PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Hubs question

Anaurath
30th November 2012, 01:02 AM
Hi Guys,

Some days ago I started to think about a simple thing about hubs that I'm sure someone here will be able to clarify...

My GU 98, have the typical front hubs with two switch options: AUTO and LOCK. By default I´m always running with AUTO.

Since I understood, when AUTO is selected on HUBS, as soon as you engage 4H the hubs automatically attach the wheels to the shafts assuring total traction to the vehicle. When switching back to 2H, then the wheels are detached from the shafts and they become free again.

My question comes then about LOCK position. What this position does? What is intended for?

Thanks in advance,

lorrieandjas
30th November 2012, 01:05 AM
Hi mate - it locks the hubs in permanently without waiting for roll to engage. Also means you can switch from 2H to 4H at 80km/hr rather than 45km/hr.

Jas

Anaurath
30th November 2012, 06:31 PM
Hi Jas,

thanks for your reply!!!

So, from what you said I presume that when LOCK is switched, all mechanisms related to the front transmission are passively working even when we are just using 2H (and eventually they wear without too much sense).

In addition, and just from my point of view (although maybe I'm missing something important), since this car does not have a central diff, make it run 4WD over 80km/h could be dangerous since there is no traction balancing between rear and front axle. At this point my question is, makes sense that the only benefit of LOCK is to make possible to switch from 2H to 4H at speeds over 80km/h?

Thanks in advance,