PDA

View Full Version : Storage Drawers Question?

matty_3977
20th November 2012, 03:13 PM
Hey guys & gals,

Just wanted to throw some questions everybody's way, I plan to build my own drawers in the pooey and was wondering if y'all can help?

What sort of wood is best?
What sliders/bearings should I use?
Where is the cheapest place to get materials?
Things like this.

And if anybody can throw me some measurements it would help heaps.

Any help would be great

Thanks Guys

threedogs
20th November 2012, 04:28 PM
may be a DIY thread in search engine, stay away from MDF, it hates water. Not a big fan of them as most weigh 80-100kg finished then you fill them up with stuff you'll forget is there.
So now we have 130kg of weight we're carting around for no reason and wondering why fuel consumption is so bad. Marine ply or gal/alloy sheet, covered in some style of marine carpet,
bearing place would help on what you need. Just for some more weight don't forget slideout or fold down table and a fridge slide.. Then of course you'll need cargo barrier adr approved, we at 150kg yet. design it all first not that hard if your handy with tools. If you require any welding just bring your fridge over my way and I'll give you a hand. While we're at it don't forget a false roof for the light stuff. that I'll be making for mine soon. should be at 200 kg now. PM anytime

NissanGQ4.2
20th November 2012, 06:13 PM
Is you Patrol a daily drive or weekend play toy?

If a daily drive and your not going away every weekend I would go for a removable system

There are a few DIY storage build threads in the DIY section located in the same section you have posted this question: http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/forumdisplay.php?105-Storage

Cheers

Toddie

BigRAWesty
20th November 2012, 07:19 PM
12mm ply. Drill and screw with glue in joints.
Use uhmw or nylon for draw slides.
Put locks on and fold away handles..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

krbrooking
20th November 2012, 07:59 PM
I used 12mm ply with marine carpet and steel sliders with bearings but if I did them again I would use the nylon or plastic idea(less mucking around). Not to dismiss what threedogs said but I am able to remove my side pannels and draws then remove the whole box by myself and I am still able to lift and move them around with the draws in them, don't get me wrong weight is definitely something you have to be aware of. It all depends on what you want to use them for. Like the others said have a search around look at some different ideas and pics and if you need sizes if you pm the person behind the one you like I am sure they will be more than happy to give you sizes and help. If you want look up "my rear draws" under my name and have a look at the I didn't put sizes and that as I am lazy. But if you want them I can post them up or pm you if you want.

threedogs
20th November 2012, 08:45 PM
If you pack smart and can find some decent storage containers, you may save a heap of heart break. Got to be a better way IMO.
Can assure you Cape York next year I wont have a storage system bolted in the back. I'd have come up with something new by then

matty_3977
21st November 2012, 12:22 PM
Thanks guys really a massive help.

Hopefully i can knock it together and show everybody the pics