what kind of tours and accommodation they offer and what are the prices. And of course, FREE camping sites in detail.

* In larger places, shopping and eating out including opening hours (or whether a place is open for lunch or dinner), and what kind of food they serve. It's great to have a break from bush cooking while you visit Cape York.

Regards,

RLI

PMC
21st January 2013, 09:09 AM
G'day Trendsetters,

The latest roll call on those members that are definitely committed to the August 2013 Cape York trip.

GROUP 1
1.RLI (Paul)
2.Apollofish (Jack)
3.Bryce (Bryce)
4.sparra04 (Ian)
5.lorrieandjas/Jase (Jason)
6.nissannewby (Mat)
7.GU CAMPER (Andy)
8.scottybobcat (Scotty)

GROUP 2
9.Joshman (Josh)
10.Joshman Friend (Tony)
11.Gunning987 (Not provided)
12.Luke91 (Luke)
13.Friend of Luke91 (Luke)
14.Jason-D40 (Jason)
15.Jason-D40 (Allan)
16.Jason-D40 (Friend)
17.lunn86 (Nathan)
18.Zanick (James)

Please remember that you have until the end of this month to confirm as a DEFINITE. Good luck!

Regards,

RLI

PMC
21st January 2013, 11:03 AM
G'day Trendsetters,

I need to know ASAP a head count of how many people are in you party; ie RLI's party my daughter, my father and me = 3. Also could you please advise what type of site you require for the initial Rendezvous meet and greet for everyone on the 3rd/4th August at the BIG4 Port Douglas Glengarry Holiday Park?

The following are the site costs;

1. Unpowered site $34.00 per night.

2. Powered site with concrete slab: $44.00.

3. Powered site with en-suite $54.00

Group 1 participants will be departing on the the morning of the 4th August for the Lions Den overnight stop.

Group 2 participants will be leaving on the morning of the 5th August for the Lions Den overnight stop.

Group I participants will be 24hrs (1 day ahead of group 2 for this trip, however we will all be Rendezvous at Punsand Bay resort camp ground.)

Lions Den hotel campground fees are;

1. Un-powered site Adult $10 per person Children $6 (Under 6 FREE)

2. Powered site Adult $26 (1- 2 people) Children $9 (Under 6 FREE)

Up date! We do not need to book for un-powered sites at the Lions Den campground, however we definitively need to book for powered sites, due to the small number of sites available. PLEASE ADVISE ME ASAP IF YOU NEED A POWERED SITE!

As previously advised, note, that this is peak season time up at Cape York! Please, get back to me ASAP!

Regards,

RLI

lorrieandjas
21st January 2013, 11:11 AM
Hi Paul - I will go unpowered - need a grass site. Will give you a call (at a more reasonable hour! :)) today.

Jas

jack
21st January 2013, 11:15 AM
Hi Paul, PM sent. After powered site for two nights, we'll arrive a day early.

lorrieandjas
21st January 2013, 01:54 PM
Hi all - the list has just been updated again:

GROUP 1
1.RLI (Paul)
2.Apollofish (Jack)
3.Bryce (Bryce)
4.sparra04 (Ian)
5.lorrieandjas/Jase (Jason)
6.nissannewby (Mat)
7.GU CAMPER (Andy)
8.scottybobcat (Scotty)

GROUP 2
9.Joshman (Josh)
10.Joshman Friend (Tony)
12.Luke91 (Luke)
13.Jason-D40 (Jason)
14.Jason-D40 (Allan)
15.Jason-D40 (Friend)
16.Zanick (James)

Jas

PMC
21st January 2013, 02:19 PM
G'day Trendsetters,

I need to know ASAP a head count of how many people are in you party; ie RLI's party my daughter, my father and me = 3. I need this information for camp site bookings!

Also could you please what type of site you require for the initial Rendezvous meet and greet for everyone on the 3rd/4th August at the BIG4 Port Douglas Glengarry Holiday Park?

Group 1 participants will be departing on the the morning of the 4th August for the Lions Den overnight stop.

Group 2 participants will be leaving on the morning of the 5th August for the Lions Den overnight stop.

Group I participants will be 24hrs (1 day ahead of group 2 for this trip, however we will all be Rendezvous at Punsand Bay resort camp ground.)

Up date! We do not need to book for un-powered sites at the Lions Den campground, however we definitively need to book for powered sites, due to the small number of sites available. PLEASE ADVISE ME ASAP IF YOU NEED A POWERED SITE!

As previously advised, note, that this is peak season time up at Cape York! Please, get back to me ASAP!

GROUP 1
1.RLI (Paul) Powered site requirements!
2.Apollofish (Jack) Powered site requirements!
3.Bryce (Bryce)
4.sparra04 (Ian)
5.lorrieandjas/Jase (Jason) Un-powered sites required!
6.nissannewby (Mat)
7.GU CAMPER (Andy)
8.scottybobcat (Scotty)

GROUP 2
9.Joshman (Josh) Un-powered sites required!
10.Joshman Friend (Tony) Un-powered sites required!
12.Luke91 (Luke)
13.Jason-D40 (Jason)
14.Jason-D40 (Allan)
15.Jason-D40 (Friend)
16.Zanick (James)

Please remember that you have until the end of this month to confirm as a DEFINITE. Good luck!

Regards,

RLI

lorrieandjas
21st January 2013, 02:24 PM
Hi Paul - travelling with Loren and the twin girls. Might be a possibility of travelling with my sons as well - but will know next week. At this stage please book for 2 adults and 2 babies (they're under 4! :)).

Jas

PMC
21st January 2013, 02:47 PM
G'day Trendsetters,

I need to know ASAP a head count of how many people are in you party; ie RLI's party my daughter, my father and me = 3. I need this information for camp site bookings!

Also could you please what type of site you require for the initial Rendezvous meet and greet for everyone on the 3rd/4th August at the BIG4 Port Douglas Glengarry Holiday Park?

GROUP 1

1.RLI (Paul) Powered site requirements! 2 x Adults 1 x Child! = 3 x participants!
2.Apollofish (Jack) Powered site requirements! 2 x Adults = 2 x participants!
3.Bryce (Bryce) Un-powered sites required! 2 x Adults = 2 x participants!
4.sparra04 (Ian) Powered site requirements! for 2 nights! 2 x Adults 1 x Child = 3 x participants!
5.lorrieandjas/Jase (Jason) Un-powered sites required! 2 x Adults 2 x Children = 4 x participants!
6.nissannewby (Mat) Un-powered site required! 1 x Adult = 1 x participant!
7.GU CAMPER (Andy) Un-powered site required! 1 x Adult = 1 x participant!
8.scottybobcat (Scotty) 1 X Adult 1 x child = 2 x participants

GROUP 2
9.Joshman (Josh) Un-powered sites required! 2 x Adults = 2 x participants!
10.Joshman Frien (Tony) Un-powered sites required!
12.Luke91 (Luke)
13.Jason-D40 (Jason)
14.Jason-D40 (Allan)
15.Jason-D40 (Friend)
16.Zanick (James)

Regards,

RLI

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Port Douglas and Lions Den now booked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !! Margie from BIG 4 Port Douglas Glengarry Holiday Park has decided to give all members of this trip 10% off there site fees!

lorrieandjas
21st January 2013, 04:48 PM
Hi mate! Great work - thanks for sorting that! Only 192 sleeps to go! :)

Jas

GU CAMPER
21st January 2013, 05:46 PM
Thanks for sorting all that out Paul
That's very nice of them to give us all a discount at Port Douglas Big 4
Can't wait to leave

PMC
21st January 2013, 08:32 PM
Can't wait to leave

G'evening GU Camper,

Not a problem mate!

Regards,

RLI

PMC
21st January 2013, 08:32 PM
Can't wait to leave

G'evening GU Camper,

Not a problem mate!

Regards,

RLI

PMC
21st January 2013, 08:34 PM
Proposed Cape York Plan (A) Itinerary August 2013

Day 1 Date: 4th August. Time: Anytime.

Rendezvous meet and greet for everyone:
BIG 4 Port Douglas Glengarry Holiday Park. We can do all our supplies shopping at the local Coles supermarket in Port Douglas and the various other retail outlets. This is the last stop for discounted Beer & wine and soft drinks for the children. We can have a slap up B/Q at the Camp kitchen area whilst the children play in the pool area. Time-out to conduct our last vehicle tweaks before Group 1 departs the next morning. Group 2 departs on the morning of the 6th August.

Day 2 Date 5th August. Departure time: 8.00am

We head from Port Douglas to Daintree River crossing taking in the Daintree National Park, stopping at the various look-out locations for photos. Lunch at Thornton beach then we travel to Cape Tribulation for that famous snap of the rainforest to the sea shot. Then we head via the Bloomfield track to the Lion’s Den Hotel.

Day 3 Date 6th August. Departure time: 9.00am

Lion’s Den Hotel to Kalpower Crossing Campground via Battlecamp Rd;
Taking in the Lakefield National Park, swimming stops at both Endeavour Falls and Isabella Falls, lunch at Old Laura home stead. Travel to Kalpower Crossing set-up camp.

Day 4 Date 7th August. Departure time: 8.00am
Kalpower Crossing to Weipa via the PDR (Peninsular Development Road);
Taking in Coen and Archer River, we have lunch at Archer River and a quick dip in the various waterholes. Continuing 150ks travel to Weipa and set up camp at the Weipa Camping Ground. Powered and un-powered sites available, good shade, brilliant fishing and we can also hire a boat here.

Day 5 Date 8th August. Wake-up anytime you like!

Weipa day 2!
Organise a Mine and Town tour of Weipa, Fishing & crabbing or more sight-seeing! Rest and relax Trendsetters!

Day 6 Date 9th August. Departure time: 9.00am

Weipa to Bramwell Junction via both the PDR (Peninsular Development Road) and the Telegraph Road;
We travel from Weipa to Bramwell Junction stoping at Moreton Telegraph station for lunch. We then travel 40ks to Bramwell Junction and set-up camp. Then we will carry-out a recce of the Old Telegraph Track and check-out Palm Creek the first crossing.

Day 7 Date 10th August Departure time: 7.00am

Bramwell Junction to the Elliot Falls camp ground via the Old Telegraph Track.
The first crossing (Palm creek) this is a pisser, steep ruttered out on entry and an absolute bog-hole on the departure side of the creek requiring snatching and winching. (I am getting a hard-on just thinking about the Tele-Track, oops sorry about that Trendsetters!) from Palm Creek the next crossing is Ducie Creek, (time for a quick wash and cool down after being knackered from the exhausting recovery session at Palm Creek.) 10 klicks later we hit Alice Creek (easy crossing) Punching and battering are way on we then arrive at the Dulhunty River time for a coffee/tea break and a swim (always been mindful of those long tailed, four legged, leather snapping suit-cases that lurk about). We then head for Bertie Creek (here we to watch out for deep holes in the rocky bottom other-wise easy.) Continuing on, the track narrows to the famous Gunshot crossing. (My advice here is we take one of the chicken tracks. It’s not worth damaging your pride and joy) Lunch stop at the Gunshot, pull out the deck chairs and watch the number of dick-brains that engage the crossing (fun to watch.) Next is Cockatoo Creek (rocky bottom, watch-out for the large pot-holes) finally Sailor Creek (wooden bridge) late afternoon swim at the magnificent Fruit Bat Falls. If we cannot get a camp at Elliot falls camp ground about 10ks away. We will then set–up camp at Canal Creek, just another 6 ks further north (pristine safe swimming for the children and of course the adults!) My family and I spent two days here in 2011 that was fantastic. We will set up camp on the north side bank of Canal Creek. Shit, shave, swim and shampoo followed by a good feed and a couple of track driving stress relive beverages, then a good bullshit session. (By now we should be well and truly be getting into the swing of things! Ye-haa baby bring in on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Day 8 Date 11th August Wake-up anytime you like!

Elliot Falls/Fruit bat falls and Canal creek!
Folks, this is where Group 1 and Group 2 will first meet up on Group 1’s second day at Elliot falls camp ground! Rest and relax Trendsetters! Explore these lovely falls and Creeks or just soak up the atmosphere of the adventure just travelled! Compare the first half of the Telegraph track adventures between Group 1 and Group 2. Then we can all gather around the camp-fire together and sing songs. lol

Day 9 Date 12th August Departure time: 8.00am

Elliot Falls or Canal Creek camp ground to Punsand Bay Camping Resort via the Northern section of the Old Telegraph Track.
After breakfast another quick swim before heading on the Tele track, off-roading with serve bulges in our pants! The first crossing of the morning is Sam Creek (Sandy bottom, easy crossing) then followed by Mistake Creek (Steep eroded shit hole departure and can be boggy due to volume of traffic, otherwise an easy crossing) next is Cannibal Creek (steep entry and departure, we will watch out for the wash-out on departure section of the bank) Then comes Cypress Creek (we will have to be careful with our wheel placement over the old rooted/farked wooden bridge, we just spot one another across) next is Logan Creek ( a bit swampy otherwise an easy crossing) finally the granddaddy Nolan’s Broke ( in 2011 over 30 vehicle’s shit the whiskers at this crossing lounge lizards, steep drop into water, this is the deepest crossing on the Telegraph track, by the time we get here in August the water level should be low. We will have a coffee or cup of tea and watch the others cross first, we will get someone to walk it first, (Scott Thomas and Sparra can act as decoys to slow down the crocs, whilst the rest of us cross safely! lol) If it is still deep, this is where we break-out the 4x4 bra or drop sheets to put over the front of our vehicles, second low gently pushing our way through getting a bow wave going, a snorkel is a must have item on this crossing folks.) We then take track on the left to the Northern Bypass Road to the Jardine River crossing. We then travel the remaining 50ks to Bamaga (this was the worst section of road for corrugation’s.) One hour later arrive at Bamaga. Travel into the main street for supplies at the supermarket and the pub for coldies. We can then get fuel-up at the BP servo on the outskirts of town towards Punsand Bay Resort. After refuelling then travel another 24ks north to Punsand Bay Resort. We have made it, you off-road lounge lizards!

Day 10 Date 13th August. Wake-up anytime you like!

Punsand Bay Camping Resort to Cape York (the tip) yee-haa baby, we have done it!
We travel 9ks to the car park at the Tip (take drinks and good joggers/sand-shoes for the walk up and over the rocks whilst walking to the tip, get that famous photo) pack a lunch and soak up the experience for the morning. We will then head back to camp whilst checking out the various WW2 aircraft wrecks sites scattered around the Cape.

Day 11 Date 14th August. Wake-up anytime you like!

For those that want to, travel by boat to Thursday Island and do a bit of sightseeing! For others, do want ever takes your fancy. Personally, I will be fishing and crabbing with my father and daughter!

Day 12 Date 15th August. Wake-up anytime you like!

Punsand Bay day three!
Fishing & crabbing or 4x4 track driving the various tracks or more sight-seeing!

Day 13 Date 16th August. Departure time: 8.00am

We then travel south back to Jardine River crossing, from their travel another 27ks then turn right heading west towards the coast. About 4ks in we will cross an old log bridge over Crystal Creek, morning tea brake and time to cool off and take a dip in Crystal creek. (This is another old dilapidated farked bridge.) We then travel another 23ks until we come to a junction, we turn right and head north up the beach about 8ks until we come to an old light house ship wreck. Great camping and fishing around here. We can set-up camp and cast a few lures or baits into the waters and catch dinner.

Day 14 Date 17th August Wake-up anytime you-like!

Vrilya Point day 2!
Wake up to the spectacular sunrise and start fishing or just explore the region. A good feed followed by several fishing relive beverages whilst watching again the beautiful sunset.

Day 15 Date 18th August Departure time: 8.00am

Vrilya Point to Lockhart River via both Northern and Southern Bypass Road;
Have breakfast after waking up to another spectacular sunrise, conduct vehicle checks and travel back to Northern Bypass Road and head south to an intersection and turn left into the Frenchman’s track turn off; this is about 2ks north of Batavia Downs home stead. We then travel about 36ks until we come to the dreaded Pascoe River crossing, (we will take care when crossing the Pascoe River, she can be at times fast flowing and deep, This where we get Scott Thomas and Sparra to walk the crossing first, both steep approach and departure angles.) After crossing the Pascoe, lunch stop. We will then travel about another 16ks to the Mt Tozer look-out. Then travel to Lockhart River and set-up camp either here or travel another 20ks to Chili Beach camp ground.

Day 16 Date 19th August. Wake-up anytime you-like!

Chili Beach/Lockhart River day 2
Explore the region or just fish the area which is fantastic. Relax and have a few coldies and watch the spectacular sunset or do a bit of fishing!

Day 17 Date 20th August Wake-up anytime you-like!
Lockhart River to Hann River Roadhouse via both the Portland and the Peninsula Development Roads;
Travel 100ks via Portland Road to the Peninsula Development Road turn off, turn left and head 36ks to Archer River Roadhouse for a lunch stop. Travel 235ks from Archer River Roadhouse down the Peninsula Development Road to Hann River Roadhouse and set-up camp. After travelling the bumpy, dusty corrugated road time to shit, shave, shower and shampoo followed by another great feed forced down with numerous amounts of Peninsular Development Road 4x4 driving stress relive beverages, followed by, (you guessed it) another bullshit session.

Day 18 Date 21st August. Departure time: 8.00am

Hann River Roadhouse to Lion’s Den hotel the Peninsula Development Road;
Travel 138ks from Hann River Roadhouse to Lakeland for morning tea stop. We then travel to the Lion’s Den hotel. Set-up camp and dream about the next day!

Day 19 Date 22nd August Departure time: 8.00am

Lion’s Den hotel to Lion’s Den hotel via the CREB Track!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Travel 200ks doing a lope from the Lion’s Den hotel back to the hotel via the Creb Track. We are going to do this twice trendsetters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are going over the track backwards. Then we are turning around and heading back over again. This time you can brag to folks that you really did do the Creb Track! However, this will be determined by the weather and by the track condition. An alternative will be going back over the Bloomfield Track and then into the town of Daintree and then over the Creb Track back to the Lion’s Den hotel for that Yeeeee-Haa baby, I did it feeling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Day 20 Date 23rd August Departure anytime you want!

Travel from the Lion’s Den Hotel to either Port Douglas or Cairns via either the Bloomfield Track or via Mulligan Hwy and the Kennedy Hwy;
This where our journey ends!

This is one of those once in life time experiences Trendsetters, if you see an opportunity in life like travelling on the old Telegraph track, Frenchman’s or the Creb Track (“folks you just have to farken go for it”.) Folks, you do not need to complete any difficult stages of the track, if it is going to compromise the safety of your family or damage your vehicle!!! We will not be doing it!

As previously stated; there is a farken Cock-Head Tree outside the front of Bramwell Junction roadhouse for all those cock-heads and dick-brains that wrecked their vehicles on the tele-track due to stupidity. Their number plates hang of this tree as to a reminder to everyone to take it easy.

Group 1 trip dates are from the 4th August to 23rd August 2013 20 day trip from Port Douglas to Cape York and back to Port Douglas.

Group 2 trip dates are from the 5th August to 24th August 2013 for your trip!

For safety reasons, allow 8 days return travel to and from Port Douglas for folks living in Victory, NSW and 5 days return for folks living in Brisbane Qld!

LATEST-UP DATE!

G'day Trendsetters,

Also could you please what type of site you require for the initial Rendezvous meet and greet for everyone on the 3rd/4th August at the BIG 4 Port Douglas Glengarry Holiday Park?

GROUP 1

1.RLI (Paul) Powered site requirements! 2 x Adults 1 x Child! = 3 x participants!
2.Apollofish (Jack) Powered site requirements! 2 x Adults = 2 x participants!
3.Bryce (Bryce) Un-powered sites required! 2 x Adults = 2 x participants!
4.sparra04 (Ian) Powered site requirements! for 2 nights! 2 x Adults 1 x Child = 3 x participants!
5.lorrieandjas/Jase (Jason) Un-powered sites required! 2 x Adults 2 x Children = 4 x participants!
6.nissannewby (Mat) Un-powered site required! 1 x Adult = 1 x participant!
7.GU CAMPER (Andy) Un-powered site required! 1 x Adult = 1 x participant!
8.scottybobcat (Scotty) 1 X Adult 1 x child = 2 x participants

GROUP 2

9.Joshman (Josh) Un-powered sites required! 2 x Adults = 2 x participants!
10.Joshman Frien (Tony) Un-powered sites required!
11.Gunning1987 (Not provided)
12.Luke91 (Luke) Un-powered sites required! 2 x Adults = 2 x participants!
13.Jason-D40 (Jason)
14.Jason-D40 (Allan)
15.Jason-D40 (Friend)
16.Zanick (James) Un-powered sites required! 2 x Adults 3 x Children = 5 x participants!

Regards,

RLI

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Port Douglas and Lions Den now booked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !! Margie from BIG 4 Port Douglas Glengarry Holiday Park has decided to give all members of this trip 10% off there site fees!

PMC
23rd January 2013, 09:23 PM
Proposed Cape York Plan (A) Itinerary August 2013

Day 1 Date: 4th August. Time: Anytime.

Rendezvous meet and greet for everyone:
BIG 4 Port Douglas Glengarry Holiday Park. We can do all our supplies shopping at the local Coles supermarket in Port Douglas and the various other retail outlets. This is the last stop for discounted Beer & wine and soft drinks for the children. We can have a slap up B/Q at the Camp kitchen area whilst the children play in the pool area. Time-out to conduct our last vehicle tweaks before Group 1 departs the next morning. Group 2 departs on the morning of the 6th August.

Day 2 Date 5th August. Departure time: 8.00am

We head from Port Douglas to Daintree River crossing taking in the Daintree National Park, stopping at the various look-out locations for photos. Lunch at Thornton beach then we travel to Cape Tribulation for that famous snap of the rainforest to the sea shot. Then we head via the Bloomfield track to the Lion’s Den Hotel.

Day 3 Date 6th August. Departure time: 9.00am

Lion’s Den Hotel to Kalpower Crossing Campground via Battlecamp Rd;
Taking in the Lakefield National Park, swimming stops at both Endeavour Falls and Isabella Falls, lunch at Old Laura home stead. Travel to Kalpower Crossing set-up camp.

Day 4 Date 7th August. Departure time: 8.00am
Kalpower Crossing to Weipa via the PDR (Peninsular Development Road);
Taking in Coen and Archer River, we have lunch at Archer River and a quick dip in the various waterholes. Continuing 150ks travel to Weipa and set up camp at the Weipa Camping Ground. Powered and un-powered sites available, good shade, brilliant fishing and we can also hire a boat here.

Day 5 Date 8th August. Wake-up anytime you like!

Weipa day 2!
Organise a Mine and Town tour of Weipa, Fishing & crabbing or more sight-seeing! Rest and relax Trendsetters!

Day 6 Date 9th August. Departure time: 9.00am

We travel from Weipa to Bramwell Junction stoping at Moreton Telegraph station for lunch. We then travel 40ks to Bramwell Junction and set-up camp. Then we will carry-out a recce of the Old Telegraph Track and check-out Palm Creek the first crossing.

Day 7 Date 10th August Departure time: 7.00am

Bramwell Junction to the Elliot Falls camp ground via the Old Telegraph Track.
The first crossing (Palm creek) this is a pisser, steep ruttered out on entry and an absolute bog-hole on the departure side of the creek requiring snatching and winching. (I am getting a hard-on just thinking about the Tele-Track, oops sorry about that Trendsetters!) from Palm Creek the next crossing is Ducie Creek, (time for a quick wash and cool down after being knackered from the exhausting recovery session at Palm Creek.) 10 klicks later we hit Alice Creek (easy crossing) Punching and battering are way on we then arrive at the Dulhunty River time for a coffee/tea break and a swim (always been mindful of those long tailed, four legged, leather snapping suit-cases that lurk about). We then head for Bertie Creek (here we to watch out for deep holes in the rocky bottom other-wise easy.) Continuing on, the track narrows to the famous Gunshot crossing. (My advice here is we take one of the chicken tracks. It’s not worth damaging your pride and joy) Lunch stop at the Gunshot, pull out the deck chairs and watch the number of dick-brains that engage the crossing (fun to watch.) Next is Cockatoo Creek (rocky bottom, watch-out for the large pot-holes) finally Sailor Creek (wooden bridge) late afternoon swim at the magnificent Fruit Bat Falls. If we cannot get a camp at Elliot falls camp ground about 10ks away. We will then set–up camp at Canal Creek, just another 6 ks further north (pristine safe swimming for the children and of course the adults!) My family and I spent two days here in 2011 that was fantastic. We will set up camp on the north side bank of Canal Creek. Shit, shave, swim and shampoo followed by a good feed and a couple of track driving stress relive beverages, then a good bullshit session. (By now we should be well and truly be getting into the swing of things! Ye-haa baby bring in on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Day 8 Date 11th August Wake-up anytime you like!

Elliot Falls/Fruit bat falls and Canal creek!
Folks, this is where Group 1 and Group 2 will first meet up on Group 1’s second day at Elliot falls camp ground! Rest and relax Trendsetters! Explore these lovely falls and Creeks or just soak up the atmosphere of the adventure just travelled! Compare the first half of the Telegraph track adventures between Group 1 and Group 2. Then we can all gather around the camp-fire together and sing songs. lol

Day 9 Date 12th August Departure time: 8.00am

Elliot Falls or Canal Creek camp ground to Punsand Bay Camping Resort via the Northern section of the Old Telegraph Track.
After breakfast another quick swim before heading on the Tele track, off-roading with serve bulges in our pants! The first crossing of the morning is Sam Creek (Sandy bottom, easy crossing) then followed by Mistake Creek (Steep eroded shit hole departure and can be boggy due to volume of traffic, otherwise an easy crossing) next is Cannibal Creek (steep entry and departure, we will watch out for the wash-out on departure section of the bank) Then comes Cypress Creek (we will have to be careful with our wheel placement over the old rooted/farked wooden bridge, we just spot one another across) next is Logan Creek ( a bit swampy otherwise an easy crossing) finally the granddaddy Nolan’s Broke ( in 2011 over 30 vehicle’s shit the whiskers at this crossing lounge lizards, steep drop into water, this is the deepest crossing on the Telegraph track, by the time we get here in August the water level should be low. We will have a coffee or cup of tea and watch the others cross first, we will get someone to walk it first, (Scott Thomas and Sparra can act as decoys to slow down the crocs, whilst the rest of us cross safely! lol) If it is still deep, this is where we break-out the 4x4 bra or drop sheets to put over the front of our vehicles, second low gently pushing our way through getting a bow wave going, a snorkel is a must have item on this crossing folks.) We then take track on the left to the Northern Bypass Road to the Jardine River crossing. We then travel the remaining 50ks to Bamaga (this was the worst section of road for corrugation’s.) One hour later arrive at Bamaga. Travel into the main street for supplies at the supermarket and the pub for coldies. We can then get fuel-up at the BP servo on the outskirts of town towards Punsand Bay Resort. After refuelling then travel another 24ks north to Punsand Bay Resort. We have made it, you off-road lounge lizards!

Day 10 Date 13th August. Wake-up anytime you like!

Punsand Bay Camping Resort to Cape York (the tip) yee-haa baby, we have done it!
We travel 9ks to the car park at the Tip (take drinks and good joggers/sand-shoes for the walk up and over the rocks whilst walking to the tip, get that famous photo) pack a lunch and soak up the experience for the morning. We will then head back to camp whilst checking out the various WW2 aircraft wrecks sites scattered around the Cape.

Day 11 Date 14th August. Wake-up anytime you like!

For those that want to, travel by boat to Thursday Island and do a bit of sightseeing! For others, do want ever takes your fancy. Personally, I will be fishing and crabbing with my father and daughter!

Day 12 Date 15th August. Wake-up anytime you like!

Punsand Bay day three!
Fishing & crabbing or 4x4 track driving the various tracks or more sight-seeing!

Day 13 Date 16th August. Departure time: 8.00am

We then travel south back to Jardine River crossing, from their travel another 27ks then turn right heading west towards the coast. About 4ks in we will cross an old log bridge over Crystal Creek, morning tea brake and time to cool off and take a dip in Crystal creek. (This is another old dilapidated farked bridge.) We then travel another 23ks until we come to a junction, we turn right and head north up the beach about 8ks until we come to an old light house ship wreck. Great camping and fishing around here. We can set-up camp and cast a few lures or baits into the waters and catch dinner.

Day 14 Date 17th August Wake-up anytime you-like!

Vrilya Point day 2!
Wake up to the spectacular sunrise and start fishing or just explore the region. A good feed followed by several fishing relive beverages whilst watching again the beautiful sunset.

Day 15 Date 18th August Departure time: 8.00am

Vrilya Point to Lockhart River via both Northern and Southern Bypass Road;
Have breakfast after waking up to another spectacular sunrise, conduct vehicle checks and travel back to Northern Bypass Road and head south to an intersection and turn left into the Frenchman’s track turn off; this is about 2ks north of Batavia Downs home stead. We then travel about 36ks until we come to the dreaded Pascoe River crossing, (we will take care when crossing the Pascoe River, she can be at times fast flowing and deep, This where we get Scott Thomas and Sparra to walk the crossing first, both steep approach and departure angles.) After crossing the Pascoe, lunch stop. We will then travel about another 16ks to the Mt Tozer look-out. Then travel to Lockhart River and set-up camp either here or travel another 20ks to Chili Beach camp ground.

Day 16 Date 19th August. Wake-up anytime you-like!

Chili Beach/Lockhart River day 2
Explore the region or just fish the area which is fantastic. Relax and have a few coldies and watch the spectacular sunset or do a bit of fishing!

Day 17 Date 20th August Wake-up anytime you-like!
Lockhart River to Hann River Roadhouse via both the Portland and the Peninsula Development Roads;

Day 18 Date 21st August. Departure time: 8.00am

Hann River Roadhouse to Lion’s Den hotel the Peninsula Development Road;
Travel 138ks from Hann River Roadhouse to Lakeland for morning tea stop. We then travel to the Lion’s Den hotel. Set-up camp and dream about the next day!

Day 19 Date 22nd August Departure time: 8.00am

Lion’s Den hotel to Lion’s Den hotel via the CREB Track!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Travel 200ks doing a lope from the Lion’s Den hotel back to the hotel via the Creb Track. We are going to do this twice trendsetters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are going over the track backwards. Then we are turning around and heading back over again. This time you can brag to folks that you really did do the Creb Track! However, this will be determined by the weather and by the track condition. An alternative will be going back over the Bloomfield Track and then into the town of Daintree and then over the Creb Track back to the Lion’s Den hotel for that Yeeeee-Haa baby, I did it feeling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Day 20 Date 23rd August Departure anytime you want!

Travel from the Lion’s Den Hotel to either Port Douglas or Cairns via either the Bloomfield Track or via Mulligan Hwy and the Kennedy Hwy;
This where our journey ends!

This is one of those once in life time experiences Trendsetters, if you see an opportunity in life like travelling on the old Telegraph track, Frenchman’s or the Creb Track (“folks you just have to farken go for it”.) Folks, you do not need to complete any difficult stages of the track, if it is going to compromise the safety of your family or damage your vehicle!!! We will not be doing it!

As previously stated; there is a farken Cock-Head Tree outside the front of Bramwell Junction roadhouse for all those cock-heads and dick-brains that wrecked their vehicles on the tele-track due to stupidity. Their number plates hang of this tree as to a reminder to everyone to take it easy.

Group 1 trip dates are from the 4th August to 23rd August 2013 20 day trip from Port Douglas to Cape York and back to Port Douglas.

Group 2 trip dates are from the 5th August to 24th August 2013 for your trip!

For safety reasons, allow 8 days return travel to and from Port Douglas for folks living in Victory, NSW and 5 days return for folks living in Brisbane Qld!

PMC
23rd January 2013, 10:20 PM
G'evening folks!

Could you please advise of what your accommodation choice is when we travel up to the Cape? Ie - are you tenting, back of car, swag, camper, caravan, etc? I need to know for Qld Parks and Wildlife with regards to availability of sites!

Regards,

RLI

PMC
25th January 2013, 05:33 PM
G'day Trendsetters!

Just to up date the group! Due to the reduced numbers, we will be travelling as one group.

Please do not financially burden yourself with this trip, this trip is not a cheap trip! We will be travelling over 7,500ks.

1. Your fuel bill will cost between $2,000.00 and $2,400.00 on average fully loaded the Navaras will use between 12/13lt's per 100ks (not towing a camper trailer.) Towing you will use between 16/17lts. My last trip to the Cape (2011) driving a D40 towing a Jayco Camper trailer fully loaded, i used 16 litres per 100ks. The average cost of fuel for your trip will be around $1.80.. Around the cities $1.55. up at the Cape $2.20.

2. Your accommodation costs for the trip ie (2 x Adults and one child)will be between $700.00 and $900.00 for (2 Adults only) between $500 and $700.00 for (1 Adult only) between $300 and $400.

3. Meals allow $15.00 per head per day for supermarket and meat from the butchers stocked in your fridge. Allow 20 days at $15.00 per head = $300.00. Four night's out on the town at $50.00 per head for adults and $15.00 per child. Will = an extra $200.00 per adult meaning your meal costs will be between $500.00 and $600.00 per Adult. Children between $200.00 and $300.00 per child. Your total meal cost's for the trip ie (2 x Adults and one child)will be between $1,200 and $1,500. for (2 Adults only) between $1,000 and $1,200. for (1 Adult only) between $500 and $600.

4. Sundries alcohol, ice creams, souvenirs, tours and boat hire for fishing allow $200.00 per adult $125.00 per child

5. Ferry cost's per vehicle ie Daintree and the Jardine river $125.00

Total cost of trip ie (2 x Adults and one child)will be between $4,500 and $5,000. for (2 Adults only) between $3,000 and $4,000. for (1 Adult only) between $3,000 and $3,500.

Also allow around $1,000 on your credit card or bank account for any emergencies!

Folks, once again! please do not financially stretch yourself for this trip! There is also next year or the year after! This is not a cheap trip!

For the latest info please regularly check into the website that Jas has set-up for all the folks that are part of the Cape York 2013 trip! All the latest camp site and track info will be made available on that site! Once again a special thanks goes out for Jas for his professionalism in helping me organise this trip for you all!

Regards,

RLI

PMC
30th January 2013, 08:24 PM
G'day lounge lizards!

Here is a couple of photo's of when i did the Cape in 1984 with the Army!

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u434/RLI1/RLI%20OFF-ROAD%20Adventures/IMG_1670.jpg

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u434/RLI1/RLI%20OFF-ROAD%20Adventures/IMG_1669.jpg

PS, i am wearing the white hat. lol, hey'' it was all the farking rage out bush 28 years ago. lol! Note, we did it with bar treads, not BF Goodrich, Coopers or Mickey Thompson tyres or Mud tyres, just plain old Dunlop bar tread tyres!

Regards,

RLI

Lonicus
31st January 2013, 06:14 AM
Love the Japanese safety boots there too mate :)

PMC
31st January 2013, 09:28 PM
Love the Japanese safety boots there too mate :)

Mate, those were the days!

Regards,

RLI

shanemma
1st March 2013, 08:49 PM
Hi mate I'm also planning a trip to the cape at
This time.theres myself my uncle and a mate
We are driving a new cruiser and will be fully self
Sufficient. Would be keen on having a chat to meet up on
The track.

Ben81C
9th March 2013, 11:02 PM
Myself and my cousin have august booked of already for the same trip. Only it'll be both of our first pilgrimage to the tip. Absolutely cannot wait. It would be good to go up in a group, both of us will be in very well equipped forbies and are mad keen fishermen, not taking a boat as we plan on doing the tough tracks, drop me a reply if you are up for extending the group.

PMC
18th March 2013, 08:28 PM
G'evening fellow Cape York travelers!

Just a reminder 5 MONTHS AND COUNTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yehaa baby!

Regards,

RLI

jack
3rd April 2013, 10:48 AM
Hello fellow travelers.
Been a bit quiet on here lately, means we are either all ready or to busy preparing to post. (I'm one of the latter..........)
For me it's 3 MONTHS before I start my trip, 4 MONTHS before we meet up in Port Douglas. It's starting to get colder down here so I'm ready to get moving and met up with you all.

PMC
9th April 2013, 12:44 PM
Hello fellow travelers.
Been a bit quiet on here lately, means we are either all ready or to busy preparing to post. (I'm one of the latter..........)
For me it's 3 MONTHS before I start my trip, 4 MONTHS before we meet up in Port Douglas. It's starting to get colder down here so I'm ready to get moving and met up with you all.

Good onya Jack!

4 months and counting!

Regards,

RLI

NP99
11th April 2013, 05:21 PM
G'day lounge lizards!

Here is a couple of photo's of when i did the Cape in 1984 with the Army!

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u434/RLI1/RLI%20OFF-ROAD%20Adventures/IMG_1670.jpg

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u434/RLI1/RLI%20OFF-ROAD%20Adventures/IMG_1669.jpg

PS, i am wearing the white hat. lol, hey'' it was all the farking rage out bush 28 years ago. lol! Note, we did it with bar treads, not BF Goodrich, Coopers or Mickey Thompson tyres or Mud tyres, just plain old Dunlop bar tread tyres!

Regards,

RLI

And taking the glass out of the doors once we got clear of civilisation :)

PMC
11th April 2013, 05:38 PM
And taking the glass out of the doors once we got clear of civilisation :)

Ahh they were the good ol days! lol

Regards,

RLI

PMC
16th April 2013, 12:11 PM
G'day trendsetters,

How is everyone going with there vehicle and camper trailer/tent/accommodation requirements for our Aug Cape York trip?

I am curious to view photos of your vehicle set-up and your accommodation set-up! Also share with us photos of your mods for the trip!

PS, 3 AND BIT MONTHS AND COUNTING!

Regards,

RLI

jack
16th April 2013, 12:21 PM
Slowly getting there fellow travelers.

Definite to do list:
Purchase two batteries
Sort electric brakes issue
Fix two fly-screens
Add a couple of more LED's
Sterilize water tanks

Maybe to do list:
Remove 3way fridge - Put Engel (freezer) in it's place as I'm told standard Dometic fridge is not to flash (any thoughts anyone?)
Consider not taking the BBQ and gas bottle
Remove flip up cupboard
Get fit again

lorrieandjas
16th April 2013, 01:34 PM
Slowly getting there fellow travelers.

Definite to do list:
Purchase two batteries
Sort electric brakes issue
Fix two fly-screens
Add a couple of more LED's
Sterilize water tanks

Maybe to do list:
Remove 3way fridge - Put Engel (freezer) in it's place as I'm told standard Dometic fridge is not to flash (any thoughts anyone?)
Consider not taking the BBQ and gas bottle
Remove flip up cupboard
Get fit again

Hi Jack - I have no issues with Dometic. Different people will have different experiences and thoughts (Dometic make Waeco and I personally use them!).

How did you sterilise your tanks - tablets?

Jas

jack
16th April 2013, 03:50 PM
Hi Jack - I have no issues with Dometic. Different people will have different experiences and thoughts (Dometic make Waeco and I personally use them!).
How did you sterilise your tanks - tablets?

Hi Jas, yeah spoke with Paul earlier and he had the same views on the Dometic so that may save me a bit of work. Haven't sterilised the tanks yet, not sure what to use at this stage.

Anyone have any recommendations on fixing fly-screens? These have a couple of small tears just above and parallel to the stitching at the bottom. I considered putting on some waterproof tape but not sure how that will hold up in the heat. Also considering using some wetsuit repair glue, very strong and flexible. Open to ideas, I've checked the caravan forums etc.

Cheers
Jack

jack
16th April 2013, 03:59 PM
I am curious to view photos of your vehicle set-up and your accommodation set-up! Also share with us photos of your mods for the trip!

Hi Paul,

Here is the setup, car has had a lift kit and new shocks added since, also a treg hitch. Sits nice and level and looks much better now.

Cheers
Jack

PMC
20th April 2013, 05:41 PM
Hi Paul,

Here is the setup, car has had a lift kit and new shocks added since, also a treg hitch. Sits nice and level and looks much better now.

Cheers
Jack

G'day Jack,

Nice looking rig! Is your Jayco an Off-road model? What year is she?

Regards,

RLI

NP99
20th April 2013, 05:58 PM
Do you reckon the trip can be done with LPG/ULP?

PMC
21st April 2013, 01:13 PM
Do you reckon the trip can be done with LPG/ULP?

G'day NP99,

Not a problem mate! You can get LPG in Cooktown, i would be curious to know if you can get now in Weipa and Bamaga?

Two years ago you could not, however, with the amount of tourist flooding into Cape York every year, it will only be a matter of time that you will have LPG at the Top end! (supply and demand) the demand is there!

Regards,

RLI

NP99
21st April 2013, 05:03 PM
RLI
I'm sure you probably know this already, there is a Cape York forum, lots of good stuff there

http://www.capeyorkforums.com/forums/index.php?
Cheers

PMC
3rd June 2013, 11:42 AM
G'day folks,

It is regrettable that i have to announce that i will be unable to attend the Cape York trip in August 2013.

Folks, over the last 12 months i have been struggling to cope day to day with the chronic pain and discomfort caused by the perianal abscess in my bowel.

Unfortunately, some of the bloody abscesses have now turned into fistula's(holes inside the bowel lining.) My family and I have been advised, in order to completely remove the fistula's my surgeon may be required to cut the anal sphincter muscle. This creates a risk of permanent incontinence, resulting in the removal of the large bowel and anus and me then having to wear a permanent stoma-bag.(waste-bag)

On top of this problem, i have then been informed that i also suffer from Crohn's disease which is attacking the pelvic floor muscle. I have remicade infusions every six weeks at a cost of $4,400.00 a shot. so far i have had 11 shots. I have to have this treatment for the rest of my life.

A month ago i bent down to pick up my new-born son and damaged 3 discs in my low back. I have had two facet joint injections which have failed to relive my pain. I have now been informed that i will have to under go disc replacement surgery at Sydney's St Vincent’s Hospital in July. I am not a happy chappy!

I will be contacting Jas to see if we can organise a phone link-up with all those members going on the August Cape York trip so that we can make sure everyone is de-briefed and up-dated on the current circumstances.

Regards,

Paul

threedogs
3rd June 2013, 11:59 AM
Not good Paul , chin up you know I'm up for after hour talks.
More stength to you mate.

Stropp
3rd June 2013, 04:43 PM
Paul , I'm not one of the crew going but I am sure those that are will understand and sympathise with your situation mate, thing to do is get yourself well so you can tackle the cape at a later date. All the best to you and yours mate!

NP99
3rd June 2013, 05:10 PM
Mate, keep thinking positive stuff. Good things must come your way!

PMC
7th June 2013, 09:51 AM
G'day folks,

I wish I was going with you folks on this trip, however health issues have farked me.

However, the mission will go ahead without me and you folks as a group will have a life changing experience and many fantastic memories to share with family and friends over the years to come.

I am not going to desert you, i will be active in keeping in communications with you all from the time you leave until you all return home safely from your trip.

If any of the group require any equipment, ie recovery gear, winch, shovels, tools, gerry cans, toilet, Heavy Duty R&R Bead-breaker & Tyre Refitting Tool, anything. please ask and i will gladly lend it to you for your trip.

I have a spare Tigerz11 winch sitting at home ready to be used.

PS, I am here to help you all have a great trip to the Cape and back home!

Regards,

Paul (RLI)

GU CAMPER
7th June 2013, 02:11 PM
Hi Paul

Sorry to hear about your health

Wish you all the best with everything

Cheers Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PMC
12th June 2013, 04:53 PM
G'day Jas,

Can you please contact me tomorrow mate if possible?

Regards,

Paul

moseyroc
13th June 2013, 09:36 PM
Hey guys, I just joined the forum & originally posted a cape york query about others travelling in August. Cool photos posted from the 80's I see, my old man has a few from our stay up there 79-84 while he was a teacher/principal. Keen to see what the Wilburys final iteneration will be for the trip, hopefully we can catch up on the way

lorrieandjas
13th June 2013, 09:53 PM
Hey guys - my heart goes out to RLI and a couple of the other guys who have to drop out. Personally I've had some big things going on so been quiet here of late. Paul - will call tomorrow mate - and to all the other participants will be in touch in the next couple of days to confirm everything.

Jas

jack
13th June 2013, 09:56 PM
Hi moseyroc,
Check out this website, it has a link to our itinerary http://www.travellingwilburys2013.com.au/
Maybe we'll catch up along the way

lorrieandjas
13th June 2013, 09:57 PM
Hey Jack - you about for a call tomorrow?

Jas

jack
13th June 2013, 10:28 PM
Hey Jack - you about for a call tomorrow?

Jas
Hi Jas,
Must have missed your earlier post while I was replying to moseyroc. Yeap I'm around tomorrow, call anytime but leave a msg if I don't answer as I have a couple of conference calls.
Time is getting closer and just over four weeks to go before we head off, trying to get into wind down mode but work keeps interrupting. Catch you tomorrow.

PMC
23rd June 2013, 12:18 PM
G'day folks,

How are your preparations going so far for your trip?

Regards,

RLI

gavrober
2nd July 2013, 09:04 PM
G'day RLI,
Josh's dad here. really bad news about your health issues.

Josh is going great guns with prep. hardest decisions what to take/what to leave! apart from what we think we need (or might need) and what "toys" do we take? decisions, decisions, decisions. might need a trailer just for the 'stuff' - just joking - almost. we are both really looking forward to the end of July and catching up with others in port douglas and getting started.
cheers Victor

GU CAMPER
3rd July 2013, 06:54 AM
Slowly getting everything prepared.

jack
17th July 2013, 11:16 PM
Hi Guys,

Just an update on this trip.
Unfortunatly Jas won't be making it so that means RLI, Nissannewby & Lorrieandjas from this forum won't we going.
Big THANKS to Paul & Jas for starting this and I'm sure they'll miss the trip as much as we'll miss them, I was certainly looking forward to meeting them and listening to some of Pauls stories. We now have 8 vehicles going I'm sure we'll make the most of this trip and looking forward to meeting everyone at Port Douglas.

My trip starts tomorrow (was supposed to be today but some last minute hiccups), so my internet will be limited to checking emails in the evening.

Cheers

Luke91
23rd July 2013, 09:31 PM
Hey everyone. I'm from the navara forum and things have been really quite over there about this trip. How's everything going with people over here. Are we still having two groups with the amount of people pulling out?
Cheers luke

jack
23rd July 2013, 09:44 PM
Hi Luke,

Only one group at this point with only eight vehicles travelling now.
Have you been getting my emails? I've been sending them to the participants list that Jas setup.
If you haven't received them please pm me your email address.

Cheers

Jack

Luke91
24th July 2013, 08:47 AM
Cheers. Pm sent

GU CAMPER
24th July 2013, 09:07 AM
Not long now till I leave

Can't wait

PMC
24th July 2013, 06:09 PM
Lucky bastards!

Regards,

RLI

jack
24th July 2013, 11:16 PM
About half way to the top already, (from my place anyway).
Made it to Hervey Bay.

PMC
30th July 2013, 10:18 AM
Cape York 2013 Itinerary

Day 1
Date: Sunday 4th August. Arrival Time: Whenever you get there!

Rendezvous location for everyone: BIG4 Port Douglas Glengarry Holiday Park, this is located only 6km on the south side of Port Douglas on the left hand side. Cost for an unpowered site $34.00, powered site: $44.00. Note, this is peak season time up North! You can do all your supplies shopping at the local Coles supermarket in Port Douglas and the various other retail outlets. This is the last stop for discounted Beer & wine and soft drinks for the children. You can have slap up B/Q at the Camp kitchen area whilst the children play in the pool area. Time-out to conduct your last vehicle tweaks before you depart the following day.

Day 2
Date: Monday 5th August 2013. Departure time: 8.00am Distance: 110km

Port Douglas to Lion’s Den Hotel’ via Bloomfield Track

You will head from Port Douglas to Daintree River crossing taking in the Daintree National Park, stopping at the various look-out locations for photos. Lunch at the Thornton beach-side café. We then travel to Cape Tribulation for that famous snap of the rainforest to the sea shot. Then you head via the Bloomfield track to the Lion’s Den Hotel for overnight stop a few coldies at the bar followed by a good bullshit session.

Day 3
Date: Wednesday 6th August 2013. Departure time: 9.00am Distance: 196km

Lion’s Den Hotel to Kalpower Crossing via Battlecamp Rd

Taking in the Lakefield National Park, swimming stops at both Endeavour Falls and Isabella Falls, lunch at Old Laura home stead. Travel to Pandanus Park and do some fishing on the banks of the Normandy River. (Please remember to be Croc wise all the time Trendsetters) from there you will head to Kalpower Crossing and set-up camp. A good feed followed by several driving stress relieving beverages, followed by another a good bullshit session.

Day 4 and 5
Date: Thursday and Friday the 7th and 8th August 2013. Departure time: 9.00am Distance: 480kms

Kalpower to Weipa via the PDR (Peninsular Development Road);

Taking in Coen and Archer River. Set up camp at Archer River and a quick dip in the various waterholes. Friday morning depart at 9.00am and continuing 150ks travel to Weipa and set up camp at the Weipa Camping Ground. Powered and unpowered sites available, good shade, brilliant fishing and you can also hire a boat here. Shit, shave, shower, shampoo followed by a good feed and copious amounts of driving stress relief beverages, followed by another good bullshit session!

Day 6
Date: Friday 9th August 2013

Organise a Mine and Town tour of Weipa, fishing, crabbing, or more sight-seeing. Rest and relax trendsetters!

Day 7
Date: Saturday 10th August 2013 Departure time: 9:00am Distance: 175kms

Weipa to Bramwell Junction via both the PDR (Peninsular Development Road) and the Telegraph Road

Travel from Weipa to Bramwell Junction stopping at Moreton Telegraph station en route. Set-up camp, followed by a good feed and a couple of driving stress relief beverages, followed by another a good bullshit session. You can carry-out a recce of the Old Telegraph Track by talking to Jamie from Bramwell Junction road-house and travel 2ks to check-out Palm Creek.

Day 8
Date: Sunday 11th August 2013 Departure time: 7.00am Distance: approximately 84km

Bramwell Junction to the Elliot Falls camp ground via the Old Telegraph Track

The first crossing (Palm creek) this is a pisser, steep ruttered out on entry and an absolute bog-hole on the departure side of the creek requiring snatching and winching. (I am getting a hard-on just thinking about the Tele-Track, oops sorry about that Trendsetters!) from Palm Creek the next crossing is Ducie Creek, (time for a quick wash and cool down after being knackered from the exhausting recovery session at Palm Creek.) 10 klicks later we hit Alice Creek (easy crossing) Punching and battering are way on we then arrive at the Dulhunty River time for a coffee/tea break and a swim (always been mindful of those long tailed, four legged, leather snapping suit-cases that lurk about). We then head of for Bertie Creek (here we to watch out for deep holes in the rocky bottom other-wise easy.) Continuing on, the track narrows to the famous Gunshot crossing. (My advice here is to take one of the chicken tracks. It’s not worth damaging your pride and joy) Lunch stop at the Gunshot, pull out the deck chairs and watch the number of dick-brains that engage the crossing (fun to watch.) Next is Cockatoo Creek (rocky bottom, watch-out for the large pot-holes) finally Sailor Creek (wooden bridge) late afternoon swim at the magnificent Fruit Bat Falls. If we cannot get a camp at Elliot falls camp ground about 10ks away. We will then set–up camp at Canal Creek, just another 6 ks further north.( pristine safe swimming for the children and of course the adults!) My family and I spent two days here in 2011 it was fantastic. You will set up camp on the north side bank of Canal Creek. Shit, shave, swim and shampoo followed by a good feed and copious amounts of track driving stress relief beverages, followed yet again, by another a good bullshit session. (By now you should be well and truly be getting into the swing of things! Ye-haa baby bring it on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Day 9
Date: Monday 12th August 2013

Elliot Falls, Fruit Bat Falls and Canal Creek

Rest and relax trendsetters! Explore these lovely falls and creeks or just soak up the atmosphere of the adventure just travelled. Then you can all gather around the campfire and sing songs! LOL.

Day 10
Date: Tuesday 13th August 2013 Departure time: 7:00am Distance: approximately 133kms

Elliot Falls or Canal Creek camp ground to Punsand Bay Camping Resort via the Northern section of the Old Telegraph Track;

After breakfast another quick swim before heading on the Tele track, off-roading with serve bulges in your pants! The first crossing of the morning is Sam Creek (Sandy bottom, easy crossing) then followed by Mistake Creek (Steep eroded shit hole departure and can be boggy due to volume of traffic, otherwise an easy crossing) next is Cannibal Creek (steep entry and departure, you will watch out for the wash-out on departure section of the bank) Then comes Cypress Creek (you will have to be careful with your wheel placement over the old rooted/farked wooden bridge, we just spot one another across) next is Logan Creek ( a bit swampy otherwise an easy crossing) finally the granddaddy Nolan’s Broke ( in 2011 over 30 vehicle’s shit the whiskers at this crossing lounge lizards, steep drop into water, this is the deepest crossing on the Telegraph track, by the time you folks get here in August the water level should be low. You can have a coffee or cup of tea and watch the others cross first, get someone to walk it first, (Jack, looks large enough to slow down the crocs, while the rest of you cross safely!) If it is still deep, this is you will break-out the 4×4 bra or drop sheet to put over the front of your vehicles, second low gently pushing your way through getting a bow wave going, snorkel a must have item on this crossing folks.) You will then take track on the left to the Northern Bypass Road to the Jardine River crossing. Lunch time! (Please note: Do not lose your ferry tickets as it covers your permit for the area, also make sure you have cash to pay for your ticket, about $90.00 for memory. You will then travel the remaining 50ks to Bamaga (this was the worst section of road for corrugation’s.) One hour later arrive at Bamaga. Travel into the main street for supplies at the supermarket and the pub for coldies. You can then get fuel-up at the BP servo on the outskirts of town towards Punsand Bay Resort. After refuelling then travel another 24ks north to Punsand Bay Resort. Well folks you have made it, you off-road lounge lizards! Set-up camp, shit, shave, shower and shampoo then followed by a good feed and copious amounts of track driving stress relief beverages, followed yet again by another serious bullshit session.

Day 11
Date: Wednesday 14th August 2013

Punsand Bay Camping Resort to Cape York (the tip) yee-haa baby, you’ve done it!

Travel 9ks to the car park at the Tip (take drinks and good joggers/sandshoes for the walk up and over the rocks whilst walking to the tip, get that famous photo) pack a lunch and soak up the experience for the morning (have a drink for me folks!)You will then head back to camp whilst checking out the various WW2 aircraft wrecks sites scattered around the Cape. That evening shit, shave, shower and shampoo then followed by another good feed induced with copious amounts of Tip driving stress relief beverages, also followed yet again by another serious bullshit session.

Day 12
Date: Thursday 15th August 2013

Travel by boat to Thursday Island and do a bit of sightseeing for the day for those that want to! For others, do want ever takes your fancy. That evening continue the trend to shit, shave, shower and shampoo then followed by another good feed induced with various amounts of fishing stress relief beverages, followed by the usual daily bullshit session. (Gees, I reckon that one I lost must have been a world record bara! lol)

Day 13
Date: Friday 16th August 2013

Punsand Bay

Fishing & crabbing or 4×4 track driving the various tracks or more sight-seeing! That evening, you guessed it Trendsetters, continue the trend to shit, shave, shower and shampoo then followed by another good feed induced with various amounts of fishing stories ie; the that got a way, induced by stress relief beverages, followed by the usual daily bullshit session.

Day 14
Date: Saturday 17th August 2013 Departure time: 8.00am

Cape York SEAFOOD BANQUET

Day 15
Date: Sunday 18th August 2013 Departure time: 8.00am Distance: 172kms

Time to conduct thorough vehicle checks before you leave; i.e.

1. Check engine oil, coolant level and check for any oil leaks
2. Check font-end components and rear-end suspension components (i.e. check that all nuts are all tight.)
3. Check vehicle for any broken or loos parts (fix accordingly)
4. Check tyres and tyre pressures (especially when cold)
5. Check roofs and storage items are secured properly
This should be part of your daily routine check first thing after breakfast!

You will then travel south back to Jardine River crossing, from their travel another 27ks then turn right heading west towards the coast. About 4ks in you will cross an old log bridge over Crystal Creek, morning tea brake and time to cool off and take a dip in Crystal creek. (This is another old dilapidated farked bridge.) You will then travel another 23ks until you come to a junction, you turn right and head north up the beach about 8ks until you come to an old light house ship wreck. Great camping and fishing around here. You can set-up camp and cast a few lures or baits into the waters and catch dinner. A good feed and several driving stress relief beverages whilst watching the beautiful sunset, followed by the usual bullshit session.

Day 16
Date: Monday 19th August 2013.

Vrilya Point Day 2!

Wake up to the spectacular sunrise and start fishing or just explore the region. A good feed followed by several fishing relief beverages whilst watching again the beautiful sunset, followed by the usual fishing story bullshit session.

Day 17 & 18
Date: Tuesday and Wednesday 20th and 21st August 2013. Departure time: 8.00am Distance: 364kms

Vrilya Point to Lockhart River via both Northern and Southern Bypass Road

Have breakfast after waking up to another spectacular sunrise, conduct vehicle checks and travel back to Northern Bypass Road and head south to Fruit Bat Falls for morning tea and another cool swim in the falls. You can then travel from Fruit Bat Falls about 62ks to an intersection and turn left into the Frenchman’s road turn off; this is about 2ks north of Batavia Downs home stead. You will then travel about 36ks until we come to the dreaded Pascoe River crossing, (you will take care when crossing the Pascoe River, she can be at times fast flowing and deep, This where you get Jack again to walk the crossing first, both steep approach and departure angles.) After crossing the Pascoe, Set-up camp. The next day you will then travel about another 16ks to the Mt Tozer look-out. Then travel to Lockhart River and set-up camp either here or travel another 20ks to Chili Beach camp ground. That evening shit, shave, shower and shampoo followed by another good feed induced with various amounts of Frenchman’s Road driving stress relief beverages, followed by, (you guessed it) another 4×4 bullshit session.

Day 19
Date: Wednesday 21st August 2013.

Chili Beach/Lockhart River

Explore the region or just fish the area which is fantastic. Relax and have a few coldies and watch the spectacular sunset. That evening the usuals shit, shave, shower and shampoo followed by another great feed with the usual Chili Beach/Lockhart River stress relief beverages, followed by, (you guessed it yet again ) another fishing bullshit session!

Day 20
Date: Thursday 22nd August 2013. Departure time: when you wake up!

Lockhart River to Hann River Roadhouse via both the Portland and the Peninsula Development Roads

Travel 100ks via Portland Road to the Peninsula Development Road turn off, turn left and head 36ks to Archer River Roadhouse for a lunch stop. Travel 235ks from Archer River Roadhouse down the Peninsula Development Road to Hann River Roadhouse and set-up camp. After travelling the bumpy, dusty corrugated road time to shit, shave, shower and shampoo followed by another great feed forced down with numerous amounts of Peninsular Development Road 4×4 driving stress relief beverages, followed by, (you guessed it) another bullshit session.

Day 21
Date: Friday 23rd August 2013. Departure time: 8:00am Distance: 252kms

Hann River Roadhouse to Cape Tribulation via both the Peninsula Development Road and the Kennedy Hwy

Travel 138ks from Hann River Roadhouse to Lakeland for morning tea stop. Then travel a further 65ks to Cooktown. Set up camp at the Lion’s Den hotel. 4×4 driving stress relief beverages at the bar, followed by our final bullshit session together!

Journey ends!

This is one of those once-in-a-lifetime experiences Trendsetter’s, so if you see an opportunity in life like travelling the Old Telegraph Track or the Frenchman’s Track folks you just have to go for it! Folks, you do not need to complete any difficult stages of the track – if it is going to compromise the safety of your family or damage your vehicle – do not do it!! As stated previously, there is a Cock-Head Tree outside the front of Bramwell Junction Roadhouse for all those cock-heads and dick-brains that wrecked their vehicles on the Telegraph Track due to stupidity! Their number plates hang on this tree as a reminder to everyone to take it easy! SO TRENDESETTERS, TAKE IT EASY!

Trip dates are the 4th of August 2013 to the 25th August 2013!

For safety reasons allow 8 days travel to and from Port Douglas for folks living in Victoria or NSW and 5 days for those folks in Brisbane!

PS, Good look and I wish I was there with you all!

Paul (RLI)

jack
30th July 2013, 09:53 PM
Thanks Paul, we'll think of you and the others.

Well I'm almost there, currently in Cairns and we'll be here for four nights then two at Port Douglas. Looking forwards to meeting everyone before we head off.
Tomorrow I'll confirm the bookings, just haven't had a chance earlier as I've either been travelling or no Internet.
For those heading up the Bruce Hwy the roadworks have been horrendous, took over 7 hours from Hervey Bay to Yeppoon. Lots of roadworks but that was the worst stretch.

jack
1st August 2013, 10:53 PM
Can't believe I've already been travelling for 2 weeks! Lesson number one learnt - Pack LESS.
Assume most of the group are now on the road up to Port Douglas, when you get there we are all grouped together in the caravan park.
Allan and his mate Andrew arrived today, only Toyota in the group - good to see it was able to make it all the way up here from Brisbane :smile:

Some last minute shopping for supplies tomorrow and then time to catch some mud crabs.

matfew
2nd August 2013, 05:06 AM
So jealous of you guys. Wish I was there. Patrol needs a few more things before I take this trip though. Keep the updates coming. Also anyone able to upload some pics along the way

jack
4th August 2013, 08:50 PM
The group is now together and ready to head of at 8am from Port Douglas to the Lions Den Hotel via the Bloomfield Track. Seven cars and thirteen people, unfortunately only two Patrols - Gu Camper and mine. There is one Ford Explorer a Toymota and the rest are Navaras.
RLI (Paul) - no mudcrabs yet, starting to wonder if your recommended bait is any good but I'll keep trying or get myself a cat.

Getting excited watching all the orange dust covered cars coming back, all saying how much they loved the trip - seems to be a lot of broken back windows as well.

PMC
5th August 2013, 07:47 AM
The group is now together and ready to head of at 8am from Port Douglas to the Lions Den Hotel via the Bloomfield Track. Seven cars and thirteen people, unfortunately only two Patrols - Gu Camper and mine. There is one Ford Explorer a Toymota and the rest are Navaras.
RLI (Paul) - no mudcrabs yet, starting to wonder if your recommended bait is any good but I'll keep trying or get myself a cat.

Getting excited watching all the orange dust covered cars coming back, all saying how much they loved the trip - seems to be a lot of broken back windows as well.

G'day folks,

All the best folks with your adventure, fark i wish i was with you all!

There is nothing wrong with cat-crabs or mud-cats. lol. Stop your farking whingeing Jack and work harder (Farken City slickers!)

PS, be safe and do not end up on that COCK-HEAD tree at Bramwell Junction. lol I hope to hear from you all when you return from your fantastic holiday!

Regards,

Paul (RLI)

PMC
11th August 2013, 06:36 AM
Great to hear from you Jack!

I am so envious of you folks and your trip. As I write this post, you folks should be camped at Elliot falls on the Telegraph Track! You luck pricks. lol

PS, Good luck, see you all when you return!

Regards,

RLI

GU CAMPER
13th August 2013, 10:49 PM
Things are going well so far. Had to snatch 1 of our convoy through nolans brook. We are up at Punsand Bay at the moment. Having a great time

jack
13th August 2013, 11:49 PM
Hey All,

Camped with GU CAMPER and the Navara boys at Punsand. Good group and we have some entertaining members in our party. Even the two Toymota drivers are good company, just have no taste in cars.
GU CAMPER is the recovery vehicle from the looks of it, the drowned Prado and Hilux should have waited form him at Nolans!
Been a good trip so far and off to the tip in the morning.
Sorry no pictures as the Internet is crap.

And Paul (RLI) I'm using the cat food to catch some cats for mud crab bait.

Cheers

NP99
14th August 2013, 12:24 AM
So jealous of you guys. Wish I was there. Patrol needs a few more things before I take this trip though. Keep the updates coming. Also anyone able to upload some pics along the way

I'm sure when RLI gets his health back some of us that missed this one will be there :)

PMC
14th August 2013, 07:38 AM
G'day folks,

The latest from Apollofish!

Regards,

RLI

"Hi Paul,

Trip is going great, phone and Internet connection is woeful!

Now at Punsand Bay and the crab pots are in the water waiting for me to check them in the morning. Then off to the tip for a look around. Fruit bat and Elliott Falls are marvelous, well worth the trip.

So far the Patrol is going well but sucking up the juice on the rough stuff, I did get a little water inside it and the van on a deep ford, was going to slow but all good. Looks like the fridge in the van is also stuffed, doesn't work on 12v or gas, trying 240 now so fingers crossed.

Got some good pics that I'll post when possible. The dust is pretty impressive around here.

Tell the guys that Nolans claimed a Prado and Hilux today. Apparently claimed a few cars already, two German tourists in a Britz hire car yesterday but that could be rumour.

Hope all is well with you and the family, glad the bank transfer worked this time. No idea what happened the last time as I used the same detail.

Cheers

Jack

AT THE TOP"

jack
14th August 2013, 10:38 AM
HEY HEY HEY
MADE IT TO THE TOP THIS MORNING
Naturally took the 4wd option from Punsand, only the the two of us and the two Navara boys were there. Well worth the trip.

Did stop and reflect on the our missing members Paul (RLI), Jas and Matt. Wish you guys were here to enjoy this.

Cheers

MudRunnerTD
14th August 2013, 10:43 AM
Thats Awesome! Travel Well guys

oncedisturbed
14th August 2013, 10:45 AM
Have a good trip Aquaman and lotsa pics for us pic wh0re$

Never underestimate the power of the darkside, let the tap flow through you.

PMC
14th August 2013, 12:32 PM
HEY HEY HEY
MADE IT TO THE TOP THIS MORNING
Naturally took the 4wd option from Punsand, only the the two of us and the two Navara boys were there. Well worth the trip.

Did stop and reflect on the our missing members Paul (RLI), Jas and Matt. Wish you guys were here to enjoy this.

Cheers

Good onya lads!

You are officially Cape York Veterans!

Regards,

RLI

jack
17th August 2013, 10:38 PM
Tomorrow we depart Punsand Bay for a couple of nights at Vrilya Point. Been a great trip to date but two of the Navara boys had to head back to Ballarat yesterday due to a death in the family. Put a bit of a dampener on the group and leaves the wife and I as the on Vics on the trip. Other than GU CAMPER the rest are from QLD.
Bit of excitement in camp last night, a soldier was bitten by a Tiapan while in the toilets. Not sure of his condition but they airlifted him to Thursday Island. A few days earlier someone ran over and killed a Tiapan, when measured it was only a few inches short of the largest Tiapan ever recorded. Most of us now use torches when moving around at night.
Internet and phone service is crap up here so still no pics as I can't connect my laptop.
GU CAMPER is the local recovery vehicle up this way, recovered a well bogged vehicle from the beach a couple of days ago.
The mighty Patrol has preformed flawlessly (as expected). When doing the pre trip check today I did find the Ubolts nuts were only finger tight on the Jayco, could have been an interesting trip down corrugation highway.

PMC
18th August 2013, 07:51 PM
Tomorrow we depart Punsand Bay for a couple of nights at Vrilya Point. Been a great trip to date but two of the Navara boys had to head back to Ballarat yesterday due to a death in the family. Put a bit of a dampener on the group and leaves the wife and I as the on Vics on the trip. Other than GU CAMPER the rest are from QLD.
Bit of excitement in camp last night, a soldier was bitten by a Tiapan while in the toilets. Not sure of his condition but they airlifted him to Thursday Island. A few days earlier someone ran over and killed a Tiapan, when measured it was only a few inches short of the largest Tiapan ever recorded. Most of us now use torches when moving around at night.
Internet and phone service is crap up here so still no pics as I can't connect my laptop.
GU CAMPER is the local recovery vehicle up this way, recovered a well bogged vehicle from the beach a couple of days ago.
The mighty Patrol has preformed flawlessly (as expected). When doing the pre trip check today I did find the Ubolts nuts were only finger tight on the Jayco, could have been an interesting trip down corrugation highway.

G'day Apollofish.

I know what it is like to get bitten by a coastal Tiapan, i got farken bitten in 1983 whilst posted to Field Force Battle School at Tully. The farken prick got inside my pack whilst we were training US Rangers at the time during contact drills. They had to casevac me to Townsville hospital were i had antivenene. I was crook for 5 weeks. Then in 1985 i got farken bitten again, this time at high range training area near Townsville, that time it was a farken black snake that got me.

I am glad you are all doing your pre trip checks!

Regards,

RLI

florix
18th August 2013, 08:29 PM
Hey guys just got this message on FB if you happen to see this guy let us know please.

jack
22nd August 2013, 10:23 PM
Trip is officially over, we are now back in Cairns and most of the group has split up and headed home. GU CAMPER is still somewhere on the Cape as he headed out to Chilli Beach. GU CAMPER also did the complete OTT twice as he headed out from Vrilya Point to guide one of the group through it. Mammoth effort to complete this, Vrilya Point to Bramwell and do both South and North OTT and return to Vrilya Point in one day. GO THE MIGHTY GU!. He also had to head back and recover a certain Toymota that got hung up on the Vrilya Point entrance in the dark.
All in all a great experience that I'll never forget, I won't miss the 68,456,342 corrugations on the road back though. Meet a great group of people and and have some lifetime memories.
As expected the GU never missed a beat, as a group we had one water pump replaced (Navara), one person run out of fuel 8k short of the destination (Toymota). No punctures, broken windows, or major damage. A couple of recoveries were required.
I was involved in a minor incident with a motor home who decided he needed more of the road than I did and moved into my path as I was overtaking him. Minor damage to the caravan and a rather heated discussion at Bramwell roadhouse. More to come on this one.
Pics will have to wait till I get home as I'm in no rush to get there, off to Undarra Lava tubes tomorrow. Probably spend 3 or 4 nights in Brisbane before heading to Victoria via Coffs Harbour.
Wonder is there are any forum members in that area i could catch up with (hint RLI).

GU CAMPER
22nd August 2013, 10:49 PM
It has been a great trip. Met a great bunch of people. Even the Toymota driver Al and his mate Andrew (Stretch).

Jack I have made it back to Cairns. After leaving the group at Bramwell I went out to Chilli Beach via Frenchmans Track. Crossed the Pascoe River no worries. Camped out at Chilli Beach for a night. Met a bloke who snapped his axle crossing the Pascoe River

I have to replace my rear shocks as one of them lost a bolt and wore the thread off. So off to buy some replacements in the morning. Then hopefully go back up to do the CREB track south to North this time once shocks replaced

Al in the Prado getting recovered

All the cars lined up at the TIP

All the Cars lined up at Port Douglas

GU CAMPER
22nd August 2013, 10:54 PM
The result of letting too much air out of my tyre to get out of Palm Creek. Heading South. Oh we'll at least I was the only car to make it up there that day. Three cruisers just had to winch up there

All the cars lined up at Moreton Telegraph Station

jack
22nd August 2013, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the pics Andy, I'll post mine up when I get home. Take care on the CREB and we might catchup further down the coast. Also thanks for the use of the phone, appreciated mate.

jack
23rd August 2013, 08:44 AM
Fuel economy update towing approx 1500kg Jayco with an automatic. Car also fully loaded, 40psi on highway, 28 on dirt and 18 on the beach and really rough stuff.
To date have travelled 7,476 Km and used 1,237 ltrs = 16.55 l p/100k. **** VERY HAPPY WITH THIS ****
Worst figures were 20.87 l p/100 best 14.14 l p/100
Most expensive fuel at 235cpl at Bamaga, but 222cpl at Siesa close by.
Archer River is a rip off, 220cpl compared to 189cpl at Coen. Also don't get fuel at Jardine River as it much cheaper at Bamaga or Siesa.

PMC
23rd August 2013, 10:43 AM
Trip is officially over, we are now back in Cairns and most of the group has split up and headed home. GU CAMPER is still somewhere on the Cape as he headed out to Chilli Beach. GU CAMPER also did the complete OTT twice as he headed out from Vrilya Point to guide one of the group through it. Mammoth effort to complete this, Vrilya Point to Bramwell and do both South and North OTT and return to Vrilya Point in one day. GO THE MIGHTY GU!. He also had to head back and recover a certain Toymota that got hung up on the Vrilya Point entrance in the dark.
All in all a great experience that I'll never forget, I won't miss the 68,456,342 corrugations on the road back though. Meet a great group of people and and have some lifetime memories.
As expected the GU never missed a beat, as a group we had one water pump replaced (Navara), one person run out of fuel 8k short of the destination (Toymota). No punctures, broken windows, or major damage. A couple of recoveries were required.
I was involved in a minor incident with a motor home who decided he needed more of the road than I did and moved into my path as I was overtaking him. Minor damage to the caravan and a rather heated discussion at Bramwell roadhouse. More to come on this one.
Pics will have to wait till I get home as I'm in no rush to get there, off to Undarra Lava tubes tomorrow. Probably spend 3 or 4 nights in Brisbane before heading to Victoria via Coffs Harbour.
Wonder is there are any forum members in that area i could catch up with (hint RLI).

Not a problem, Jack,

You are more than welcome mate!

PS, i can organise Trekster to meet you as well!

Regards,

Paul

PMC
23rd August 2013, 10:50 AM
Congratulations lads and Gals!

Your mission is over! You came, you sore, you farken conquered the Cape! I hope you got yourselves a Tee-shirt. lol

PS, Jack give me a call when you are in Brisbane mate. Looking for to meeting you mate!

Regards,

RLI

jack
24th August 2013, 08:14 PM
Here are some pics of the trip....
Vrillya Point Sunset
Camp at VP
GU's at the wreck
Flexing on the log bridge
Van check in the nick of time
GU's on the beach at the Top
Group Shot

More to come............

PMC
25th August 2013, 01:41 PM
Here are some pics of the trip....
Vrillya Point Sunset
Camp at VP
GU's at the wreck
Flexing on the log bridge
Van check in the nick of time
GU's on the beach at the Top
Group Shot

More to come............

ABSOLUTELY PROUD OF YOU ALL FOLKS!

Regards,

Paul

PMC
29th August 2013, 03:38 PM
G'day Apollofish,

Where are you now?

PS, give me a call!

Regards,

RLI

lorrieandjas
4th September 2013, 02:55 PM
Hey Jack - tried calling you a couple of times but guessed you were out of range. Hope all went well and all the accom. etc was sorted? Give us a yell when you are back home.

Jas

PMC
5th September 2013, 01:41 PM
Hey Jack - tried calling you a couple of times but guessed you were out of range. Hope all went well and all the accom. etc was sorted? Give us a yell when you are back home.

Jas

G'day Jas,

How are things going at your neck of the woods!

Regards,

Paul

jack
5th September 2013, 08:54 PM

Jas

Hi Jas,

Sorry mate I'll give you a call when I get home in about a weeks time. Had unbelievable phone connection issues, thanks to GU CAMPER I was able to contact the family and stop them sending out a search party. When I did get coverage both sims had full msg banks and I did get some from you but must have deleted the other along with a few more.
Accommodation was all good, Qld Parks did double book a couple of sites but wasn't an issue. Although I did ring Punsand they didn't credit us for the 4 extra deposits, either did Cape Trib. No one ended up going to Cape Trib so I'm not out of pocket but will need to check and split the remainder between the group.
You missed one hell of a trip and would have been good to have a few more Patrols there, outnumbered by Navaras.

This pic was taken on the beach at the top.

GU CAMPER
7th September 2013, 11:23 AM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/09/42.jpg
The entrance to Pascoe River on Frenchmans Track

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/09/43.jpg
Bertie Creek

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/09/44.jpg
The C*ckhead Tree at Bramwell Junction

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/09/45.jpg
Daintree River Crossing CREB Track

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/09/46.jpg
Another Patrol I got a pic of going down Gunshot. The far right track. Is it anybody on here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

PMC
7th September 2013, 01:31 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/09/42.jpg
The entrance to Pascoe River on Frenchmans Track

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/09/43.jpg
Bertie Creek

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/09/44.jpg
The C*ckhead Tree at Bramwell Junction

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/09/45.jpg
Daintree River Crossing CREB Track

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/09/46.jpg
Another Patrol I got a pic of going down Gunshot. The far right track. Is it anybody on here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

G'day GU camper,

Great photo's mate!

Regards,

RLI

lorrieandjas
9th September 2013, 07:45 AM
G'day Jas,

How are things going at your neck of the woods!

Regards,

Paul

Hi Paul - all good here - been insanely busy until recently - hence the lack of forum time and phone calls! How's things with you? Hope all is well with the family and your health? We're long overdue for a chat!! :)

Jas

gavrober
12th September 2013, 09:02 PM
Hi Appolofish

Great pictures thank you for sharing. more please. It was a great trip and really glad to have shared it with you and met you and wife

Victor

gavrober
12th September 2013, 09:05 PM
Hey Andy,
great pictures. thank you for sharing them. more please. it was a great trip and I feel very lucky to have met you and shared the trip with you. you are a great trip partner. awesome

cheers Victor

jack
16th September 2013, 02:17 PM
Hi Appolofish

Great pictures thank you for sharing. more please. It was a great trip and really glad to have shared it with you and met you and wife

Victor
Hi Victor,

Great meeting you as well, was a great trip. Only got back last week so still sorting through the photos, I'll send out an email to the group soon as I get sorted. First have to deal with the idiot who hit my van denying liability and also someone who got my credit card details and had a very good time on the Gold Coast while we were up North.

Cheers
Jack

gavrober
20th October 2013, 07:09 AM
Hi guys,
heard that the log bridge on the OTT has collapsed. some time in the last month. police have been there. Also the shot up sign at the tip (which was all shot up when we were there) has been replaced and Tasmania now is included, still at the bottom though :o))
Victor

PMC
24th October 2013, 11:33 AM
G'day mate,

Thanks for the up-date!

Regards,

RLI

jack
24th October 2013, 01:36 PM
New Cape York sign - image from the Croc Tent site