PDA

View Full Version : Radflo shocks - are they worth the money

PattyWgnOwen
26th November 2012, 06:00 PM
I gave a very heavy GU2 wagon with everything and when we go touring it gets heavier again.
On teh advice of a forum member I installed the heaviest 3" springs that dobinson make and a set of rebound shocks from offroad boss - 12 way adjustible.

Shocks are ok - smooth to ride in, but I seem to need them dialed to 11 on teh road to get a reasonable ride, and 12 is not enough for the loaded touring stuff? Probably needs to go to 15 or so??? On teh last trip I smashed the guts out of both rears. One failed immediately, the other a couple of months later - both covered by warranty, but being only a 12 months warranty, is now up.

Have been researching options, and decided that remote canister type will be a good option, but they seeem to be quite expensive.

Radflo have a good rep for race buggies, so I thought they might be good for a super heavy Gu as well? The issue I seem to have is that they are $524 each to buy and they only come with 12 months warranty.

Anybody got any recent feedback fro me on these units?
Are they worth the money?
anyone broken one or needed to claim on warranty?

Amada extremes are less than $300 per corner and EFS extremes (not remote conisters) are only $250 per corner?? the amadas seem to have been improved lately so maybe they are the right choice?

If you have direct genuine experience with the amadas or radflos, please PM a message, otherwise I look forward to hearing your banter?

MudRunnerTD
26th November 2012, 06:22 PM
Hi mate I am just about to fit Amadas to the GQ and I like that they are tunable and rebuildable. If you wreck one you can strip it and rebuild it.

You should seriously be thinking about a shock Tower bolt in brace kit from Superiors too if your running that heavy.

You should note though that nothing is supposed to deal with the amount of weight your suggesting? What do you weigh? Your spring towers will be the next to fail if they have not already.

The Old Man Emu sport shock is a variable shock and I would fit that over the Boss Everyday. Remember the shock is the Dampen the movement through the spring not to support the car.

Why do you think you need to dial them above 12? They will near be Locked off at 12 and struggling to do anything then anyway. Tis why they blew.

Have you got some more details of your car, what it weighs, what kind of weight? Where do you want to take the car? Is it for work or touring?

PattyWgnOwen
26th November 2012, 06:31 PM
thanks mudrunner. it weighs close to 3t dry, so i would think more like 3.5t fully loaded.
the offroad boss shocks are a rebound shock, but still cant cope with the weight in rebound.
dont get me wrong, they are nice to ride on loaded, but im scared they will fail agian in the middle of nowhere?
Owen.

MudRunnerTD
26th November 2012, 06:38 PM
My GQ goes over the bridge at 3ton without too much trouble.

I think Boss are Junk but that's just me! I had them on the GQ and Blew 2.

For touring go the OME mate you will have no regrets. If look at the OME LTR if your cashed up. Absolutely No Hesitation with that load.

PattyWgnOwen
7th August 2013, 09:41 PM
Ended up going 4" EFS extremes