PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed for under-body sealer over spray on duco?

PMC
23rd November 2012, 09:24 AM
G'day folks!

I have had a miss-hap, whilst spraying under-body sealer under the Patrol, i have accidently contaminated my passenger
side front guard with over-spray.

Question: Is there any solvent out there that can remove the over-spray without effecting the factory white duco? Or is it
the case of rubbing the entire guard back and repainting the farker!

Regards,

RLI

threedogs
23rd November 2012, 09:30 AM
3M goo remover or most things in an aerosol can, thinners, metho.

PMC
23rd November 2012, 10:35 AM
3M goo remover or most things in an aerosol can, thinners, metho.

G'day threedogs,

Will this stuff affect my paint work with thinners being in it?

PS, How are you travelling? Are you out of Hospital yet?

Regards,

RLI

Robo
24th November 2012, 09:11 PM
Wash car as usual to remove dirt etc.
this will help prevent scratching.
Wd40/similar on a rag and spot spray.
you should see the tar in under seal product start to run, give a wipe and continue as needed.
Wash car again to remove all traces of Wd, and presto clean again.
This will remove most, if not all traces of rd grime.

Tip, Do Not put thinners near the paint work.
will destroy your paint quicker than you can say boo.

threedogs
24th November 2012, 09:18 PM
3m goo remover is great stuff, just explain at your nearest auto paint store whats happened and they'll have the correct product for you.
yeah out of hospital thanks, just awaiting approval to go back in. Loving this shite as you could imagine, going fishing next weekend so may be my last trip for a while. so I better catch something worth bragging about. lol

Rustyboner81
24th November 2012, 11:35 PM
Good on ya 3dogs.
If your just wiping thinners will not affect the 2pac paint which is filly cured. How ever if you leave a thinners soaked rag around on the body then yes it will soften, bubble and reuin the paint. I would use prepsol as its a weaker wax and grease remover and is designed for pre-finishing application

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

my third 256
25th November 2012, 07:45 AM
Good on ya 3dogs.
If your just wiping thinners will not affect the 2pac paint which is filly cured. How ever if you leave a thinners soaked rag around on the body then yes it will soften, bubble and reuin the paint. I would use prepsol as its a weaker wax and grease remover and is designed for pre-finishing application

x2 with that

PMC
25th November 2012, 09:24 AM
Wash car as usual to remove dirt etc.
this will help prevent scratching.
Wd40/similar on a rag and spot spray.
you should see the tar in under seal product start to run, give a wipe and continue as needed.
Wash car again to remove all traces of Wd, and presto clean again.
This will remove most, if not all traces of rd grime.

Tip, Do Not put thinners near the paint work.
will destroy your paint quicker than you can say boo.

G'day Robo,

Thanks for the great advice mate!

PMC
25th November 2012, 09:26 AM
3m goo remover is great stuff, just explain at your nearest auto paint store whats happened and they'll have the correct product for you.
yeah out of hospital thanks, just awaiting approval to go back in. Loving this shite as you could imagine, going fishing next weekend so may be my last trip for a while. so I better catch something worth bragging about. lol

G'day threedogs,

Once again, thanks mate for your help!

What fish are you chasing?

Regards,

RLI

PMC
25th November 2012, 09:27 AM
Good on ya 3dogs.

G'day Rustybooner81,

Thanks for the advice mate!

Regards,

RLI

Robo
25th November 2012, 09:54 AM
Just remembered.
A mate at work did the WD40 trick to only 1 door on his dunnydoor about a year + ago.
Its the only panel on the car that isn't fading.
even after a yr +, and he did as above washing etc.
I asked him about the panel thinking it had been resprayed and he told me, wd 40 to remove tar spots.
Its a trick guys that work on tar spray equipment use.
Also the smooth paste lanolin hand cleaner, olive oil also works.
But slow compared to stronger things, thinners etc.
I think the typical holden chalky paint absorbed the oils and its protecting the paint somehow, or he simply polished this pannel only, I'll ask him for more info.
cheers

PMC
25th November 2012, 01:21 PM
Just remembered.
A mate at work did the WD40 trick to only 1 door on his dunnydoor about a year + ago.
Its the only panel on the car that isn't fading.
even after a yr +, and he did as above washing etc.
I asked him about the panel thinking it had been resprayed and he told me, wd 40 to remove tar spots.
Its a trick guys that work on tar spray equipment use.
Also the smooth paste lanolin hand cleaner, olive oil also works.
But slow compared to stronger things, thinners etc.
I think the typical holden chalky paint absorbed the oils and its protecting the paint somehow, or he simply polished this pannel only, I'll ask him for more info.
cheers

G'day Robo,

Sprayed WD40 on it last nigh, left it overnight. It has removed 85%. I will give it another coat!

PS, thanks folks for all your advice! I certainly learned a lesson from this stupid episode!
Regards,

RLI

04OFF
25th November 2012, 10:55 PM
Plain old petrol will take underbody sealer off and wont harm your paint, done it heaps of times, sometimes easier than masking (lol)

PMC
26th November 2012, 10:02 AM
Plain old petrol will take underbody sealer off and wont harm your paint, done it heaps of times, sometimes easier than masking (lol)

G'day 04OFF,

Thanks for your advice mate!

Regards,

RLI

Robo
28th November 2012, 01:58 AM
Yep all he did was WD40 the door skin to clean tar off and a yr+ later still looked like new paint work compared to rest of car.

dads tractor
29th November 2012, 12:30 AM
Havent tried wd40 but any tar based product is usually removed by appying johnson bady oil and wait till it softens and wipe off. Spaypave used it on trucks and operators for years. (excellant for glass)

Robo
29th November 2012, 01:47 AM
Yeah baby oil also works, have some in work truck for that very reason.
have also used olive oil around my eyes to remove emulsion "tar type product".
give you a facial at same time lol.

PMC
30th November 2012, 10:42 PM
G'day lads,

Thanks for all of your advice!

I have removed all the over-spray with WD40 and petrol.

PS, Once again thanks to all of your suggestions!

Regards,

RLI