PDA

View Full Version : Loose wheel nuts

lorrieandjas
27th November 2012, 04:32 PM
Just checked my wheel nuts today (2012 GU 8) and you guessed it - the indicators had moved and they were a little loose on the rear LHS wheel. Looks like this issue still prevails.

Jas

Maxhead
27th November 2012, 04:34 PM
Just checked my wheel nuts today (2012 GU 8) and you guessed it - the indicators had moved and they were a little loose on the rear LHS wheel. Looks like this issue still prevails.

Jas

I don;t think the issue will go away if Nissan sticks with the same wheels. Mine loosened up a fair bit on my trip and that was the main reason I now have steelies....so far so good

lorrieandjas
27th November 2012, 04:37 PM
Definitely worth looking at Nisshead. To be fair this is one of those areas where this forum has been invaluable. If you were Joe Blow punter who just drove around the first time you'd know about this issue would be when you're rear left wheel was rolling in front of you!

Jas

Maxhead
27th November 2012, 04:51 PM
Definitely worth looking at Nisshead. To be fair this is one of those areas where this forum has been invaluable. If you were Joe Blow punter who just drove around the first time you'd know about this issue would be when you're rear left wheel was rolling in front of you!

Jas

Yep, unfortunately that is the truth. There are thousands of Patrol drivers out there not aware of any issues what so ever. That is why this forum if so great!
Mind you there are lots of people out there that never heard of a 3.0l grenade problem and are still happily towing a 3t van with 300000+ km on the troll...lol

threedogs
27th November 2012, 05:15 PM
Good way to get free trailer wheels, but too far gone to repair, will happen with steel rims too. re torque after 15-20 Ks IMO. Got a good home for ones that come off, Thread on steel and alloy with pics somewhere

lorrieandjas
27th November 2012, 05:58 PM
Hey threedogs. Needed to re-torque after a couple of thousand kms!

NissanGQ4.2
27th November 2012, 05:59 PM
yep I lost one wheel nut the other day on my GQ :(

$4 dollars later, good as new. In 10+ years never had a problem but know I better keep my eye on them a bit better.

TimE
27th November 2012, 06:03 PM
Nissan's escape responsibility video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Kj4rSRbA67A

lorrieandjas
27th November 2012, 06:04 PM
yep I lost one wheel nut the other day on my GQ :(

$4 dollars later, good as new. In 10+ years never had a problem but know I better keep my eye on them a bit better.

Glad it was only one and not the whole lot! That would've been an expensive repair!

Jas

NissanGQ4.2
27th November 2012, 06:19 PM
Glad it was only one and not the whole lot! That would've been an expensive repair!

Jas

Your not wrong Jas, I always read threads on here about the wheel nut loosening with allows and always thought I must of got lucky that I never had that issue. Doesn't seem to be the case now :(

lorrieandjas
27th November 2012, 06:27 PM
I know this is a well-known issue but it does have me a little stumped why Nissan haven't re-engineered it to solve the problem. We're not talking about cutting edge science here. And I'd hate to hear someone got hurt or worse because of it. Like I said before - if it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't have even thought about it!

threedogs
27th November 2012, 06:49 PM
I have seen damage done, it's not cheap, think Mr Nissan may have wiped his hands clean of this matter now

DX grunt
27th November 2012, 08:43 PM
Whenever this thread surfaces, I check my nuts. lol

You guys are making me paranoid - and I've got STEELIES!!

It should be part of your REGULAR, ROUTINE maintenance. Shouldn't it??

nissannewby
27th November 2012, 08:46 PM
It will almost always happen on the LHS due to nature of it. Has anyone tried sourcing LH thread wheel studs for the left hand side? This could solve this issue. It will still happen to other patrols and wheels just not as readily as these factory units. As others have stated its still a good idea to keep a check on these, I always check mine before a 50+km trip or before towing.

Sir Roofy
27th November 2012, 08:47 PM
i know this is a well-known issue but it does have me a little stumped why nissan haven't re-engineered it to solve the problem. We're not talking about cutting edge science here. And i'd hate to hear someone got hurt or worse because of it. Like i said before - if it wasn't for this forum i wouldn't have even thought about it!

im with you jas would not have
thought about it only for the forum

megatexture
27th November 2012, 09:20 PM
Unfortunately we lost the front left before I joined forums ended up over 3k damage

Lonicus
27th November 2012, 09:46 PM
Damn, didn't even know this was an issue.

Off to the garage with a torch.

Sir Roofy
27th November 2012, 09:59 PM
whenever this thread surfaces, i check my nuts. Lol

you guys are making me paranoid - and i've got steelies!!

It should be part of your regular, routine maintenance. Shouldn't it??

yes rossco but when you do your service who thinks of wheel nuts ?

lorrieandjas
28th November 2012, 11:35 AM

Agree Rossco - its part of maintenance - but not every 2000kms surely? Oh well - making sure I have a new 1000km service interval now! :)

DX grunt
28th November 2012, 07:41 PM

I've had a bad experience with loose nuts after a service!! Trust nobody. It's easy enough to get distracted - even the best of them.

threedogs
28th November 2012, 07:46 PM
Very important to check your nuts now, not like the olden days.
but a nut check and tyre pressure check ,every 10-14 days sounds ok.

DX grunt
28th November 2012, 07:55 PM

Sorry Roofy, I misread your post. Haven't got my glasses on. lol.

I know squat about servicing. I pay for everything!!!

mudski
1st December 2012, 04:25 PM
Whenever this thread surfaces, I check my nuts. lol

You guys are making me paranoid ...
Yeah me too. But I usually check mine when I'm in the shower :)