PDA

View Full Version : Coals on top or not

threedogs
3rd December 2012, 03:33 PM
Seems a few or one nameless person that reckons you don't put coals on top of a Camp Oven.
We cooked a double roast using this method, roasting a leg of lamb and a pork rolled loin. personally I would have put coals on top we didn't and roast was faultless. We are talking roast here NOT STEW. If Mods could put one of those polls on this that would be great. Me I'm a Coals On Top {COT} kind of guy. We shall see oh nameless one lol

lorrieandjas
3rd December 2012, 03:35 PM
Personally always put coals on top. No different in my opinion than a normal oven with top and bottom element.

Jas

Sir Roofy
3rd December 2012, 03:38 PM
We put coals top and bottom not to far from the fire

Bob
3rd December 2012, 03:47 PM
OK I will declare my Hand.

I am a NCOT (No Coals on Top) LOL

This was brought about by a Drunken Bum of a Mate who decided to check on my Camp Oven (which had Coals on Top) and spilt the coals into the Camp Oven.
I was not that impressed and have never put Coals on Top again (As I have quite a few Drunken Mates)

As Threedogs stated not having Coals on Top did not affect the Roast we had . In fact it was brilliant.

macca
3rd December 2012, 03:57 PM
COT definately, BUT, used some malley once and it was too hot so ended up with NCOT and the crackling on the pork was to die for, mmm mmm mmm mmmm mmmm.

AB
3rd December 2012, 04:02 PM
OK I will declare my Hand.

I am a NCOT (No Coals on Top) LOL

This was brought about by a Drunken Bum of a Mate who decided to check on my Camp Oven (which had Coals on Top) and spilt the coals into the Camp Oven.
I was not that impressed and have never put Coals on Top again (As I have quite a few Drunken Mates)

As Threedogs stated not having Coals on Top did not affect the Roast we had . In fact it was brilliant.

x 2 with Bob, happy to confess I am not a coal on top bloke...lol

Exact same story as Bob's except I was the drunken bum who spilt the coals into the pot...Never coals on top ever again and my roasts are to die for...LMAO!!!....Yummo!

MEGOMONSTER
3rd December 2012, 04:06 PM
I'm not a camp oven man myself, but was always told coals on top. For a roast I will ALWAYS use my Auspit for roasting, rolled pork, side of beef, whole chicken. I think it's the fun of watching it cook, smelling it cook and salivating as it cooks.

Never argue with an idiot, cos he'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience. Y2K

Steve4wdin
3rd December 2012, 04:29 PM
I dig a hole right beside the fire , deep enough for about 6-8" of caols. and half the camp oven. you than don`t need Coals on top in case of well you know!!!!!!!!!!

Maxhead
3rd December 2012, 04:52 PM
Sober = COT, Drunk = NCOT works everytime ;)

MEGOMONSTER
3rd December 2012, 04:53 PM
I dig a hole right beside the fire , deep enough for about 6-8" of caols. and half the camp oven. you than don`t need Coals on top in case of well you know!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed that's how my mate does it

Never argue with an idiot, cos he'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience. Y2K

MEGOMONSTER
3rd December 2012, 04:55 PM

This has to be the correct answer and will be scribed into the chambers of the secret society of Patrology. Good work Master Nisshead.

janderson
3rd December 2012, 04:59 PM
x 2 with Bob, happy to confess I am not a coal on top bloke...lol

Exact same story as Bob's except I was the drunken bum who spilt the coals into the pot...Never coals on top ever again and my roasts are to die for...LMAO!!!....Yummo!

Eating of charcoal is supposed to prevent farting.

Sir Roofy
3rd December 2012, 05:01 PM
x 2 with bob, happy to confess i am not a coal on top bloke...lol

exact same story as bob's except i was the drunken bum who spilt the coals into the pot...never coals on top ever again and my roasts are to die for...lmao!!!....yummo!

your up next for the cook up mate we,ve done a couple fletcha and the shep crew, now its andys turn
yum cant wait

lorrieandjas
3rd December 2012, 05:02 PM
Eating of charcoal is supposed to prevent farting.

Yeah - but it also absorbs alcohol!

MEGOMONSTER
3rd December 2012, 05:05 PM

Now we can't have that at camp, just as bad a Kum bay ya

janderson
3rd December 2012, 05:08 PM

No it doesn’t absorb alcohol. I make my own alcohol and it is filtered thru charcoal to remove the impurities.

Sir Roofy
3rd December 2012, 05:10 PM
ok i will declare my hand.

I am a ncot (no coals on top) lol

this was brought about by a drunken bum of a mate who decided to check on my camp oven (which had coals on top) and spilt the coals into the camp oven.
I was not that impressed and have never put coals on top again (as i have quite a few drunken mates)

as threedogs stated not having coals on top did not affect the roast we had . In fact it was brilliant.

dont forget mate that camp oven of td is a mean mother,once heated it takes all night to cool
down

Stropp
3rd December 2012, 06:24 PM
im a on top man, coals that is!!!

threedogs
3rd December 2012, 06:49 PM
As roofy stated my camp oven is very different from others, shite I would have lit another fire on the lid just to get the crackle on the pork going.
Like Nissheads rules but gee gunna be hard to stop a drunk bloke from someone else touching his roast,let alone tell him how to cook.
As you know drunks know everything

growler2058
3rd December 2012, 06:50 PM
COT 4 me

Sent from my tapped out thumbs

Winnie
3rd December 2012, 06:50 PM
COT for me. I've never not put coals on top but have had close calls with coal falling in lol no disasters yet (touch wood)

threedogs
3rd December 2012, 06:52 PM
Also need a STICKY for camp RULES,

89gqpatrol4x4
3rd December 2012, 06:54 PM
COT for me to! and it's a good clean for your guts if you eat some!

NissanGQ4.2
3rd December 2012, 07:03 PM

So in other words Kris only cooks NCOT

I never go camping any more so don't have this problem but when I use 2 go camping I was 2 busy drinking to worry about eating :):):)

threedogs
3rd December 2012, 07:10 PM
$100 budget for camping $98 for beer and $2 worth of baked beans, remember those days well

janderson
3rd December 2012, 07:13 PM
$100 budget for camping $98 for beer and $2 worth of baked beans, remember those days well

Before living here. 2 weeks camp at river, I took 14 slabs. None left to take home.

Winnie
3rd December 2012, 07:17 PM

That's me lol but I splurge on the food and spend $10 on steak and only $90 on beer.

Maxhead
3rd December 2012, 07:28 PM
So in other words Kris only cooks NCOT

I never go camping any more so don't have this problem but when I use 2 go camping I was 2 busy drinking to worry about eating :):):)

I'm bit the same Toddo, don't have too much in the evenings so I've been known to cook a roast in the morning to have it for lunch.....nothing wrong with that. All the cooking out of the way ready for drinking!

taslucas
3rd December 2012, 07:42 PM
Gotta put coals on top here to stop the lid freezing on

Lmao

Tap, crackle, pop

threedogs
3rd December 2012, 07:45 PM
I hear you bro lol

Bob
3rd December 2012, 07:47 PM
It is not as clear cut as you thought TD

LOL

threedogs
3rd December 2012, 07:59 PM
It certainly is a can of worms, from most answers I gather its better not to have COT if drinking, and as we we know if you ask someone are they plist or not you'll always hear them say she'll be right, Thus your ashes in your meal. Then you'll get a cook from the circus with a bad case of wobbly boot and its into the tuckerbox for the baked beans, Still more answers to come, not clear cut yet 50/50 I reckon

Bigrig
3rd December 2012, 08:07 PM
Coals on top ... period ...

It's a camp "oven" ... not a camp "stove top"!! lol

Truth be told - I've never done it myself .... Sandra and Bec always sort that, always have coals on top (I think ... yep, I drink a lot!!), and it's always to die for!!!

gmoneeeee
14th June 2013, 06:10 PM

I very much agree and approve of this message.

The BigFella
15th June 2013, 06:53 AM
Depends on what I'm roasting, usually COT but if it calls for a longer softer roast then NCOT.
Complicated aye,,,,,,,,

oncedisturbed
15th June 2013, 07:57 AM
If you have a look at the aussie camp oven forums, there is a section dedicated to the amount of coals / heat beads to use and relevant timeframe. Basically depends on what you are cooking at the time whether you have COT / NCOT - some COT and more underneath or the other way round.

threedogs
15th June 2013, 08:30 AM
I like baking bread at camp so COT for that, some do their roasts in oven bags then brown for last 1/2 hr or so,so more COT
Roast pork would require COT to produce a decent crackle
. Either way I dont care as anything cooked well in a camp oven is the winner.
next debate is trivet or no trivet, lol

happygu
15th June 2013, 09:25 AM
I have always put coals on top, but you guys have opened my eyes to the possibilities ....... oooohhhhh, the possibilities

TPC
15th June 2013, 12:12 PM
I like baking bread at camp so COT for that, some do their roasts in oven bags then brown for last 1/2 hr or so,so more COT
Roast pork would require COT to produce a decent crackle
. Either way I dont care as anything cooked well in a camp oven is the winner.
next debate is trivet or no trivet, lol

I have always had coals on top and I drink a lot when camping but never get ash in my meal. (or to drunk to notice)
I will often have no or little coals underneath depending on what I am cooking.
Roast I have the trivet in and coals on top and underneath, leave it for 1 hr and its perfect.
Lamb shanks I have no trivet, coals on top only changing them every 1/2 to 1 hr and cook for about 2 1/2 to 3 hrs and they are perfect.

Avo
15th June 2013, 12:12 PM
I use COT most times but you have to be careful of not tipping the coals in when lifting lid off.Somehow I am good at this without trying to hard.never got crackling happening in the campoven but,amature obvisiously

threedogs
15th June 2013, 12:45 PM
Think BigFella is getting some cast iron Trivets made, Something decent not just cake racks,
I tip a cup of stock in with the roast, meat just breaks apart. Always like to try different stuff,
Better tease with some pics,,this camp oven weighs 35kg, its a hoot to cook with homemade

TPC
15th June 2013, 01:16 PM
Here is what happens when you forget about the camp oven.

mudnut
15th June 2013, 01:27 PM
Freshly shot black duck with fruit sauce cooked slowly in the camp oven, served with garlic damper and steamed veggies ... COT.

threedogs
15th June 2013, 03:09 PM
@ TPC what are we calling that dish over caramelised or burnished, either way looks a tad over done.
Good tip is put your roast into silver foil dish and splash some stock in it, 1/2 cup is good. Never have a tough roast again.
Heres some meals and a home made trivet for next camp. Horseshoe is off a Clydesdale BTW

TPC
15th June 2013, 03:49 PM
That was not mine 3D, it was a mates, I have way to much respect for food to overcook it.
I always make a bit of stock to go in with the roast and never had a tough one.

threedogs
15th June 2013, 04:56 PM
@ TPC in the words of Jed Clampett,,"pityful, just pityful" lol

MudRunnerTD
13th May 2015, 08:51 AM
Saw this on FaceBook and immediately thought of this thread! Time to dispel the myth!

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/05/93.jpg

There you go! Coals on Top

Bob
13th May 2015, 09:04 AM
Saw this on FaceBook and immediately thought of this thread! Time to dispel the myth!

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/05/93.jpg

There you go! Coals on Top

Thats OK as long as you dont have any Drunken Bums in the Camp LMAO

threedogs
13th May 2015, 09:16 AM
X 2 with Bob plus I think that guide is for the Hill Billy range of camp ovens.[spun tin]
We proved it up the Murray,,,, made no difference to the roast if coals were on top or not.
As Bob suggests it better with no coals on tops especially if someone has
had too many and wants to be Chef, could end up very bad IMO
If you want more heat on top put the lid on the fire for ten minutes, then return it to your oven

Sir Roofy
13th May 2015, 09:45 AM
X 2 with Bob plus I think that guide is for the Hill Billy range of camp ovens.[spun tin]
We proved it up the Murray,,,, made no difference to the roast if coals were on top or not.
As Bob suggests it better with no coals on tops especially if someone has
had too many and wants to be Chef, could end up very bad IMO
If you want more heat on top put the lid on the fire for ten minutes, then return it to your oven

@john you amaze me at times

@ bob always coals on top and I was,nt drunk last time I cooked for us lol

threedogs
13th June 2015, 08:32 AM
As there is a sort of push for NCOT next trip I'll take one of my cast iron cauldrons if thats what there're called.
Body is cast iron and range in size from 1 gallon to big 10 gallon numbers. Plenty of room for heaps of veggies
as well. Good enough for our pioneers eh

Very collectable too, two types one is Kendricks & Sons, first quality
The other is T&C Clarke and Sons