PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Trip

lorrieandjas
3rd December 2012, 12:44 PM
Hi all - planning to drive to Sydney from Brisbane on the weekend prior to Christmas. Going to leave late Friday night/early Saturday morning and stop in at Armidale overnight on the way down - going the New England. Planning to stay in Sydney until the Friday after Christmas and stop for three nights at different spots on the way back. I have driven the Brisbane-Sydney run a heap of times but normally non-stop.

Any thoughts as to stops/route on the way back? I have no preference over the Pacific versus New England but wouldn't mind an "interesting" drive back with some overnighters thrown in? Probably stay in motels rather than camp due to having 10 week old twins. If anyone has done this but in perhaps a more unconventional way (ie - not staying on the freeways/highways) I'd be interested to hear your views.

Jas

ozzyboy
3rd December 2012, 01:25 PM
hi there.
I am almost doing an identical trip myself. 21st to brisbane. 22nd to western sydney. boxing day to the entrance ( central coast ) and then either back to rocky via brisbane or back to canberra for summernats and then home.

Myself, for a overnighter, i like one mile beach near port stephens. great fishing. or even a tad further north is harrington, not far from taree.
Then a stop at broadwater np. again good fishing and some driving on the beach.

Others will have different ideas, but i will be doing that :)

ozz

lorrieandjas
3rd December 2012, 01:29 PM
Thanks ozz. Port Stephens is a great spot. Used to spend a lot of time near Forster/Bulahdelah over Christmas so know it pretty well. I'll look up one mile beach.

Jas

ozzyboy
3rd December 2012, 02:00 PM
one mile beach, port stephens

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo166/ozzyboy2000/onemilebeach.jpg

ozz

lorrieandjas
3rd December 2012, 02:30 PM
Hi mate - thanks again. What's biting usually there? Looks a great spot.

Jas

ozzyboy
3rd December 2012, 04:11 PM
Hi mate - thanks again. What's biting usually there? Looks a great spot.

Jas

there r 2 things you would fish for here. the water is clear as i've seen.
1. you see the live bait come around the point, and follow the coastline around. From across the cove, ( a good couple hundred metres ), you will see the kingfish chase them. have a livey in there ready to be eaten :)
2. While you have your live bay out in the cove, have a light rod fishing the whitewater in the crevass beside you. Enough taylor in there to keep you more than busy :)

ozz

lorrieandjas
3rd December 2012, 04:40 PM
Thanks again mate. Don't mind the old tailor - used to love fishing for them at midnight to 3am under the Spit Bridge in Sydney when the tides were right. Used to pull in 30-40 a night and a couple of flatties as well.

Jas

MEGOMONSTER
3rd December 2012, 05:02 PM
Just after Xmas I will be driving to Noosa then down the coast stopping where we want or probably where we can find accommodation then last stop will be Narooma.( for now. )

Never argue with an idiot, cos he'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience. Y2K

Bigrig
3rd December 2012, 07:43 PM
Oz

You still stayin over our joint??

Jase

Stop in and camp for a night for a g'day and a coldie mate!!

ozzyboy
3rd December 2012, 08:41 PM
Oz

Jase

sure am mate. 21st wasn't it?
Won't have the patrol. work ute towing camper with fleet card seems a tad cheaper than driving the tb42e with wallet open. About 4000 k's worth of fuel cheaper :)

ozz

lorrieandjas
3rd December 2012, 11:50 PM
Oz

Jase

Hey mate - now that could be arranged. Where are you located (or PM me if you prefer). Hope you don't mind twin bubs keeping you awake!

Jas

Bigrig
4th December 2012, 06:58 AM
sure am mate. 21st wasn't it?
Won't have the patrol. work ute towing camper with fleet card seems a tad cheaper than driving the tb42e with wallet open. About 4000 k's worth of fuel cheaper :)

ozz

See you then!!!

Bigrig
4th December 2012, 07:00 AM
Hey mate - now that could be arranged. Where are you located (or PM me if you prefer). Hope you don't mind twin bubs keeping you awake!

Jas

I'll send PM now mate - twin bubs doesn't worry us ...

lorrieandjas
4th December 2012, 07:32 AM
Got it - thanks mate! Will sort the details and come back to you.

Jas

kevin07
4th December 2012, 02:00 PM
Hi all - planning to drive to Sydney from Brisbane on the weekend prior to Christmas. Going to leave late Friday night/early Saturday morning and stop in at Armidale overnight on the way down - going the New England. Planning to stay in Sydney until the Friday after Christmas and stop for three nights at different spots on the way back. I have driven the Brisbane-Sydney run a heap of times but normally non-stop.

Any thoughts as to stops/route on the way back? I have no preference over the Pacific versus New England but wouldn't mind an "interesting" drive back with some overnighters thrown in? Probably stay in motels rather than camp due to having 10 week old twins. If anyone has done this but in perhaps a more unconventional way (ie - not staying on the freeways/highways) I'd be interested to hear your views.

Jas

gotta go up thunderbolts way stop in at glouchester beutiful country up there great stop off on the way overlooks the valley

lorrieandjas
5th December 2012, 12:25 AM
hi there.
I am almost doing an identical trip myself. 21st to brisbane. 22nd to western sydney. boxing day to the entrance ( central coast ) and then either back to rocky via brisbane or back to canberra for summernats and then home.

Myself, for a overnighter, i like one mile beach near port stephens. great fishing. or even a tad further north is harrington, not far from taree.
Then a stop at broadwater np. again good fishing and some driving on the beach.

Others will have different ideas, but i will be doing that :)

ozz

Hey ozz - where in Western Sydney you heading? I'm heading out that way myself. Convoy? Sounds like hotel Bigrig is on the cards!

Jas