PDA

View Full Version : GU Clutch not fully disengaging

Corski
3rd December 2012, 12:45 PM
Hi
So, my 2.8TD has presented me with a hefty bill for repairs this year already, and I am looking at another kick in the groin now.

About 1 month ago half way out on a 3 hour round trip to recover my friend from his broken down car I stopped off at a gas station and when I went to continue my journey the clutch pedal had gone a bit light to depress and getting it into a gear was a little tougher than before. I continued regardless. Over the next week it got progressively worse to the point where I was having to pump the clutch 3 or 4 times and give her a few revs to get gears. I took it to my mechanic (whom I have trusted faithfully since owning the car) and his opinion was that the master or slave clutch cylinder had a leak and clutch fluid was bypassing the piston head. I had both master and slave replaced and new fluid. Everything was fine again...

3 weeks later, after a longer nearly 2 hour drive, the same has happened again, light clutch, awkward gear selection and this time when the clutch is depressed I can still give it some gas and the car will still drive forward. The only other difference is that the bottom inch of the clutch depression is really tough. RAC just said it's internal and got me a tow.

Anyone got anything similar? Or know of where this is going?

Also, a knowledgable competant Patrol mechanic in the Fremantle Area would be greatly appreciated.

Corey

Corski
7th December 2012, 06:02 PM
After the mechanics initial inspection looks like the clutch lever isn't sitting centrally through the opening in the bell housing. So probably going to need a new clutch lever and/or connection kit. He also spotted that on the hydraulics that operate the lever when you pull the rubber boot back that the piston is nearly pulling back out of the cylinder. This isprobably why it felt like it would work if I could press the clutch pedal another inch down into the footwell.

Will let you know the full story once works are complete.

pearcey
7th December 2012, 08:14 PM
G`day Corski
I think that you may have a broken pressure plate diaphragm.The diaphragm gets a crack ini between the fingers and as the crack widens with every depression of the pedal the clutch gets lighter and lighter and dosen`t lift the plate high enough to release correctly.Also the clutch will more often than not will slip.Also check the fork and pivot as the forks do crack.