PDA

View Full Version : Tricks for Belt replacement

benno_84
18th November 2010, 11:51 AM
Hi guys,

Just received a belt kit for the GU 4.2 in the mail and was going to replace all my belts this afternoon.

I have done this on other vehicle before and know that sometimes it can be a bit of tricky business. I was wondering if anyone knew any tricks or had some tips regarding this procedure, especially for those of us who are novices.

I also have shopped around for belts and found that the link below is the best value I could find with a belt kit costing $30 and postage $10 anywhere.

http://www.4wdspares.com/product_info.php?cPath=35&products_id=204
Lloyd

YNOT
18th November 2010, 12:39 PM
TD42's are straight forward, no tricks needed. Good old manual adjusters.
One tip, spin the idler pulleys while the belts are off to check the bearings.

Tony

benno_84
19th November 2010, 08:02 PM
Tony just took off the alternato belt and the power steering belt but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to loosen the air conditioning belt. Please explain....it must be simple I know but I just can't seem to get it.

Lloyd

YNOT
19th November 2010, 08:30 PM
Lloyd, I've replied to your PM.
To answer the question above, the A/C belt idler pulley is the adjuster (the alternator and power steer pumps move to adjust belt tension, the A/C compressor is fixed). To adjust the A/C belt tension loosen the bolt/nut in the centre of the idler about one turn. Somewhere on the idler pulley bracket will be a bolt that points to the axle of the idler. Loosening or tightening that bolt will move the idler.

Tony

deano
20th November 2010, 01:22 AM
I generaly find it easiest to put the belts on the largest pully last . hope this helps

benno_84
26th November 2010, 05:06 PM
Hi guys,

Just needing a bit of clarification on the belts. To explain.......I have just replaced all the belts and am now at the point of tensioning them all ready to start the engine and use the truck for the weekend. I have got the air-con belt and the alternator belt nice and tight but the problem i am having is with the power steering belt.

From what I can see the belt is adjusted using a the power steering reservoir as a pivot, the reservoir pivots away from the engine and this tightens the belt, then there is a top bolt which sits in a slide that you tighten up to lock the whole thing in place (very similar to the alternator). Heres the problem, the reservoir is at it maximum pivot (slider bolt at end of slider) and the belt still seems to be a little loose. When I say loose, its not falling of the pulleys but it certainly is looser than the other two belts. I am just a little worried that I have done something wrong.

I was thinking that I may have put the belts on wrong but for the life of me I can't work out any other configuration to what I have. Can someone confirm that the layout below is correct just so I know that isn't the problem. it is for a Nissan GU 1998 TD 4.2.

So working from the engine forwards the belts are as follows:
(1) Back Belt - Air conditioner belt - goes around crank, around air conditioner pulley and then over idle puller which is also a tensioner
(2) Middle Belt - Alternator Belt - Goes around Crank, around fan pulley, and around alternator
(3) Front Belt - Power steering Belt - Goes around Crank, fan puller and power steering pulley.

Thanks, its probably really simple...I might have it right but the fact that the power steering belt has not more adjustment just doesn't seem right and I don't want to start her up and find out the hard way.

Lloyd

YNOT
26th November 2010, 07:16 PM
I would say your new power steer belt is too long-incorrect part. Your routing of the belt is consistent with page 46 of GQ service manual- I have not downloaded GU manual yet. Take the new belt off and put it side by side with the old belt to see how the length compares. Also compre the markings on the belts, if the markings on the old belt are still legible. There will usually be something like "12A650". 12A is the width, 650 the length.

Tony

benno_84
26th November 2010, 08:05 PM
Yeah the new belt is longer (something I need to talk to the supplier about). The new belt measures 1270 where-as the old one is only 1250. But the problem I am having is actually with the old belt! Thats what I just can't figure out! I think it may have just stretched and been at the maximum adjustment when I took it off, but at that point I didn't think to really look. Anyway after having another long look and fiddle I figured that I would just put the old one back on and keep and eye on it. I think I will query the supplier and see if they stock a belt which is 1250 or maybe even 1240 as there is heaps of adjustment on the slider. i took her for a bit of a test run and everything seems fine, no slippage or weird noise. Thanks for the help anyway.

Lloyd