PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used a tiger z winch?

Rossco
22nd June 2010, 09:41 PM
Just wondering if anyone has had much experience with a tiger z winch? They look pretty good on paper, waterproof wireless, come with plasma rope and way cheaper than warn or other brands. I am considering getting one so any advice from anyone who has used one in the bush would be awsome.

Cheers blokes.

Timbo
22nd June 2010, 09:54 PM
G'day Rosco,

I need a new winch myself after the original Warn one that came with my truck died.

I looked into a Tigerz one a while ago.. I found this youtube vid which is a 4WD TV episode when they fitted one to an ARB winch bar.

Tigerz Winch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=AU&hl=en-GB&v=YrfEkhf3--M)

From what I've read around the internet on different forums etc, I haven't read a bad comment. For the price, I think it's awesome value.
As the video says though, make sure you get one from a local supplier that offers a local warranty and backs it up with parts..locally. :)

Cheers

GU89
22nd June 2010, 10:08 PM
My best mate has a tigerz11 winch which is 6months old and surprisingly outperformed my expectations with reliability and speed/power so far. Seems to be very good value for money

panda
22nd June 2010, 10:48 PM
my mate has one... seems pretty good... lots of power... its been abused quite a bit... when he gets stuck.. its stuck... dragged him up a hill for around 20m... fully bellied out.. all 4 wheels off the ground... (stupid stockies)
still going strong to this day.
ohh.. car is a tb42 lwb patrol gq

GQ WAGHOON
21st August 2010, 11:13 AM
Know a few guys with them, and all are very happy. Amazing winch, especially for the price.

GUte
2nd February 2011, 12:14 AM
After getting bellied in a shallow river yesterday, my mate was having trouble getting a good enough run up to snatch me out. Fitted a tigerz11 winch to my bar this evening, if I had a winch i would of been out in 5 min. Cant wait to test it out, hopefully its as good as everyone says thay are and I get several years use out of it.

threedogs
18th January 2013, 11:48 PM
If anyone has a Tigerz winch can they read the fine print and let me know if it says not for off road use?
I was told this is true

mudski
19th January 2013, 12:30 AM
If anyone has a Tigerz winch can they read the fine print and let me know if it says not for off road use?
I was told this is true

Bahaha!!! you have got to be kidding me.

threedogs
19th January 2013, 12:39 AM
Nah True story thats from guys at 4x4 shop, either Tigerz or Aldi ,I'll figure it out
you home alone again, unshaven y fronts on backwards, pizza boxes everywhere

NP99
14th May 2013, 01:14 AM
More good words!

04OFF
14th May 2013, 06:48 AM
I was told this is true

Bwahaha, that would be very funny if true.

Assuming its not just the newer ones (as ive had mine over 14 months), think ive still got the box my winch came in, and i just came across the owners manual the other day, so ill have a look 3D.

It certainly does not say anything like that on the winch sticker anyway.

I used to know a lot of people that could put a "not for off road use" on their 4wd, some only going off road "once" in 2 or 3 years.........pffft, just buy a getz or something ! :tease:

BigRAWesty
14th May 2013, 07:14 AM
Bwahaha, that would be very funny if true.

Assuming its not just the newer ones (as ive had mine over 14 months), think ive still got the box my winch came in, and i just came across the owners manual the other day, so ill have a look 3D.

It certainly does not say anything like that on the winch sticker anyway.

I used to know a lot of people that could put a "not for off road use" on their 4wd, some only going off road "once" in 2 or 3 years.........pffft, just buy a getz or something ! :tease:

Hmmmm... It is true actually.. and one of the many reasons for pissed off people when trying to get warranty parts..
Someone did post a pic of it a while ago either here or that other patrol site..
I seem to remember TD finding it but could be wrong..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

04OFF
14th May 2013, 08:22 AM
Well, went right over the Tigerz box , no such mention, it does have a big "OFF ROAD" written on the side.

Then i took to the owners manual, read through "every" bit of text , does NOT mention anything like "not for off road use", it does say "solely for vehicle and boat mounted, non-industrial applications".

:)

Phew !, at least mines OK use on the dirt then.............bwhahahahahh ! :bowdown:

Bloodyaussie
14th May 2013, 08:54 AM
Chinese whispers hey..........

pbk1776
14th May 2013, 09:03 AM
if this is true - I will remind myself to read it tonight
I just bought a Hercules 12000lbs plasma winch
last weekend

I will be kicking myself if this is true

BigRAWesty
14th May 2013, 10:39 AM
They may have changed it. I remember seeing it, but was a while back now..
Ill have a hunt tonight.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

threedogs
14th May 2013, 11:10 AM
True story I've seen it, but they may have changed the booklet.
As for TJM winches they are Made by TJM China to their specs.

mudnut
14th May 2013, 11:36 AM
The Aldi winch I picked up, cheap, had water in the gearbox. After spending quite some time cleaning and regreasing it, I have added an extra O ring to the clutch handle, and have used silicon to make seals for the cable drum. I used an electrical Junction box which seals properly, for the control box. when all of it has dried for a few days, I will put it in a big container of water and run it. Fingers crossed.

robbo0001
15th May 2013, 06:36 AM
Tigerz 12000, no "no offroad use only sticker"on ours.
Works well, good price.

Irish
16th May 2013, 08:16 AM
As for TJM winches they are Made by TJM China to their specs.

As are the Tigerz ones according to them.

Have one, it works great, has never let me down.

Blownlc
16th May 2013, 08:29 AM
I have the 12000lb grande on my rig. Haven't used for its purpose yet. However I used it to lower a mini minor shell down my old mans driveway that goes down to to the basement, which is quite steep.
The winch is very noisy, it started to make a grinding sound and really slowed down. I stopped which for a second and then restarted and it seemed to be fine. I don't think this is normal, should I rip it out and take it back? Any thoughts?

LESS YAP YAP, MORE TAP TAP!!

Bloodyaussie
16th May 2013, 08:42 AM
Did you have the engine running and did you increase the revs to cope with the load??????

Remember it is an electric winch and if you get a voltage drop it is not good for the winch...

threedogs
16th May 2013, 08:49 AM
They all seem to do the job ,but has anyone tried getting spares or overhaul kits for them.
Might just be other products that are Shite like awning.

Blownlc
16th May 2013, 10:56 AM
The engine was running and I flicked the engine warm up button to lift the revs. What range do you think the revs should be at?

LESS YAP YAP, MORE TAP TAP!!

Forced Offroad
16th May 2013, 11:02 AM
They all seem to do the job ,but has anyone tried getting spares or overhaul kits for them.
Might just be other products that are Shite like awning.

you can get a winch service kit or the Tigerz through super Cheap Auto. Tigerz,Roo,Ridge Ryder and BCF are all selling the the same winch at various Prices...
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Ridge-Ryder-4WD-Winch-Service-Kit.aspx?pid=326361#Cross
Its not a overhaul kit but if your needs a new service with seals and new solenoid this will get you out of trouble foe $100

mudnut
16th May 2013, 05:33 PM
The Aldi winch I picked up, cheap, had water in the gearbox. After spending quite some time cleaning and regreasing it, I have added an extra O ring to the clutch handle, and have used silicon to make seals for the cable drum. I used an electrical Junction box which seals properly, for the control box. when all of it has dried for a few days, I will put it in a big container of water and run it. Fingers crossed.

Ran the winch in a 40 litre container and then stripped it down, not a drop made it past the new seals. Feel a lot happier fitting it to the Old Trol now.

Bloodyaussie
16th May 2013, 05:38 PM
Ran the winch in a 40 litre container and then stripped it down, not a drop made it past the new seals. Feel a lot happier fitting it to the Old Trol now.

Brilliant mate......

Avo
20th May 2013, 10:28 AM
Apparently,the melbourne 4x4 show won't be having the tigerz and Roo systems partake as a few of the bigger players have gotten a bit upset with the newcomer.I am part of another online forum where there is a write up about it.

MudRunnerTD
20th May 2013, 10:38 AM
Apparently,the melbourne 4x4 show won't be having the tigerz and Roo systems partake as a few of the bigger players have gotten a bit upset with the newcomer.I am part of another online forum where there is a write up about it.

Hi mate there is a 25 page write up here too and pretty well every 4wd forum on the net also has a big thread about it. "a bit upset with the newcomer" does not even come close to the whole story there mate, Have a bit of a search around the web and you will find sooo much more too it. Mr Roothy calling the rest of us "Un Australian" while he peddles his cheap Chinese copies of Australian made and designed product that he ripped off his previous Advertisers is a little more than people getting upset with a Newcomer. The leeches should stay home. Happy Days

Avo
20th May 2013, 08:03 PM
Takes me half an hour to find what i wrote ealier in the day but will try and find it.Stay calm and have a beer i am new here and will find my way as i go.No i didn't take offence to what you said and i will read the thread if i find it.Sounds like a lot of people don't have a problem with there winches but....
I will now flip that lid and hop back in my box............................and do some research

Cheers neil

Avo
20th May 2013, 08:28 PM
i have found it and now onto page 4 of 42.Thanks mudRunertd,there goes my night.

threedogs
20th May 2013, 09:23 PM
@ Blownic when you raise the revs it excites the reg on the alternator activating charging mode, boy hope I got that right.
Winches can pull some ridiculas amounts of amps , most 4x4 have deep cycle aux battery not ideal for winching but great for camping.
Winches like batteries with high CCA great for winching not good for camping, so its a trade off for Aussie way of life.

@ MR need anymore emails ??