PDA

View Full Version : Sydney Australia Day meetup day trip

rkinsey
26th November 2012, 02:56 PM
OK boys and girls. Here is my suggestion for a day trip out of Sydney. This is one of many possible trips we could have but I wanted to keep it interesting but not too difficult. Not to mention that we dont want to spend hours in the car just getting to the start point. For me from Minchinbury it should take around 1.5 to 2 hours to get to the start.

Basically we have a play around in the Jenolan State Forest and have a look at what we find in there. No need to stick to too much of a dedicated course. I did take the liberty of suggesting a few "Destinations" though.

I would say we meet at around 0800 or 0900 Hrs at the start point and spend an hour meeting everyone so we can put faces to names and then air down and get into it. Have a break at around noon where we find a spot and have an Australia day lunch in the bush. We can then spend a bit more time having a laugh and a yarn.

Maybe kick off our return trip at about 1400 Hrs (ish) and travel a different way out to Little Hartley. (Trip notes below)

What do you think?

Trip in
Jenolan State Forest start -33.7132,150.048826
Little River Road crossing -33.740043,150.075381
Gibralter Rock -33.746788, 150.128236

Aternate trip out

Ganbenang Rd and Coxs River Rd. This route passes by the River near the Six foot track. We might just be able to find ourselves a spot near the river for afternoon tea.....

Start - Intersection of Table Rock Fire Rd and Mini Mini Forest Road

1. Head north-east on Table Rock Fire Rd towards Prices Fire Rd - 1.8 km
2. Take the 1st right on to Prices Fire Rd - 3.3 km
3. Continue onto Table Rock Fire Rd - 5.6 km
4. Turn left onto Marsden Rd - 3.7 km
Total sector distance - 14.4 km – about 35 mins

Marsden Rd
5. Head north-west on Marsden Rd towards Marsden Swamp Rd - 2.3 km
6. Continue onto Ganbenang Rd - 4.4 km
Total sector distance - 6.8 km – about 13 mins

Ganbenang Rd

7. Head east on Ganbenang Rd towards Lowther Siding Rd - 3.7 km
8. Continue onto Coxs River Rd - 9.4 km
Total sector distance - 13.1 km – about 15 mins

Total trip distance 34.2Km

Destination Intersection of Coxs River Rd and Great Western Highway at Little Hartley

Possibly finish the day at the Mt Victoria pub for a debriefing...?

NissanGQ4.2
26th November 2012, 04:22 PM
Did I read pub.........

I'm lost already.......

Will check with the Boss but don't think we have anything planned for Australia Day, so at this stage count me in Rob :)

And on the way back home you could stop @ my joint and build my en-suite while I hand u beers :)

Love it when a plan comes together :):):)

rkinsey
27th November 2012, 01:24 AM
Mate I am there. That's two.

This is a family day trip and everyone is invited to come along, have a bit of fun. For those of us that have teenage kids on there Ls or Ps they can get a little driving in as well. Nothing too hard but a good chance to have a look at some different country.

Now to plan an Easter get together up at Barrington Tops.....

Todd, I will post up some pics of the kitchen now that it is done. (in a different thread of course)

Steve4wdin
28th November 2012, 02:51 PM
I think at this stage I will be a contender for a day out. The pub part got me as well Todd

kevin07
29th November 2012, 10:54 AM
steve if im back from south oz im going

rochjas
5th December 2012, 04:27 PM
sounds interesting... Count me in at this stage....

Waza
5th December 2012, 04:54 PM
I was out there a few weeks ago & the tracks are good so have fun.

NissanGQ4.2
5th December 2012, 05:00 PM
I was out there a few weeks ago & the tracks are good so have fun.

So you in as well Waza?

BrendanB
2nd January 2013, 05:36 PM
I might be able to talk the boss in to this one. Unless we get really organised before then, it would be a first proper 4wd trip. Not even sure if our Patrol is up to a proper trip yet...

Is there a list somewhere of the basics we should have? We'll be booking in for a course soon, so I guess we will learn the basics then...

Morton
3rd January 2013, 12:12 AM
I am interested as well but an offer to Kandos is already on the table, having said that, if there are any local trips on I would be well interested anytime

rkinsey
3rd January 2013, 03:44 AM
I must apologise everyone. I have to bow out of this trip, for now. My patrol has blocked radiator core which will need replacing as well as the turbo has packed it in and is not boosting. (Had to cancel my Stockton beach trip with the kids two days before we left...)

I wont have the patrol back on the road before Australia Day as I will be in London for two weeks and I leave this Saturday.

If someone else wants to become the trip leader, please go and have some fun. Don't let me stop a get together.

BrendanB: If you go on a trip with a group of people, chances are they will have everything that the group needs in the way of recovery gear and you will learn a heap just by talking to everyone.

As for the basics, that depends a lot on the 4WD you have and the type of 4Wding you want to do. I started with a winch (already on the Patrol when I bought it) a simple recovery kit (Snatch strap, D Shackles, winch extension, tree trunk protector. I have been adding to my kit ever since. Such as a UHF radio, Decent spotties, Snatch Block, Winch cable dampener, long handled shovel.

The list is almost endless.

Definitely carry a first aid kit, extra water, extra fuel and some basic spares like hoses and clamps.

Just keep adding to your collection of gear and soon you to will have a shed full of stuff like some of the boys on here..... LOL!!

Cheers,

Rob

Morton
4th January 2013, 11:54 AM
I am interested if another day trip gets organised for the Blue Mountains if this one falls through altogether, I know 1 or 2 members on here that maybe interested, I am Blacktown based so the Mountains suit me great