PDA

View Full Version : Rear diff

boggy2006
20th November 2010, 09:57 PM
hi,

my GQ doesn't have a locking rear diff (shame!). But could it have an LSD rear diff and how do I find out?

Thanks again!

YNOT
20th November 2010, 11:50 PM
First clean the diff pumpkin back cover and look for a sticker that says "use LSD oil only", the sticker may have fallen off by now so don't be concerned if it's not there. That's the easiest thing to check that's why I suggest it.
Second way is to jack up one rear wheel (chock the front wheels to make sure the car wont roll away), then with the car in neutral and hand brake off try to turn the wheel that's off the ground. If it has a limited slip diff the wheel will be hard to turn.

Very few if any GQ/GU Patrols came to Australia with open rear diffs.

Tony

boggy2006
21st November 2010, 12:20 AM
thanks again Tony, here's hoping it's a LSD then. There's a muddy patch at the side of the road near my house (nearly got my other car stuck there when I pulled over) so could check if it's LSD there too.

89GQ
21st November 2010, 12:28 AM
Yeh mines got a sticker LSD top left on the back. I think their welded on cause i couldnt take mine off when cleaning it. lol

boggy2006
21st November 2010, 12:56 AM
Great, wiped off some muck and found a bright orange LSD sticker on there!

89GQ
21st November 2010, 02:06 PM
That be the one.

tkn
1st December 2010, 04:29 PM
The VIN plate on the firewall will usually tell you directly or will have a code that shows the diff that was fitted when the vehicle was built and because Patrol diffs are seldom replaced, the original is probably still with the vehicle.

YNOT
1st December 2010, 05:12 PM
The build plate will tell you what model diff, gearbox etc was originally fitted, but it won't tell you if it has an LSD.

Tony

patrol 98
2nd December 2010, 02:11 AM
go to some hard sand or limestone and try do a burnout if both wheels spin while the cars stationary u have an lsd :)

Bigrig
6th December 2010, 10:20 AM
go to some hard sand or limestone and try do a burnout if both wheels spin while the cars stationary u have an lsd :)

LMFAO ... I'd be stoked if I could do burnouts in mud, let alone on hard sand or limestone!!! lololol ... love the old mule though!!!!

buddyh
31st January 2011, 10:51 PM
Glad I read this thread before I serviced my 1995 GQ for the first time myself. Fortunately I read about looking for the LSD oil only sticker otherwise I would have just used normal gear oil. When I did an internet search most of the advice for determining if LSD or not was to jack up rear wheels and turn one say clockwise and if the opposite one did the same then likely to be LSD however this wasn't the case for me as the other wheel went counterclockwise! Again appreciate being told about the LSD sticker. If sticker fell off ouch!

YNOT
31st January 2011, 10:59 PM
It sounds like your LSD needs to be overhauled, or replaced with a locker!

Tony

patch697
31st January 2011, 10:59 PM
Glad I read this thread before I serviced my 1995 GQ for the first time myself. Fortunately I read about looking for the LSD oil only sticker otherwise I would have just used normal gear oil. When I did an internet search most of the advice for determining if LSD or not was to jack up rear wheels and turn one say clockwise and if the opposite one did the same then likely to be LSD however this wasn't the case for me as the other wheel went counterclockwise! Again appreciate being told about the LSD sticker. If sticker fell off ouch!

If you had the opposite wheel turn in the opposite direction to the one you where turning then you have std diff (NON LSD) or possibly a lock either way you will only require standard non LSD type diff oil.

patch697
31st January 2011, 11:02 PM

Tony

Even an LSD needing an overhaul would still have the opposite wheel turning in the same direction I would have thought Tony???

YNOT
31st January 2011, 11:04 PM
I got the impression from Buddy's first post that his diff had the LSD sticker ..."otherwise I would have used standard gear oil".

If the handbrake was on when he did the test the opposite wheel would have turned the other way but would have taken some force to do it. Patrol LSD's are ramp loading so with no load they don't lock up too much especially if they are a bit worn.

Tony

patch697
31st January 2011, 11:07 PM
I got the impression from Buddy's first post that his diff had the LSD sticker ..."otherwise I would have used standard gear oil".

Tony

Yeah I had to read it twice myself but the wheel turning opposite direction sort of gave it away for me or was I wrong in thinking this?

YNOT
31st January 2011, 11:10 PM
I added a bit more to post #15.

Your thinking is correct but we won't know who is right until the diff is pulled out and inspected. If the car was Australian delivered then it "should" have either an LSD or a factory locker.

Tony

patch697
31st January 2011, 11:16 PM
I added a bit more to post #15.

Your thinking is correct but we won't know who is right until the diff is pulled out and inspected. If the car was Australian delivered then it "should" have either an LSD or a factory locker.

Tony

Yeah mine is LSD but I would rather a locker & am thinking of chasing one up & doing a swap this year some time.

YNOT
31st January 2011, 11:18 PM
Are you thinking factory Nissan locker or aftermarket?

Tony

patch697
31st January 2011, 11:20 PM
Are you thinking factory Nissan locker or aftermarket?

Tony

I dont know at this stage as I've not looked into it much but im very interested in your thoughts on the subject?? (I was going to ring you about it anyway...lolol)

YNOT
31st January 2011, 11:33 PM
You can still ring me if you want, always good to talk to you.

Factory vacuum lockers are good but ultimately not as strong as the aftermarket lockers. Make sure you get one out of a GU as the GU rear diff housing is wider than GQ.

Having twin air lockers is great, being able to switch them on and off when I want and knowing that the diff is definately locked up when I hit the switch................as long as I have remembered to switch on the compressor, oops!

The new Eaton E-lockers seem like a great idea. Being an electronic locker means you don't need a compressor, although most people who fit lockers already have a compressor for tyre inflation.

I would really like to try a Detroit locker in the rear diff. The detroits are supposed to be the smoothest (when correctly installed) of the automatic lockers. I like the idea of a point and shoot locker, it's just locked when you need it, you don't have to think about it. I don't know what it would be like to live with for general driving, from what I've read you do need to change your driving style a bit, lifting off the throttle through corners to let it unlock. I'm actually thinking of putting a lockright (poor mans detroit) locker in the rear diff of my Terrano.
Note; Detroit lockers to suit Patrol rear diffs are only available by special order, they are not a stocked item.

Tony

buddyh
31st January 2011, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the comments. Just to confirm yes there is an LSD oil only sticker on the diff and the car was Australian delivered (we have had it since new and prior to global financial crisis we could afford to get all servicing done by mechanic - but not now and that is why I did servicing). Is there any problem driving it as it is on normal roads?

patch697
31st January 2011, 11:46 PM
You can still ring me if you want, always good to talk to you.

Factory vacuum lockers are good but ultimately not as strong as the aftermarket lockers. Make sure you get one out of a GU as the GU rear diff housing is wider than GQ.

Having twin air lockers is great, being able to switch them on and off when I want and knowing that the diff is definately locked up when I hit the switch................as long as I have remembered to switch on the compressor, oops!

The new Eaton E-lockers seem like a great idea. Being an electronic locker means you don't need a compressor, although most people who fit lockers already have a compressor for tyre inflation.

I would really like to try a Detroit locker in the rear diff. The detroits are supposed to be the smoothest (when correctly installed) of the automatic lockers. I like the idea of a point and shoot locker, it's just locked when you need it, you don't have to think about it. I don't know what it would be like to live with for general driving, from what I've read you do need to change your driving style a bit, lifting off the throttle through corners to let it unlock. I'm actually thinking of putting a lockright (poor mans detroit) locker in the rear diff of my Terrano.
Note; Detroit lockers to suit Patrol rear diffs are only available by special order, they are not a stocked item.

Tony

Not looking at a Detroit as I had one in a Hotty I had & there not my choice for daily driving but I have had a look at ARB & like what I've seen so far but want to look into E lock as well.

Thanks Tony your worth Tims weight in gold as always........ & expect a call or 2 in the near future has this year the Mavs getting some TLC & upgrades.

YNOT
31st January 2011, 11:56 PM
Thanks for the comments. Just to confirm yes there is an LSD oil only sticker on the diff and the car was Australian delivered (we have had it since new and prior to global financial crisis we could afford to get all servicing done by mechanic - but not now and that is why I did servicing). Is there any problem driving it as it is on normal roads?

No problem driving it as is, it won't do any damage.

Tony

YNOT
1st February 2011, 12:00 AM
Not looking at a Detroit as I had one in a Hotty I had & there not my choice for daily driving but I have had a look at ARB & like what I've seen so far but want to look into E lock as well.

Thanks Tony your worth Tims weight in gold as always........ & expect a call or 2 in the near future has this year the Mavs getting some TLC & upgrades.

My rear air locker is actually a TJM Pro locker but functions exactly the same as an ARB air locker. I chose the TJM for the rear to try something different and because they don't have the O-rings that can leak and allow smelly diff oil back up the air line....not something you want to happen when the compressor is mounted under your seat!

Tony

patch697
1st February 2011, 12:01 AM
My rear air locker is actually a TJM Pro locker but functions exactly the same as an ARB air locker. I chose the TJM for the rear to try something different and because they don't have the O-rings that can leak and allow smelly diff oil back up the air line....not something you want to happen when the compressor is mounted under your seat!

Tony

Bloody good tip mate cos thats where mine are......

Ramsi23
6th February 2012, 04:15 PM

Tony

Just confirming that with the rear wheels off the ground, when 1 wheel is turned clockwise and the other side goes in the opposite direction the LSD needs to be overhauled. Is that right?

If so, what the... My LSD is not functioning properly then. So much for Patrol GU diffs being strong items. That would mean for me a spend rear diff in a GU4 O5.

YNOT
6th February 2012, 09:01 PM
Just confirming that with the rear wheels off the ground, when 1 wheel is turned clockwise and the other side goes in the opposite direction the LSD needs to be overhauled. Is that right?

If so, what the... My LSD is not functioning properly then. So much for Patrol GU diffs being strong items. That would mean for me a spend rear diff in a GU4 O5.

Correct, if you have a rear LSD then both rear wheels should turn the same direction if they are off the ground - unless you have a rear locker.

Anything can wear out, especially if you are not the original owner, you don't know how previous owners may have treated/abused the car.

Tony

y60fromDK
8th February 2012, 09:24 AM
Hope im not interupt your thread, but wonder if the rear diff locker vacum/mecanical, can bee rebuild to fit in front axel on my Y60 patrol, the rear have 33 splinez and the fron have 31, but can any one tell me if i can get new gears tu fit in the diff housing so it can be put in to the front axel.

YNOT
8th February 2012, 11:56 AM
While the rear centre will bolt into the front housing you would need to modify the housing to accomodate the vacuum actuator on the front of the housing. The actuator will foul on the panhard rod making the whole ordeal pointless. Overall it's just cheaper and easier to fit an aftermarket locker.

Tony

y60fromDK
8th February 2012, 07:09 PM
I have compresssor in the troll, and use air to lock mi diff, and a small cylinder insted off the actuator, its more if i can get the gears for the diff so i can fit the front axel i wonder.