PDA

View Full Version : Mk cooling problem

Ferret
24th November 2012, 04:16 PM
Hi every one my nissan mk patrol diesel non turbo keeps overheating not major but enough to worry about wilst on long trips so I had radiator reconditioned . Checked thermostat that's fine hoses all done belts and all. was leaking in the cabin but I bypassed heater into motor... Even when it wasn't leaking it was still over heating nd I got some pressure on the hoses like rock hard I don't no what the go is and my clutch fan is working .... Do you reckon I should run a highflow thermostat will this work I have no idea really I'm out off options thanks boys

threedogs
24th November 2012, 04:38 PM
In the meantime you could pull the guts out of an old thermostat to restrict flow a bit .
Depends when over heats, don't need a fan at hwy speeds so might have to work backwards,
could have an air lock as well. ???

Ferret
24th November 2012, 05:06 PM
Yeh tell me about it lol what you mean by air lock ?

threedogs
24th November 2012, 05:25 PM
Air gets trapped in system, causes all types of shite, cavitation etc Park on a steep hill nose up.
cut the base off a coke bottle invert into radiator, while idling top with water squeeze some hoses, gets all air bubbles out of system.
on hoses they haven't collapsed. Check water pump for free play. where in Vic are you??
Being an older 4x4 could be a combination of things, so only do one fix at a time.

MQ MAD
24th November 2012, 06:55 PM
In the meantime you could pull the guts out of an old thermostat to restrict flow a bit .
Depends when over heats, don't need a fan at hwy speeds so might have to work backwards,
could have an air lock as well. ???
Id tend to perhaps replace the old thermostat rather than cut the guts out

Get a new thermostat in there, after spending the money getting the rad recoed ,skinmping of a new thermostat isnt a good move
The radiator hoses shouldnt be hard,if they are youll probably hear crackling noise when squeezing,thats all the built up crud comin of
New hoses,new thermostat, check the clutch fan is working, check water pump shouldnt be much more

IF the hoses are old as, and hard as , and you can hear crackling when you squeeze them, its all goin into your new flushed radiator
Also another nono,is removing the lower rad shroud when doin a body lift, ,make something up, flat plate extentions and put it back on
Check your dipstick oil consistency,if its milky or there is water on it, could have done the head,check the radiator water also for discoloration

Ferret
26th November 2012, 11:46 PM
Thanks boys well yeh everything is working so I guess I'll give this thermo a kick what do you reckon about running a high flow thermo reckon that would be better then just your average standard one ?

Finly Owner
2nd December 2012, 12:51 AM
Rod, leave your thermo fan standard, Replace thermostat and radiator cap. Then think about replacing water pump as the fins may have reduced in size due to corrosion, and therefore is moving less volume of water. Are you using coolant (not water)?

Tim

Ferret
11th December 2012, 07:55 PM
yeh mate coolant I'm using sorry for such a late reply