PDA

View Full Version : The best camp chair out there

threedogs
5th December 2012, 06:53 PM
Hi all, my Aldi chair finally gave out, didn't last that long I must admit.
Whats the best going around ,ATM thinking those lounge type with large lacing up the side.
Price wise I think they are $100. Open to all ideas. Have always wanted hard rubbish day to be the same as one of the long weekends, that way I could take some ones old couch and just burn it at the end of the weekend. I'll need pics to please ppl. Thanks in advance

Winnie
5th December 2012, 06:55 PM
I've got some roman chair, huge strong and comfy as

DIAL-A-TAP

threedogs
5th December 2012, 07:02 PM
Are they the z shaped jobs that fold up flat???

Winnie
5th December 2012, 07:07 PM
Nah the other type

DIAL-A-TAP

MudRunnerTD
5th December 2012, 07:11 PM
I have a hard arm rest ARB chair and rate it. Fully adjustable back support. Very comfortable. Pain in the arrrrs to pack up though but bags up and goes in the back well.

threedogs
5th December 2012, 07:12 PM
So the normal type camp chair with stubby holder in one arm rest and maybe a pouch on one side.?

MudRunnerTD
5th December 2012, 07:15 PM
The ARB chair has a stubby holder on both sides. A lumbar strap. The bag rolls up and goes in the top of the back to be used as a head rest or pillow.

Works great

threedogs
5th December 2012, 07:21 PM
Sounds ok I've a brouchure here somewhere of their accessories I'll check it out, Noticed in latest 4x4 Aust Mag, that TJM have a new chair as well for $55.
Need a good one because of my back,
Sorta over those fold up chairs, might try the director style .
I'm not rough on my gear but chairs seem to fall apart.

Sir Roofy
5th December 2012, 08:05 PM
sounds ok i've a brouchure here somewhere of their accessories i'll check it out, noticed in latest 4x4 aust mag, that tjm have a new chair as well for $55.
Need a good one because of my back,
sorta over those fold up chairs, might try the director style .
I'm not rough on my gear but chairs seem to fall apart.

dont think the directors chair is sutable for you mate,the oztrail brand would be better

MudRunnerTD
5th December 2012, 08:24 PM
The ARB one I have is the Directors style with hard arms. They do the same chair with soft wing arms but I also have a dodgy back and could not handle the soft arms. Plenty of adjustable support.

3D I also sleep on a Tempur mattress and have done for nearly ten years and changed my life.

MudRunnerTD
5th December 2012, 08:27 PM
This is the chair I have

ARB Camping Chair (http://www.arb.com.au/media/press/October09_ARBSportCampingChair_Export.pdf)

The Tempur mattress was developed by NASA for the space shuttle and is Awesome!!

Tempur Mattress (http://http://www.tempurpedic.com/)

Maxhead
5th December 2012, 08:34 PM
This is what we use http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_product_primus-folding-camp-chair_P3191134.aspx

They are Primus brand which sell for around $120 in camp shops. The reason we got these as they are only 2.6 or 2.9kg , take upto 130kgs and they were only $54 on special from bunnings. A real solid chair and light as a feather

Winnie
5th December 2012, 08:37 PM
I'm a soft arm man. My chair has a drinks cooler in it.

DIAL-A-TAP

MEGOMONSTER
5th December 2012, 08:38 PM
[QUOTE=threedogs;301788] thinking those lounge type with large lacing up the side.[QUOTE]
These are oh so comfortable, the only problem I have with them is, you fall asleep in them too easily.

[QUOTE]Have always wanted hard rubbish day to be the same as one of the long weekends, that way I could take some ones old couch and just burn it at the end of the weekend. [QUOTE]

Unfortunately this becomes an environmental hazard as the huge plume of thick black smoke is not good for you and then you have to take all the innersprings home with you.

I too, struggle to find the right camp chair that last more than two seasons.
I want one thats comfortable, sturdy for my weight and height, light weight and easy to carry with all the fishing gear.

I have yet to find the perfect chair.

Never argue with an idiot, cos he'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

DX grunt
5th December 2012, 08:52 PM
The wife has one of these... http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/products/Coleman-Padded-Camp-Chair-Stripes.aspx?pid=300300&menuFrom=21302#Description

I can highly recommend them as I use when I'm allowed. lol

Rossco

MEGOMONSTER
5th December 2012, 09:58 PM
The wife has one of these... http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/products/Coleman-Padded-Camp-Chair-Stripes.aspx?pid=300300&menuFrom=21302#Description

I can highly recommend them as I use when I'm allowed. lol

Rossco

Just not practical enough for fishing when carrying other gear.

Never argue with an idiot, cos he'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

AB
5th December 2012, 10:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XWEU1A0qmI

growler2058
5th December 2012, 11:03 PM
Hahaha gotta love Russ

Sent from my tapped out thumbs

89gqpatrol4x4
5th December 2012, 11:24 PM
we have both got a recliner from Bcf about $130-150 they have headrests, and recline right back very comfy! The missus has a drink holder mine dosent and they are the ones with the webbing down both sides. They do fold up a bit big however.

threedogs
6th December 2012, 07:33 AM
That Bunnings one looks exactely like the ARB one so might go have a look at them. BCF are way over priced on all items,
plus don't like what they did to Rays. MOO. Hard to find the perfect chair so it seems. I've dropped a few hints so we'll
now have to wait and see if Santa hears.

threedogs
6th December 2012, 07:42 AM
When sleeping at camp I have the King single self inflating mattress 4" thick, and wake up fine with that.
air beds were a hoax to sleep on, mainly sick of buying chairs.
You'd think someone would have it right by now.

89gqpatrol4x4
6th December 2012, 06:55 PM
When sleeping at camp I have the King single self inflating mattress 4" thick, and wake up fine with that.
air beds were a hoax to sleep on, mainly sick of buying chairs.
You'd think someone would have it right by now.
Hey TD, whats this mattress you are talking about and where do you get them? as I love waking up halfway through the night lying on the ground only to look over and see the missus fast asleep on her side because I have pushed all the air to her side!

MudRunnerTD
6th December 2012, 07:02 PM
Most of the big stores sell the mattress that 3d was talking about. I have a self inflating king single mattress about 4" thick and works well and packs up good into a roll.

It has foam internally for comfort and good support and helps to self inflate.

I got mine from Anaconda on special and paid about $100 for it. I have seen them upwards of $300 though!

Well worth it if your going to use it allot. I got mine for the Madigan trip and am grateful to have had it for that trip.

threedogs
6th December 2012, 07:36 PM
Yeah love the mattress picked it up off Ebay for $40, been used once, tad bulky ,but the rest of bedding packs small, as for the chair I'll try the ARB copy from Bunnings. All previous chairs have been same design, Thanks to everyone for your imput

DX grunt
7th December 2012, 01:17 AM
Us oldies have to stretch out a bit more..... just like this. lol

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/DX%20grunt/Camp%20set%20up/Gruntsden003.jpg

hahahaha

MEGOMONSTER
7th December 2012, 06:50 AM
Us oldies have to stretch out a bit more..... just like this. lol

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/DX%20grunt/Camp%20set%20up/Gruntsden003.jpg

hahahaha

Now that looks a comfy nights sleep Hail Podologists

Pog mo th'oin.

threedogs
7th December 2012, 09:46 AM
Just remembered the mattress name it's a THERMAREST.
The design of chair I have been buying over the years hasn't changed.
So going for a different design, like those recliners though even though
a bit over priced. So off to Bunnings for sure

Whats with the hand lotion beside the bed, near the hand cleansing station, yuk
Poor Ted

threedogs
10th December 2012, 08:16 PM
These look ok for $55 I;ll give it a go but not convinced it will last.
Has a pocket on the side as well

MudRunnerTD
10th December 2012, 08:28 PM
Looks identical to the ARB chair and the OzTrail chair so a great price mate.

Enjoy

threedogs
10th December 2012, 08:34 PM
Yeah and I'l get it even cheaper but still has same components as all the other chairs,
maybe because of the solid hand rail they are a tad more robust, OK I'll try it

threedogs
15th December 2012, 01:12 PM
I am now the proud owner of the new TJM chair.
They swapped me for some work done on one of the guys 4x4,
we'll see how many trips this one lasts. happy camper again

Lonicus
15th December 2012, 03:21 PM
Good stuff mate!

NissanGQ4.2
15th December 2012, 03:50 PM
I am now the proud owner of the new TJM chair.
They swapped me for some work done on one of the guys 4x4,
we'll see how many trips this one lasts. happy camper again

Where the beer and bourbon holder???

Drewboyaus
15th December 2012, 04:26 PM
Looks just like the ARB one.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

threedogs
15th December 2012, 05:57 PM
Gunna unveil it later and see what features if any it has, did notice small pockets on on arm.
we'll see

FNQGU
22nd June 2014, 04:11 PM
Thought I might bump this one back up again.

Has anyone come across any new fancy heavy duty designs recently or is it still the same old same old as per BCF, Bunnings etc.?

Family4x4
22nd June 2014, 04:44 PM
The reclining lace up the side chairs!

A mate had one years ago and some one would always end up sleeping in it around the fire.

That style will be my next chair.

Hodge
22nd June 2014, 04:52 PM
I have an OzTent king kokoda chair, for camping. The best I've sat in personally, and I've tried a few. They were around the $100 mark at the show. I think they go for around 140-150 in the retails store usually.

Winnie
22nd June 2014, 06:18 PM
I have an OzTent king kokoda chair, for camping. The best I've sat in personally, and I've tried a few. They were around the $100 mark at the show. I think they go for around 140-150 in the retails store usually.

That's what I have, best chair I've sat in too. I got it for $90 at the last Wandin show.

Avo
22nd June 2014, 07:39 PM
after many times blowing camping chairs up or down with me fat arse and being replaced under warranty I gave up on that style..we have this sort now and has lasted 3 yrs..no complaint from me or Mrs possum..they take up a bit of room but atleast we are comfortable and not sitting on a esky till our holidays are finished anymore. http://www.vancruiser.com.au/oztrail-resort-5-jumbo-recliner-chair

Drewboyaus
22nd June 2014, 07:59 PM
One of the things about really good camp chairs that browns me off is the packed size......they are nearly all so forking big!
So far the best trade off for me so far is the OzTrail Big Boy. Comfy but at least packs to a reasonable size. My ARB chair is great except for the fact that it's packed size is a joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

cgm
22nd June 2014, 08:28 PM

I had an old model of the Oztent king goanna. Built to take my weight. Had it for at least 5 years and was still going strong (but got left behind in the last move). I looked on the weekend and I notice they have an updated model with better drink holder and stuff now. It is well worth getting the chairs that state they are rated 150kg+. The others just fall apart after having me sit on them constantly (I'm about 120kg). I might try the king kokoda next time too.

cgm
22nd June 2014, 08:31 PM
One of the things about really good camp chairs that browns me off is the packed size......they are nearly all so forking big!
So far the best trade off for me so far is the OzTrail Big Boy. Comfy but at least packs to a reasonable size. My ARB chair is great except for the fact that it's packed size is a joke.

Just looked that one up and it also looks good. Same 150kg rating. I'll check that out as well and see which one I can get out of it and the Oztent ones for the best price. BCF sometimes have specials or members specials, so might get that one at the right price if the timing is right. Keep putting it off until it corresponds with payday and a trip where I really need it. :)

Hodge
22nd June 2014, 08:38 PM

I have to so agree with Drew on this one. As much as the King Kokoda that I have is so comfy, in it's bag, it is as big as a complete packed up bag for my XL Bunker swag! If not bigger... Times it by 2, and that is a lot of volume taken up in the car, or on the roof rack.
Speaking of packing up... I bought the XL bunker, self inflating king matress and king size sleeping bag... I unpacked everything and set it up... When it came time to pack everything up again, I invented new swear words! How in the fark did they squeeze all that stuff in their bags is just beyond me. Especially the self inflating mattress... It's ridiculous.

Winnie
22nd June 2014, 08:46 PM
With the mattress, roll it up as tight as you can with the flaps open and when you get to the end, seal the vents and unroll it. Then you should be able to reroll it even tighter, when you get towards the end open the vents to let all the air out and close them when done. That's the best way to do it.

macca
22nd June 2014, 08:49 PM
Just bought a couple of King Kokoda off eBay, like them over the Goanna because of the solid arm.
Both have the lumbar support and are the most comfortable chair I have sat in.
The local BCF must have about 25 chairs to try, hopefully they are as good as I reckon on our first trip with them!
BCF $129.00 each. eBay $205.00 for 2 delivered

macca
22nd June 2014, 08:52 PM
With the mattress, roll it up as tight as you can with the flaps open and when you get to the end, seal the vents and unroll it. Then you should be able to reroll it even tighter, when you get towards the end open the vents to let all the air out and close them when done. That's the best way to do it.
Edited due to double post

macca
22nd June 2014, 08:59 PM
until its done
Kneeling on it as you roll it helps compress it too, roll a bit - lean on it, roll a bit - lean on its done

Kneeling on it as you roll it helps compress it too, roll a bit - lean on it, roll a bit - lean on it, until its done

that looks better, the edit button is missing whats happening?

threedogs
17th October 2015, 02:34 PM
Aldi's have those fold out lounge style camp chair with lacing up the side on sale 24th of Oct
three colours no link available yet, but sale price will be $49.99 now thats cheap.
They even have stretchers on sale for $39.99

Hodge
17th October 2015, 04:07 PM
Might go and have a look at that. Looks ok. Never had a reclining camping chair. This might be a goer... Still love my king kokoda OZtent.

mudski
17th October 2015, 04:23 PM
King Kododás are awesome. Even better when you get two free!

Hodge
17th October 2015, 04:29 PM
King Kododás are awesome. Even better when you get two free!

Bloody oath.... When I got my two through 4wd action deal, I though ahh yeah I'm subscribing anyway, might as well get 2 cheapo chairs with it...
Little did I know, that they are one of the better chairs out there worth a fair bit each !

threedogs
17th October 2015, 04:45 PM
Now we just need Aldi to sell some 30 second tents

Hodge
17th October 2015, 05:21 PM
Now we just need Aldi to sell some 30 second tents

Would not surprise me one single bit if they come up with something like that.

Playmoney08
4th January 2016, 06:42 PM
It's funny with the Aldi stuff. Some of their products last and last, but others fall apart after the first use. I bought an aluminium fold up table. It's been through high winds and has been awesome, no buckling or anything. Bought their gazebo a few years ago, first time out the poles buckled and I ended up taking it back. Waste of time and money. Same with their camp chairs. We had two - one dies after 2 uses, the other is on it's last legs after 2 years. It's now the dog's chair!

Stropp
4th January 2016, 07:39 PM
i see oztent do a new foldup chair with the arms that actually drop down and you hook them up when you set up the chair, makes it a lot smaller.

AB
4th January 2016, 07:46 PM
http://youtu.be/4XWEU1A0qmI