PDA

View Full Version : 3 ltr engines

team grandpa
6th December 2012, 11:57 AM
hi
just wondering what the differance between the old 3ltr and the crd 3ltr
are the crd more expensive to fix. was reading that a land cruiser crd injecters are about $2000 each
and pump about $4000 is the gu that expensive.
having thoughts about selling my 4.2 diesel mav and buying a gu 06 to 08 model or try and buy a good 4.2 patrol
thanks
team grandpa:cheers:

threedogs
6th December 2012, 09:22 PM
The early 3lt td are direct injection motors where as the later ones use a common rail fuel delivery system. Tojo injector cost the earth as I dont think they are servicable.
Everything about any 4x4 is expensive,,, start at $1000 and work up. If funds allow an update of 4x4 into somethng newer has to be good. IMO

Clunk
6th December 2012, 11:19 PM
Unless you're Mav is knacked, I'd keep it and spend some dough fixing up the seats....... Just my 2c worth

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

grimace
7th December 2012, 03:32 PM
the 3L common rail fuel system is not serviceable at all so i was told, the injectors, pump and fuel rail all have to be replaced if something goes wrong at a cost of well over $6000 just for parts alone! this is what i was quoted from WESTEND DEISEL a while back when i was having surging issues (well still am) but it turns out that it is the throttle position sensor which i found out from the forum. so if i had my time again and even though i love my truck, if i had known of the cost of repairs that lets face it will eventually rear its head i would not have bought mine and would instead have bought another 2.8 gu as i have had a couple of these and found them to be a great little engine when taken care of and they are bloody cheap!

bajones
10th December 2012, 05:48 PM
There is a great article on this in a recent '4WD Action' mag about this, I'll try to find out which one and post it. I think it would be worth-while having a read of it.
From memory, as grimace says, there's no servicing one component only, it's the whole package.
Also, apparently the CRD motors are very prone and un-forgiving with dirty fuel. The article talks about a near new Patrol having a fatal engine failure which turned out to be due to dirty fuel.
An owner in the mag reckons that the 2006-2008 patrol 3.0 are the pick of the bunch due to not being CRD because of this. But talk to someone else, and I'm sure they'll tell you different.

the evil twin
10th December 2012, 06:04 PM
It's not just a Nissan thing.

Any CRD injectors, pumps etc are extremely expensive in relation to Di and Yes, the Zd30 CRD injectors are ball park the same cost as Tojo's.

You'll have to stay earlier than mid 2007 if you want to avoid the Patrol ZD30 CRD (mine is August MY07).

Having said that the other changes Nissan did with the introduction of the CRD to the EGR, Intercooler, OBD11 full compliance etc are all on the plus side as well

bajones
10th December 2012, 08:45 PM
The article was in 'Essential 4WD Handbook' number 4 (Diesel Performance Guide), sorry but don't think there is an online wersion.
There are actually 2 articles, about what goes wrong with them, and general info. They state (by Berrima Diesel) the patrol is in the top four 4WDS with CRD issues, alond with Hilux D4D, Pathfinder 2.5L and Cruiser V8. So as Evil Twin says, it's not just Nissan.
If you are interested in the articles let me know and I'll organise a way to get it to you.

scotty83
10th December 2012, 09:12 PM
I would have thought the CRD's have less chance of grenading and are nicer to chip as well, with each injector being individually controller and managed. I would think that with a CRD a pre filter would be a great investment due to their sensitivity to crap fuel.

GQ TANK
15th December 2012, 03:55 PM
The earlier 3l are known as greandes - if the are serviced regually and other precaution taken - thery are ok,.

We had a bill from Nissan to repair one of our work patrols - it was over 7k - injectors pump etc - and they where not going to cover it under warranty.

Its supprising what you can get away with when you threaten to stop purching patrols ( we have at least a 50 in the fleet that are changed over every 60K)