PDA

View Full Version : Stainless or Safari snorkel??

Alitis007
18th November 2012, 07:51 PM
Hello all, just wanting to know the benefits of having the plastic safari snorkel or a stainless steel snorkel. Which one flows more? Is rear facing or forward facing better? I'm not sure how much the Safari snorkel is worth but i rekon i could make my own stainless snorkel with chance from $100.

Cheers

Winnie
18th November 2012, 07:53 PM
Mate if you can do that for that price why are you asking this question!!! Stainless looks shit hot. I'm getting one eventually.

growler2058
18th November 2012, 07:55 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?3502-How-to-make-your-own-4-quot-stainless-steel-snorkel Have a look here mate.

MudRunnerTD
18th November 2012, 08:01 PM
Hey George, great to see you make an appearance last night mate, you should have hung around for the Cookup! It was a winner.

I reckon the Safari looks good on the GU. Especially a nice shiny stock one like yours mate. Very nice clean car. The stainless looks good on a modded car with a tube bar so it really depends what your going to do to the car.

A 4" stainless has better flow than a safari and they face backwards because they would catch too much rain if they faced forward. The safari head is fluted to send the water out the base of the head rather than down the snorkel.

Cheers MR

nissannewby
18th November 2012, 08:05 PM
Safari actually make some decent flowing snorkels now. We put the new style one on the mrs GQ and its huge would be twice the size of the old style. I did a stainless one on my GQ and it cost me around $200. The expensive part was the 4" rubber bends I used.

threedogs
18th November 2012, 08:55 PM
I'm getting a brushed stainless one from from Les the Tinman in Vic. If you know his work you'll know what I mean. fully tig welded no rubber

MEGOMONSTER
18th November 2012, 09:43 PM
The Stainless steel snorkels look so tuff and u would assume breathe better.

Never argue with an idiot, cos he'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience. Y2K

Alitis007
18th November 2012, 10:17 PM
Daren thats why i'm asking, all the dust everywhere got me thinking sucking air from the inner guard can't be that healthy for the motor. I like the stocky look but the wheels were turning after i seen a few of the trols around the camp and the comp style bar looks a treat but thats for another thread lol. I have seen a couple of styles and i like thishttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/11/86.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/11/87.jpg Chris your not wrong at all bud bud as for flow dunno, how many trollers have had both and felt the difference??

Alitis007
19th November 2012, 09:07 AM
This would be cheaper and easier to make but IMO doesn't look neat, your thoughts??22589

taslucas
19th November 2012, 09:40 AM
I like the look of rubber elbows, I think it makes the snorkel look tough! If your looking to save some money then I reckon rubber elbows would be a lot cheaper than mandrel bending or welding. I have some pics and prices of mine near the end of the 'how to make your own stainless snorkel' thread.

EDIT: Here is mine... http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?8643-Taslucas-s-TB42-Ti/page16

Tap, crackle, pop

Sir Roofy
19th November 2012, 09:43 AM
George was great to meet you at the meet up like mr said should have stayed for the cook up
are you serious ?the stainless looks good on the gq,s but there tractors any way,your going to chop that ti then you wont be happy with it,i played around with doing it to my first gu a 4.5 in the end decided not to dont get me wrong i like the stainless pipe
but imo they dont suit the gu,s

Alitis007
19th November 2012, 01:40 PM
Taslucas, i prefer the solid look to me it looks neat and theres no black on my car to suit the rubber elbows and there is only $10 difference between the two types.

Roofy, likewise mate it was great to meet you too!! I would have stayed longer but i had to take my mates son home but next time i'll stick around longer for sure. As far as chopping the guard its easy to replace and if i went with the safari i would have to paint it so it blends in with the rest if the car, but my main concern was how efficient the two are in respect to flow. My plans with the motor is to change it to a v8 or a diesel if i can find a donor car at the right price but for now i want to enhance the 4.5 till thank wallet is thick enough for the upgrade. With the snorkel i was going to add either a patrol doctor zd30 air box or retro fit a BA pod type air box depending on which flows the most CFM. Also the stainless will blend in with the chrome grille and mirrors and the later the front bar which i will have a crack at fabing up with a mixture of stainless steel and painted mild steel. The cost of what i decide is pretty much shadowed by the performance of the two on the road because on paper everything looks fantastic so thats why i'm asking the question to see how they well they work on and off road.

BigRAWesty
19th November 2012, 02:36 PM
I'm one for solid stainless. A little more fiddly in the construction side. But once on its worth it IMO.
I've got a design in my mind..
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/11/93.jpg

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Alitis007
19th November 2012, 03:01 PM
Yeh i suppose the hard part would be getting it back thru the guard after your done welding it all together. I see in your pic you got rid of the arial, did u relocate it or totally delete it??

Sir Roofy
19th November 2012, 03:03 PM
taslucas, i prefer the solid look to me it looks neat and theres no black on my car to suit the rubber elbows and there is only $10 difference between the two types.

Roofy, likewise mate it was great to meet you too!! I would have stayed longer but i had to take my mates son home but next time i'll stick around longer for sure. As far as chopping the guard its easy to replace and if i went with the safari i would have to paint it so it blends in with the rest if the car, but my main concern was how efficient the two are in respect to flow. My plans with the motor is to change it to a v8 or a diesel if i can find a donor car at the right price but for now i want to enhance the 4.5 till thank wallet is thick enough for the upgrade. With the snorkel i was going to add either a patrol doctor zd30 air box or retro fit a ba pod type air box depending on which flows the most cfm. Also the stainless will blend in with the chrome grille and mirrors and the later the front bar which i will have a crack at fabing up with a mixture of stainless steel and painted mild steel. The cost of what i decide is pretty much shadowed by the performance of the two on the road because on paper everything looks fantastic so thats why i'm asking the question to see how they well they work on and off road.

patrol docta will set you back a pretty penny but a good choice imo then you,l have stainless all the way through
but i like your thinking

Sir Roofy
19th November 2012, 03:08 PM
i'm one for solid stainless. A little more fiddly in the construction side. But once on its worth it imo.
I've got a design in my mind..
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/11/93.jpg

kallen westbrook
owner of
westy's accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-westy-s-accessories.-a-small-back-yard-builder.)

as i said not against them,but looks like a sun viser would top it off nicely

nissannewby
19th November 2012, 03:22 PM
A panel filter out of a LS powered commodore or any decent size panel filter will run rings around the ZD30 style boxes even the patrol docta ones when it comes to cfm.

Alitis007
19th November 2012, 03:28 PM
patrol docta will set you back a pretty penny but a good choice imo then you,l have stainless all the way through
but i like your thinking

True Roofy but it will give you the best bang for your buck!! As you noticed on sat i like to keep my cars clean and tidy, even my weekend toy looks nothing like other cars that are owned by people around my age group. I try and give them character, i make them stand out to people who have interest in them but try and make them blend in with other cars so i don't get any unwanted attention. I rekon i can pull this off with the GU but apart from looking good HOW WELL DOES THE STAINLES SNORKEL WORK???

Alitis007
19th November 2012, 03:33 PM
A panel filter out of a LS powered commodore or any decent size panel filter will run rings around the ZD30 style boxes even the patrol docta ones when it comes to cfm.

What about the Ford BA XR8 / GT sport pod style??

nissannewby
19th November 2012, 03:43 PM
If the box is big enough then yeah it will still out do a ZD30 style box. If you have a look at the ZD30 boxes its actually the space you have left once you put the filter in. You will always notice a dirty circle on your filter this is where most of the air is being drawn through. I dont know the exact science of it but it makes sense. There is a really good write up on another forum about airboxes and their flow, one bloke has done some really good testing on them.

Alitis007
19th November 2012, 03:53 PM
Ok cool no dramas i'll have to search that out, cheers

Sir Roofy
19th November 2012, 03:56 PM
true roofy but it will give you the best bang for your buck!! As you noticed on sat i like to keep my cars clean and tidy, even my weekend toy looks nothing like other cars that are owned by people around my age group. I try and give them character, i make them stand out to people who have interest in them but try and make them blend in with other cars so i don't get any unwanted attention. I rekon i can pull this off with the gu but apart from looking good how well does the stainles snorkel work???

as said they draw more air than a safari,and you will get lots of character and blend in with us with lots of bush pinstripping
and mud and or dust come on the next meet up and enjoy a good day in the bush

Bloodyaussie
19th November 2012, 03:59 PM
Surprised you just buggered off mate.... I am for a safari on the Gu's..

Alitis007
19th November 2012, 04:26 PM
as said they draw more air than a safari,and you will get lots of character and blend in with us with lots of bush pinstripping
and mud and or dust come on the next meet up and enjoy a good day in the bush
Sorry must have missed it, and yeh no dramas mate it'll give me a good excuse to freshen up the duco haha.

Surprised you just buggered off mate.... I am for a safari on the Gu's.. I stuck around for a bit but had to do the boot to take my mates son back home, got to Diamond creek macas in 25mins and another 20 mins to get to sunshine coz the young bloke is into toymotors but the trols are starting to grow on him or thats what he says anyway lol

stevogq
19th November 2012, 04:27 PM
x2 with bloodyausie looks neet and suits the 4b

as for airflow imo it only counts if your pulling big hp or live in a climate like nt, everyone to there own choice

Alitis007
19th November 2012, 05:07 PM
x2 with bloodyausie looks neet and suits the 4b

as for airflow imo it only counts if your pulling big hp or live in a climate like nt, everyone to there own choice

My plan was to push the 4.5 into a corner and then throw in a gen3 i have thats collecting dust with sone mild work and a tuned stainless exhaust (like i made for my rx7) or find a rolled 4.2td to use as a donor car to do a transplant, so both motors suck like a hoover and im just setting the car up till then so the 4.5 can breath easy .

stevogq
19th November 2012, 05:19 PM
My plan was to push the 4.5 into a corner and then throw in a gen3 i have thats collecting dust with sone mild work and a tuned stainless exhaust (like i made for my rx7) or find a rolled 4.2td to use as a donor car to do a transplant, so both motors suck like a hoover and im just setting the car up till then so the 4.5 can breath easy .

im with the gen3 supercharge the hoover lol

Alitis007
19th November 2012, 06:51 PM
im with the gen3 supercharge the hoover lol

Hahaha!!! I have a mate that lives in epping with a GQ shorty gen3 turbo, it lifts the front wheels when you drop the clutch lol and does the best donuts in 4H i've ever seen!!!