PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Rattle!

boosh
3rd December 2012, 03:13 PM
So recently my turbo died... So I replaced it. Brand new Garrett.

Before it died the engine light was coming on and I thought it was the fuel filter. I've got a new filter, didn't turn it off.

Then the turbo died, thought it might've been something to do with that, still stayed on.
The intercooler was leaking pretty bad so I replaced that and installed a catch can.
I've also put EGT and boost gauge on, and blocked EGR valve

It's running a lot better and quite. It idles very smooth but the light is still on and I'm sure it's got something to do with the fuel system because sometimes when I start it, it will make a TERRIBLE rattling noise. If I let it idle or drive it, it doesn't stop.

But if I turn my car off then start it again with my foot resting on the accelerator, it doesn't make any bad noises and idles like a dream!
I don't need to give it a boot, just resting my foot on it stops this god awful rattle...

Any ideas what might be going on?

threedogs
3rd December 2012, 03:27 PM
Hopefully just something loose under the bonnet IMO
Check engine cover touching catch can hoses etc, make sure all feels tight

MEGOMONSTER
3rd December 2012, 04:31 PM
Have you pinpointed area of rattle. ie: in the engine bay, top of engine bay , bottom of bay, back of bay near fire wall, louder from inside of cab, underneath like exhaust bracket rattle. Have you got all your spanners back in your set.

Never argue with an idiot, cos he'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience. Y2K

threedogs
3rd December 2012, 04:34 PM
Maybe the heat sheild on the CAT ,that'll work loose?

boosh
3rd December 2012, 04:54 PM
It's definitely louder in the engine bay. I put a screwdriver against a few things but still couldn't pin point it...

I did think it was the cat, mainly because the exhaust sucked 8L of oil through when the turbo died, I'm just confused that it doesn't rattle if I give it a small amount of throttle when I start it...

mudski
5th December 2012, 07:30 PM
All the injector lines up tight? As the acc pedal is electronic and it doesn't do it when your foot is on the pedal it sounds to me a fuel leakage and the rattle is the engine sucking in air from somewhere. When you put your foot on the pedal and start it, it must be stopping the air from getting in the fuel line/s. I remember my older Patrol having air sucking in from an injector line and it gave an awful rattle.

Yendor
5th December 2012, 09:17 PM
When you replaced the fuel filter was there any water or gunk in the old filter?

As a test try unplugging the sensor from the bottom of the fuel filter and see if this turns off the light, it might be a faulty sensor.