PDA

View Full Version : Oil Catch Can

ThePig
22nd June 2010, 09:36 PM
Hi guys, would it be worth making an oil catch can for my rig? A mate of mine has it on his 2.8td and said I should do a bit of research about it, not really sure what he meant by that.

Has anyone done it here?

AB
22nd June 2010, 09:56 PM
The Nissan Patrol Reference Document kindly given to us from Aksniss has a full write up about it.

We took that section out and you can download it here. it has pictures, detailed info, the works!

Timbo
22nd June 2010, 10:03 PM
lol awesome, home made catch can. I enjoyed reading that.

Pootrazza
4th September 2010, 03:24 AM
you could spend $68 on a home made catch can, spend a whole lot of time mucking around putting it together and running around to different shops, or you could spend $69 and buy a premade one from supercheap auto, go to ENZED and upgrade the hose and hose fittings and then you'll be laughing.

YNOT
4th September 2010, 08:30 AM
From the reports I've seen from people who have tried them, the Supercheap catch cans are a waste of money, they don't catch enough of the oil.

Tony

Maxhead
4th September 2010, 10:40 AM
If you want a decent product then go something like the Provent 200. Lot more $$$ at around $200 but well worth it in my opinion.
You will be surprised at what it catches.

harls
5th September 2010, 08:48 AM
The Nissan Patrol Reference Document kindly given to us from Aksniss has a full write up about it.

We took that section out and you can download it here. it has pictures, detailed info, the works!

Hey thepig,
I built one of these catch cans that ab supplied the link for, made a few minor adjustments to it and it seems to work perfectly. I purchased the filter foam from a local foam supplier was $16 for a 300mm x300mm x 1 inch sheet. One thing i would say is that when you remove the restrictor from the hose, rather than cut the hose i pushed it out with a screw driver and salvaged the hose. that way, if you ever need a spare you have on available. If you want any more pics or measurements let me know and i can forward some onto you.

Cheers

Harls

robbo0001
22nd November 2011, 08:39 PM
Gday guys,
digging up and old thread but its best looking result after doing a search.
We picked up our new (old) TD2.8 last week, and I finally got the time today to install a catch can. The previous owner had already done the EGR as I found out, so pretty happy with that.
I cleaned the intercooler and associated pipes (didnt remove butterfly, still doing research on that) and havent done a boost/pyro combination yet.
I went with a Supercrap catch can, which come hollow, and am trying a cartridge oil filter element as attached. I have used steel wool in previous vehicles with "ok" results...so figured I would try this. Filter is a nice snug fit, and I will be interested to check the results in a few weeks.
I have plumbed the new pipework directly of the block, through the catch can and returning via the PCV.
I have to shorten the sight tube as pictured, just ran outta time.

Anyone see any possible issues with this set up?

Edit I have secured the pipework away from the aircon pipes with some zippies, tidied it up a bit since the photos

Skull
23rd November 2011, 01:26 AM
Was told by Ray of "Ray Hall Turbocharging" that most of these items are a waste of time becuase they are too restrictive of the gas's passing through which leads to high crank case pressures and turbo seals leaking. I still run one on my truck which I built myself out of SS pipe and Steel wool. Works a treat, I have no issues with my turbo as the fittings and pipes used are big enough not to create any restriction. Did retain the original "restrictor" though. Do not vent to atmosphere either. It is illegal but mainly because the intake runner is under vacum which helps to scavenge/ draw the gas from the crank case. By the way mine gets super hot so I would not recomend making one out of PVC pipe. Obviously works but seem scetchy to me.

robbo0001
23rd November 2011, 07:29 AM
To be honest, I can't see how a large diametre tube (catch can) can be more restrictive than the orginal rubber hose/pcv/ rubber hose combo.

I was always lled to believe ir was the actuall expansion of the PCV air, in the catch can, that allowed the oil mist to coallesce on the filter element, and then drain to the bottom of the can. The air continues at the same pressure towards the air intake pipework, hopefully minus some oil.

Big "YES" on the heat build up, dedfinately easier to empty these things when the vehicle has cooled down

Skull
23rd November 2011, 06:01 PM
The thing that makes the difference is the length of the tube ( now over double depending on mount) and the size of the fittings used. The material inside (if there is any, none in cheap ones) can make an impact too but minimal. I trust Ray hall. Been in the game longer than I have been alive.

patrol2.8
24th November 2011, 11:34 AM
Ive built mine from aksniss instuctions out of pvc and fitted to my 2.8 patrol havnt had any issues with heat only differnce in mine is i used a stainless steel scourer as the filter seems to be catching oil ok

Bucky
24th November 2011, 12:01 PM
i built mine out of a fuel water seperator that i had sitting around. modified a few of the holes and put fine steel wool on the upper section (where the rocker cover pipe goes to) and it works a treat. inlet tract is clean as a whistle.

patrol2.8
24th November 2011, 03:29 PM
Bucky the scourer is that a stainless one or the ordinary steelo type ive heard the ordinary ones tend to break down and fine fibres the get sucked through

robbo0001
25th November 2011, 12:16 AM
Deinately run a stainless " pot scourer" not a "steel wool pad"... steel wool can break down and spit little bits of corrosive, abbrasive sh+t via the PCV line. Bad juju.
I ran inline air/water seperator (air line fitting) on a petrol engine on our last car , it wasn't big enough to catch all the oil. (ie I got sick of emptying it every two weeks...to small for my application) larger ones may be ok.

NZDaz
25th November 2011, 10:12 AM
I just modified a cheap repco empty can type catch can with a few SS scourer pads and a bit of internal tubing so the gasses have to actually pass through the SS scourer. I was a bit worried about air flow restrictions so just gave it a blow in the inlet and there was very little resistance. Might be a bit more using a filter element though.

GRA.GU
26th November 2011, 10:08 AM
Mmmm. Must admit to some misgivings about even cleaned stainless pads. We go to great expense to make sure everything in the lubrication chain is scrupulously particle free. Oil manufacturers long ago stopped selling oil at service stations in open bottles to prevent dust and other contamination. I feel sure that the SS pad manufacturers would give very low priority to clinging particles or to the possibility of ends of strands breaking off. How sure can we be that the mist that later enters the engine will not become contaminated, even if the SS is washed thoroughly?
I wasn't sure of that answer and so, given the expense of engine damage, opted for the Provent. I look at the extra cost as insurance.

Sir Roofy
26th November 2011, 10:29 AM
mmmm. Must admit to some misgivings about even cleaned stainless pads. We go to great expense to make sure everything in the lubrication chain is scrupulously particle free. Oil manufacturers long ago stopped selling oil at service stations in open bottles to prevent dust and other contamination. I feel sure that the ss pad manufacturers would give very low priority to clinging particles or to the possibility of ends of strands breaking off. How sure can we be that the mist that later enters the engine will not become contaminated, even if the ss is washed thoroughly?
I wasn't sure of that answer and so, given the expense of engine damage, opted for the provent. I look at the extra cost as insurance.

have to agree with that its great to see these young,ns being inventive and trying new things
but the cost of repairs for your motor out ways $200 for a provent

Killametre
27th November 2011, 11:28 PM
If you can deal with peelin out the dough a pro vent is the way to go I have run one on my new canter truck for 70 000k and it works a treat

Robo
28th January 2012, 12:42 AM
Mate this is a subject that properly only a maths profesor can explain why.
but in the end a bad catch can, can and does restrict flow.
think its not just size that matters but swirl affect inside catch can, these are a tricky things to master.

Robo
28th January 2012, 09:11 PM
Was on respected JDM site today and some $250+ alloy catch cans they have for sale 2,& 3 ltrs ones are recommended for same capacity 2 and 3 ltr engines.
Also they spec suitable for diesel engines , thought worth mentioning as capacity it seems may matter somehow. food for thought.

megatexture
16th March 2012, 01:08 AM
possibly the longer the oil vapours spend in the catch can the more it can filter it out , 2-3 ltr can would be a pain to fit under the hood if possible id have to shuffle alot to get it in

Ben81C
20th March 2012, 10:07 PM
I am mechanically non gifted to say the least, i bought mine went to enzed got upgraded hoses, drilled one hole in the top of a plate used to hold my duel battery system (didn't Evan break it) one bolt and a bracket made of left over steel from the floor of my mates workshop with 2, 90 degree bends in it and presto. One very nicely fitted and quite pro looking catch can. I am chuffed actually my first home mod. (i did get a little help as i borrowed tools and we all know what us blokes are like once a project of any magnitude starts.)

aesantosj_rd28
27th April 2012, 11:49 AM
hi there,
I own a Patrol 2000 Y61 with a RD28 eti engine and I´m into putting a Cath Can into it because I have some oil coing through IC pipes,, need help on installing it. Detailed instruction if possible.thanks

Lewy
27th April 2012, 01:47 PM
Gday guys,
digging up and old thread but its best looking result after doing a search.
We picked up our new (old) TD2.8 last week, and I finally got the time today to install a catch can. The previous owner had already done the EGR as I found out, so pretty happy with that.
I cleaned the intercooler and associated pipes (didnt remove butterfly, still doing research on that) and havent done a boost/pyro combination yet.
I went with a Supercrap catch can, which come hollow, and am trying a cartridge oil filter element as attached. I have used steel wool in previous vehicles with "ok" results...so figured I would try this. Filter is a nice snug fit, and I will be interested to check the results in a few weeks.
I have plumbed the new pipework directly of the block, through the catch can and returning via the PCV.
I have to shorten the sight tube as pictured, just ran outta time.

Anyone see any possible issues with this set up?

Edit I have secured the pipework away from the aircon pipes with some zippies, tidied it up a bit since the photos

Gday Rob,

Hey I have the same supercrap catch can and was wondering how you are finding the filter you have popped in it? Dose it do the job well of catching the oil?

Cheers Lewy

robbo0001
27th April 2012, 11:10 PM
G'day Lewy....
I will pull the top off the can tomorrow, and take some pics of the filter.
Checked it 2 weeks ago and its definately sucking up the oil vapours..seriously considering a Provent install, before I chip it, though.
Trying toprevent any "self-induced" errors in the engine...I know the can and filter are working, just don't know how well.

Lewy
28th April 2012, 07:44 AM
G'day Lewy....
I will pull the top off the can tomorrow, and take some pics of the filter.
Checked it 2 weeks ago and its definately sucking up the oil vapours..seriously considering a Provent install, before I chip it, though.
Trying toprevent any "self-induced" errors in the engine...I know the can and filter are working, just don't know how well.

OK Great thanks

Lewy

mudski
28th April 2012, 09:25 AM
I just bought a GUII last week. I am keen to get this mod done too and I spotted this kit which also has the EGR blanking plate and some boost control kit.
any reason NOT to go for this kit?
http://www.crosscountry4x4.com.au/products.php?productid=274

Thanks.

robbo0001
30th April 2012, 06:03 AM
Lewy, sorry for the delay.The filter is defintely catching oil, but not 100 percent.

1 pic of the base of the catch can with bugger all oil pooled,
http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo244/blueydog/th_Photo0562.jpg (http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo244/blueydog/Photo0562.jpg)

2 of the filter itself, and one of the catch-can "head" with the plastic bundy-tube I used to get air-flow directed at the base of the can.

http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo244/blueydog/th_Photo0561.jpg (http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo244/blueydog/Photo0561.jpg) http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo244/blueydog/th_Photo0560.jpg (http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo244/blueydog/Photo0560.jpg) http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo244/blueydog/th_Photo0563.jpg (http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo244/blueydog/Photo0563.jpg)

Oil filter is lightly permeated with oil, will continue to use this one for a while yet.
Return line from can to vehicle air manifold had a (very) light film of oil....a bit of oil vapour is getting through. The filter is defintely catching oil, but not 100 percent.

Lewy
30th April 2012, 06:30 PM
Cheers for that mate looks like Ill go get my self a filter :-))

tony78
1st May 2012, 07:41 PM
that home made catch can looks the go but looks like a lot of mucking around.think i would just rather us the provent

robbo0001
4th May 2012, 06:19 AM
In relation to the Provent, specifically the internal filter.....

How often are the guys running the Provent changing the filter?
Some people do it EVERY service at 5000, some let it go til 20 thou kms, however at approx $80 dollars for a filter, its a considerable cost towards a service.

Example only.....http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ProVent-200-Replacement-Element-/250827530560?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a667c6140

There are methods of absorbing the oil out of the filter and re-using, but even this doesn't mean the same filter can be used forever.

Anyone have any advice?

A regularly changed (apologies...current price is approx 28 dollars) filter looks good, at the moment.

cambo
4th May 2012, 08:36 PM
I thought the provent was good for a lot longer than 5000k , somewhere more like 50000k.

robbo0001
5th May 2012, 12:13 AM
50,000km....or ten years of average driving?
How can that be possible?....it's a filter, and a non re-useable/ washable one, as well.

paulvdw
5th May 2012, 08:08 AM
Guys / Guru's

Please can you explain the reason for the catch can and what it does?
Benefits.

Cheers
Paul

97_gq_lwb
5th May 2012, 09:22 AM
Catch can catches oil forced out the breather.
And stops it entering your inlet and being burn't by the engine.
This is usually caused by compression leaking past the rings wich causes higher crank case pressure and often a lot worse with high boost turbo's.
But as these engines get a bit older and worn it happens.

mudski
7th May 2012, 03:26 PM
I just got my Provent 200 the other day. I need some clarification on plumbing it up. I see the hose from the top of the engine and I see where it goes. On the Provent it has an IN and OUT port and also a third oil return port. I'm know the Provent fits in between the said hose on the engine ( to the IN and OUT ports) but where is the oil return on my donk? ZD30... Stuffed if I can find it.

Thanks.

waz65
7th May 2012, 04:33 PM
Mate , all I did with my Provent was put a tap on the return hose the extend the hose into the wheel arch and then empty it into a oil container every so often , i'll get a pic if needed

mudski
7th May 2012, 05:48 PM
Cheers mate. No pic needed. I'll have to crawl under tonight and see if theres a place for the return to go. I'd rather plumb it back into the sump if possible. Now I just gotta find a good spot to mount it. I reckon I'll have to make an extra bracket and mount it near the seond battery somewhere.

boots
7th May 2012, 10:03 PM
You got ABS on yours mudski ? dual batts and ABS , not a hell of a lot of room round there . but it is dooable .

mudski
7th May 2012, 11:19 PM
Dual batts but no ABS.

White Elephant
8th June 2012, 06:10 PM
Thought I'd throw in my 2 cents guys. Found these guys on the web, they are in South Oz, they have a bit of a selection of catch cans, not ridiculously expensive either if you don't want to make your own.

http://www.dtsturbo.com.au/3350_dash_46/Catch-Can-Small-Plastic/pd.php

Fred Schenck
18th June 2012, 09:30 PM
I installed a Tiapan catch can, yet to see what happens

dsmith
31st July 2012, 10:34 PM
What about running the hose say down the back of the block into the chassis rail and making sure there is a good one way valve near the tappet cover so it doesn't suck a gut full of water if you stall it in a river or something? Yes it's technically illegal, but my road reg dirt bike is like that from the factory and it's been through many times deeper water/mud than I would ever take my patrol... It will also rust proof the left hand chassis rail too!

megatexture
1st August 2012, 12:19 AM
robbo0001 id watch that level indicator hose on that catch can, a mate had on his car and it went cloudy hard and then cracked don’t think he had it on long either but it might have been due to the heat under the hood as he uses his car for drifting but all the same just keep an eye on it or pull it off and whack some bolts in place of the fittings it’s not going to fill up between services anyway so an indicator isn’t really necessary

robbo0001
1st August 2012, 06:29 AM
Hey Mega,
sorry mate, I must have posted in another thread.
I uninstalled this about 2 months ago, now have a bolt in the intake pipe to seal it, and have run the PCV line down the wheel well and attached to the chassis rail.
Definately no oil in intercooler from the pcv now.....just have fingers crossed no seals in turbo are leaking, am yet to check the intercooler again.
cheers

beexy
2nd September 2012, 09:43 PM
Hey all. as someone that is not slightly mechanically minded is this a catch can that has been put it. and how would i drain it there dont seem to be any points to do so

http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii635/beexy86/P8050047.jpg

http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii635/beexy86/P8050048.jpg

Robo
18th November 2012, 01:12 AM
50,000km....or ten years of average driving?
How can that be possible?....it's a filter, and a non re-useable/ washable one, as well.

I thought avg K's were 20 000 per yr.
big diff , no offence

Robo
18th November 2012, 01:15 AM
Thought I'd throw in my 2 cents guys. Found these guys on the web, they are in South Oz, they have a bit of a selection of catch cans, not ridiculously expensive either if you don't want to make your own.

http://www.dtsturbo.com.au/3350_dash_46/Catch-Can-Small-Plastic/pd.php

looks like a in line water filter .

Trolling82
5th December 2012, 02:56 AM
I put one of the super cheep auto one in my 3lt but was told to use the green scour pads they don't break down as much as steal wool

eph444
12th December 2012, 04:30 PM
I've read the whole post and am a little confused.....How important are these catch cans? How do you know if your Patrol needs one or not? Or are these a just in case procaution? I have the 1999 GU 2.8TD

Stropp
12th December 2012, 10:52 PM
Mate is probably not as important with yours, BUT it will stop or lower the amount of oil mist going back thru your system and ultimately keep it cleaner also the egt block is a good idea, get one from the ferret.

my third 256
13th December 2012, 04:18 AM
Hey all. as someone that is not slightly mechanically minded is this a catch can that has been put it. and how would i drain it there dont seem to be any points to do so

loosen bracket and then unscrew bottom and clean out you could always put a fitting in the bottom and put a hose on it with a tap to drain

veggiemate
28th January 2014, 05:21 PM
Hi guys. Looking at making my own catch can by following Aksniss instructions.

His catch can seems to be a sealed unit with end caps that are glued at the bottom and siliconed at the top. Given that one can buy a threaded pvc section plus a fitting cap, wouldn't it make sense to use a threaded cap at the top (with an o-ring for sealing) to enable the user to easily gain access for cleaning and experimenting with different filters?

Interested to hear other forum member's experience/advice with such a setup.

Cheers

megatexture
28th January 2014, 06:00 PM
Hey Mega,
sorry mate, I must have posted in another thread.
I uninstalled this about 2 months ago, now have a bolt in the intake pipe to seal it, and have run the PCV line down the wheel well and attached to the chassis rail.
Definately no oil in intercooler from the pcv now.....just have fingers crossed no seals in turbo are leaking, am yet to check the intercooler again.
cheers

I considered doing the same but want to keep it some what legal. Are you still using a catch can and just venting the air?
If not how do you go with dripping oil on your drive way and garage?

megatexture
28th January 2014, 06:02 PM

That's a clean bay !

Wang
29th January 2014, 08:04 AM
F39895
Fitted mine on the weekend too.