PDA

View Full Version : Help!.... my rear door won't open!

DSzuke
25th November 2012, 02:26 PM
Hi all,

I've got a minor problem with my 2007 GU. I'm hoping someone can help me.

My rear passenger side barn door won't open.

I can hear the central locking mechanism open but the latch feels like it is not engaging.

It won't open from the inside either.

The other side with the (standard) spare wheel on it has had no problems with bending yet.

Im hoping this has been a common problem in the past and someone has a trick to get it open.

Any ideas?

Diesel-Mate
25th November 2012, 02:41 PM
Sounds like the locking rod may have come loose inside, you will have to remove the interior pannel to gain access to it and to see if there is anything else wrong.

Yendor
25th November 2012, 02:45 PM
Try putting some pressure on the door (both pushing and pulling) and operate the remote at the same time.

DSzuke
25th November 2012, 02:46 PM
Thanks Diesel-mate...

I suspected something like that might be the problem. I'll have to see if I can get the cargo barrier out from the back to get in there!

DSzuke
25th November 2012, 02:47 PM
Yendor. I'll give that a go.

happygu
25th November 2012, 04:41 PM
The only time I have ever had problems with the Rear Door locks is when you have something hard up against the rear door, which won't allow the 'unlock' lever to unlock.

If this is the case, try to pull the items away from the rear door.
In your case with the cargo barrier in place, it might be as simple as going for a small drive, and hit the brakes hard to move the load forward, or loosening off the mounts for the cargo barrier to let it move forward slightly to relieve any pressure against the doors.

Mic

DSzuke
25th November 2012, 05:18 PM
Thanks Mic.

Well I managed to get the barrier out from the wrong side (that wasn't easy I tell you!) and have had a look in the panel.

All the leavers and rods and stuff seem to be in place. The central locking seems to be working but I cant for the life of me get the door to release.

DSzuke
26th November 2012, 12:09 PM
I'm still battling with the door.

I've tried WD40 in every access point I can see. It wasn't that dusty in there anyway do I don't expect that is the problem.

I've taken the spare off the other side wondering if that is causing pressure on the release.

I've shaked banged and cursed all with no luck.

I can't seem to get any tool in to help the latch lift and am thinking that the mechanism in there might be the problem.

Any more ideas??

happygu
27th November 2012, 06:43 PM
Try and pull the lever to the lock itself from the door handle, as this should unlatch the catch....

threedogs
27th November 2012, 06:54 PM
Hasn't got a child lock on the door its self has it??

Jodaniels
3rd December 2012, 07:47 PM
I have this problem with my 2007 patrol aswell, i have adjusted the door handle mechanism but the problem came back so i think it is the locking mechanism that is causing it because once its open i can open and shut it all day but if u lock and try unlock that is when you get the problem. the way i get around it involves 2 people, one at the door pushes on it and holds the door in and get someone to lock then unlock the car and then you should be able to open it, it may take a couple of goes but once you get the hang of it you will be getting it in one shot. although this is not a fix it will get the door open if it has the same issue as mine. ive just been too busy to look at the locking mechanism plus i dont open the door much and always forget there is a problem until i need it... hope this helps

DSzuke
3rd December 2012, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the reply Jodaniels.

I have progressed with this however it is a bit of a long story.

I ended up at the dealer and they told me I needed a $520 replacement mechanism. I wasn't too keen on waiting the three weeks they said it would take to get here so I got a second hand one and installed that only to find it didn't fix the problem.

Turns out after more fiddling and and committee of mates and beers at the weekend campsite that it wasn't the $500 dollar mechanism but the outer handle had jammed halfway. This gave the feeling that it was moving enough but it was in fact not letting the locking mechanism release.

I was not impressed at all with the dealer service centre and let them know today that they were way off the mark with their poor diagnosis (I shouldn't be surprised I suppose).

In the end I have a spare mechanism that I cleaned and lubricated.

I was going to eBay it but if you need one you would be welcome to grab it first. I have the receipt and would not be interested in making an money on it.

PM me if you'd like any details on it.

Thanks again for the replies and ideas. It is great to see people helping Nissan newbies like me and is really appreciated.

happygu
3rd December 2012, 08:46 PM
Good work...

Lonicus
4th December 2012, 06:00 AM
Nothing a few mates and a few beers can't sort out. Good to see it's fixed.

grubkenbel
14th December 2012, 04:43 PM
Hi all,

I've got a minor problem with my 2007 GU. I'm hoping someone can help me.

My rear passenger side barn door won't open.

I can hear the central locking mechanism open but the latch feels like it is not engaging.

It won't open from the inside either.

The other side with the (standard) spare wheel on it has had no problems with bending yet.

Im hoping this has been a common problem in the past and someone has a trick to get it open.

Any ideas?

Funny mine has been doing the same thing for 2 days now