PDA

View Full Version : Patrol surging

dumpy
20th November 2012, 07:09 PM
I have a 2010 crd patrol with 43000klm on the clock. Just recently when i accelerate the patrol surges slightly and the tacho jumps around a bit. No warning lights are coming on and everything else seems fine. Does anyone have any ideas as to whats going on. Need some advice.

threedogs
20th November 2012, 07:18 PM
Check your boost , fit EGT and boost gauge then you know whats going on, clean the MAF sensor as well, check all hoses to see if tight

Lieney
20th November 2012, 07:22 PM
Is there any smoke??
x2 with threedogs comment. Give MAF a clean. Check boost and inlet hoses.
Check sensors
Replace the fuel filter unless you are 100% certain it is good.

Maxhead
20th November 2012, 07:22 PM
I have a 2010 crd patrol with 43000klm on the clock. Just recently when i accelerate the patrol surges slightly and the tacho jumps around a bit. No warning lights are coming on and everything else seems fine. Does anyone have any ideas as to whats going on. Need some advice.

Throttle Position Sensor???? give it a good spray with some contact cleaner.
by how much does the tacho jump around??

theres another post on this issue here: http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?8431-2008-CRD-Surging

dumpy
20th November 2012, 08:13 PM
Thanks guys i suspected it may be a few of those things mentioned, will give it a good once over on the weekend and see what happens, thanks again

grimace
25th November 2012, 12:28 PM
g'day dumpy, i have had the same problem for a while now been eveywhere done everything (fuel and air filters, cleaned MAF, fitted egt and boost gauges.) no one can tell me what is going on! had a steinbauer fitted and thought that was the problem even had them replace the wiring harness to the unit. the only thing i did not do is the throttle position sensor, where is it ? can i clean it with MAF cleaner?? anyone let me know please!!!

scotty83
25th November 2012, 12:29 PM
Manual or Auto? Sounds like what mine was doing when I realise the clutch was going... Mine was worse in 2nd, 3rd & 4th when under load. When cruising in 5th it was fine.

grimace
25th November 2012, 09:10 PM
g'day scotty, mines a manual and had the clutch replaced with a excedy safari clutch about 20k ago also mine seems to surge at low revs trying to hold a steady speed and under acceleration until it sort of (levels out) not sure how to actually explain what it does but it is worse when the steinbauer is plugged in which isn't often. can someone give me information on where the throttle position sensor is?

jimi_h80
26th November 2012, 08:01 AM
grimace
my 08 wagon was doing the same, would drive ok if i put the boot into it, but sitting around 2000 revs in 2nd, 3rd it would surge (traffic driving). also really nasty in low 4. tried all the cheap things, disconnect battery for 24 hrs, clean maf, change air and fuel filters. ended up pulling out TPS and cleaned it with maf spray ended up making it worse and threw some fault codes (low voltage on TPS). replaced TPS and all good now, very pricey but $610 from nissan. the sensor is in the accelerator peddle (fly by wire) have to replace the whole peddle assembly, 3 nuts and a cable connection clip. disconnect battery, replace TPS, connect battery an hour later. not sure if this was the right thing to do but it worked.

dumpy
29th November 2012, 02:40 PM
yeah the problem was the throttle sensor, nissan replaced it, its still under warrenty so was happy for them to do it. no problems after it had been replaced

dexy2008
29th November 2012, 08:59 PM
my 2008 crd 5 speed has been doing the same thing took it back to nissan and they cleaned maf, checked egr valve, checked or reset the tps settings and checked drive shaft etc, it fixed the issue for a few days and no is doing it again, i told them i feel it all in the throttle or accelerator and how much to replace the TPS, they said they'd do the EGR valve ($700) and the MAF $1500 beofe they replaced the TPS, it shows no fault and did not play up on road test but is definately there and psssing me off

Drew
30th November 2012, 08:52 AM
my 2008 crd 5 speed has been doing the same thing took it back to nissan and they cleaned maf, checked egr valve, checked or reset the tps settings and checked drive shaft etc, it fixed the issue for a few days and no is doing it again, i told them i feel it all in the throttle or accelerator and how much to replace the TPS, they said they'd do the EGR valve ($700) and the MAF $1500 beofe they replaced the TPS, it shows no fault and did not play up on road test but is definately there and psssing me off

Hopefully you don't have to fork out a couple of grand before they listen to you.

$1500 for a maf sensor ? Wow I'd like their margins

grimace
1st December 2012, 01:07 PM
;)check on the forum man, i am pretty sure some of the boys have replaced their MAFs for under $300. don't let nissan do what you can probably do yourself and for a hell of a lot cheaper, there is information covering every part of these trucks on the forum and usually someone has already had the same problem before you did. most jobs can be done very easily yourself and you get to spend the coin on more mods and we all know you can't have enough mods.....