PDA

View Full Version : Leaf Springs/Shackles - Advice needed

Cuppa
5th December 2012, 12:14 PM
Hi, I have a problem with the rear leaf springs & shackles on my Patrol. The pics below will hopefully do a better job explaining than I can. They show the driver side. The passenger side is similar, but not quite as bad.

As you can see the leaves have 'splayed' out of alignment with each other, & whilst at the recent gathering up on the Murray another member suggested to me that the shackle should be sitting at right angles to the chassis, not pushed back as it appears to be. Unfortunately there were no other leaf sprung models there to use as a comparison.

They have been like this since I bought the vehicle, ie. prior to me fitting out the camper. My assumption is that the leaves have flattened out (sagged) as a result of being overloaded by the previous owner (Telstra). I also believe them to be a non standard HD spring pack. However they are just assumptions made by me & I would welcome input from other sources that know what they are looking at.

I would also welcome advice on what the remedy is. If my assumptions are correct I would further assume that I will need new rear springs. Would I need to replace the shackles too or do they come with the springs anyway? How much should I expect to pay for replacement HD springs?

How likely are they to break as they are? I don't want to risk being stranded somewhere with a snapped rear spring or shackle.

Thanks
Cuppa

threedogs
5th December 2012, 02:48 PM
Hi Cuppa Ideally you want your shackle hanger sitting just off 90 degrees. you start taking weight off and it will straighten up.
No big deal just less travel , This is the front hanger the rears are 2" extended ones.
You may find with all the weight you have you might have to go mine spec,
My mate had a tipper ute 2001 and put a carry boy camper on the back. reckon we put 5 sets of coils in the rear to get it sitting right. You might just held a helper spring added by a spring place such as Carrols in Sydney Rd or Brooklyn spring works, They would custom make a spring pack to suit your 4x4.

threedogs
5th December 2012, 03:51 PM
Bumped,,,, Also have you had your chassis strenthened???. personally now you're basically at the end of your build it's time to sort your suspension out. Get some axle weights front and rear.
Then with all the info in hand like where you expect to take the pod either eg, Zeka spur or Bungle Bungles A good spring place will have your spring pack custom made in no time. I'd bet my left one theres nothing off the shelf that would support all your weight ATM. You don't want it to behave like a Bobcat after all your work.?

Cuppa
6th December 2012, 02:23 PM
Thanks TD.
Any more input folks?

Cuppa

pearcey
6th December 2012, 04:26 PM
Cuppa I`ll get back to you with some info on parrabollic springs and where to contact the supplier. Sorry about the delay but I have a meeting to attend .

threedogs
6th December 2012, 04:44 PM
Cuppa parabollic are great not sure they'd take your weight but wait for what Pearcey says, you get a nice loop and correct distant eye to eye at a spring works your pod should and will walk { flex } great. I've seen those Parabolic in action only 2 leaves , unbelievable. Still thinking you require custom packs made up. NOT MINE SPEC leaf packs with 10-12 leaves in each side, IMO there is nothing off the self to suit as your 4x4 is not off the shelf if you know what I mean. This parabolic place might do custom packs we see soon enough, fingers crossed

pearcey
6th December 2012, 07:12 PM
Hi Cuppa. I`m back
You wont have any problems with weight as a mate has them fitted to his Toyota tray back and has just done the Madigain line and was over the moon about the way they performed. They out performed a similar tray back which has an 8 or 10 leaf pack. I can`t remember exactly how many and I was the one who fitted them. Parrabollic springs have been fitted to the front of Transit vans forever with no probs and they are fitted to a lot of Volvo and Scania trucks with no complaints. They ride and carry the weight a lot better than the big spring packs. The people to get in touch with are. Westralia Springs Welshpool WA Ph 08 94515151 or www. westraliasprings.com.au or in Adelaide Northern spring works 4 Prescott cres Gawler Belt SA Ph 08 85226122. www. northernspringworks.com.au. Hope this is of some help.

Cuppa
6th December 2012, 08:00 PM
Thanks Pearcey.
I'll get the truck weighed before I talk to them. Hopefully they might even be able to put me on to a supplier or fitter over here in Vic. I must admit i'm a tad surprised about the parabolics. They are what we have on our bus (std) & when i enquired about getting them replaced the local springworks seemed to be saying that they were very difficult to come by these days (& recommended a multi leaf pack). I had assumed from that that parabolics were 'old' technology, but seemingly not. I still need to get the bus ones replaced too as the local spring works bloke failed to follow up with finding anything suitable - I don't have a lot of faith in him.

Seems from what TD said earlier that whilst the Patrol springs need replacing, they are not in imminent danger of breaking in normal road use, just less travel, so there is no rush.

Cuppa

pearcey
6th December 2012, 08:48 PM
Cuppa .
Good to see some one going about things the right way
I wxxKed in the truck, car, trailer and caravan brake and suspension industry for 50 years and have have never seen a parabolic
spring broken. They are now making them for 6x4 trailers, tandem trailers and caravans. I think they are great as they remove a lot of
unsprung weight from the vehicle, ie 2 leafs instead of a 8 or 10 leaf pack. They also give a mach better ride and possibly better handling