PDA

View Full Version : panhard bar bushes...

tappethead
18th November 2010, 07:21 AM
hi team,
just reading thru some of the other theards and came up with idea of replacing the front panhard bushes.
reason being was because we are getting a steering wheel wobble at approx 100kph it was due for a set of tires which i thought was the cause of the problem
so on with a set of four tires wheel balance and an alignment off down the road and it still wobbled at the same speed ggrrrrr...
reading thru some of the threads and everything seemed to point to panhard bushes...
my question to the masses is this ,the new panhard bushes kit consists of two bushes one which fits in the small end of the bar and a second bush that dosent even come close as the bush that comes from the other end of the bar is a knuckle ball joint type of bush.
can this be replaced with a solid type of bush like the small end (if i can find one)
or do i have to replace with the same type of joint as the old one is well worn and comes apart.
truck is a 2001 gu2 wagon...
any thoughts people???

YNOT
18th November 2010, 08:04 AM
You need to get the correct ball joint type bush. The bush kit you have been sold is for GQ or series 1 GU only. The bush you need is available from Nissan (PM Nizzbits on here) or from places like superior engineering. They are more expensive than the old type small bush, but they are a better type of bush.

Tony

tappethead
18th November 2010, 01:40 PM
cool thanks again tony...

Mrowka
19th November 2010, 12:01 AM
Also, ever always only use genuine Nissan bushes, not Ebay-brand or whatever. Nissan bushes are expensive (Ok, their prices can be described as "financial sodomy,") but at least you will not pay twice.

tappethead
29th November 2010, 11:22 AM
hi again guys and gals
the story so far...so we had a wobble thru the steering wheel and have since changed : 4 brand new tires with wheel alignment and balance(due for replacing),front panhard rod bushes,checked and tighten front wheel bearings as there was play on both sides which made the biggest improvement but still the wobbles returned...
i have since spoken to the local garage and he told me this ...
in the top of the knuckle joint are some shims his advice to me was to remove a shim from both sides there for increasing the pre load? he also said this is a common/known problem to the nissan patrols. could someone tell me is this true or a quick/cheap fix solution as wouldn't this alter steering/suspension geometry beyond factory specs?
(now my head starts to wobble in confusion lol)

YNOT
29th November 2010, 08:01 PM
There are hundreds of things that can cause Patrol front end wobbles.
I have heard of removing king pin shims to increase pre load on the bearings, for some it works, others it does not. But for the sake of removing both front wheels, removing 4 bolts (each side), popping out one bearing from each side and reassembling it minus one shim (each side) it has to be worth a try. It will not affect steering geometry in any way, and is easily reversible. I say try it.

Tony

Bigrig
29th November 2010, 08:05 PM
There are hundreds of things that can cause Patrol front end wobbles.
I have heard of removing king pin shims to increase pre load on the bearings, for some it works, others it does not. But for the sake of removing both front wheels, removing 4 bolts (each side), popping out one bearing from each side and reassembling it minus one shim (each side) it has to be worth a try. It will not affect steering geometry in any way, and is easily reversible. I say try it.

Tony

Tony - you'd know far better than me mate so please decipher my burble if it makes sense to you - I heard something about the front end wobble being possibly associated with the tailshaft being out of balance in some instances of lifts and/or engine/gearbox modifications and/or replacements? Heard of anything like this?? Could be all BS of course, and can't for the life of me remember where I heard/read about it, but that was the basic gist of it ... have I helped? Or hindered?? lol

tappethead
30th November 2010, 03:32 PM
ok cool thanks tony ill give it crack when i get a bit of spare time... and just for the record our troll has not been lifted and is running standard running gear/drive train (hmmm maybe thats the problem lmao)

litrecar7
1st December 2010, 07:07 PM
i am having the exact same problem with my 05 patro;, replaced steering damper, front shocks and panhard bar bushes.
had wheel alignment and balance and wheel bearings asdjusted but still there is a wobble