PDA

View Full Version : door bumpers

optic
18th November 2012, 12:37 PM
Can any one please tell me how the external door buffer covers come off a GU.
Can they be removed from the out side?
IE pop off or do they attach from the inside?
Cheers and thanks.

BearGUST
19th November 2012, 10:30 AM
I've never taken one off a Patrol but I've taken plenty off other cars. Some have clips but not many, nearly all of them have a lot of urethane!
A heat gun can be handy, otherwise very carefully pry the moulding away and cut all the urethane. What do you want to remove them for?

optic
19th November 2012, 09:08 PM
They have started to lift on the ends, i can see rubber behind them and also some sort of white clip.
I ask my mechanic and he said double sided tape?
I just want to seal them before something starts growing behind them.

Squalo
20th November 2012, 02:45 AM
I have a set of GU3 door trims in my workshop, and can confirm that they do use clips (not sure about GU1/2 though; the external profile of those is different to GU3).

If the ones I have are any indication, the bit that sits in the door skin comes out when you pull the trim; I can't confirm that though as these came to me secondhand.

Pics of the inner side of the trims available if required! But I agree with Bear's method of removal - it would work fine with these. Just go easy, like with any plastic mouldings.

optic
5th December 2012, 03:31 PM
Just a follow up on this.
I found 3 clips behind the bumper guard.
I did this by removing the trim off it.
The guard its self has double sided contact rubber which attaches to the door and the guard about 1mm thick.
I have replaced the contact where it was lifting, this is not easy to do as i had to cut through some of it then remove the bad parts.
I found the front is completely glued to the door, no clips. This is the thin bit of the guard.
I could not get this undone and decided if it was that good it could stay as it was.
I used industrial double sided glass tape, but you need to remove all the dirt and dust from behind before you apply it.
Thanks for the help folks.